Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 26 Jun 2000, 17:14 (Ref:19636)   #1
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hesitated to post this, since I thought it to be of interest only to North America types. Until I saw mention in this forum of such people as Smokey Yunick and Mickey Thompson by some 'furiners' with a better knowledge of US motorsport heritage than myself.

Earlier this month, I was fortunate to attend the 2000 ceremony of the National Motorsport Hall of Fame, in Detroit. Inducted this year:

Cook Cleland/Aircraft Racing
Tom D'Eath/Powerboats
Peter Gregg/Sports Car, Road Racing
Sam Hanks/Indy 500
Bob Hannah/Motorcycle (Moto cross)
Ray Harroun/winner of first Indy 500 (1911)
Danny Ongais/Drag Racing
Wood Brothers/Stock Cars
Smokey Yunick/Stock Cars, Indy

Biggest surprise: Induction of Ongais for his drag racing, not Indy or road racing.
Funniest moment: showing a montage of Smokey Yunick's biggest moments to the music of Hank Williams's "Your Cheatin Heart"
Most Touching: The music to Peter Gregg's video, "Everybody Hurts" by REM. (Peter commited suicide when his career waned after an eye injury.)
Nice to see: Fireball Roberts widow, George Follmer, and Peter Revson's sister, Jennifer.
Also in attendance: Rahal, Papis and Brack

If I had more room (and time), I'd tell you the stories Bobby Allison and Benny Parsons told about Yunick's creative interpretation of the rule book. This is one evil genius!

Although almost exclusively North American, past inductees included many that have come to the US to contribute to our versions of the sport, including Colin Chapman, Jim Clark, Denis Hulme and Bruce McLaren.

If any of you find yourself in Detroit with an hour or two to spare, the Hall of Fame Museum is a must. They have an excellent memorabilia and collectibles shop too.
Old 26 Jun 2000, 17:25 (Ref:19639)   #2
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
Neglected to include:
Heritage award to Bob Russo, who, with Mickey Thompson, pioneered indoor motocross racing.
Old 26 Jun 2000, 19:27 (Ref:19654)   #3
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Allisin and Parsons tales of Yunicks 'eveil genius' - would they include the devlish 15/16ths scale '66 Chevelle?

My favourite ever 'cheat' story!

I've gotta add the NMHF to my US tour!

Old 26 Jun 2000, 19:40 (Ref:19656)   #4
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
Sparks, that wasnt one of the stories told that evening. I know it is a famous and familiar story, but I dont recall the details. If you find the time sometime, tell it. I promise I'll tell the other Yunick stories when I have a chance.

If you, or anyone, does come to Detroit and would like to visit the Hall of Fame, let me know. Besides possibly getting discounted (or better) tickets, if there's I chance I can meet up with y'all, it'd be my pleasure.