Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Apr 2017, 12:07 (Ref:3725283)   #76
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Having watched yesterday's, for the most part Verstappen simply wasn't closing on Grosjean fast enough to warrant a blue in my view. He was neither close enough, nor had a sufficient speed differential.
In a number of wordings of Blue Flag information, the key phrase often repeated appears to be 'a car about to be lapped'. As he was ~2s adrift (and struggling to get closer) Verstappen was not about to lap Grosjean.

I have also seen it said that the display of a blue flag does not mean 'get out of the way', but more that you should not deliberately impede the progress of the car behind.

If it is said that Grosjean's aero was the factor impeding Verstappen's progress, then perhaps the penalty should be imposed on whoever designed the aero package/regulations.
Old 10 Apr 2017, 14:07 (Ref:3725299)   #77
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
its exactly what f1 needs! after about 8 years of sour grapes and faces like a cows arse from ham V alo, ric V vet and ros V ham, its nice to see a bit of mutual respect and enjoyment out there
Fully agree, LH went straight towards SV after getting out of the car and thanking his crew, he then waited while SV finished with his team and shook his hand. That is how it should be.
Old 10 Apr 2017, 14:56 (Ref:3725305)   #78
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
its exactly what f1 needs! after about 8 years of sour grapes and faces like a cows arse from ham V alo, ric V vet and ros V ham, its nice to see a bit of mutual respect and enjoyment out there
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man View Post
Fully agree, LH went straight towards SV after getting out of the car and thanking his crew, he then waited while SV finished with his team and shook his hand. That is how it should be.
also agree. i think its refreshing and actually adds to the level and quality of the rivalry in a way which has been missing for a number of years.
Old 10 Apr 2017, 16:51 (Ref:3725335)   #79
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Well said that man! One of the best things about the GP for me was seeing 3 drivers on the podium with big smiles on their faces. Given what they do for a day job, they darn well ought to be smiling! And I see no reason why drivers can't be friends off track and still be ultra competitive on it......
Old 10 Apr 2017, 19:38 (Ref:3725374)   #80
marcel82
Veteran

European Union
Beersel, Belgium
marcel82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what do people here think about Perez and Ricciardo getting an official reprimand for showing up late to the national anthem ceremony? knowing that 3 reprimands gets you a 10 place grid penalty, this seems a bit much for a ceremonial thing?
Old 11 Apr 2017, 09:26 (Ref:3725462)   #81
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel82 View Post
what do people here think about Perez and Ricciardo getting an official reprimand for showing up late to the national anthem ceremony? knowing that 3 reprimands gets you a 10 place grid penalty, this seems a bit much for a ceremonial thing?
It's a fundamental case of disrespect.

Despite all our bleatings about countries and their right to hold a race or human rights stances, they are still the organizing and paying country that is holding the event for our benefit of watching fast cars wizz around. Same as standing still and removing your hat for the national anthems.

Baring an emergency, they should be there on time as per their contract with the host. If the team is the cause, then it should be monetary not grid penalty.
Old 11 Apr 2017, 09:41 (Ref:3725469)   #82
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel82 View Post
A complete load of ********!

This crap with all the drivers standing in a row at the front of the grid for the national anthem was introduced for the inaugural Russian GP by Bernie to appease Putin. Never happened before that.

Drivers managed to show respect for the anthem before this. They didn't need to have to rush to the front of the grid because some reporter wants to interview you, or some fans wanted a photo, etc. etc. etc. And then be penalised for it?? Complete ********!
Old 11 Apr 2017, 10:26 (Ref:3725477)   #83
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABWOA View Post

Despite all our bleatings about countries and their right to hold a race or human rights stances, they are still the organizing and paying country that is holding the event for our benefit of watching fast cars wizz around. Same as standing still and removing your hat for the national anthems.

Baring an emergency, they should be there on time as per their contract with the host. If the team is the cause, then it should be monetary not grid penalty.
I agree. Rules are rules, and if it is in the rules that the drivers must attend on time and they don't, they should be penalised like they would for breaking any other rules (despite what may be thought about the origin of this rule)...
Old 11 Apr 2017, 10:35 (Ref:3725480)   #84
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
So are we gonna see grid penalties if they miss the national anthem? Madness!
Old 11 Apr 2017, 14:51 (Ref:3725532)   #85
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
So are we gonna see grid penalties if they miss the national anthem? Madness!
i want to say that at least two out of the three reprimands have to be driving related so no one is going to get a grid penalty for missing too many pre race anthems.

if they missed the anthem as a form of protest i would support them (depending on what they were protesting of course) but if their reasons are photo ops and an interview went too long then i dont have much sympathy. plus the mechanics get to keep working so is this really a big deal?

actually taking this as a sign that F1 is on the right path when the main criticisms are about people being too nice to each other and about reprimands for on proper sports etiquette and not about bad race officiating or a it being a boring race.
Old 11 Apr 2017, 18:27 (Ref:3725592)   #86
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Why do the drivers have to show up and remove a hat for the national anthem, but mechanics and engineers are working through it?

I'd go as far as saying the national anthem is pointless. If you want to play it then fine, but I've never understood why everyone has to stop to stand around or have a sing song.
Old 11 Apr 2017, 18:41 (Ref:3725597)   #87
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABWOA View Post

I agree completely too. It's a shame that respect is in such short supply these days. Not everyone has dispensed these days with courtesies and ceremony that some consider important. Just ask anyone on (or near) the main straight at Le Mans when the French national anthem is played.....
Old 11 Apr 2017, 20:38 (Ref:3725630)   #88
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Why do the drivers have to show up and remove a hat for the national anthem, but mechanics and engineers are working through it?
because stationary F1 cars will explode if left unattended!
Old 11 Apr 2017, 20:50 (Ref:3725633)   #89
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
because stationary F1 cars will explode if left unattended!
Except for McLarens, where stationary is the natural state!
Old 12 Apr 2017, 15:37 (Ref:3725878)   #90
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Maybe though what was more respectful than drivers lining up for the national anthem was a certain three time champion going over to the crowd to sign autographs