Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 6 Jul 2014, 04:35 (Ref:3430770)   #1
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Motorsport Legends

New TV series on 7mate called Motorsport Legends commencing on the 19th of July at 5pm.

The usual suspects Brock, Moffat, Perkins, Johnson in this ten part series.
Old 6 Jul 2014, 05:35 (Ref:3430780)   #2
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
I read about this and sounds interesting. Surprised someone hasn't come up with this before. I've enjoyed the pre Bathurst shows where they chat to former drivers and the tales they tell so should be good.
Old 6 Jul 2014, 09:44 (Ref:3430831)   #3
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will it be mainly interviews?

Previous descriptions mention they've dug up new footage from the Ch7 archives, but will they be actually showing old races or using the footage as 'imagery' to go along with the stories the interviewee's are talking about.
Old 18 Jul 2014, 09:20 (Ref:3435089)   #4
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just bringing this back to the top.

Mr Moffat Snr is the first cab of the rank.
Old 19 Jul 2014, 08:04 (Ref:3435380)   #5
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
enjoyable watch.

worth taping for when you have some spare time

Moff seemed a bit emotional at the end
Old 19 Jul 2014, 08:29 (Ref:3435386)   #6
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Motorsport Legends

I really enjoyed the first episode. It was great to see they gave some decent time to the Mazda program, most interviews with Moffat in the annual run up to Bathurst tend to ignore this part of his career which is a shame as it was interesting.

Larry Perkins next episode. Can't wait.
Old 19 Jul 2014, 08:43 (Ref:3435388)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It missed an entire era, the Group A world.. when Mr Moffat left the HDT to take his Rothmans Commodore to the world, and won! Plus did well at Spa...

And indeed hooking up with Mr Rouse, and later Mr Eggenberger for the ANZ and later Cenovis Sierra squads.. plus that aesthetically pleasing Cenovis Falcon...

A 90 minute show would have been just as good...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 19 Jul 2014, 08:59 (Ref:3435394)   #8
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
In case you missed it, from the shannons website
Old 19 Jul 2014, 09:05 (Ref:3435395)   #9
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sounds more like Legends of Australian Touring Car Racing than Legends of Motor Sport?
Old 19 Jul 2014, 22:44 (Ref:3435643)   #10
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by champcarman View Post
Sounds more like Legends of Australian Touring Car Racing than Legends of Motor Sport?
Well, Touring Car racing is a category of Motor Sport; these dudes are still legends so that name fits.

I take your point though - hopefully in future series they can cover off Motor Sport legends from other areas such as rally, open wheelers, drag racing etc.
Old 20 Jul 2014, 03:05 (Ref:3435685)   #11
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Well, Touring Car racing is a category of Motor Sport; these dudes are still legends so that name fits.

I take your point though - hopefully in future series they can cover off Motor Sport legends from other areas such as rally, open wheelers, drag racing etc.
how will channel 7 open up its archive to those sports?

here is a summary of what the series is about
"In an entertaining 12 part series Neil Crompton, Australia’s premier motoring commentator, brings to life the history of Australian Motorsport with rarely seen historical footage from Seven’s extensive archives dating from the ‘60s to the ‘90s."
Old 20 Jul 2014, 04:03 (Ref:3435697)   #12
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought it was great stuff, looking forward to the rest of the series. Hopefully it rates well and Ch7 continue doing this sort of stuff into the future.

Only gripe would be that an hour isn't long enough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post

"In an entertaining 12 part series Neil Crompton, Australia’s premier motoring commentator, brings to life the history of Australian Motorsport with rarely seen historical footage from Seven’s extensive archives dating from the ‘60s to the ‘90s."
I know what your getting at, but to be fair Channel 7 has shown rallying, open-wheelers and drag racing in the past.
Old 20 Jul 2014, 04:27 (Ref:3435701)   #13
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
I thought it was great stuff, looking forward to the rest of the series. Hopefully it rates well and Ch7 continue doing this sort of stuff into the future.

Only gripe would be that an hour isn't long enough!

I know what your getting at, but to be fair Channel 7 has shown rallying, open-wheelers and drag racing in the past.
you realise its people, that this is about people, there isnt too many Australian motorsport legends outside Touring cars that were on channel 7

Last edited by peckstar; 20 Jul 2014 at 04:33.
Old 21 Jul 2014, 12:42 (Ref:3436224)   #14
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As a kid I idolised Allan Moffat.

As an adult I still do.

And any bloke that gets all misty eyed when he thanks the host for "having me on the show" gets an extra brownie point.
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 21 Jul 2014, 21:53 (Ref:3436422)   #15
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post

Ch 7 may well have some archive footage, whether or not it has footage of legends such as Greg Carr, Jim Read & others only Ch 7 would know I guess. Wonder if they have much speedway footage? With Mike Raymond so wrapped up in both ch 7 and speedway, it might be the case - plenty of legends there.

I think that you're right though Pecky, this is going to be about touring car legends and fair enough - which brings us back to Champcarman's original point about the name of the series.
Old 22 Jul 2014, 02:45 (Ref:3436483)   #16
Kingair
Veteran

This weeks episode is at 3pm, according to the EPG.

Must be bloke thing, I got misty eyed when they showed those Falcon Hardtops!

Hopefully they might do another series to include some of the F5000 drivers, speedway greats like Garry Rush, Barry Graham etc.

Back to the Channel 7 vaults, young Mr Noonan and don't come out until you find all the good stuff!

Loved Moffat driving that A9X at Amaroo Park!

When I am PM of Aus, I replace the limo's with Falcon Hardtops and the opposition leader can have an A9X.
Old 22 Jul 2014, 13:41 (Ref:3436673)   #17
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yet there is so much more material....

What of the 1974 Brut Falcon? (Moff was talking about it and showed the inside but not the full story...)
Or the time he pranged Brocky's Common-dore at Skyline.
The old VB carton in the radiator trick.
That exceedingly rapid ANZ Sierra.
Co-drives with Vern Schuppan, John Fitzpatrick.
Monza with John Harvey.
Winning in Japan with Klaus Niedzwidz and quietly retiring.

Might need a mini-series...
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 23 Jul 2014, 07:18 (Ref:3436930)   #18
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Punter View Post

What of the 1974 Brut Falcon? (Moff was talking about it and showed the inside but not the full story...)
Monza with John Harvey.

Time wasted on the '77 1-2 could've been spent on other topics, I agree.

In saying that, I'm not in any way discrediting the '77 1-2. I'm well aware of how hard it would be to get one car across the line in 1st place, but a 1-2 is something legends are made of.

The Cenovis Falcon era would've been nice to hear about, too.
Old 23 Jul 2014, 09:29 (Ref:3436971)   #19
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Time wasted on the '77 1-2 could've been spent on other topics, I agree.

In saying that, I'm not in any way discrediting the '77 1-2. I'm well aware of how hard it would be to get one car across the line in 1st place, but a 1-2 is something legends are made of.

The Cenovis Falcon era would've been nice to hear about, too.
I think the show just pandered to the 'popular' memories. While it is a niche show, it's also seemingly being portrayed as a 'celebratory' type of show and the 77 1-2 is probably something Moff would rather talk about than the four races on a shoestring that the Cenovis Falcon did.

On Facebook a few posts about the show have indicated (when asked by viewers in the comments sections) that there will be a show dedicated to the Brock memory, as obviously Mr Brock can't be interviewed himself....... for the show to have any credibility at the end of it one assumes there will be a similiar show dedicated to one Ian 'Pete' Geoghegan?
Old 23 Jul 2014, 09:50 (Ref:3436973)   #20
ForumNick
Veteran

Australia
ForumNick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Punter View Post

Monza with John Harvey.

Not to forget Gregg Hansford...
Old 23 Jul 2014, 23:49 (Ref:3437157)   #21
Kingair
Veteran

Don't forget Moffat's Victa commercials in the 70's!
Old 24 Jul 2014, 05:26 (Ref:3437206)   #22
Trev Campbell
Veteran

Trev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It would be good if they did a few programs on the lesser heralded 'legends' Gricey, Bob Morris, Murray Carter, KB, Bowey, Bondy etc
Old 24 Jul 2014, 06:55 (Ref:3437217)   #23
dirtymacca
Racer

dirtymacca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I watched the Alan Moffat episode... it was great. Does anyone have an online link as I live in Asia and cannot access episode 2.

Much appreciated.
Old 24 Jul 2014, 08:22 (Ref:3437229)   #24
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev Campbell View Post
It would be good if they did a few programs on the lesser heralded 'legends' Gricey, Bob Morris, Murray Carter, KB, Bowey, Bondy etc
There is an episode devoted to Touring Car racing in the '80s and KB features heavily in that one.

I believe Bondy may have been part of the episodes that were filmed in Bathurst.
Old 24 Jul 2014, 09:53 (Ref:3437253)   #25
ForumNick
Veteran

Australia
ForumNick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtymacca View Post
I watched the Alan Moffat episode... it was great. Does anyone have an online link as I live in Asia and cannot access episode 2.

Much appreciated.
Ep.1 (Moffat) was shown HERE

I presume subsequent episodes will also be