Old 16 May 2006, 17:36 (Ref:1611683)   #1
shugruah
Rookie

Portugal
Porto
shugruah should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"to put Midland in the top 5"

http://www.ojogo.pt/22-84/artigo553294.htm

In this interview Alex shnaider gives a different image of himself. Different from the business man that has no passion at all for f1 , and from the guy that, after being surprised with the costs of having an f1team, is desperately trying to sell Midland.

He says that they plan to stay in f1 for many years, that 2008 will be the "turning point", and that the goal is to put MidlandF1 in the top5.
He also expects the new rulles to be favourable to his team...

what do you think about this?... do you expect midland to achieve something in f1 ( without a v10 )
Old 16 May 2006, 18:30 (Ref:1611721)   #2
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I haven't read the linked order as my knowledge of the Portuguese language is regrettably slim. However, I would be surprised if MF1 were to become a major force in F1 post 2008. Despite the attempts to cut costs, the 'bigger' teams will still be in a position to attract the top staff, improve facilities and attract the top drivers. Although Alex Shnaider is very wealthy, he has often spoke of his F1 team being run as a business which would presumably need to derive a profit, therefore I would question whether he has the inclination to invest so much money on making MF1's facilities comparable to Ferrari, McLaren and their ilk. As a result, I expect the status quo to stay pretty much the same.
Old 16 May 2006, 19:00 (Ref:1611748)   #3
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There's will and there's intention, but that's not all to keep the team going on and moreover, to take it to the top 5...
Old 16 May 2006, 19:21 (Ref:1611765)   #4
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
With the Resources BAR and Honda had last year they failed to make the top 5.

Biggest problem for Midland i see is, to get into the top 5, they have to overhall Toyota, Red Bull, BMW, Williams and be near Honda, which doesn't seem likely to happen.
Old 16 May 2006, 19:38 (Ref:1611787)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sounds like a load of bluster really. But what else can he say? He can't very well make outrageous statements along the lines of "We hope to get off the penultimate row of the grid soon". He has to sound ambitious at the very least.

Top five is impossible, unless the Midland team as a whole shows a damn sight more comitment to the cause.
Old 16 May 2006, 20:25 (Ref:1611837)   #6
littlefarny
Rookie

United Kingdom
England
littlefarny should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
Top five is impossible, unless the Midland team as a whole shows a damn sight more comitment to the cause.
I wouldn't blame the teams commitment here.
Old 16 May 2006, 20:50 (Ref:1611863)   #7
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Midland is a joke, they paint they cars livery similar to Mclaren, but they still can only beat the not that super aguris..
Old 16 May 2006, 20:55 (Ref:1611869)   #8
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well I'm sure when this becomes the world liveries championship, they'll be in a better position. Or maybe not...

You can't really expect them to beat anyone more than Super Aguri at this moment in time.
Old 16 May 2006, 21:07 (Ref:1611881)   #9
DeoValente
Racer

DeoValente has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper
F1 team being run as a business which would presumably need to derive a profit, therefore I would question whether he has the inclination to invest so much money on making MF1's facilities comparable to Ferrari, McLaren and their ilk. .
Ferrari is a profitable F1 outfit. Mclaren isnt. Wich one is it you think they can be?
Old 16 May 2006, 21:10 (Ref:1611884)   #10
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Unless reverse grid racing is coming
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 16 May 2006, 21:29 (Ref:1611902)   #11
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeoValente
Ferrari is a profitable F1 outfit. Mclaren isnt. Wich one is it you think they can be?
Although Ferrari makes a profit, I would imagine that this is derived from the sale of road cars and to not to a significant degree from the revenue gained from their F1 racing. My point was that Alex Schnaider has on a number of occasions stated that he wants his F1 team to be financial independent or that it is to be treated as just another element of the Midland Group. Given this scenario, I would imagine that it is unlikely that the investment would be forthcoming from Alex Schnaider to allow his team to compete in the top five.
Old 16 May 2006, 22:00 (Ref:1611925)   #12
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Sounds like a load of bluster really. But what else can he say? He can't very well make outrageous statements along the lines of "We hope to get off the penultimate row of the grid soon". He has to sound ambitious at the very least.

That's it, he wouldn't put down Monteiro's fans saying anything less promising.
Old 16 May 2006, 23:21 (Ref:1611970)   #13
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Louis B. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
Midland is a joke, they paint they cars livery similar to Mclaren, but they still can only beat the not that super aguris..
I wonder how fast regular aguris would be.
Old 17 May 2006, 00:24 (Ref:1612005)   #14
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis B.
I wonder how fast regular aguris would be.
Not long to wait for the new Super Deluxe Aguri's.

Power steering,Trip computer and Cruise control are listed options.
Old 18 May 2006, 01:53 (Ref:1613112)   #15
shugruah
Rookie

Portugal
Porto
shugruah should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can understand that he hopes with the new rulles to be easier to have an f1 team. the costs are decreasing so in the next years they probably wont have to cancel again tests between GP's just because one car was "destroyed" by Ide ( san marino ).

Even if the new rulles make it easier to have a team with a low budget, they cant deny the bigger teams the right to spend all the money in the world... so they will be allways behind toyota ferrari mclaren and renault... at least...
Old 18 May 2006, 04:22 (Ref:1613130)   #16
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper
Although Ferrari makes a profit, I would imagine that this is derived from the sale of road cars and to not to a significant degree from the revenue gained from their F1 racing. My point was that Alex Schnaider has on a number of occasions stated that he wants his F1 team to be financial independent or that it is to be treated as just another element of the Midland Group. Given this scenario, I would imagine that it is unlikely that the investment would be forthcoming from Alex Schnaider to allow his team to compete in the top five.
Profitability comes from merchandising, the road cars are a seperate business these days.
Old 18 May 2006, 11:32 (Ref:1613372)   #17
littlefarny
Rookie

United Kingdom
England
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
You do know that Midland had the livery first right?
And that BusinessF1 has been told rumours that McLaren are going to pay them off to the tune of $5m for Kolles to change it?

The McLaren colours were last minute, in pre-season testing they were orange if you remember.
Old 18 May 2006, 12:44 (Ref:1613440)   #18
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
Not long to wait for the new Super Deluxe Aguri's.

Power steering,Trip computer and Cruise control are listed options.
Driver optional?
Old 18 May 2006, 12:45 (Ref:1613444)   #19
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlefarny
You do know that Midland had the livery first right?
And that BusinessF1 has been told rumours that McLaren are going to pay them off to the tune of $5m for Kolles to change it?

The McLaren colours were last minute, in pre-season testing they were orange if you remember.
McLaren's corporate colour is orange. They've used orange in pre-season testing for a couple of seasons at least.
Old 18 May 2006, 12:46 (Ref:1613447)   #20
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Off-topic, but Mr V - that's a great photo of your son.
Old 18 May 2006, 13:05 (Ref:1613461)   #21
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
That orange car was gorgeous. I know everyone slates the chrome livery, but I think that's quality, too.

And the Midland car's quite pretty in its own way... Or McLareny sorta way... I'm lost

Selby
Old 18 May 2006, 13:24 (Ref:1613478)   #22
littlefarny
Rookie

United Kingdom
England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Flatline
McLaren's corporate colour is orange. They've used orange in pre-season testing for a couple of seasons at least.
Yeah, I know, but the final livery wasn't shown until after that....
Showing MF1 got in there first.
Old 18 May 2006, 15:04 (Ref:1613541)   #23
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nobody cares about Midland so it doesn't really matter what livery they're in.
Looks like crap anyway.

About the topic, Midland in the top 5 is a impossible goal to say the very least!
Maybe Schnaider should go back to doing business and leave F1 to those that know how it works.

Last edited by ASCII Man; 18 May 2006 at 15:07.
Old 18 May 2006, 19:24 (Ref:1613695)   #24
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

[/off topic]FWIW, the 2006 McLaren livery began development in the middle of last season....took ages to perfect. [off topic]

I have serious doubts about whether Shnaider will still be owner of the team in a year or two's time. I just feel his heart isn't really in it as much as you require and that he'll sell the team onto someone who has the passion to do it justice.
Old 18 May 2006, 19:37 (Ref:1613715)   #25
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Flatline
Driver optional?
Only comes as standard in certain luxury cars.