Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Closed Thread

Old 4 Aug 2004, 09:13 (Ref:1055897)   #26
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Chris Townsend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Allen and jj

Good we now know the chassis numbers of the two real FB Mk21s and pretty much who had them and when in period. Any way we can get a handle on the users of the F3 versions - that way we can nail down the second Smiley car that was built from Vermillio's F3.

Chris
Old 27 Nov 2004, 01:22 (Ref:1165333)   #27
David Clubine
Rookie

David Clubine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Smiley Mk21 Merlyn

We currently own the Merlyn Mk21 Ex Smiley car (chassis 320).
It is in an unrestored state and is complete except for engine and gearbox.
We have owned it since the early 1990's

David Clubine
Britain West Motorsport
519-756-1610
dclubine@sentex.net
Ontario Canada
Old 27 Nov 2004, 20:19 (Ref:1165795)   #28
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
David

Do you know who raced the Mk21 after Smiley? Does the log book show Loring in it next? Then who?

Regards

Allen
Old 6 Apr 2006, 01:31 (Ref:1571858)   #29
Davhut
Racer

Davhut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In researching this exact model Merlyn and a particular single car, came across this site.
I know a lot about Gordon Smiley's Merlyn Mk.21...so here's the story.
In 1970/71 he blitzed the FF class in the States, winning on speedways (then the IMSA F100 events) in a Merlyn Mk 17. Due to his success and sponsor's money, based in Kansas City, Missouri (dead center of US) they became the Merlyn Factory Team in FF and FB here. His sponsor was a hugely successful dealer of used airplanes.
Late 1971 they received the second Mk 21 constructed (first went to the team campaigning Jody Scheckter in EuropeI can't remember F3 or F2), the "A" version (with a rounded and "BT29 type nose, upper radiator exit). This car arrived in current European configuration, without any wings, and was immediately successful and winning club FB races in the SCCA. It was one of the first small formula cars to race in the states on full slick tires, and was always faster than the F5000 cars in the same races. Smiley continued his success winning many FF races in the factory Mk 20, sat on pole for its first three races and (using FB front tires) was the first evern FF on slicks (the rear) for Daytona FF and Road Atlanta SCCA championships in 1971. He dominated most club and some professional races in the Mk 21, w/Lotus TwinCam (typically supplied by Brian Hart, but also Californian Gene Crowe). It was also updated with front wings and a tiny rear wing above the engine (as in photo). Shortly thereafter an aero engineer friend I introduced, designed a bigger, more effective rear wing sited behind the FT200. As competition this car had March 71M (FB 712) and the following year the 722, plus the coolest small FB I've ever seen, Allan McCall's first TUI in Bert Hawthorn's skilled hands. He and Smiley were very unfriendly, to say the least, rivals and mostly Smiley got the better of Hawthorn in both FB and the IMSA FF races at Talledega and Daytona.
In 1974 I accompanied Smiley to England to race the factory supported Mk25 FF and we also built up a Mk 21 "B" version (wide, flat nose, bigger wings) which saw a couple events in the Player's Atlantic series with big wings, slicks and a BDA. Thereafter Smiley had a falling out with Merlyn and switched to Royale in FF and raced the first Elden Atlantic car, a sweet and tiny machine with twin front radiators and little frontal area. It went like a scalded cat and he finished, I believe 4th in the debut at Brands.
The Mk 21 A in the States was acquired by chief mechanic Charlie Williams, also of Kansas City, who converted the car to FAtl spec and it was raced on several occasions by David Loring. (Loring graduated to more competitive March that Gilles Villeneuve had to vacate due to broken bones suffered in a crash). The Merlyn was sold and thereafter disappeared. The only other US Mk 21 was that of Porter Brownlee from Arkansas, a "B" version in spec and driven far less quickly and successfully. It never featured professionally and to my knowledge was the last "big bore" Merlyn imported.
I'm going to try to post a photo of the Smiley Merlyn at a racetrack called "Mid-America Raceways," a huge bravery track of about 3+ miles, up and down hills, through woods with a half mile long front straight near St. Louis. At one time Smiley held the lap records in a Triumph Spitfire, Merlyn FF and Merlyn FB simultaneously.
I would very much like to find this chassis for restoration purposes and can be reached at:
dylngh@hotmail.com
Old 6 Apr 2006, 01:33 (Ref:1571860)   #30
Davhut
Racer

Tried to send Private message unsuccessfully.

By the way, the Mk 21 in England, the converted F3 car of Bernard Vermillio (a rival of Smiley's in Mk. 25 FFs in England 1974) was crashed because we went to a rain race with only slicks and Gordon was nothing if not brave.

Last edited by Davhut; 6 Apr 2006 at 01:37. Reason: thought this was a private message
Old 6 Apr 2006, 01:43 (Ref:1571863)   #31
Davhut
Racer

Second photo of Merlyn Mk 21
Old 6 Apr 2006, 03:02 (Ref:1571883)   #32
Davhut
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjordan
...Race America was the offical US imported of Merlyn cars...
Race America was in Dallas. It was owned by an airline pilot named Bill Ippolito. He was one of the first purchasers of Merlyn Mk 11 FF. (I remember he paid cash for a red one and raced it first in Ft. Sumner, New Mexico...home of Billy the Kid). Ippolito purchased the Merlyn US rights from Robert Smith, who owned LOTUS SOUTHWEST at the North end of Love Field in mid-town (where I worked as a parts runner while in high school). It was one of about 2 or 3 active US Lotus distributors of both street cars (the wonderfully go-kart like Elan and the truly awful Europa Type 46 Renault engined thing). Smith relinquished Lotus to take on Merlyn in the year Tim Schenken won all his British FF races, I believe that was 1968.
Smiley's Merlyns came directly from the factory in Colchester to Kansas City in some manner since he'd been named the works supported US driver, and his FFs and FBs weren't a part of Race America's transactions. That company made most of their sales to various drivers schools in California (Russell & etc.).
Fun old times, those!
Old 6 Apr 2006, 03:12 (Ref:1571884)   #33
Davhut
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbrown
See what you mean about Kansas. The only other driver in my database with a Kansas home town was one Gordon Gresham. He raced a Formula Junior Lotus 20 between 1964 and 1967.
Allen
Smiley was born in Omaha, Nebaska.
Both Masten Gregory and Rodger Ward, two time winner of the Indy 500 and USAC Champion in the 1950s were originally from Kansas. Far from Kansas, actually ending up in Paris and LA! Also oilman Jack Hinkle, who owned a bunch of famous 1950s era Indy 500 roadsters and later raced big Can-Am cars in club events
A great read for anyone, especially you Brits that want to learn all about early Champ Car/Roadster era racing is Brock Yates "AGAINST DEATH & TIME" about racing in the 1950s...a non-stop classic like "ALL BUT MY LIFE."
Old 6 Apr 2006, 07:22 (Ref:1571948)   #34
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome David!
Old 9 Apr 2006, 17:53 (Ref:1574692)   #35
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

jj, David

I've just managed to get hold of the results of a pair of FB races at Bogota, Colombia, in February and March 1972.

Smiley was there, in what was described as a "works one-off". Presumably there's a bit of spin on that description and he was driving his usual Mk 21 [320-FB-71]. Any thoughts chaps?

Allen
Old 11 Apr 2006, 17:23 (Ref:1578696)   #36
Davhut
Racer

Hi, Allen.
I was there with Smiley and his childhood friend and constant mechanic Joe Kidd, who is still remembered by Clive. The description you mention is indeed a bit of a spin, but with 20/20 hindsight. At the time, his Mk 21 was the only FB chassis in existence, before the second US chassis (the Brownlee car) and any FAtl variants, it was a "one off!" and we all certainly always considered it a "works" car due to the previous explained relationship with CRD.
For some reason never understood, Smiley, the car and us wrenches had a miserable racing time and never got hooked up enough to feature in any of the events (there were heats in each race). I vaguely recall some fuel feed difficulties (very high altitude outside Bogota) and having to replace the under chassis brake fluid line.
It was great good fun in the "old school" manner...everyone rode a big bus out to the track in the mountains, drivers, mechanics, press, etc. and the scenery, tales of the nights activities, and constant driver and friend "wind-ups" extremely funny knowing Gordon was one of the funniest men I've ever known.
I'd be interested in you emailing me the entry/results lists if time permits.
Old 11 Apr 2006, 19:28 (Ref:1578780)   #37
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

I don't have the entry lists - would love them if you happen across them - but the results of the two races are here and here.

Allen
Old 24 May 2006, 20:54 (Ref:1618215)   #38
Davhut
Racer

I've just been emailed an extremely awful photograph of David Loring in the ex-Gordon Smiley Merlyn Mk 21 (now converted to later style nose and BDA) in his last Atlantic ride in this car.
I think it interesting because of the body changes.
Sorry for the quality, I don't actually know where this image originated.
Old 18 Sep 2006, 14:03 (Ref:1712938)   #39
Davhut
Racer

Old Photos Found!

Posting the last of my collection of Merlyn Mk 21 photos from 1971/72 US racing seasons and 1974 UK F-Atlantic.

The Merlyn Mk 21 Formula B (Lotus twincam) first two races in US. First in sunshine in Kansas (ended in crash with backmarker), second in pouring rain at MAR (victory).

The FB car ready for FB runoffs with wings in 1972. I still think this is among the most beautiful FB cars ever built and kept to a very high standard by Joe Kidd and driver Gordon Smiley.

The "raw" Vermillio Mk 21 F-3 chassis as recovered from the loft of some old garage!

The finished BDA powered FAtlantic conversion ready for first race.

Old 22 Sep 2006, 20:26 (Ref:1716689)   #40
Ol'_Motorhead
Rookie

Canada
Canada
Ol'_Motorhead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Townsend
Allen

Loring places 4th at Westwood with a Merlyn in 74. This seems to be his only appearance in the car that year [though apart from Sanair, Westwood is the only race where I have full runners and riders.] In any case he took over the Villeneuve 74B for a while when Gilles was injured.
Chris
According to Cdn. M/S Bulletin he dnf'd in the Merlyn at the 2nd race in Edmonton due to a flat tire (Oops, tyre ) and finished 13th (1 point) at the next race in Gimli. The report states the rear wing came adrift during pract./Qual. and they fitted a "borrowed" one from another marque. He drove a March 73 at Mosport in the 4th race owned by Dale Lang and out of Joe Grimaldi stable. He got 7 points in Quebec and 0 points in NFLD. He did not dns in Nova Scotia. HTH.

Old enough to know better, young enough to have another go!
Old 23 Sep 2006, 00:47 (Ref:1716814)   #41
Ol'_Motorhead
Rookie

Canada
Canada
Typo

Re-read my post - it appears the old double negative snuck in. I meant to say he had a dns in Nova Scotia. Also, he was listed as a finisher at Mosport in the March but scored no points. He would have been 14th or lower. There is a photo of David at speed in the Merlyn at Gimli in CMB. I could post it if one, I knew how to and two, it's b&w on newsprint and not that sharp. I could scan it and sent it to Chris or Allen to post if anyone's interested to see it. Cheers.

Old 24 Sep 2006, 09:54 (Ref:1717460)   #42
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Rob

I think that since I made that post about Loring's 1974 appearances our records on the 1974 Canadian season have improved dramatically - mainly thanks to your contributions!

Westwood 25 May 4th Merlyn Mk21 [320/FB/71]-BDA Nicholson
Edmonton 2 June R Merlyn Mk21 [320/FB/71]-BDA Nicholson
Gimli 16 June 15th Merlyn Mk21 [320/FB/71]-BDA Nicholson
Mosport 2 July R March 74B [2]-BDA Raceshop [Grimaldi]
Sanair 14 July 9th March 74B [3]-BDA Greatorex [Ecurie Canada]
St Johns 27 July R engine March 74B [3]-BDA Greatorex [Ec. Canada]
That seems to be the last race, but need more [much more] on Trois Rivieres and the lower orders at Waterford Hills

Chris
Old 24 Sep 2006, 15:22 (Ref:1717666)   #43
Ol'_Motorhead
Rookie

Canada
Canada
Trois Rivieres

Right - check your personal e-mail. I may have overlooked sending you a report.
Cheers.

Old 12 Oct 2006, 19:53 (Ref:1736549)   #44
spb3
Rookie

spb3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Merlyn Mk-21

Someone forwarded me this thread which stimulated me to reply.

I'm Porter Brownlee and I owned one of the Mk-21s under discussion. Bought it from Race America (Bill Ippolito - does anyone know where he is?) in late 1972, ran 1 or 2 races, then all of the 73 and part of the 74 seasons in the Midwest Division.

I found the car to be an extremely stable platform though without the chassis rigidity (and responsiveness) of the March I raced later. None the less, I had a lot of success with the car and recall it fondly.

Porter
Old 14 Oct 2006, 09:07 (Ref:1737614)   #45
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Porter

Welcome to the forum! I would really like to discuss your March/Marches? with you. Take a look at the infinite number of March threads and see if there's one that's suitable. Identifying FB Marches in SCCA is a bit of a nightmare, so I'm hoping you can throw light in one corner.

Chris
Old 14 Oct 2006, 13:52 (Ref:1737786)   #46
Davhut
Racer

Porter, welcome.
I have photos of your light blue Merlyn at MAR, must have been 1974? You still in Razorbackland?
David
Old 1 Dec 2006, 16:06 (Ref:1779635)   #47
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
All recent posts copied to the chassis archive thread if the same name, here:-

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...t=81240&page=3

This thread now locked!
Closed Thread