Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 18 Nov 2017, 03:07 (Ref:3781160)   #26
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.theherald.com.au/story/50...astle-traders/

Quote:
Royal Day Spa owner Sue Geary said she might have to sell her business if track work continued to affect her revenue next year – and if she can find a buyer.

Ms Geary said her trade had fallen nearly 50 per cent in recent months and she had cut her casual staff numbers by more than half as road closures and parking restrictions made access to the east end difficult.

“Suffering is probably a nice word for it,” she said.
Old 18 Nov 2017, 03:26 (Ref:3781164)   #27
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
With a large amount of road closures, restrictions and work for the light rail build plus Newcastle council pulling 5 or so years of planned civil works in the east end forward & doing it all at once, the impact experienced this year will be a one-off and is certainly not all of supercars making.

I've seen similar articles both here & overseas before events have been run with complaints from local traders. Short version is that no-one is going to really know until at least after the 1st event is run and maybe even as far away as the 2nd event, which will be a better indicator of any impact from track works in future years.

Example from another area currently undergoing change: Parramatta trader concerns

Last edited by Tourer; 18 Nov 2017 at 03:43.
Old 18 Nov 2017, 04:14 (Ref:3781170)   #28
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This year will be a massive learning experience for those involved in, and potentially affected by the event.

No doubt they will be tightening the whole thing up, and shortening the setup and pack-up times next year, if they are to ensure the event remains sustainable and viable to the local economy.
Old 18 Nov 2017, 07:24 (Ref:3781178)   #29
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Until Supercars starts treating this event like the red headed stepchild that Homebush became.
Old 20 Nov 2017, 04:22 (Ref:3781604)   #30
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think if you excuse the holden vs ford thing and nz vs aussie, just from a driver vs driver like most series, it would be a disaster if Whincup takes the title. Similar to if Truex Jr lost the Nascar title after being the underdog dominating all year. I think Scotty has been the best performer of the year, the underdog in a new team vs the mighty Triple 8. DJRTP are NOT the fastest team, they haven't been since halfway through the year where T8 caught up. Coulthard is proof of that as he's struggled to even be top 10 lately while JW and SVG are always up front. You can just watch the two and see SM is driving much harder JW is. Do we really need to see JW win what his 300th title? If he does, I bet it will all come down to doing those extra 2 laps at Bathurst that netted him 90 points.

SM: 7 wins, 7 fastest laps, 14 poles.
JW: 3 wins, 1 fastest lap, 2 poles.

It shouldn't even be close in points.
Old 20 Nov 2017, 05:29 (Ref:3781608)   #31
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
While I agree, I just don't see Whincup losing it from here, especially considering the strength of his team mates and his experience in winning titles.

And while its hard to argue that Scotty 'deserves' the title based off your stats, Ingall won a title with just two race wins over a year, and the next year Rick did it with just one win, so speed doesnt always equal titles.

The locals look like theyre getting into the spirit:
Old 20 Nov 2017, 06:27 (Ref:3781611)   #32
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Douglas returns to LDM for Newcastle finale

In the 62 (Rullo car)

Perking can not race main game and DVS in one weekend
Old 20 Nov 2017, 06:36 (Ref:3781613)   #33
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzzor View Post
I think if you excuse the holden vs ford thing and nz vs aussie, just from a driver vs driver like most series, it would be a disaster if Whincup takes the title. Similar to if Truex Jr lost the Nascar title after being the underdog dominating all year. I think Scotty has been the best performer of the year, the underdog in a new team vs the mighty Triple 8. DJRTP are NOT the fastest team, they haven't been since halfway through the year where T8 caught up. Coulthard is proof of that as he's struggled to even be top 10 lately while JW and SVG are always up front. You can just watch the two and see SM is driving much harder JW is. Do we really need to see JW win what his 300th title? If he does, I bet it will all come down to doing those extra 2 laps at Bathurst that netted him 90 points.

SM: 7 wins, 7 fastest laps, 14 poles.
JW: 3 wins, 1 fastest lap, 2 poles.

It shouldn't even be close in points.
That raises two points;

A) Supercars don't want the best driver to win. They want the most entertaining scenario to play out and whoever wins wins

B) With the difference in wins, poles and fastest laps you are right it shouldn't be close in points...... surely the fact that Scotty is leading the points despite the stats in his favour suggests he doesn't deserve the title?
Old 21 Nov 2017, 00:21 (Ref:3781848)   #34
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
A) Supercars don't want the best driver to win. They want the most entertaining scenario to play out and whoever wins wins
This points system came about because Skaife was winning the title half way through the season...
Old 21 Nov 2017, 00:44 (Ref:3781855)   #35
leothedrummer
Racer

leothedrummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
the next year Rick did it with just one win, so speed doesnt always equal titles.
And that year Mark Skaife had equal most wins with 7, most poles with 5.....and finished 16th in points.
Old 21 Nov 2017, 00:56 (Ref:3781858)   #36
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Looking forward to this event, big trip 12 hours drive

Weather looking ok,

Hoping for a Scotty Mac win on Saturday so that Sunday is a whoever wins wins scenario
Old 21 Nov 2017, 00:59 (Ref:3781860)   #37
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
Grandstand?
Old 21 Nov 2017, 01:06 (Ref:3781863)   #38
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
Grandstand?
they are well sold out. Gen admin, just got to find a vantage spot that isnt full
Old 21 Nov 2017, 03:24 (Ref:3781882)   #39
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
This points system came about because Skaife was winning the title half way through the season...
IIRC, Clipsal the opener was a double points round.
Skaife would clean up there and the job was half way done.
Old 21 Nov 2017, 03:31 (Ref:3781883)   #40
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71 View Post
IIRC, Clipsal the opener was a double points round.
Skaife would clean up there and the job was half way done.
Went to the first two rounds in 2002, and rememebr thinking after the Clipsal that he more than a round win ahead of the nearest Ford, it got worse at PI in round 2, he was a round win ahead of everyone. But he dominated that year.

Still the final round was a glimpse of things to come. the end of the era
Old 21 Nov 2017, 10:22 (Ref:3781922)   #41
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Fearless Jamie...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 23 Nov 2017, 03:16 (Ref:3782341)   #42
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Well, we ought to start getting actual onboards soon enough, but in the meantime, here's a final pre-event look at the course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=fCZbCsDLFHE
Old 23 Nov 2017, 06:04 (Ref:3782366)   #43
rustyinsthoz
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
rustyinsthoz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can see this round being a crash fest. Seems to be little runoff area anywhere.
Old 23 Nov 2017, 07:00 (Ref:3782370)   #44
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
And little run-off is unusual for a street circuit, how?

Heck, Bathurst has little run-off in most places.

Newcastle has escape roads at the most critical points.

Also, the camera height and accelerated motion of the above video make the track look narrower.
Old 23 Nov 2017, 08:49 (Ref:3782380)   #45
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeh went for a drive around the track today, not very impressed! Hopefully will look better when cars are going around it. Also
Seems to impact on city and homes too much. I think this event will be short lived.
Old 23 Nov 2017, 19:24 (Ref:3782466)   #46
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
It will look a lot different once those extra barriers in the road and other things are out of the way. My main concern for the races is how acute Turn 1 will actually be.

I suppose, in the future, using the rest of the loop of the Shortland Esplanade would clear things up somewhat for those in the area, but I'm not sure if the FIA would approve it.

It's a rock and a hard place. You want to go to interesting places and venues, especially for the season finale. Newer permanent road courses, like Tailem Bend, just don't grab people like the classic tracks. And the trouble is, how do you build a track like the classics now?

As for street circuits, Newcastle looks very good. You don't have the lackluster surroundings of a Valencia F1 circuit, or the strict grid pattern of F1 in downtown Detroit.

The course itself looks good, with three realistic overtaking points on a 1.65-mile lap. Also, I'd just about expect an LMP1 at least to be able to average 100 mph around the circuit.

For street circuits of roughly this length (1.6-1.7 miles), Newcastle seems about as good as it gets. The only one I think I would definitively place higher is the 1993-97 layout of the Vancouver street circuit that CART used.

In any case, I'm glad they listened to, and acted on, the driver recommendations they got for how to improve the course after the original proposal.
Old 23 Nov 2017, 23:19 (Ref:3782524)   #47
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There’s a lot of people in today...

“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 24 Nov 2017, 01:05 (Ref:3782537)   #48
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
Super 2's cutting 1:13s. Qualifying and pitstops so important this weekend.
Old 24 Nov 2017, 01:15 (Ref:3782539)   #49
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
Can I put an immediate patent and trademark on the term "King of the 'Castle" please.
Old 24 Nov 2017, 02:36 (Ref:3782543)   #50
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
Interesting comments from SVG after first session:

Quote:
It’s going to be hard work, 250km, zero passing spots, which is average, it’s going to be all about qualifying,” said van Gisbergen.