Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 11 Feb 2004, 15:16 (Ref:870777)   #1
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sports 2000 - 1978

Whilst rummaging recently I found this...ahhhh those were the days
http://paulsands.org/hwt2.jpg
Old 11 Feb 2004, 15:31 (Ref:870789)   #2
Speedy norm
Racer

Speedy norm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice photo Oulton Park 1978? but can you name them all?
Old 11 Feb 2004, 15:36 (Ref:870796)   #3
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I reckon I can..Frank Sytner(19), John Webb, John Brindley(2), John Trevelyan(24), Wayne Wainwright & Chris Alford(23)mainly out of shot
The only one I'm not sure is whether it is John Webb directly behind Frank Sytner and yes I believe it is Oulton Park
Old 11 Feb 2004, 16:41 (Ref:870869)   #4
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Paul - it is Oulton, Old Hall and correct, John Webb in 2nd place in his 'Auto Association Trade Show 78' sponsored Tiga. Others from those days, Mike Kimpton, Desire Wilson, Nick Adams, Peter Sadler, Roger Woodward, Nick Linney, John Bury, Adrian Hall, Dud Moseley, Jeremy Rossiter, John Sheldon, Rod Gretton, Ian McCullough etc.
Old 11 Feb 2004, 21:03 (Ref:871179)   #5
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm pleased to be able to tell you that I shook down the prototype Lola Sports 2000 (490 ?) with Mr Broadley in 76 at Snetterton, the first of the S2000s. Also the March proto in whenever it was. Both were good straight out of the box.
Had a year in the US (East Coast) with a Tiga in 86 too.
Old 12 Feb 2004, 21:25 (Ref:872415)   #6
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
do you still race?
Old 13 Feb 2004, 17:54 (Ref:873406)   #7
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Webb Tiga pictured was one of only 2 SC77s made as I recall, the other one (ex-Brindley ?) was sold after the 77 season to Ernie Farncombe and sprinted from 78 onwards I think.

Shortly after the picture I believe Webb baled out and got a Lola, so making the grid nearly 100% Lola. Tigas came back though and were dominant in S2000 from early 79 onwards, up to the Aquila/Shrikes from 83 on. I wonder why the 77 Tiga didn't work, but the cars from 78 on were brilliant, any ideas ???

I think the March John refers to was the 81S, the year when March made cars for just about every category.
Old 13 Feb 2004, 21:04 (Ref:873583)   #8
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hi Paul; well I enjoyed 34 seasons and made BRDC membership, but I need to concentrate on earning a living really - but I would if I would asked! Something nice in historics would be good. Someone I know is getting an F2 March BMW together which would be crisp. I have a couple of mates with super early Porsche racers; always happy to get my bum in one of those. I was at the Porsche factory the other day, drooling over the Carrera GT . . . !
Dan, you're spot on as usual on the March. The S2000 effort seemed to run out of steam rather.
Old 19 Feb 2004, 13:58 (Ref:879376)   #9
Dan Rear
Veteran

John, whats the F2 March you mention, sounds very interesting. Re the March S2000 cars, I think Rob Wilson went well in one after you tested in 81, sporadic cars came out uo to 84, I think including the Bridge brothers amongst others. They always looked well, just not quite as quick as the best Shrikes of that era.
Old 22 Feb 2004, 19:35 (Ref:882061)   #10
gfm
Veteran

Hi Dan. re the March F2, it's a basket case just now, so we'll see.
Re the March S2000, it's aerodynamics appeared to be poor, the rear deck too long and high, not slippery enough.
Old 21 Oct 2005, 12:47 (Ref:1439735)   #11
mohauck
Rookie

mohauck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tiga Sc 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Rear
The Webb Tiga pictured was one of only 2 SC77s made as I recall, the other one (ex-Brindley ?) was sold after the 77 season to Ernie Farncombe and sprinted from 78 onwards I think.

Shortly after the picture I believe Webb baled out and got a Lola, so making the grid nearly 100% Lola. Tigas came back though and were dominant in S2000 from early 79 onwards, up to the Aquila/Shrikes from 83 on. I wonder why the 77 Tiga didn't work, but the cars from 78 on were brilliant, any ideas ???

I think the March John refers to was the 81S, the year when March made cars for just about every category.
I own Webb's 77 TIGA and have a letter by the constructing engineer explaining why the car was so difficult to drive. Mostly because they had no experience in sportscars and used some of the existing F2000 suspension gear. I race this car in historics and it is still very entertaining to drive if not fast.

By the way: Does anyone know something of the whereabouts of Brindley's SC77 which was sold to Ernie Farncombe who raced it in 81 with a BDA engine (must have been frightening).

My car was sold to Sweden and also fitted with more powerful engines. Does anyone have some informations about this car between 1979 and 1999? it then was painted red and then yellow and fitted with a rear wing.

I would be glad for any news.
Old 21 Oct 2005, 12:59 (Ref:1439742)   #12
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohauck
I own Webb's 77 TIGA and have a letter by the constructing engineer explaining why the car was so difficult to drive. Mostly because they had no experience in sportscars and used some of the existing F2000 suspension gear. I race this car in historics and it is still very entertaining to drive if not fast.

My car was ....... also fitted with more powerful engines.
I can't imagine that improved its driveability much!

Welcome to 10-Tenths, mohauck.
Old 24 Oct 2005, 08:09 (Ref:1441832)   #13
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whats this?

Sports 2000 was one of my favorite classes, I have a only a few pictres of the cars but this one has troubled me, any idea what it was (is)?

If you look around the gallery there are also some pictures of Sheldon, Webb, Fulmar etc.

The pictures are all from different meetings and years, some I have id some are just a guess. If you think some are wrong let me know and it will be changed.
Old 24 Oct 2005, 09:27 (Ref:1441903)   #14
Dan Rear
Veteran

Nordic, it doesn't look quite like a S2000 does it? I wonder if it was one of the very early cars that pre-dated the series in 1977. I recall a couple of F100 Royale RP4s were converted to S2000, Jack Paterson had one, and Peter Slade also I think. Wonder if its one of these?
Old 24 Oct 2005, 21:41 (Ref:1442583)   #15
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Nordic, I ran an Aquila a bit later than this. It was an 83 car (ex mike O'Brien) that I had in 85. Any pictures? We did mainly Thundersports with it.

TIA

Max
Old 25 Oct 2005, 09:11 (Ref:1442857)   #16
Dan Rear
Veteran

Quote:
Nordic, it doesn't look quite like a S2000 does it? I wonder if it was one of the very early cars that pre-dated the series in 1977. I recall a couple of F100 Royale RP4s were converted to S2000, Jack Paterson had one, and Peter Slade also I think. Wonder if its one of these?
Dog-walking this am, the 'mystery' S2000 came to me. I reckon its the first Crossle, the 42S, that came out in 1980 with David Leslie I think. The no. 42 being the clue.
Old 25 Oct 2005, 16:27 (Ref:1443179)   #17
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman
Nordic, I ran an Aquila a bit later than this. It was an 83 car (ex mike O'Brien) that I had in 85. Any pictures? We did mainly Thundersports with it.

TIA

Max
Sorry max I don't have any pictures of your car.

Thanks Dan for the info, I will change the title when I get a chance. The white helmet tallies with Leslie as well.
Old 13 Dec 2005, 12:40 (Ref:1483073)   #18
barnytrevelyan
Rookie

barnytrevelyan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John Trevelyan

Hey guys, came accross this forum whilst trying to find old photos of my dad (John Trevelyan).. Like the S2000 shot at the top of this forum, but not meaning to be greedy, any idea of places to look for more??
Old 25 May 2006, 22:32 (Ref:1619072)   #19
MaxMotus
Rookie

United Kingdom
Loughborough
MaxMotus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulSands
Whilst rummaging recently I found this...ahhhh those were the days
http://paulsands.org/hwt2.jpg

I'll check it out with my dad next time hes over. I'm sure he will know exactly who they are in the picture as he raced S2000 back then.

MM
Old 28 May 2006, 02:20 (Ref:1620522)   #20
Howard Wood
Rookie

New Zealand
Auckland
Howard Wood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

I worked for Howden Ganley and Tim Schenken on a one off project basis on the SC77. Briefly, the car was designed by a bloke was working in the design office at McLarens and who's name escapes me. Howden took the project on thinking it was a lot more developed and ready for production than it was and one way or another had to complete the cars already ordered.
There was no Tiga basis in the original design unlike the later and more successful cars.

Last edited by John Turner; 28 May 2006 at 09:57. Reason: Just putting quote in parenthesis
Old 29 May 2006, 15:31 (Ref:1622130)   #21
MaxMotus
Rookie

United Kingdom
Loughborough
MaxMotus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

The Picture is taken at Oulton Parks Old Hall Corner.

19 Frank Sytner - Lola 492.

1 John Pancho Webb - Tiga.

2 John Brindley - Lola 492.

Behind Car 2 Wayne Wainright - Lola 492.

24 John Travelian - Lola 490 (Front radiator).

3 Chris Alford - Lola 492.

According to my father who raced in the series at the same time. I do know Chris Alford so I will check with him at somestage.

MM

Last edited by MaxMotus; 29 May 2006 at 15:40.
Old 30 May 2006, 09:05 (Ref:1622731)   #22
Dan Rear
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Wood
I worked for Howden Ganley and Tim Schenken on a one off project basis on the SC77. Briefly, the car was designed by a bloke was working in the design office at McLarens and who's name escapes me. Howden took the project on thinking it was a lot more developed and ready for production than it was and one way or another had to complete the cars already ordered.
There was no Tiga basis in the original design unlike the later and more successful cars.
Howard, I think it was a chap called Steve Webb (?) who designed the SC77, which Tiga built but did not come up with. Wonder who he was, I'd never heard of him before, or since.
Old 30 May 2006, 11:01 (Ref:1622823)   #23
RTH
Racer

RTH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

This was me in 1981 , the car was a Tiga 78 fitted with the later '79 bodywork which was lighter and appeared to have a better drag/downforce ratio. We did all the 200mile/2hr races at the time . Lovely cars to drive with very high cornering speed capability. This was a period of Ian Taylor and James Weaver who were really in a different talent class to just about everyone else. Good fun days.
Mike (Jersey) Taylor flew in for each race from the Channel islands , from the Hotel chain his parents owned, could be quick , had a lot of crashes and I think used up several new cars during the year.
Old 31 May 2006, 11:59 (Ref:1623736)   #24
Dan Rear
Veteran

It was Steve Harvey, not Steve Webb, who I meant a post or 2 up. I saw you Richard at the 81 Mallory Enduro S2000, with Nick Atkins and one other driver. 78 Tigas were v rare over here, so your car was a little different, tho' visually identical to the 79 and 80 cars IIRC.
Old 31 May 2006, 16:45 (Ref:1623962)   #25
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
What an excellent thread, i'm gonna have to rate it after!

Some of the names from '78 are obviously quite well known after all the other things they did as well. I remember seeing some of the races in '84 when it was still quite a competitive series with the likes of Sean Walker, James Thomson the Hillclimb ace (who tried to do what Andy Priaulx has successfully done today) Mike O Brien, Bill Coombs and Ian Flux I think.

Slightly off topic, Somebody mentioned the Aquila from 1983 that O Brien campaigned into '84. Did this Marque become Shrike towards the end of the category's heyday or am I thinking of different people?

Back to '78 drivers, We know Fearless Frank went onto a succesful touring car career (although not initially), but two other guys mentioned also attempted to follow the BTCC route IIRC.

Mike Kimpton and Wayne Wainwright were entered in Grp 1 Capris in the early 80's, it might have been around the time that Sytner had a crack in the TWR Rover or maybe bit before that? Anyone know who they drove for?