Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Apr 2017, 08:28 (Ref:3725231)   #1
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
DOTR Analysis

I just completed an exhaustive, and detailed analysis of the results of the last 12 months DOTR threads. Using a supercomputer, and a complex set of algorithms, and sophisticated programs I am confidently able to predict the result of the next round.

Hamilton fans will vote for Lewis.

Vettel fans will vote for Seb.

Ricciardo fans will vote for Daniel

Verstappen fans will vote for Max.

F1Pete will vote for Kimi.

Caveat; There is only one person who can influence the outcome of my prediction. Would he dare?
Old 10 Apr 2017, 08:38 (Ref:3725236)   #2
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I must be a serial hater then, because I'm sure I've voted for all four of them in the last 12 months
Old 10 Apr 2017, 08:52 (Ref:3725239)   #3
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
I must be a serial hater then, because I'm sure I've voted for all four of them in the last 12 months
My research showed that, and it nearly caused the program to crash. I call it the CMUMMS.

Can't Make Up My Mind Syndrome

I should also point out that I discovered a wide variation in the SOHQ amongst voters.
Old 10 Apr 2017, 09:26 (Ref:3725248)   #4
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
ingroup-outgroup bias?
Old 10 Apr 2017, 19:57 (Ref:3725379)   #5
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
ingroup-outgroup bias?
Probably. If I understood the question.
Old 10 Apr 2017, 20:06 (Ref:3725380)   #6
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I will vote for the least obvious person any time I can
Old 10 Apr 2017, 23:54 (Ref:3725411)   #7
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Pretty sure I voted for all four of the above as well.
Do you want to publish a table of the voting patterns bauble?
Seems a pity to waste the research.
Old 11 Apr 2017, 06:33 (Ref:3725430)   #8
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Pretty sure I voted for all four of the above as well.
Do you want to publish a table of the voting patterns bauble?
Seems a pity to waste the research.
I could but you would never understand it

The reasons given for their choice of DOTR by certain contributors, are frequently so convoluted, that the computer invariably throws up reference to Machiavelli (an Italian Maserati driver from the renaissance period) as it attempts to justify the choice.
Using the 'Button Logic' as a baseline it became obvious that many 'fans' simply ticked the same name every time without reference to data from scientific analysis.

Sadly many drivers have been physiologically scarred when reading the results.

I would try to explain further but the nurse is coming.
Old 11 Apr 2017, 11:06 (Ref:3725487)   #9
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!

I pretty much don't read the reasons anymore, and don't vote after some pitiful races.
Old 11 Apr 2017, 12:40 (Ref:3725510)   #10
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You're onto something bauble, but it's probably not surprising. Look at it this way - we don't see the drivers in equal cars, so we form suppositions about their relative merits and many develop favourites based on those suppositions (e.g. Alonso is a firm favourite of many because he's clearly good and a potential champion again in a better car). Because people cannot conclusively say who did the best job of the drivers, they often vote for one of their favourites when they did a very good job, because they see the evidence to support that. That does not mean that they are ignoring the good job of others.

Elaborating on this idea of favourites, would it not be fair to say that people become driver favourites after they see very good performances, rather than first forming a favourite and then looking for evidence to support that? If anything, they have their favourites based on good performances from the past and then perhaps subconsciously look for or easily recognise evidence which supports other good performances in the future. I would go with the view that Ten-Tenths users are often an objective bunch to a large extent, sweeping aside nationality as their prime basis on which to favour a driver (hence the running joke on here along the lines of 'I voted Alonso because he's British').

For what it's worth to point this out, Hamilton didn't win a single Driver of the Grand Prix poll last year on Ten-Tenths, despite winning more Grands Prix than any other.

Reasonably interestingly, I think, users seem to find it easier to vote for a winning team than a winning driver on here. Mercedes took a lot of Team of the Grand Prix poll wins last year.
Old 11 Apr 2017, 13:26 (Ref:3725520)   #11
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'd vote for anyone but Hamilton, just as I voted for anyone but Vettel when he was winning everything.
Old 11 Apr 2017, 13:26 (Ref:3725521)   #12
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Because people cannot conclusively say who did the best job of the drivers, they often vote for one of their favourites when they did a very good job, because they see the evidence to support that.
In-group bias...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
For what it's worth to point this out, Hamilton didn't win a single Driver of the Grand Prix poll last year on Ten-Tenths, despite winning more Grands Prix than any other.
Out-group bias...

In-group Out-group bias is a common phenomenon in sports fans, and will always influence polls of 'who did the best'.

Alonso and Ricciardo both seem to have generated a high level of support, and as a result those who feel a connection to them (fans, in-group) make a sub-conscious decision that anything preventing them from a perfect performance must be a fault of something outside of their control. They will also compensate for the driver, and therefore see them as having performed better than any others.

On the other side, Hamilton and increasingly Verstappen seem to be the 'rival' or the enemy to their support, and so people who are not fans and feel disconnected from them (out-group) make a sub-conscious decision that anything they do well must be a part of someone else making the situation easy for them (perfect car, money, officials) and so find it difficult to give them credit.

Hamilton gets this especially so having been the most successful driver over recent seasons. Every other drivers' fans see him as a rival because they want to see their favourite win the championship. Therefore, if Hamilton is the predicted winner, the majority of other fans will find it difficult (sub-consciously) to vote for him.

During the RBR/Vettel dominance, how many times did Vettel top the DOTR poll?
[Edit:] In 2013, Vettel took 3 race wins, but only 3.5 DOTR's.

Last edited by crmalcolm; 11 Apr 2017 at 13:34.
Old 11 Apr 2017, 15:12 (Ref:3725538)   #13
bauble
Veteran

England
I see he SOHQ coming into effect here.

Now back to the main conclusion of my intensive research. Apart from one well known member did anyone else vote for the same driver every time regardless of their performance?

I shall have to go back and run more comparative algorithms to find out.

Nurse, nurse. The pills.
Old 12 Apr 2017, 06:39 (Ref:3725699)   #14
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Apart from one well known member did anyone else vote for the same driver every time regardless of their performance?
:cough GTRMagic
:cough Webber?
Old 12 Apr 2017, 15:35 (Ref:3725876)   #15
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Good job I try to vote for different drivers each race
Old 12 Apr 2017, 18:19 (Ref:3725919)   #16
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg View Post
You mean Webber voted for GTRMagic every time? Well blow me down.
Old 12 Apr 2017, 19:04 (Ref:3725940)   #17
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I deliberately look for the non bleedin obvious choice when i vote.
I alwsys look for the 'best performance with what they were driving' and normally that rules out serial winners in the cars that **** all over the field!
Old 13 Apr 2017, 03:22 (Ref:3726031)   #18
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am with bauble on this one. I also predict Kimi to be the driver of the race in the next round. I can feel his hunger to win and will witness it once again this weekend.
Old 13 Apr 2017, 05:44 (Ref:3726041)   #19
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Pete View Post
I am with bauble on this one. I also predict Kimi to be the driver of the race in the next round. I can feel his hunger to win and will witness it once again this weekend.
Thank goodness Pete, you have fully justified the hours of time and millions of Pounds I have put in to the project

Very best wished for you and Kimi.

Uncle Bob.
Old 13 Apr 2017, 14:36 (Ref:3726104)   #20
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I always vote for Vettel - as he's British!

No, I try and balance it out with the performance that impressed me the most. A lot of times, it's hard to vote against the driver who actually won the race - I do accept that. Sometimes I do consider drivers who basically pushed their car up into a position that it shouldn't have been in.
Old 13 Apr 2017, 17:10 (Ref:3726151)   #21
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Caveat; There is only one person who can influence the outcome of my prediction. Would he dare?

No. It is utterly inconceivable. Ain't it Pete.....?
Old 17 Apr 2017, 03:02 (Ref:3727240)   #22
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Finally we agree on something!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 19 Apr 2017, 17:36 (Ref:3727799)   #23
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg View Post

And the last 2 teams he left, in RBR & Porsche WEC, have had poor years immediately after..

Potsie magic rocks.

And now, for sport, I look for spirit, overcoming the insurmountable to pick a DOTR.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 19 Apr 2017, 17:59 (Ref:3727804)   #24
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Pete View Post
Finally we agree on something!!!
We probably agree on quite a lot Pete, but I just don't wear your Finnish rose-tinted specs very often!
Old 20 Apr 2017, 07:19 (Ref:3727934)   #25
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
We probably agree on quite a lot Pete, but I just don't wear your Finnish rose-tinted specs very often!
Ain't it amazing how human emotion can overcome scientific research?

I rarely vote in the DOTR as it might skew the results of my analysis, however, were I to participate I would certainly demonstrate the 'F1pete Syndrome', and vote for Felipe Massa every time.

Were Lewis to purchase a redundant Manor, and start from the pit lane, fight his way past the entire field, Ferrari, Mercedes etc. and lap the pack twice, I still would not vote for him ...........................
......................., and neither would F1pete.

Professor Bauble BOG (Biased Old Git)