Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 12 May 2010, 19:14 (Ref:2689343)   #1
E-racer
Rookie

Sweden
London
E-racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Le Mans Photo tips

I'm going to Le Mans after a couple of years absence and wondered if people could share their favourite photography spots and tips for the great race? I remember being frustrated by the fences and gravel traps everywhere last time I went. Any tips are very welcome!
Old 12 May 2010, 20:35 (Ref:2689382)   #2
jimmie
Rookie

jimmie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-racer View Post
I'm going to Le Mans after a couple of years absence and wondered if people could share their favourite photography spots and tips for the great race? I remember being frustrated by the fences and gravel traps everywhere last time I went. Any tips are very welcome!
best tip: leave your camera at home, or just take a cheap one for taking pics of your mates.
with all the chavs and pikeys that are at Le Mans nowadays, chances are any decent camera will get nicked, and there arent many good angles from spectator side.
Old 13 May 2010, 06:06 (Ref:2689570)   #3
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The fences and gravel traps are still there! I wouldn't beat yourself up too much about trying to get great action shots on track, it will just be frustrating, maybe concentrate on the off track stuff.
Old 13 May 2010, 14:05 (Ref:2689790)   #4
iucrmh
Racer

iucrmh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some possible spots

All is not so doom and gloom. With a decent length lens, the exit of the esses and the inside of Tertre Rouge can yield some decent results. It used to be OK from the Pits Grandstand as well.
Old 13 May 2010, 14:55 (Ref:2689827)   #5
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
There are numerous places after the dunlop bridge where you are looking down unobstructed onto the track, you might be a few yards away but no fences to obstruct the shot.
Old 17 May 2010, 11:51 (Ref:2692439)   #6
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
The area overlooking the entry to Porsche Curves is also fence free. With ingenuity, there are lots of places you can go... I have quite a list I intend to try!
Old 17 May 2010, 21:06 (Ref:2692845)   #7
E-racer
Rookie

Sweden
London
Thanks. Porsche curves is definitely on the list. Any chance you can share any more of your ideas or are they top secret???
Old 18 May 2010, 12:16 (Ref:2693263)   #8
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
The main thing is if I tell everyone, I won't be able to get there myself...

I used a LOT of slow shutter stuff, to 'lose' fencing...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandfis...7619756290525/ for some ideas. ALL taken spectator side. Long lens, wide open, can 'lose' the fence. Or pan with a slow shutter speed.

Use your head and your eyes, there's lots of choice, TBH.
Old 18 May 2010, 14:17 (Ref:2693345)   #9
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Another good photo spot...

Old 18 May 2010, 18:51 (Ref:2693493)   #10
Joe Taylor
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warwickshire, UK
Joe Taylor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here are some examples of what I managed last year: http://www.flickr.com/photos/1600580...7623964047053/

The first 2 were taken from the same spot, on the ridge along between Dunlop and the Tertre Rouge esses. You probably need a larger zoom than my camera (10x) to get very good images though. The next is at the Tertre Rouge esses, it's probably the best spot on the circuit for photography, but the downside to this is that it is always busy. The 4th photo is taken from the banking just before Tertre Rouge. It's very steep, but you can get some great shots. The final photo is at Arnage: you can just about get a catch-fencing free photo of the cars before they disappear off into the countryside.
Old 2 Jun 2010, 11:58 (Ref:2703151)   #11
E-racer
Rookie

Sweden
London
Most photographed car in 2010?

BMW just released pictures of the new art car. Can't wait to try some panning shots of this one. It looks like its doing 200mph whilst standing still.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Se...based-Art-Car/
Old 16 Jun 2010, 12:27 (Ref:2713137)   #12
Yakuncha
Racer

Ireland
Dublin,Ireland
Yakuncha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From my Le Mans week I can recommended the following places for photography from the public areas. A D-SLR camera and 280mm + focal length lenses are recommended as you want the camera to take the pic when you want and not have to think about it first. Also know how to use it as correct aperture/shutter adjustment can make the little bits of fence disappear. Also make full use of the tribunes before the race weekend!

Start/finish straight tribunes
Balcony of the Bar that overlooks pit exit - just ignore the French people claiming the area where they are drinkng is 'private'
Dunlop Tribune
Inside on the entry to the Esses near the Bugatti circuit turnoff - probably the closest spot you can get, frame the shots right and you get the 24H logo on the wall in the background into the shot
Inside and outside of the Esses
Inside of Tetre Rouge (outside is possible but messy)
Mulsanne Corner (messy but worth it, especially at night)
Exit of Arnage (provided you time it so its not crowded, not easy)
Outside on entry to Porsche Curves (could do inside too, but you need to be resident in the campsite there)
Tribunes at entry to Ford Chicane

Last edited by Yakuncha; 16 Jun 2010 at 12:36.
Old 16 Jun 2010, 19:14 (Ref:2713319)   #13
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
They've restricted the inside at Porsche? It was free for all last year... Mostly empty overnight!
Old 16 Jun 2010, 23:47 (Ref:2713452)   #14
Yakuncha
Racer

Ireland
Dublin,Ireland
Yakuncha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
They've restricted the inside at Porsche? It was free for all last year... Mostly empty overnight!
Not 100% sure on that 1 though! Still I proved there are plenty of places to shoot from on the wrong side of the fence
Old 19 Jun 2010, 21:11 (Ref:2714841)   #15
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmie View Post
best tip: leave your camera at home, or just take a cheap one for taking pics of your mates.
with all the chavs and pikeys that are at Le Mans nowadays, chances are any decent camera will get nicked, and there arent many good angles from spectator side.

Not my experience and I've been taking my camera/lenses to Le Mans for the last 25 years. But then again, if the primary objective is to get 'well-oiled' throughout the week, then perhaps it would be best to go without your camera (and your mobile, oh and your iPod, oh and your wallet...... )
Old 16 Jul 2012, 23:10 (Ref:3107416)   #16
wahwahwah
Rookie

wahwahwah should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Le Mans Sweet Spots.

I was a Le Mans virgin. I learned an awful lot. Not least of which was that very few people do the 24hour thing. (A little wussy if you ask me.)

I DID however do the finish line, shivering, 4;30am "24 heure Le Mans" sign thing... and they're kind of lovely. (Alright. I'm a woman. But birds can love old cars too.)

PS Please don't ban me again for being someone you think I am but I'm not?

I'm Becc.

bpmotorspirit.

(short bird - dark hair - smiles at engines - wears headphones)
Old 26 Nov 2012, 17:02 (Ref:3171789)   #17
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahwahwah View Post
I was a Le Mans virgin. I learned an awful lot. Not least of which was that very few people do the 24hour thing. (A little wussy if you ask me.)
What is wussy? Not doing the 24 hour thing?
Old 30 Nov 2012, 13:59 (Ref:3173528)   #18
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
The Boys decided to go 'different' last year, as Dan wasn't accredited, he didn't take the 'gear', but shot the whole thing on an iPhone!
The results were fascinating...
http://lendurance.co.uk/2012/06/spec...-in-instagram/