Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > The Chassis History Archive

Old 20 Oct 2009, 19:49 (Ref:2565673)   #76
Mick Henderson
Rookie

Mick Henderson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Allen, I realised it was formula2.net that I was recalling. The only B20 chassis no quoted that I noticed is Peter Gethin's car, although it's oddly listed as B20.F2.2.
I made a mistake in the description of my car, the roll hoop cross tube is higher, not lower as I'd stated.
Do we have a list of the known surviving cars & their current owners? It'd be good to be able to share information & help amongst eachother.

Michael.
Old 21 Oct 2009, 06:15 (Ref:2565960)   #77
Harry Hickling
Rookie

Australia
Australia
Harry Hickling should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi All.

Thought you might be interested in the fact that I am racing the B20 in NZ at the beginning of next year in the Bruce McLaren festival.

If you look at the attached and open the August newsletter you will see a brief write-up of the car.

http://www.nzfmr.co.nz/info_pages.ph...rs/pages_id/15

The car now has the Chevron Factory 1900cc FVC fitted and we are just working on the exhaust. This is not the original BDA engine sold with the car, but the engine configuration as per Steve Millen driving it in the NZ Tasman Series (And ex Kenny Smith engine from memory). Should be fantastic. If you look carefully through the Chevron history they had a very close connection to Cosworth.

When I get back home - if you like I will list out all the chassis No's the best I know them and their history. This will help to fill in some gaps for you - but it does remain a work in progress.

Best Regards

Harry

P.S. Cathy and I have also entered the Ldn Cape Town Rally in 2011. We are also driving our 1937 MG SA from Peking to Paris at the end of next year. So we have a busy life along with our business. I wrote a book at the end of the last one "To Finish is to Win" available through MGCC UK website or leading Australian bookshops - it is a good read.
Old 23 Oct 2009, 06:58 (Ref:2567673)   #78
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Chris Townsend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is the record for B20s that is waiting to go onto oldracingcars.com

All sources suggest that nine were built, and the following engine configurations are given for these cars:
1 BDA Smith; 1 BDA Richardson; 1 BDA Race Engine Services; 1 BDA Hart; 5 Lotus t/c.
The t/c engines would have been fitted to the FB cars in 1972/3 and to the solitary F3 car.

Of the BDA engined cars we know that Lepp’s British Atlantic chassis was initially fitted with a Richardson, that Gethin’s works F2 car ran a Smith, Watson’s F2 car the RES, but Green’s car used in SE Asia was fitted with a 1600cc Richardson BDA when delivered. The figure of nine seems, however, to discount the 1971 development model, so the total production appears to be ten. All but one of the cars are known to survive (and the South African car may well be out there), but complicating the situation is that there are thirteen chassis numbers for the ten cars built. This is because Chevron seem to have allocated duplicate plates for the three cars built to F2 spec. These numbers seem to correspond as follows, 20-72-02 to 20-F2-2; 20-72-08 to 20-F2-3 and speculatively 20-72-09 to 20-F2-1. These F2 plates are observed at times on cars that seem, on the basis of their other appearances, to carry the other plate. 20.F2.1 is more problematic, but it seems possible that the 20.72.1 given for Gethin’s car at the BARC 200 at Thruxton was in fact F2.1, since 20.72.1 is clearly assigned to Skeaping’s F3 car which was in another race that day. We suspect that this was the works test chassis for much of the season, and rebuilt into a late season production model for export to the far east.

20.71.01 According to an advert on race-cars.com this went to Fred Opert and was used by Bobby Brown in the first 1971 Bogota GP, and subsequently by Brown and Jim Grob. Although a number of B20s were on the entry list for Bogota this seems to have been the only one to appear. Grob took over the car at the Road Atlanta race of the SCCA FB series in early July 1971. Grob carried on using a Chevron B20 in SCCA [as both an FB and FC] until 1974. Given the known histories of other Opert B20s it seems certain that this was 20.71.01. According to log book then to Peter Symonds who kept it until mid 1977, when offered for sale, Formula May 77, p. 60 Pete Symonds, 246 Wethersfield St, Rowley MA 01969, ‘Chevron B20, white’. Then to Jack van Dell, according to log book. To Pierre Haverland (Belgium) in 1988 and advertised on race-cars.com in 1999. Sold to Nelson Todd in Ireland. Mick Henderson 2007

20.72.01 A semi-works car run by Chris Skeaping in the British F3 series. Finished in February 1972 so assigned the first number in the 1972 series.
Used by Skeaping for most of the season. Chassis number given by F1R for Gethin’s F2 car at Thruxton BARC 200 at Easter 1972, but MN reports later in the season speak of Elford and Gethin’s car at European races as having been this car, whilst giving the 20.F2.2 and 20.72.02 plate numbers, so this is probably an F1R typo.
Probably the “B20 F3” for sale by Chevron, A/S 2 Aug 73 since this was the only F3 car in the B20 series. Sold to Alex Lowe and used in British Monoposto and F4 series for a number of years. To Nick Crossley 1994. For sale 2007 as having had only three owners [Skeaping/Lowe/Crossley].

20.72.02/20.F2.2 The regular works car for Peter Gethin in the European F2 Championship, sometimes taken over by Vic Elford when Gethin drove in the BRM F1 team. All sorts of chassis numbers are given in race reports suggesting that a certain amount of plate or chassis switching took place, but since Lepp is racing regularly in Atlantic with the only other early season BDA engined car (04), his car has to be a distinct entity from this one.
MN 24 Feb 72 p.18 publishes photo alongside: 'Another new single seater to be tested at Silverstone last week was the Chevron B20 which Peter Gethin is to drive in the Euro F2 championship. Fitted with an 1800cc Alan Smith BDA Bennett did a dozen or so laps in the damp as Gethin was still suffering from the after effects of flu.'
MN 16 Mar 72 p.9: chassis number given for Gethin’s car at Mallory Park. A/S remarks Alan Smith BDA and no time to sort car 16 Mar 72 p.34. Chassis number 20.72.1 given MN 6 Apr 72 pp. 10-11 for Gethin’s car at Thruxton. A/S chassis number not given; but ‘virtually untouched since Mallory’. At Nurburgring Elford drives [MN gives chassis B20-1; A/S 4 May 72 p. 28 says Elford entered in 20.72.2 which Gethin normally drives].
At Pau Gethin drives [A/S 11 May 72 p.13 says the Alan Smith powered car used by Elford at the Nurburgring; MN 11 May 72 p. 5 says 20-F2-2 [number given] ‘used the previous weekend by Elford’.] At Crystal Palace, Elford again drives,
A/S 1 June 72 p. 14 says 'in the works Chevron which he used at the ‘ring and which won at Pau with Gethin'. MN 1 June 72 p.14 says ‘Elford back at the wheel of Gethin's Pau winning B20, the car absolutely unaltered'. At Rouen Gethin is back and has a bad accident [‘write off’ A/S; ‘badly damaged’ MN].
Gethin then appears in a car of unknown plate at Hockenheim, 9 July, Imola, 23 July, Mantorp 6 August. Watson takes over at Brands Hatch ‘Rothmans 50,000’ 26 August, Gethin again at Salzburgring 3 Sept, and alongside Watson in the new 72-F2-3 at Oulton Park 16 Sept, Gethin at Hockenheim 1 Oct 72 has a chassis number given as F2-2 by F1R.

Taken to the South American series for Dave Morgan. Sold to Tony Martin in South Africa in 1973 from there in a deal that also involved a March 722 and Brabham BT38. Run for Glenn Martin in South Africa in 1973. Subsequently unknown.

20.72.03 Perhaps delivered to Opert in early 1972. Used by Bobby Brown in 1972 SCCA pro championship after the 1971 car is sold to Grob, and perhaps before this, including the Japanese GP at Fuji, and perhaps the second race at Bogota. (Brown's car in the first race has orange bodywork and in the second, blue) All Opert B20s seem to have been sold at the end of the season. At Caracas in early 1973, when virtually every car in Opert’s shop seems to be entered, there are no B20s in the list.

For sale on www.race-cars.com Roll bar stamped 72 FB 14 [this is an SCCA region stamp for Las Vegas region in SoPac division, not the chassis number]. Ad said ‘Raced in SE & SW SCCA to 1978’ with driver Paul Lindell (which would accord with the roll bar stamp).

Traced history:
Steve Marschman 2004
Walt Pawluczkowycz, Evergreen, Colorado
James Sawyer, traded Porsche 912 for car, January 1978
Paul Lindell (Houston)
Richard Jackson for sale Autoweek 28.2.76 p. 22 by Jackson 12888 Noel Road, #2085 Dallas 75320 is a B20 with t/c and BDA photo shows, car has race no 2 on it, red or blue, and the modified nose that's conspicuous on the car in the race-cars.com advert.
Autoweek 30.8.75 for sale by Richard Jackson of same address seliing a B20 only here it is described as 'ex Brown' . This cannot be the first Brown car 20.71.01 as that's known to be with Symonds at this time.
early 75 Autoweek we have for sale by "Price" 20305 Mosscrest Dallas TX Immaculate Chevron B20. This seems to have been Price Cobb and would be the car he ran in 1974 with Freeman Racing.
Before that probably the B20 of Chip Mead in 1973. There are only two B20s unidentified in 1973, those of Mead and Joe Shepherd. Shepherd doesn't sell his until 1976, indeed it's for sale Autoweek 17.1.76 p. 29 3901 College Ave Indianapolis 46205, so 03 must be Mead's car. And since this car was originally Brown's it suggests that Shepherd's was the ex Lepp 20-72-04.

Now with Steve Marschman (USA)

20.72.04 Used by John Lepp in the British Atlantic series in 1972 with a Richardson BDA. Exported to the US at the end of the season fitted with a Holbay t/c. [Thus providing the Richardson tuned BDA that is fitted to Green’s 20.72.09!]
This more or less has to be the car run by Joe Shepherd [Indianapolis] in SCCA and pro FB races in 1973 and 1974, since his history with a B20 runs parallel to the Cobb/Mead car but would have a Cen Div stamp. With Roger Andreasson (UK) 2003

20.72.05 Delivered to Opert in May 1972. Used by Brian Robertson to win the 1972 Canadian championship. (Since they never appear together, Robertson and Brown could have been using the same car. However, in 1973 the number of B20s appearing together suggests that Opert must have had two new cars in 1972, both of which were then sold on, plus the 1971 development model sold off to Grob. CMB reports that the Robertson car from 1972 goes to Peter Ferguson’s Samsonite team for his girl-friend/team mate Linda Wilson in 1973. Sold back to Opert at some point, as for sale by Opert, Formula June 75, p. 13, ‘Chevron B20 ex Robertson, Canadian Championship car’. (Probably in part exchange for his new Chevron B29.)
Owned by Ed Swart 1989, so cannot be the Cobb-McKay car.

20.72.06 Sold to Pierre Maublanc for the 1972 European hill-climb championship. Used by Roger Damaisan the following year, and then sold to Guy Baria. [Echappement report of Sisteron Saint Geniez hillclimb 21 July 74 says Baria’s car is ex Damaisan.] Possibly via other owners to Patrick Caisson, 1982 he used it as the basis of a Renault engined special saloon. Sold by Caisson in 1989 to Dutoya (France). Sold to Rupert Marks (UK) in 2001.

20.72.07 Said to be a late season car for Brian Robertson, replacing 05. However, perhaps used only once and then to Peter Ferguson, used at 1972 ARRC and throughout the 1973 Canadian season. If so, retained 1974, running both seasons with Samsonite sponsorship. Known to have been owned by Alex Polsinello (Canada) in 1991, so again cannot be the problematic Cobb-McKay car.

20.72.08/20.F2.3 Appears at Oulton Park 16 Sept 1972 for John Watson fitted with 1980cc RES BDA. Carried the F2-3 plate. In 1973 most likely the car of Nelson Todd in Irish libre races, fitted with a BDG engine, and then used by Jim Sherry, Mike Nugent and Richard Parsons in successive years of the Irish Atlantic Championship. There is an established provenance from Todd to Parsons. MN 24 Feb 77 p.15 says Parsons’s car is 'ex Kinnane'; and again MN 17 Mar 77 p. 8; then described as 'ex John Watson MN 9 June 77 p. 13. Sold to Tom MacMillan to Bill Lord (Scotland) 1978 for Scottish Hillclimb Championship, and retained 1979. Lord advised in conversation with Steve Wilkinson that the car was subsequently sold to a business man who was buying up Atlantic spec cars to export to India.

20.72.09 Bought new from Chevron by John Green (Singapore) in early 1973, fitted with 1600cc BDA. Only raced in 1973 Singapore GP. Green died in 1974 and his widow sold the car to Schollum brothers for Steve Millen to use in S.E. Asian races and the 1974/5 Tasman series with a 1940cc FVC engine. Sold 1976 to Ian Grey (or Gray) and fitted with fuel injected BDM engine. Used by Grey for some years in S.E. Asia then to Dick Ward (Australia) and current owner Harry Hickling.
Old 27 Oct 2009, 13:27 (Ref:2570755)   #79
Harry Hickling
Rookie

Australia
Australia
B20 Chassis File

Hi Chris, you have done an excellent job on this and the critical elements match my records also - you have done a great job on the detail and researching the Formula B cars. Hopefully some of my information from the past has helped.

Certainly there are definitely 10 cars with lineage. B20-71-1 and then B20-72-1 to B20-72-9. I don't think there is any doubt about that.

Re: B20-72-9. We have now substantiated Bryan Miller's proposition that the car was also run by John Green at the Gap Hillclimb in Singapore - 1973 Jan 20-21st. Sports and GT Unlimited class as well as the Racing Cars, Sports and GT Cars event.

Re B20-F2-1 / B20-F2-2 / B20-72-2, etc. If you like the works F2 car or cars and B20-72-9?

Something quite interesting. John Watson drove B20-72-2 at Oulton Park on 31/3/72. It was referred to as "being the hired works car and the fourth F2 chassis of the year - in the race write up by Ian Phillips". This lends some weight to your premise that B20-F2-1 is a different car to B20-72-1, and similarly not John Lepps car B20-72-4 car. The guys at Chevron always disputed my original and perhaps clearly incorrect conclusion that B20-72-1 was the Gethin car raced in the Barc "200". Their records had it as Chris Skeaping / Alex Lowe/ Nick Crossley as a F3 car. So this does lend itself to there being an early F2 car / development car alongside the main B20-F2-2 car.

Also of interest the Vic Elford car at Crystal Palace, May 29th 1972 ran with Armstrong Shock absorbers as opposed to Bilsteins. They tried fitting Bilsteins to the car that weekend but reverted back. I have many of the LAT photos of these cars and they certainly showed some change over the year.

It makes sense that there was a development / early car (B20-F2-1 if you like) and then the main Gethin Car B20-F2-2. I certainly see B20-F2-2 and B20-72-2 as the same car. If the car was written off at Rouen, then it is fair enough to say that this represents a continuing development of the one Chassis.

Interesting B20-72-9 did have Armstrongs, B18 drive shafts and B21 front wheels (Stamped by the factory) which led me to believe early on that it was a development car sold by the factory at the end - in factory colours but in as nearly new condition. I also found it a little strange that a new B20 should be made and sold at the end of 1972 when the B25 must have been in production and after B20-F2-3 was rebadged as B20-72-8 waiting around to be sold. Why build a new B20 after this?

It would be interesting to see if any reference ever came up of a B20 F2 car with the 1600c Richardson BDA. Sort of makes sense from an original engine perspective that an early F2 car and development car had a 1600cc BDA as the class struggled to develop the 2 litre BDA's at the beginning of 1972 - it would have been better to put a standard BDA into the car for development. An early write up of the car in Autosport February 1972 after a Derek Bennett demonstration of the car during the same month at Silverstone - states in the future sense that "The car will normally be driven by Peter Gethin and will use Alan Smith 1800cc BDAs".

It is easy to drawn to the conclusion that there was an early F2 / development car and that the remaining factories car were rebadged as B20-72-8 and B20-72-9 at the end and sold off, and that B20-72-2 was sent to Sth Africa. As you say though for B20-72-9 this is rather problematic - the most definitive record is the F2 engine - and this is perhaps the only way to trace it back. Well that ends the speculation on B20-72-9 for the time being - until someone comes up with some facts - which I never could.

Now B20-72-2 was owned by Roger Andreason when I last saw the car. Its chassis plate is B20-72-2 (Is still have a photo of it).

B20-72-8 and B20-F2-3. The John Watson car. I very much agree with your analysis. Just to add that Paul Owens in July 1995 told me that the Watson car was definitely destroyed after it went overseas. I didn't know the India connection so I never researched India for it - I did try to track a record down for South Africa - but not surprisingly with no success.

Good Job.

Lastly, I can't copy my LAT photos for you guys as it would breach copyright. But they have a great collection of photos of the Gethin and Watson cars and some very detailed shots. You just need to contact them - quote the race meeting of interest and they will tell you what they have and you buy what you want (Or at least it was that easy in the 90s when I was trying to piece together the history of the B20s).

Good Luck

Harry
Old 27 Oct 2009, 13:51 (Ref:2570773)   #80
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A piece of just read in an A/Spurt review of 1980 Monoposto series says Lowe wrote off a B20, then replaced it with a different one. This probably muddies the water a little.
Old 30 Oct 2009, 04:48 (Ref:2572339)   #81
Harry Hickling
Rookie

Australia
Australia
Alex Lowe B20s

Hi Dan there is no problem with this. Both of the B20s have survived or at least one rebuilt. Allen Brown has also referred to the incident where the Alex Lowe B20 was written off at Oulton Park in 1980. This does raise some questions about the extent of the write off and restoration, but the two cars are as follows. We have to remember though - what might seem like a write off to the untrained observer, in fact can be readily repaired with these cars. Fundamentally, a race car's lineage is traced by it's chassis no. Therefore you only need the Tub to remain intact to keep the lineage.

B20-72-1. This is the F3 Chris Skeaping, Alex Lowe and Nick Crossley car. The car was sold new as a F3 car. It was sold to Nick Corssley in 1994 and I assume it is the same B20 that he is recorded as being the 1995 1600 F3 Champion in. There would have been ample time to rebuild the car to sell Nick between 1980 and 1994.

The article would tend to suggest that it was this car and then replaced. However, this may not be the case.

B20-72-2. The Gethin, David Morgan car is recorded by "Chevron Cars" in 2003 as having been driven in the 80's in the Monoposto by Alex Lowe. It is recorded as having all corners overhauled, new bodywork, new wings, new steering wheel, new windscreen, new FT200 gearbox. I have extensive photos of the car when it was owned by Roger Andreason and during its final stages of restoration in pristine condition. Certainly the suspension looks new. It is was recorded as "Chassis checked for straightness and aluminium skins are original". This would suggest the tub was intact and in one piece. However, the amount of work here could suggest that some accident damage needed to be repaired or alternatively, Roger wanted an as new in pristine condition restoration. Regardless the lineage of a very important car has been maintained.

I don't know the answer to the question - which one? If someone knew how to contact Nick Crossley I'm sure he would know the answer to the history of B20-72-1 regarding any major restoration work before he purchased it - and therefore which car was nearly written off. Alternatively, the Monoposto race records from the 80s would provide the answer also.

Regardless the two cars in question are B20-72-1 and B20-72-2, and there is no question about the lineage of the Ten Cars (13 Chassis No's).

Harry

P.S. It is also clear that no B20 chassis with a chassis plate of B20-F2-xx, if any such plate every existed, was sold to a customer. All these plates where removed and sold as B20-72-xx chassis no's. e.g. B20-72-2 being sold to David Morgan. The only question is whether there was a B20-F2-1 or development car and whether B20-F2-2 and B20-72-2 are all one car or is there two cars in this grouping. The additional Chassis No. for the Vic Elford car and the four BDA engines suggest Four F2 Cars. B2-F2-1 to 3 and B20-72-4 (The John Lepp Car). Which supports a view of three factory F2 cars (Inclusive of B20-F2-3). This also marries up with Ian Phillips article stating B2-72-2 was the fourth F2 Chassis made (Albeit out of No sequence with B20-72-4). Everything points to 4 cars.

B20-F2-3 was specifically built for John Watson for the last round of the Britich F2 at Oulton Park in September 1972 with a 1930cc Ford Res BDA -in recognition of his efforts in supporting Chevron in 1972 and then eventually sold as B20-72-8.
Old 22 Apr 2011, 19:30 (Ref:2868325)   #82
ossyhodge
Rookie

United Kingdom
ossyhodge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ALL GOOD STUFF

I'd like to thank you guys on a job well done.

Maybe i can shed some light on a couple of F2 Chassis Numbers

The proto B20 was completed in Aug 1971 & appeared at Oulton Park for testing by Derek Bennett soon after ( see photo 1 & note the early data acquisition data strapped to the back of the car)
This was known as 20.F2.1. plus given another spagetti no later on.
The other factory photo was taken on the same day purely for publicity purposes.

The works car driven by Peter G (finished in early 72 was given 20.F2.2.
see photo taken at Thruxton.
By this time it had been christened. 20.72.02.

Keep up the good work.
Attached Thumbnails
img911040_edited.jpg   B20.71.01_edited.jpg   B20 THRUXTON.jpg  

Old 27 Apr 2011, 08:44 (Ref:2870438)   #83
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very useful - thanks

Do you remember the reason for the F2 Chevrons changing their numbering system fro 20.F2... to 20.72...?
Old 27 Apr 2011, 20:01 (Ref:2870855)   #84
ossyhodge
Rookie

United Kingdom
[I][B]Hi,

I think there could have been several reasons for this,including some sketchy Formula type chassis No's prior to the end of 73,when the G.T. car sales went into somewhat of a decline as this was the Bread & Butter side of Chevron Cars.
So personally this was when the Factory had to seriously look at the open wheeler side of things.
Primarily Doug Linton who was secretary at the factory from its inception & Dave Wilson (Production Manager) did not see eye to eye regarding various aspects on how things were done.
Specuatively some " Fudging" on certainly Formula early # No's happened.
Possibly the only person that could answer your question would be the Teams Racing Manager at the time,one Paul Owens.
But i wouldn't bank on getting a straight answer.
The general workforce were kept in the dark on such matters.

Last edited by ossyhodge; 27 Apr 2011 at 20:04. Reason: add ons
Old 4 May 2011, 16:54 (Ref:2874069)   #85
Mick Henderson
Rookie

Thanks for posting photos of my car Hodge, I have copies on my workshop wall to remind me what it should look like. Progress is good but slow due to other projects. Just to confirm, my chassis plate reads:
Type B20 71 B
Chassis 1
I tried LAT for photos, but they couldn't find close up detail shots, if anyone can help I'd be interested.
Old 4 May 2011, 19:33 (Ref:2874183)   #86
ossyhodge
Rookie

United Kingdom
Your B20

No problem Mick, here's a couple more for you when it was in Japan.

BY THE WAY DID YOU SAY IT CAME VIA Laurent Fort (Esprit de Competition)nr Marseille?
Attached Thumbnails
Bobby Brown Lark sponsored B20 Japan.jpg   L - R. Bobby Brown.Fred O.Nick Craw. Japan - same race meet..jpg  
Old 5 May 2011, 19:28 (Ref:2874894)   #87
Mick Henderson
Rookie

Laurent Fort owned it for about a year, having bought it from Nelson Todd, I must have been the only one brave or foolish enough to seriously take it on.
I'm fairly certain the no'2 car in the Fuji photo isn't mine, going by the painted sides, slightly different roll hoop & body, I still have the original orange B18 body & alloy nose.

Mick.
Old 13 Jan 2013, 07:49 (Ref:3188452)   #88
Harry Hickling
Rookie

Australia
Australia
Chevron B20-72-9 Original Engine Details

Hi Chris et al,

Firstly, I have attached a photo of Steve Millen in B20-72-9 during the NZ Tasman Series. And a good detailed photo of Peter Gethin's car - Front Suspension and Rear Suspension, to help show how the cars should be set up. B20-72-9 matches theses photos and I think all B20's will except for changes to the wing mounts and some early cars had armstrong shocks, but most with Pre-Set non-adjustable Bilsteins.

Secondly, for those interested in the Engine Listing in David Gordon's book: "Chevron - The Derek Bennett Story." It lists three 2 litre cars.

I just stumbled over an interesting detail: The John Green car, B20-72-9 is listed at the 1973 Singapore GP as Chevron B20 Hart. I had understood from Chevron Cars in 1997 that is was the 1600cc BDA-Richardson. So perhaps it is actually the 2000cc BDA-Hart detailed in David's book?

Also for B20-F2-3 / B20-72-8, Chevron Cars advised that B20-72-8 had a 1900cc BDG injected motor. This is the ex John Watson car.

Hope you like the photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_NEW.jpg (1.03 MB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0001_NEW.jpg (1.12 MB, 46 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Millen in Flight.pdf (241.0 KB, 43 views)
Old 13 Jan 2013, 14:25 (Ref:3188541)   #89
Mick Henderson
Rookie

Thanks for posting the photos Harry, I find the detail shots very useful.
The inflight shot of Steve Millen is a great one.
Are you doing the Denny Hulme festival in NZ next week?

Mick.
Old 14 Jan 2013, 08:32 (Ref:3188838)   #90
Harry Hickling
Rookie

Australia
Australia
Hi Mick. Unfortunately not. Ran the car at the Sydney HSRCA Tasman meeting and support races for the V8s at Winton in Nov. Had a great time with the car. I am hoping that we will have several runs with the V8s this year.

At Winton, I pulled off the track with the car - early due to heavy rain whilst on my slicks, into the V8 pits area and was overwhelmed with spectators and people who were really pleased to see the Historic F2 and Atlantic races, alongside the tin tops. Had a great time.

By the way all, I am putting up for sale my 1600cc Fuel Injected BDM that we built for the car, as per Ian Grey, before the current Chevron Factory FVC was restored. If anyone is interested, I can be reached on harry.hickling@apvcorporation.com. It is a very special, low mileage BDA.

Finally, enjoy the Denny Hume festival. Hampton Downs is great fun, but I really did enjoy Pukekohe in the Chevron. The B20 just flew there as the ground effect cars had less of an advantage over the nimble Chevron. The car just loves fast smooth flowing circuits. Tight circuits like Winton are much more of a struggle to keep up with the ground effect cars - but they are 10 years younger!

Harry
P.S. Mick I think Chris will delete these emails in due course as we should do this via private messages or use my email address above.
Old 26 Feb 2013, 23:33 (Ref:3211402)   #91
Steve Marschman
Rookie

Steve Marschman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Harry: Isn't the wing on Millen's car mounted back further than was first issued on the B20? I'm still trying to figure out how best to mount the wing on my car as it has a cobbled-up aluminum sheet metal structure which, not only looks unsafe, but is not a factory mount. My progress is slow and not real steady; I've been distracted with sport bikes the last couple years. But, I have started laying out the parts for the BDD to see what I need to buy new and what is usable from my accumulated pile of parts.

Best wishes-
Steve
Old 19 Sep 2013, 10:28 (Ref:3306097)   #92
Harry Hickling
Rookie

Australia
Australia
Wing Mount and front Wing

Hi Steve, sorry I haven't replied earlier re the wing mounting.

The wing mounting on B20 changed from the early production to the later cars. The first wings were all mounted nearly directly above the gearbox as you can see on the prototype car and the Gethin car.

The wing on the Steve Millen car, is original as it is today. I also believe this wing was also the Watson car? Probably others also and possible the Factory cars also changed to the later mounting system during 1972.

I haven't really checked, but the wing mount is probably similar to the next generation of Chevron's as well, because B20-72-9 left the factory late 72 or early 73, the B25 was already in production. So possible the wing mount was simply the then current mounting.

FRONT WING WARNING

For anyone building a new front wing, please ensure that you place a clip on either side of the front wing to hold the top centre section to the bottom undertray / wing centre section as far back as possible near the front springs.

My front wing is beginning to lift at the rear and dislodge on fast circuits. As far as I know the top and bottom portion of the wing, only had the locating tabs and spring clips. At least that is all that was on my car. However, I suggest a secondary clip as far back as possible to prevent the front of the wing pushing down and the rear lifting up - creating a risk of it hitting the ground with nasty consequences.

The original cars had a large fuel extinguisher bottle that helped to keep the undertray / bottom section of the wing in place. My car no longer has this, so perhaps this is also contributing to the problem.

Hope this makes sense.
Old 19 Mar 2014, 10:38 (Ref:3381843)   #93
Harry Hickling
Rookie

Australia
Australia
Hi all. With much regret I have placed the B20 Chevron up for sale at the Bonhams Auction at Goodwood in June, 2014. Anyone attending might like to take a look over the car. It will have an extensive spares package and I have included all original panels, etc with the car, body panel molds, wheel molds, spare front wing, even original unused suspension components. With the FVC engine this is a truly remarkable car. I hope it goes to a good home and then sees some great racing in Europe. Certainly for those going to Goodwood, gives you a chance to look the car over. As an aside the price is very realistic and will be a great opportunity for someone.

I hope to be able to upgrade to a DFV based car in the future.

All the best

Harry.
Old 19 Mar 2014, 11:04 (Ref:3381853)   #94
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hickling View Post
Hi all. With much regret I have placed the B20 Chevron up for sale at the Bonhams Auction at Goodwood in June, 2014. Anyone attending might like to take a look over the car. It will have an extensive spares package and I have included all original panels, etc with the car, body panel molds, wheel molds, spare front wing, even original unused suspension components. With the FVC engine this is a truly remarkable car. I hope it goes to a good home and then sees some great racing in Europe. Certainly for those going to Goodwood, gives you a chance to look the car over. As an aside the price is very realistic and will be a great opportunity for someone.

I hope to be able to upgrade to a DFV based car in the future.

All the best

Harry.

Sorry to hear that Harry.

You did a lot of work on all the B20s. As you're now moving on to other things, could you let us know where you got to on it all? Email me at allen@oldracingcars.com if that's easier.

Thanks
Allen
Old 23 Mar 2014, 07:33 (Ref:3383214)   #95
Harry Hickling
Rookie

Australia
Australia
Hi Allen, thanks for your kind words. I believe most of the history has really come together for the B20s with the help of everyone's contributions. I'm sure more will come to light over the years, and perhaps some interesting details will unravel about the early factory cars and I would be really interested to see some work on the Fred Opert cars.

I'll send any pieces of information that might be if interest to you as i clean up my files. I have a heap of photos.

Good luck to everyone. I should probably spend some more time on the Rennmax archive also.

Harry
Old 2 Apr 2014, 00:08 (Ref:3387634)   #96
Steve Marschman
Rookie

Steve Marschman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hickling View Post
I'll send any pieces of information that might be if interest to you as i clean up my files. I have a heap of photos.

Harry
Harry: If you have photos of your build/car, I would love to get copies to help guide me in my work.

WRT Fred Opert... I called him and talked to him shortly after I acquired my car. Let's just say the conversation was short and terse. I learned nothing about my car or the other two Opert cars. Sad, but I fully understand that in his life, many cars have passed through his team and I'm sure he gets more inquiries than he would ever have time to answer.

Best wishes as you transition to another adventure. Please contact me privately about photos, etc.
Steve
steve"at"tetonmoto.com