Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 8 Jun 2011, 06:20 (Ref:2893246)   #151
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny_GT2 View Post
Welcome to ten tenths Richard Westbrook! :P
Nice one Danny!
Old 8 Jun 2011, 11:30 (Ref:2893361)   #152
F575
Rookie

F575 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSinger View Post
I suspect it's not just you...
Indeed he was all four off the track. Took this from Village B.

Though to be fair the Aston did run him wide to the edge anyway, he didn't have anywhere to go really. However, if you watch the video of the restart after the Safety car, Muller leaves the brakes off going into Luffield and basically pushes the Nissan round the corner, so they where both as bad as each other.
Old 9 Jun 2011, 10:37 (Ref:2894178)   #153
marcosgt
Racer

England
UK
marcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmarcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm amazed that anyone's sticking up for Mucke.

Whether you're a fan of his or not, that move was so far beyond 'ill-advised' or 'a racing incident' that nothing less than a ban (probably all season) seems acceptable.

I've quite liked Mucke in the past and most of his other incidents have been the result of over-ambitious passing moves, but that was a truculent display intended to intimidate Westbrook (whose passing attempt was untypically hamfisted, lest anyone thinks I'm on his side here) which was stupid and, as his temper affected his distance-judgement, potentially life threatening.

Ok, I don't suppose he meant to write off the cars or even collide with Westbrook, but that was the result of his stupid action which wasn't going to give him any racing advantage...

IMO, he needs time away from racing to reflect on his attitude.

M.
Old 9 Jun 2011, 14:53 (Ref:2894360)   #154
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosgt View Post
Ok, I don't suppose he meant to write off the cars or even collide with Westbrook, but that was the result of his stupid action which wasn't going to give him any racing advantage...
So deliberately running an opponent off the road is ok, and usually doesn't result in a penalty (Watson calls it 'racecraft'), but if you drive into another car by an accident (albeit while being very silly) you should be banned for a year?

A little consistency would be nice.

PS: Here's an example, the defending driver ran his opponent off the road for no reason. The Merc was out of control on the grass and was close killing a couple of marshals. Was the BMW driver banned? Don't think so.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Hgfj...layer_embedded

Last edited by Pandamasque; 9 Jun 2011 at 15:03.
Old 9 Jun 2011, 15:36 (Ref:2894397)   #155
Thin Green
Rookie

Thin Green should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You cannot even begin to compare the two incidents.

One was an over-ambitious racing move which is very common.
The other was a deliberate desire to vent aggression at another driver with terrible consequences as it was so badly executed. Mucke should be banned on both accounts.

The film clip of the Merc on the grass: Did the BMW driver push him there? I cant tell from the clip. It seems more like the driver was trying to make a pass on the grass. Not uncommon: Johnny herbert did the same in an Audi R8 at Monza a few years back and Jean-Marc Gounon used to do it periodically at the start of a race. Sometimes JMG would pick up 6 or more places before the first corner. The definition of 'the track' has changed over the years.

A driver was once being interviewed after putting his car on Pole for a major race. The journo asked, "what was the track like?" The driver responded, "I don't know. I was hardly ever on it!"
Old 9 Jun 2011, 15:38 (Ref:2894399)   #156
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
More importantly in that video, why was the Merc trying to overtake under yellows, he should be given at least a fine.
Old 9 Jun 2011, 15:54 (Ref:2894417)   #157
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thin Green View Post
The definition of 'the track' has changed over the years.
That's pure BS. The definition of track is in FIA Sporting Code for you to read (see appendix L, chapter IV). Anyone who doesn't know it shouldn't be allowed to go near racing car.

If anything, MS did that deliberately last year in Hungarian GP if front of everyone's eyes. That was a cold blooded attempt of murder and about a million times worse than Mucke's red mist and clumsiness. What was the penalty again? +10 grid spots.

@ NightStalk3r
he couldn't possibly see flags behind the BMW and the top of hill.
Old 9 Jun 2011, 19:42 (Ref:2894628)   #158
marcosgt
Racer

England
UK
marcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmarcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamasque View Post
So deliberately running an opponent off the road is ok, and usually doesn't result in a penalty (Watson calls it 'racecraft'), but if you drive into another car by an accident (albeit while being very silly) you should be banned for a year?

A little consistency would be nice.

PS: Here's an example, the defending driver ran his opponent off the road for no reason. The Merc was out of control on the grass and was close killing a couple of marshals. Was the BMW driver banned? Don't think so.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Hgfj...layer_embedded
Well, you're seeing things differently to me.

There was no reason for the Merc that went off in your clip to do so.

He COULD have backed off rather than go on the grass, Mucke dive bombed the Nissan deliberately to intimidate, not to try and take a position (he could've done that easily by driving past since the Nissan was clearly moving slowly).

Once again I'm frankly stunned that anyone can support Mucke's behaviour.

Maybe the attempted pass on the Aston was ill-conceived and always doomed to failure, it always looked hopeless, but it was an attempt to pass, not an angry irrational attempt to get even, which has no place on the track.

Had Mucke been squeezing past and clipped the Nissan with both at racing speed, I'd agree with you, but the in car camera clearly shows he's wasting time given Westbrook the finger rather than driving a race car!

If you feel that sort of behaviour is acceptable, you have a very different idea of what professional motor racing should be about to me...

M
Old 10 Jun 2011, 11:57 (Ref:2895046)   #159
Thin Green
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamasque View Post
That's pure BS. The definition of track is in FIA Sporting Code for you to read (see appendix L, chapter IV). Anyone who doesn't know it shouldn't be allowed to go near racing car.

I guess that is why the ACO only started clarifying the 'track' a few years ago at LM drivers briefings. They even put up bollards to stop drivers from straightlining chicanes. (the bollards didnt last long!) The ACO then started penalising those who had all four wheels off the "track surface"--as defined by the ACO. All those professional drivers obviously didn't read that bit of the code--nor did the team managers or team owners.

In reality, the track is what a driver can use without receiving a penalty--not what it states in the FIA Sporting Code. That's racing. If you can pick up a second a lap by having all four wheels off of the 'Appendix L, Chapter IV track'--and get away with it, you do it. Every other driver will.
Old 10 Jun 2011, 16:24 (Ref:2895217)   #160
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosgt View Post
Had Mucke been squeezing past and clipped the Nissan with both at racing speed, I'd agree with you, but the in car camera clearly shows he's wasting time given Westbrook the finger rather than driving a race car!

If you feel that sort of behaviour is acceptable, you have a very different idea of what professional motor racing should be about to me...
Of course driving a damaged car so close to another damaged car at speed just to express your anger through the side window is not acceptable. I'm just saying he didn't crash into him deliberately.
Old 10 Jun 2011, 17:51 (Ref:2895278)   #161
pauln
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
pauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
In reality, the track is what a driver can use without receiving a penalty--not what it states in the FIA Sporting Code. That's racing. If you can pick up a second a lap by having all four wheels off of the 'Appendix L, Chapter IV track'--and get away with it, you do it. Every other driver will.
The rules are there for a reason and shouldn't be broken without penalty. Drivers/teams have been penalised for this recently from Button in F1 at the start of the season to Will Bratt, who ended up disqualified from the Silverstone F2 round. I'd agree that there needs to be more consistency in application of penalties.
Old 13 Jun 2011, 14:23 (Ref:2898104)   #162
alexkiller8
Veteran

alexkiller8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
mucke at le mans couldn't create dangers because scared about him and broke.....
Old 14 Jun 2011, 19:56 (Ref:2899043)   #163
Thin Green
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkiller8 View Post
mucke at le mans couldn't create dangers because scared about him and broke.....
AMR-One wasn't scared of Mucke. It believed it was a shopping car taking groceries from Carrefour to Arnage--and died of fright with all the fast traffic around it.
Old 22 Jun 2011, 12:28 (Ref:2904231)   #164
cg7aa
Veteran

cg7aa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
AMR-One wasn't scared of Mucke. It believed it was a shopping car taking groceries from Carrefour to Arnage--and died of fright with all the fast traffic around it.
Boom! Aston will bounce back.
Old 23 Jun 2011, 11:30 (Ref:2904701)   #165
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
AMR1.

The car that died of shame.

Here's to a better car when they come back.