Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 24 Apr 2011, 22:58 (Ref:2869315)   #51
bdwoody
Veteran

United Kingdom
redbridge southampton
bdwoody should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i have just read the whole thread and a golly good read its been , well done chaps and thanks for sharing those great pictures .
Old 25 Apr 2011, 08:42 (Ref:2869397)   #52
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Taylor View Post
Nice post Claire, enjoyed reading it.
Alfie, you posted a programme from Snett, and I see that JIM YARDLEY with his BEAGLE-FORDS. are listed. Just to let you know that Jim lives close by, in the same village, and is still building race cars.
Gerry
Jim Yardley and the Beagle, that rings a bell from something or other, did he enter some F3 Class B events in the early 80's (with Toyota power) by any chance?

Last edited by chunterer; 26 Apr 2011 at 21:04.
Old 26 Apr 2011, 08:15 (Ref:2869876)   #53
Alfie72
Rookie

United Kingdom
Buckingham
Alfie72 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gerry,

It's good to hear that Jim is still playing. I do miss the plethora of home engineered ideas that ranged across the grids "back along".

Please pass on all best wishes - and to you too.
Old 3 May 2011, 08:25 (Ref:2873343)   #54
Patrick Sumner
Rookie

Patrick Sumner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Andrew Kitson;2816911]Is this Jim Yardley's Mono Beagle...or Brian Toft's Anco?

Answer: Brian Toft's Anco. Lovely shot. Had many a dice with Brian in the old Mono days, as well as Jim Yardley whose Beagle was so quick. Glad to read that he is still constructing. Brian was very quick in the Anco and the car was owned in recent times by Tony Bianchi, but maybe he has sold it? What a good thread of great photos catching the period.
Old 6 May 2011, 11:09 (Ref:2875237)   #55
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Jim Yardley and the Beagle, that rings a bell from something or other, did he enter some F3 Class B events in the early 80's (with Toyota power) by any chance?
Chunterer, I believe he did, but I shall as Jim next time I see him.
Cheers matey.
Old 6 May 2011, 11:12 (Ref:2875239)   #56
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfie72 View Post
Gerry,

It's good to hear that Jim is still playing. I do miss the plethora of home engineered ideas that ranged across the grids "back along".

Please pass on all best wishes - and to you too.
Thank you for the good wishes, I will pass them on to Jim too, Alfie.
Gerry
Old 8 May 2011, 09:50 (Ref:2876643)   #57
petestenning
Veteran

petestenning should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have an attempt at putting together some entry lists i have from 1962 to 1967 on this website including a 2 hours special saloon race in 67 which maybe be of some interest to some of you .

Event 3 Two Hour Endurance Race for Special Saloon Cars

Class a Over 1300 CC

1...................................A.W.[Albert] Betts...................Jaguar MK1.......................3781

2 P.Ward.........OR...........D.Trotter.................................BMW 1800 TI...................1775

3 ..................................G.H.P.Thomas..........................Alfa Romeo GTA................1570

4 Tom Clapham.............Geoff Breakell..........................Alfa Romeo GTA................1570

6....................................W. Kay....................................Ford Cortina......................1598

7 ..................................Henry Hotham.........................Ford Cortina......................1558

8 Martin Maudling and Richard Sandilands....................Ford Anglia.......................1650

9 .................................Paul Tomlin...............................Ford Abglia........................1600

CLASS B 1001-1300 CC

12 Peter Wardle and.....D.Trotter..................................Renault R8.........................1275

14 Shaw & Kilburn........Han Akersloot.........................Vauxhall Viva......................1258

15................................Antony Youlten........................Cooper S.............................1293

16 Don Moore..............Michael Campbell-Cole.............Cooper S............................1275

17 ...............................Rex Finegan.............................Cooper S.............................1275

18 Wilsons Autos........Colin Youle /Chris Coburn.........Cooper S.............................1275

19...............................George Cayley..........................Cooper S.............................1275

CLASS C 851-1000CC

20...............................R.J.Rayner................................NSU Prinz..............................999

21 .............................John Wales...............................NSU TTS.................................996

22 .............................M.J.Gorman...............................Cooper S...............................999

23 ............................Peter Field.................................Cooper S...............................999

24 Ken Appleby.......R.Monk.......................................Cooper S...............................999

25 ............................L.S.Franklin................................Cooper S...............................998

26 ...........................Benjamin Orza............................Cooper..................................998

27 Freddie Jacks AND Ian Scholfield-Beevers..............Cooper S..............................999

28.............................Graham Bean.............................Cooper S...............................999

CLASS D Up to 850 CC

30............................Chris Alford.................................Saab 96................................841

31 ...........................A.J.Dalton.....................................Mini 850

32 D.J.T.Waring and P.C.Hughes.................................Mini 850

33...........................R.E.J.Wells....................................Mini 850

34 ..........................G.M.Shepherd...............................Mini 850

35 Barnet Motor Co.Gerry Marshall/Alan Keefe............Mini 850

36 ..........................Roger Williamson.........................Mini 850

37 Vagantune Engineering/Charles Aveling...............Mini 850

38 ..........................R.G.Rayner..................................Mini 850

RESERVES

40 Team 848............C.Hine......................................Mini 850

41 ............................M.Aldridge................................Ford Anglia..................1650

42 ............................R.Thompson.............................Cooper ........................997

44 G.Goodman/Graham Lloyd...................................Mini 850

45 ...........................Bernie Mayes............................Mini 850

46 ...........................John Bischoff............................Mini 850

47 ...........................G.B.Cooley................................Mini 850

http://historicraceinfo.webs.com/

Pete
Old 11 May 2011, 21:10 (Ref:2878975)   #58
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just found this thread, some excellent pictures and info. Only been going since 2001 (doesn't seem like 10 years!), but seen some interesting stuff there in my time, plus first published photograph!
Old 10 Jul 2011, 09:18 (Ref:2924447)   #59
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Jim Yardley. F3 Events.

Quote:
Sunday October 14th 1973.
Jim Yardley entered his: BEAGLE-FORD Mk. 3. in The John Player F.3 Event at Mallory Park. Appearing alongside him were: Jacques Laffite BP Racing Martini Ford Holbay Mk.12 & Randy Lewis, Mike Tyrell, Valentino Musetti ( The stunt driver) and many others top F.3 drivers.
Cheers.
Gerry.
Old 10 Jul 2011, 10:50 (Ref:2924479)   #60
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Taylor View Post
Sunday October 14th 1973.
Jim Yardley entered his: BEAGLE-FORD Mk. 3. in The John Player F.3 Event at Mallory Park. Appearing alongside him were: Jacques Laffite BP Racing Martini Ford Holbay Mk.12 & Randy Lewis, Mike Tyrell, Valentino Musetti ( The stunt driver) and many others top F.3 drivers.
Cheers.
Gerry.
Pretty exalted company for Jim there then Gerry!

I've got a feeling Jim ran his Beagle in Class B in the early/mid 80's as well? I'll have to check it out.
Old 12 Jul 2011, 12:25 (Ref:2925539)   #61
Les Dalton
Rookie

France
Chez Jeanmet Charmant 16320 France
Les Dalton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Snetterton Circuit

Bon Jour All,
This is a very nostalgic thread with some superb pictures of circuit as it was originally.
I had the pleasure of racing at Snetterton during the 1990s whilst competing in the national BMW saloon car championships, indeed, my first race win was at Snet.
I shall try to attach some pictures from the various races for your perusal's.
One meeting we had which must have been 95/96, the Beema's were the first race which we just finished when the heavens opened up, the next race was the National formula 3 race which actully started but was stpped before the distance because of the torrential rain.
What sticks in my mind from the F3 race was a certain Jenson Button who got into the lead and spun off on at least four occasions, boy, did he give it some wellie!!!
Regards from France,
Les Dalton.

[IMG]

The two pictures with the dust and boot lid up, were taken when I got quite a heavy punt "up the boot lid!!" by an M3 with no brakes coming into Russels.

Old 13 Jul 2011, 14:32 (Ref:2926072)   #62
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Les, is that big old Beemer (67) still around? What engine?
Old 13 Jul 2011, 22:14 (Ref:2926263)   #63
Les Dalton
Rookie

France
Chez Jeanmet Charmant 16320 France
Les Dalton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bon Soir John,
As far as I know, Ethel, my old M5 race Beema was written off in an accident at Donnington park in 1998.
I bought it for £2500 in 1995 with more competative miles on it than the space shuttle Columbia, spent quite a bit sorting it out and then raced it in the BMW national championships and managed to win the class and finish 4th overall from 35 very quick M5,M3 325, and various other well prepared cars in 1997, and I sold her at the begining of the 1998 season to keep my daughter in Keele university.
Ethel was quite old and I cant remember the year, I think, about 1984/5? although the registration number that was on her when I bought it was YKp 275 X, and she had a 230BHP lump with the usual Getrag gearbox, first time out she was showing about 135 mph down the Revet straight at Snetterton, Colin Wells in an M3 running along side me thought the front RH wheel was going to come off!!because it was vibrating that much.
Here are a few pictures of the infamous Ethel at various tracks around the UK.

I ran the car on a very limited budget, and in fact, during the 1997 season, I managed to make four Khumo race tyres last the whole season (most of the lads changed them for every race) mind you, by the last race at Silverstone, they were pretty Slick, which made it a bit exciting in the torrential rain we had for that meeting.
Kind Regards, and thank you for adding the S to Autin.
Les Dalton.
Old 14 Jul 2011, 08:11 (Ref:2926383)   #64
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Great info, thanks Les
Old 27 Oct 2011, 15:41 (Ref:2977762)   #65
diddy100
Racer

England
Within ear shot of Snetterton !
diddy100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I found a few slides I had converted to digital of some F1 testing from the late 70's early 80's
http://www.flickr.com/photos/5130501...7627990545544/

Also have some others I am trying sort out - will load later
Old 29 Oct 2011, 08:42 (Ref:2978512)   #66
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Good pics Diddy. We all had a great evening on Thursday at Snetterton in 'Tyrrells' with many Snetterton legends, the actual 60th anniversary of the first meeting. When you are next at Snett, pop in to Tyrrells, the place now has great photos of the 60 years, all around the bar-restaurant showing the great champions winning races there.
Link to photos of the dinner, with a great 1965 F2 video I sourced for them to show on the night.
http://news.motorsportvision.co.uk/s...niversary.aspx
Old 31 Oct 2011, 15:02 (Ref:2979628)   #67
diddy100
Racer

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kitson View Post
Good pics Diddy. We all had a great evening on Thursday at Snetterton in 'Tyrrells' with many Snetterton legends, the actual 60th anniversary of the first meeting. When you are next at Snett, pop in to Tyrrells, the place now has great photos of the 60 years, all around the bar-restaurant showing the great champions winning races there.
Link to photos of the dinner, with a great 1965 F2 video I sourced for them to show on the night.
http://news.motorsportvision.co.uk/s...niversary.aspx
Andrew thanks - a few more - I have a lot on 35mm slide I need to get converted to digital. I will call in at Snett this week to see who is testing. A few more
http://www.flickr.com/photos/5130501...7627895211411/
Old 31 Oct 2011, 15:42 (Ref:2979642)   #68
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Superb Diddy...Strawberry Strawson's Capri (It was Ant Davidson's dad Denis who painted the strawberries on the roof!), Colin Hawker's DFVW, Pete Baldwin's Mini & Mike Thackwell testing the F2 March 802.
Meanwhile...pics from inside Tyrrell's showing the photographic display:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=be745d3c00
Old 2 Nov 2011, 08:43 (Ref:2980497)   #69
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Diddy...your shots of Strawson's Capri, Baldwin's Mini & Hawker's DFVW were all taken 26th June '77..I was there too. The red FF Crossle no.37 behind Hawker's car is Kenny Acheson's 32F...before he came to Royale in '78 when I was team 'gofer'!
Old 3 Nov 2011, 13:08 (Ref:2981067)   #70
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kitson View Post
Superb Diddy...Strawberry Strawson's Capri (It was Ant Davidson's dad Denis who painted the strawberries on the roof!), Colin Hawker's DFVW, Pete Baldwin's Mini & Mike Thackwell testing the F2 March 802.
Meanwhile...pics from inside Tyrrell's showing the photographic display:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=be745d3c00
Andy, the Thackwell pic is interesting, looks like he's in a Marlboro coloured 802, not his own ICI green one. Is he out in de Crasheris's car?
Old 3 Nov 2011, 20:54 (Ref:2981240)   #71
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Rear View Post
Andy, the Thackwell pic is interesting, looks like he's in a Marlboro coloured 802, not his own ICI green one. Is he out in de Crasheris's car?
Was that a Project4 March or another team running Marlboro cars at the time of the test? Onyx didn't come til later did they?
Old 4 Nov 2011, 08:28 (Ref:2981364)   #72
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Was that a Project4 March or another team running Marlboro cars at the time of the test? Onyx didn't come til later did they?

Much later - Onyx first ran in Marlboro colours in 1984, the sponsorship deal coming with Emanuele Pirro for the last season of F2.
Old 4 Nov 2011, 10:31 (Ref:2981399)   #73
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Much later - Onyx first ran in Marlboro colours in 1984, the sponsorship deal coming with Emanuele Pirro for the last season of F2.
Thanks, thought so.

That sponsor went with the driver rather than the team as such for a long time.
Old 24 Nov 2011, 19:06 (Ref:2990959)   #74
diddy100
Racer

England
Checkout the recently released online Snetterton films from the 60's etc on the East Anglian Film Archive site. They have just released batch of films to view for free. Great films of the Lombank Trophy meetings - website www.eafa.org.uk. Search by places - Snetterton
Old 24 Nov 2011, 19:51 (Ref:2990964)   #75
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Thanks, a couple of the clips seem to be from Silverstone?