Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 27 Apr 2012, 11:29 (Ref:3066111)   #1
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
What do you think makes Le Mans magical ?

Just like to know what you people (especially the ones that have been there for the 24 hours) feel makes Le mans a magical experiance .

I'll reserve my comments .
Old 27 Apr 2012, 11:38 (Ref:3066113)   #2
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Anticipation
Start
Dusk
Night
Morning
Finish
Aftermath

And everything between those
Old 27 Apr 2012, 11:54 (Ref:3066120)   #3
aneesh99
Veteran

United Kingdom
aneesh99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Anticipation
Start
Dusk
Night
Morning
Finish
Aftermath

And everything between those
Hit the nail on the head with that
Old 27 Apr 2012, 12:47 (Ref:3066139)   #4
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
I can only paraphrase the Harley Davidson advertisment 'strap line' "If you have to ask why....you don't understand"
Old 27 Apr 2012, 12:58 (Ref:3066141)   #5
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
The magic for me is simple, being there
Old 5 May 2012, 09:53 (Ref:3069650)   #6
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee View Post
I can only paraphrase the Harley Davidson advertisment 'strap line' "If you have to ask why....you don't understand"
Great line, and sums up Le Mans (for me) perfectly!
Old 5 May 2012, 15:58 (Ref:3069883)   #7
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
perhaps it is an addiction, but one I have no intention of ever finding a cure for
Old 27 Apr 2012, 13:18 (Ref:3066144)   #8
barnettracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dorset
barnettracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Because it's Le Mans. 'Nuff said.
Old 27 Apr 2012, 13:54 (Ref:3066157)   #9
rwindle
Rookie

United States
Dallas, Texas
rwindle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When I discovered the existence of Sports Car Graphic, AutoWeek and Road & Track at the tender age of 10, in 1963, the very first issues of those magazines I purchased featured coverage of Le Mans. I had watched Indy on TV and thought that was pretty neat but not magical.

But a 24 hour race in faraway France, on public roads, 2 or 3 drivers per car, an 8 mile track, 4 miles of straights, stops for fuel and tires, major repairs made to the cars in the pits/paddock, Ford was in the first stages of their assault to defeat Ferrari's dominance, Indy paled in comparison.

The magic remains with me today.
Old 27 Apr 2012, 14:47 (Ref:3066187)   #10
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
One of the things that really buzz's me is last practice on Thursday night ..... thats always a right hammer and thongs session .

The other thing that gets me is the night time to early morning , glowing brakes , cherry red turbo's and various id lights all doing their stuff ..... and realising there is still 8 hours left to run .

Afternoon , all dirty with carbon dust sometimes make out hand prints where some mechanic had touched it , taped up badywork and damage ..... gladiators !!!

The general buzz , but that would take ages to list . Anyway , Chiana hit the nail on the head really .
Old 27 Apr 2012, 15:32 (Ref:3066208)   #11
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Dusk, Dawn, and cheering the walking wounded to the finish... Though that first Night Practice is always a buzz, as you said.

It CAN be a right royal pain at times, but those are my favourite bits.
Old 27 Apr 2012, 15:51 (Ref:3066215)   #12
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Well for me the most magical moment is the break of dawn, for the last ten years or more I always magically wake up just before dawn and watch a hour on my own as the day breaks the sight of the cars coming out of the gloom is unrivaled in any other form of motor sport
Old 27 Apr 2012, 18:22 (Ref:3066272)   #13
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
gt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
FRANCE and the FRENCH
Old 29 Apr 2012, 12:26 (Ref:3066928)   #14
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Thursday night.....hammer and thongs session.
Kinky!
Old 29 Apr 2012, 12:37 (Ref:3066935)   #15
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03 View Post
Kinky!
..... thats a dirty mind in action !!!
Old 5 May 2012, 09:44 (Ref:3069638)   #16
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The history, the circuit, the atmosphere, the cars and the fact it's 24 hrs.
Only been there once, 2008, but I still get goosebumps thinking about it.

Plan to marshal the Classic this year.
Old 5 May 2012, 09:50 (Ref:3069649)   #17
Steptoe
Racer

England
10618 miles from Le Mans - NSW Australia
Steptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Everything, the whole place just oozes atmosphere...... especially the dark.
Old 30 Apr 2012, 17:19 (Ref:3067549)   #18
barnettracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dorset
barnettracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
hammer and thongs session.
Sounds like the Austrians know how to party !
Old 5 May 2012, 08:52 (Ref:3069613)   #19
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnettracing View Post
Sounds like the Austrians know how to party !
LMAO ..... now I see my mistake . Im not Austrian , just live here for the last 18 years .

@ Thongs !!! ..... now I understand James quick remark .
Old 29 Apr 2012, 06:36 (Ref:3066770)   #20
gucom
Racer

gucom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the hypnotic effect of all the different engine noises going for 24 hours

daybreak on sunday morning, feeling almost heroic for still being there to witness the world waking up again and to properly see the circuit and the cars again, and then realising you're only just past halfway there - and when that feels challenging, spare a thought for the drivers and the pit crews!

the combination of almost F1-budget factory teams, who use the race to prove their engineering skills and to give their brand more sex appeal, and small privateer teams that paid for the development of their car out of pure enthusiasm (Robertson Racing Ford GT, anyone?), at one of the world's 3 great races...
Old 29 Apr 2012, 12:06 (Ref:3066921)   #21
The Badger
Veteran

Sadly , Ive seen the best of the engine years ..... I hope they open up the regs again . Its really sad for me to think I wont hear a V12 at Le Mans again .
Old 29 Apr 2012, 12:43 (Ref:3066937)   #22
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As a spectator, who has (yet) not been there i would say:
The History.
The Battle for the win over 24hours.
The never guaranteed outcome.
Old 29 Apr 2012, 12:48 (Ref:3066940)   #23
Samoan Attorney
Racer

Samoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Just like to know what you people (especially the ones that have been there for the 24 hours) feel makes Le mans a magical experiance .

I'll reserve my comments .
They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so perhaps this short extract from McLaren's 1995 film about their victory will say everything far more eloquently than I could.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBEngMWNZe4
Old 30 Apr 2012, 17:02 (Ref:3067536)   #24
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I love it all. Especailly now that I get to see it all. The whole darned week

But for me - the real deal is the NIGHT.

I've joked plenty here over the years about how people can actually go to sleep during any part of the night, but I'm absolutely serious. You wait all year for the most mesmerising motor racing experience of them all and then you sleep through it? That's enough to have you sectioned in my book. Sleep late on Saturday morning (get there in time for the Tenths meet though ) - or dare I say it, have a couple less beers and go to bed at a reasonable time on Friday night. I'll be 55 by the time of this year's race and the idea of missing the night because I've wimped out for lack of sleep - pah!!
Old 30 Apr 2012, 17:13 (Ref:3067545)   #25
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
The night is good but if you can't keep awake then make sure you get up before dawn breaks watch some of the night racing and then watch the dawn break that is the most magical moment