Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Aug 2006, 11:24 (Ref:1686578)   #1
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Is there another Clark/Senna/Schumacher out there?

Every now and then the world throws up a driver that stands above all others from the very start of their careers.
Yet with all the driver talent spotting schemes,race driver training programmes,Red Bull junior teams and the like all around the world,there doesn't appear to be anyone sticking there hand up to be the next heir apparent,Anyone spotted the next great F1 thing driving a go kart or Formula Ford at a track near them?,or anyone else you see rising through the ranks we should be watching out for?.
Old 19 Aug 2006, 11:41 (Ref:1686590)   #2
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I believe their is another Schumacher. His name is Michael Schumacher, he's still racing in Formula 1 .
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 19 Aug 2006, 12:42 (Ref:1686612)   #3
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Apart from Schumi? Alonso... Raikkonen... that are in F1.
From lower series, Lewis Hamilton is the real deal. At least in the papers.
Old 19 Aug 2006, 17:14 (Ref:1686664)   #4
Rex Judicata
Veteran

United States
Melbourne and Fort Lauderdale
Rex Judicata User is flirting with disqualificationRex Judicata User is flirting with disqualificationRex Judicata User is flirting with disqualification
We are so removed from the events, but I wonder about Marco Andretti, Nico Rosberg, and Robert Kubica. They are the young lions. I also wonder if Red Bull sees more in Scott Speed that we do, or if they are hanging onto him because he won their elimination. Having to race with a chronic disease as he does cannot help.
Old 19 Aug 2006, 18:39 (Ref:1686716)   #5
DPRacing
Racer

Sweden
Lund
DPRacing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well we have Bruno Senna
Graham Rahal is good, but is his aim Formula 1?
Old 19 Aug 2006, 19:07 (Ref:1686724)   #6
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Are talking about surnames or new people ?

If new people, believe me, there are potentially thousands of them.
Old 19 Aug 2006, 20:24 (Ref:1686759)   #7
Racer_kyle
Racer

Northern Ireland
Edinburgh
Racer_kyle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alonso.
Old 19 Aug 2006, 20:48 (Ref:1686769)   #8
VilleneuveTracy
Veteran

United States
New Jersey
VilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPRacing
Graham Rahal is good, but is his aim Formula 1?
Yes, his goal is to make it to F1.

3 Heinz-Harald Frentzen Williams-Renault 42 (1 win, 1 pole)

Anyone could have won in the 97' Williams...
Old 19 Aug 2006, 21:19 (Ref:1686785)   #9
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender
Every now and then the world throws up a driver that stands above all others from the very start of their careers.
Yet with all the driver talent spotting schemes,race driver training programmes,Red Bull junior teams and the like all around the world,there doesn't appear to be anyone sticking there hand up to be the next heir apparent,Anyone spotted the next great F1 thing driving a go kart or Formula Ford at a track near them?,or anyone else you see rising through the ranks we should be watching out for?.
Sadly it's not just about talent, marketability is the name of the game in this very commercial sport. Management and knowing the right people.

The days of farmers sons like Jim Clark being lent cars by weathy enthusiasts and then being spotted by a Colin Chapman are long gone sadly!

Until there is a proper 'staircase' of championships and a proper structure of finance in place to give all budding talent a fair chance at making it to the pinnicle of F1. It will always be down to random or commercial selection, luck and being in the right place at the right time.
Old 19 Aug 2006, 22:01 (Ref:1686799)   #10
VilleneuveTracy
Veteran

United States
New Jersey
VilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why doesn't F1 have a proper ladder to reach it? In the US for NASCAR the system is pretty straightforward.

3 Heinz-Harald Frentzen Williams-Renault 42 (1 win, 1 pole)

Anyone could have won in the 97' Williams...
Old 19 Aug 2006, 22:59 (Ref:1686834)   #11
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Because, in its essence, it's a game rather than a sport.
Old 19 Aug 2006, 23:06 (Ref:1686837)   #12
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
F1 does have a ladder to it. It is just so illogical that everyone ignores it.
Old 19 Aug 2006, 23:11 (Ref:1686841)   #13
Hamness
Racer

Wales
Hamness should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope there will definitely be another Clark.
I hope there may be another Senna.
I hope there is never another Schumacher.

I rest my case.
Old 20 Aug 2006, 01:57 (Ref:1686871)   #14
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamness
I hope there will definitely be another Clark.
I hope there may be another Senna.
I hope there is never another Schumacher.

I rest my case.
Interesting, because Senna defined, or at least started to define, the kind of drivers that TGF belongs to.
Old 20 Aug 2006, 03:30 (Ref:1686889)   #15
Armco Bender
Veteran

New Zealand
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Most of the great drivers were identifiable from an early age of their careers.
Someone like Jochen Rindt was blindingly fast in whatever he was driving,James Hunt was extremely quick in uncompetitive cars,Senna was quick in the Toleman which was no rocketship,Schumacher was quick right from the start of his F1 career.
These days with all the money being spent on fostering young talent its surprising there aren't more exceedingly good drivers getting to F1.If someone has talent these days its easy to make a career in motorsport than it was in the days of yore,how many recent F1 champions ever stacked cans in supermarket to pay for there racing?,not many I think.
Old 20 Aug 2006, 04:20 (Ref:1686901)   #16
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Formula 1 is such an exclusive game, with the skyrocketing costs and such. No-one with geniune talent in somewhere like Australia will be able to break into F1.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 20 Aug 2006, 06:18 (Ref:1686938)   #17
deejay
Veteran

New Zealand
deejay has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I don't buy that at all, there are plenty of Australian (and even New Zealand) drivers getting opportunities in Europe and the US. There IS a pathway for drivers to go through the levels from a young age and get to F1. If we could turn out a talent like Raikkonen or Alonso then you bet they'd be in F1.
Old 20 Aug 2006, 06:29 (Ref:1686940)   #18
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
Obviously Senna and Prost were two of the really best, but as time pass people tends to forget they also had their weakness.

We are blessed with many big talents already. Appart from Schumacher, I think Alonso is a great champion (not just a one off WDC) and probably Raikkonen is too.

And Lewis Hamilton looks very promising...
Old 20 Aug 2006, 07:19 (Ref:1686956)   #19
Erki
Racer

Estonia
Tartu, Estonia
Erki has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
You mention M$ in the same sentence with Clark and Senna? I agree with Hamness, I hope thee will never be another M$. In fact, I hope there will be another Graham Hill too.
Old 20 Aug 2006, 08:13 (Ref:1686992)   #20
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
There are stories to be read in certain papers/books/magazines about the guy who was faster than Senna or Prost or whoever,but didn't have the money to carry on,didn't have the backing from rich parents or sponsors.

Do we ever see the fastest drivers in the world on track? No,we never do.

If F1 is all about the 'fastest' then it's time that money took a back seat to talent.

No more Schumacher's please!
Old 20 Aug 2006, 09:48 (Ref:1687064)   #21
DPRacing
Racer

Sweden
Lund
DPRacing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleneuveTracy
Yes, his goal is to make it to F1.

Great
Old 20 Aug 2006, 09:57 (Ref:1687069)   #22
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
So what famous sons of F1 drivers have aspirations to go on like their father?
Old 20 Aug 2006, 10:04 (Ref:1687074)   #23
Armco Bender
Veteran

New Zealand
Piquet,Rosberg,Jones,Andretti,Rahal.....just some that spring to mind
Old 20 Aug 2006, 11:35 (Ref:1687242)   #24
Erki
Racer

Estonia
Tartu, Estonia
Erki has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Lauda................
Ickx is probably a little old.
Old 20 Aug 2006, 11:41 (Ref:1687247)   #25
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender
Piquet,Rosberg,Jones,Andretti,Rahal.....just some that spring to mind
All the ones that can easily afford to.