Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Jan 2009, 18:39 (Ref:2381598)   #1
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Teams question Williams and Toyota rear diffuser legality...

Apparently several teams including Renault have sought clairification on the design of the rear diffusers on the Toyota and Williams cars...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73038

I think if they rule against this it will really hurt Williams whom dont really have the spare cash to hurridly re-develop the rear of their car.
Lets hope its cleared and the rest can "copy".
Old 28 Jan 2009, 21:22 (Ref:2381679)   #2
TF1 Fan
Rookie

TF1 Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lets hope they are legal, good on Toyota and Williams for having something different.
Old 28 Jan 2009, 23:12 (Ref:2381745)   #3
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Nice, it will be legal I'm sure.
Old 29 Jan 2009, 00:09 (Ref:2381772)   #4
Spaced Invader
Racer

England
Attleborough, Norfolk
Spaced Invader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
for williams sake and the current climate with them having spent a ton of dosh on it i hope its legal...
Old 29 Jan 2009, 00:19 (Ref:2381777)   #5
F.O.F.
TeaTotal
Racer

Ireland
dublin
F.O.F. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I love to see stuff like this in F1,I hope they're found to be legal...and ferrari thought they were clever with their "wing mirrors"
Old 29 Jan 2009, 01:54 (Ref:2381809)   #6
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
I hope something comes along to 'diffuse' the situation.....I'll get me coat.

I've no doubt that they will be banned because one team or another (no names) can't incorporate said idea into their chassis.
Old 29 Jan 2009, 02:34 (Ref:2381824)   #7
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot
I hope something comes along to 'diffuse' the situation.....I'll get me coat.

I've no doubt that they will be banned because one team or another (no names) can't incorporate said idea into their chassis.

Don't leave...It will be sorted I am sure.
Old 29 Jan 2009, 02:49 (Ref:2381831)   #8
Malfunction Junction
Racer

Malfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMalfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2 things spring to mind;

1) In 1996, with the raised cockpit sides, Williams, McLaren and Jordan(have I got the right teams?) interpreted the rules differently to everybody else and produced a car with a relatively low side protection structure. Consequently everything else looked like a barge and drove accordingly. This was questioned at the first race and found legal.

2) Rival teams have decided to pursue this now, rather than waiting until the first race. This tells me that they believe it probably is legal and they want the time to do their own version, rather than springing it in Melbourne, confident that they've made the right call.
Old 29 Jan 2009, 02:51 (Ref:2381832)   #9
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the Ferrari wing mirror supports are legal then this must be as well, surely F1 opperates on a fair playing field and one team wouldn't be favoured by the rule makers...
Old 29 Jan 2009, 02:54 (Ref:2381833)   #10
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey 6 litre
If the Ferrari wing mirror supports are legal then this must be as well, surely F1 opperates on a fair playing field and one team wouldn't be favoured by the rule makers...

That would never happen...
Old 29 Jan 2009, 05:23 (Ref:2381857)   #11
browney
Racer

Australia
Adelaide, South Australia
browney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey 6 litre
If the Ferrari wing mirror supports are legal then this must be as well
Why? I don't know the aero rules at all well but these seem like such different parts of the car I can't imagine that there is the same issue with both of them that the legality of one determins the other?
Old 29 Jan 2009, 05:49 (Ref:2381865)   #12
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This is relevant:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autosport
An outright question about the legality of a rival car can only be lodged on a grand prix weekend, when a protest would need to be handed in to the race stewards.
So Malfunction and others may well be right. This is being questioned so that other teams can take advantage before Melbourne. Bit of a shame really.
Old 29 Jan 2009, 06:52 (Ref:2381882)   #13
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by browney
Why? I don't know the aero rules at all well but these seem like such different parts of the car I can't imagine that there is the same issue with both of them that the legality of one determins the other?
There should be no comparison between the two, but seeing as it all comes down to interpritation rather than ruling to what the majority of the teams come up with, its in exactly the same grey area of ruling which is one of the small areas left for real design innovation.
Old 29 Jan 2009, 07:42 (Ref:2381891)   #14
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
So something ruled to be legal by the FIA could be deemed illegal by the race stewards?
Old 29 Jan 2009, 08:17 (Ref:2381901)   #15
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo
So something ruled to be legal by the FIA could be deemed illegal by the race stewards?
I'm sure this has happened before...
Old 29 Jan 2009, 10:45 (Ref:2381966)   #16
Maccafan
Rookie

England
Hull, England
Maccafan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope they are legal. This is what race car designers do. Find loop-holes or grey areas in the rules and exploit them. If they didn't then we certainly wouldn't have cars like we do now.

Well done to Williams for finding something like that before a lot of the manufacturer teams with a lot larger budgets did.
Old 31 Jan 2009, 18:08 (Ref:2383314)   #17
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Someone from Autosport tries to explain it all.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73083

Are we any wiser I wonder? Although it is fairly obvious what is going on by looking at the diagrams.
Old 3 Feb 2009, 01:37 (Ref:2387055)   #18
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It sucks that other teams found out about it. It would have been nice to have the cars different for at least one race.

I don't understand why they consult with the FIA over grey areas. If it adheres to the rules, they should just run it.

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 3 Feb 2009, 04:49 (Ref:2387100)   #19
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isnt the idea of it being a grey area that the ruling could go either way? If it was clearly legal then it wouldnt be much of a grey area
Old 3 Feb 2009, 16:45 (Ref:2387552)   #20
Maccafan
Rookie

England
Hull, England
Maccafan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If there's no rule that say's it's illegal, then leave it the hell alone. It shouldn't need clarification.

We have some of the greatest car designers in the world working on these cars, and their talents are constantly stifled. Let them get on with it.

Rant over.
Old 4 Feb 2009, 08:06 (Ref:2387954)   #21
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
If there's no rule that say's it's illegal,
But that's exactly the question, isn't it? We have a rule, that needs interpretation (as any rule, law, provision, statute in the world). This interpretation is discussed right now with various arguments. So we cannot say yet that we do not have a rule that says it is illegal.
Old 4 Feb 2009, 10:03 (Ref:2388021)   #22
Chiefy
Veteran

Germany
Cottbus, Germany.
Chiefy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surely if the other teams just "copied" by producing their own versions, then everybody would be in the same boat and clarification would be superfluous.
Old 5 Feb 2009, 01:42 (Ref:2388620)   #23
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccafan
If there's no rule that say's it's illegal, then leave it the hell alone. It shouldn't need clarification.

We have some of the greatest car designers in the world working on these cars, and their talents are constantly stifled. Let them get on with it.

Rant over.

Well okay then...First of all welcome to the forum Now that you are calm, I hope you enjoy posting here!
Old 5 Feb 2009, 19:03 (Ref:2389256)   #24
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Its been ruled legal.

Game on.
Old 5 Feb 2009, 20:17 (Ref:2389307)   #25
Devilsadvocate
Rookie

Devilsadvocate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo
Its been ruled legal.

Game on.
But as Max points out, it does not mean the stewards in Australia might think differently. So rather than save money Max is prepared to allow other teams to copy this design between now and Australia but allow it to be banned then.

Personally, I think Max is playing a game. He is deliberately sticking to the rule book to annoy people. He knows he can use this as an example of the type of issue that is less likely to happen under a "spec" series F1.