Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 5 Feb 2007, 08:46 (Ref:1833722)   #26
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Hmmm a tough one!

It's down to individual appreciation I'd say. I've always felt that there are works of art, or average boxes on wheels and then the outright bizarre creations that are simply ugly ducklings!

For F1 i'd nominate the JPS Lotus 79 as Davhut also thinks, or another excellent F1 car was the 1995 Ferrari 412T2. That flowing classic low nose section was sublime to look at! Also possibly the 1993/94 McLaren was a nice looking design imo.

Sportscar wise, the McLaren GTR, Longtail Porsche 917, the little Ecosse or ADA?

Other stuff that looked nice were the 635 BMW, RS3100 Capri, Maurer F2, Maserati 250F.
Old 5 Feb 2007, 21:44 (Ref:1834245)   #27
Bryan Miller
Veteran

Bryan Miller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1] Chevron B16 , way out in front.
2] Having competed at the A1 GP meeting at Eastern Creek last weekend , and having so many people tell me my Brabham BT35 F2 was THE best looking car at the meeting , I am nominating BT35 Brabhams.
3] Don't laugh , I love Lotus 59s with the divided noses.
4] TOJ 2 litre sports car in the Warsteiner livery.
5] Wolf F1 ,the earlier cars , WR2 , WR3.
Old 6 Feb 2007, 07:15 (Ref:1834490)   #28
gcalvert
Rookie

Australia
Australia
gcalvert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bryan your Brabham does deserve a vote. Regards.
Old 6 Feb 2007, 08:27 (Ref:1834521)   #29
davemorganfan
Racer

davemorganfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Miller
1] 2] Having competed at the A1 GP meeting at Eastern Creek last weekend , and having so many people tell me my Brabham BT35 F2 was THE best looking car at the meeting , I am nominating BT35 Brabhams.
I'm not going to argue with that ( I wonder why?????), but I do think the earlier BT28/29/30 with the narrower cockpit looked just a BIT better!

Chevron B16 - probably the best of all time. Sheer beauty, not just pretty.
Old 6 Feb 2007, 11:45 (Ref:1834625)   #30
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Early 1950's - Aston Martin DB3S (second body version)
Late 1950's - DBR1/300
Early 1960's - Ferrari 250 GTO (first body version), Aston Project 214/215
Late 1960's - Lola T70 MkIII & IIIb coupe, Ferrari P4, Chevron B16
Single seaters - Maserati 250F (Later version - they weren't all pretty!), 1967 F1 Gurney Eagle, 1991 Jordan B191 'SevenUp'.
Old 6 Feb 2007, 12:24 (Ref:1834648)   #31
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
for me it would have to be the ford f3l, weslake eagle or jordan 191
Old 6 Feb 2007, 15:58 (Ref:1834756)   #32
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Its gotta be the Jordan 191, no contest. The shape and the livery were just exquisite.

http://autooboz.omega.kz/foto/jordan..._191(1991).jpg

... in second the Brabham BT44, so beautiful to see an example of that in full Martini livery driven by the famous Count Manfredo Rossi himself at Silverstone last year. Go to martiniracing.com to see some nice stills and video of them.
Old 6 Feb 2007, 16:53 (Ref:1834791)   #33
Jeremy Hall
Racer

Jeremy Hall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wot no Breadvan Ferrari yet-has to be.....
Old 6 Feb 2007, 17:45 (Ref:1834834)   #34
RTH
Racer

RTH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lotus 79
Old 7 Feb 2007, 06:49 (Ref:1835127)   #35
Bryan Miller
Veteran

Bryan Miller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
davyboy,

Yes agreed , I will happily swap my BT35 for a BT44 anytime.
Any offers.??
Old 7 Feb 2007, 08:22 (Ref:1835170)   #36
fausto
Veteran

Wales
fausto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chevron B16.

Old 7 Feb 2007, 10:13 (Ref:1835277)   #37
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Hall
Wot no Breadvan Ferrari yet-has to be.....
I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, Jeremy, but is this car 'pretty'? Interesting, unique, charismatic, yes, but pretty? Mind you an earlier poster mentioned another of my favourites, the 935/78 Moby Dick - a fabulous and stunning car, but, again, is it pretty? I have to admit my list of favourite cars would not be exactly the same as my list of pretty cars, or am I just being difficult and contentious?
Old 7 Feb 2007, 12:19 (Ref:1835383)   #38
RTH
Racer

RTH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fausto
Chevron B16.

Oh Yes !
Old 7 Feb 2007, 12:50 (Ref:1835407)   #39
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Back to the homeland of Scotland!
rcarr has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, Jeremy, but is this car 'pretty'? Interesting, unique, charismatic, yes, but pretty? Mind you an earlier poster mentioned another of my favourites, the 935/78 Moby Dick - a fabulous and stunning car, but, again, is it pretty? I have to admit my list of favourite cars would not be exactly the same as my list of pretty cars, or am I just being difficult and contentious?
I have to agree with John here, "modern" Formula 1 cars are built to within strict regulations, so is the Jordan 191 pretty or a very attractive solution to the rules?

This thread was more for the style rather than the way the company has interprited the rules.

The Porsche RS Sypder, is a pretty car considering the set of rules that it conforms to.
Old 7 Feb 2007, 13:12 (Ref:1835423)   #40
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarr
This thread was more for the style rather than the way the company has interprited the rules.
For quite some time, motor racing has been divided into classes, each of which have rules to which a competing car must conform. By its very nature, any car design will be a creation based within an interpretation of specific rules.
Old 7 Feb 2007, 15:38 (Ref:1835518)   #41
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, Jeremy, but is this car 'pretty'? Interesting, unique, charismatic, yes, but pretty?
The same can be said of the Shark Nosed Ferraris. Some people love them (including me) others think they are ugly. Charismatic? is beauty skin deep?
Old 7 Feb 2007, 17:20 (Ref:1835600)   #42
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Very philosophical, Alan! I love the shark nose too, but again would question whether it's pretty. Maybe I've been hoisted by my own petard since I selected the Jordan 191. Perhaps stunning rather than pretty, although that livery was just sooooo.... right!
Old 7 Feb 2007, 18:45 (Ref:1835661)   #43
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Very philosophical, Alan!
I must be getting old!

Perhaps it's who drove these lovely machines and who owned them, as well as what they look like that adds to there charm.

I agree with the Jordan, beautiful shape and a fantastic colour scheme but the attitude of EJ and his crew was a breath of fresh air at the time, which adds to the overall effect.
Old 7 Feb 2007, 20:18 (Ref:1835731)   #44
davyboy
Veteran

I know its off topic here, maybe there's need for another thread on the subject but do people think F1 is worse for Jordan's departure ? Particularly the Jordan of the 1990s.
Old 7 Feb 2007, 20:24 (Ref:1835735)   #45
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I always thought the Costin Nathans especially the coupe were very pretty, I thought the Chevrons paled in the beauty stakes when lined up alongside.
In this shot from the front cover of Autosport you can see the two lined up on the grid.
Old 7 Feb 2007, 21:14 (Ref:1835770)   #46
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy
I know its off topic here, maybe there's need for another thread on the subject but do people think F1 is worse for Jordan's departure ? Particularly the Jordan of the 1990s.
Yes. F1 still needs privateers to keep it's feet on the ground.
Old 8 Feb 2007, 16:03 (Ref:1836425)   #47
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Some of the contenders for prettiest car here. The good old days of 4-3-4 grids at Silverstone, front row of the 1968 Martini International.
Sid Taylor's Lola T70 MkIII of Denny Hulme ( The current world champion at this time), the drop-dead-gorgeous Alan Mann Ford F3L of Frank Gardner, Mike de Udy's Lola and GT40. Wow..

Old 8 Feb 2007, 16:08 (Ref:1836433)   #48
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kitson
Some of the contenders for prettiest car here. The good old days of 4-3-4 grids at Silverstone, front row of the 1968 Martini International.
Bring back 4-3-4 grids
Old 8 Feb 2007, 16:09 (Ref:1836435)   #49
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
TOP TOP shot that is Andrew, thanks for sharing it with us all!

Yes I liked the little F3L too, shame it never got the chance of some serious development and racing mileage.

Remember seeing two in the Silverstone pit garages in 1987 or something (for a Supersports event supporting the F3000.) One was in orginal Alan Mann colours like the one in your pic, but the other was in a strange Green and Silver livery with Pierre Cardin decals on it!
Old 8 Feb 2007, 16:26 (Ref:1836452)   #50
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Perhaps the green one was David Piper's - was it in his famous BP green??
He has his F3L now in red...or does he own both?