Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 30 Sep 2002, 17:59 (Ref:392421)   #1
Kelvin
Veteran

Kelvin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brands MG accident?

Sat 28th there was a big accident at Brands including at least 3 MGs,
(a Maestro and two Fs)
Did anyone see this or have any photos?

Cheers
Kelviin (former series photographer)

Last edited by Kelvin; 30 Sep 2002 at 17:59.
Old 30 Sep 2002, 18:20 (Ref:392442)   #2
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kelvin, if you haven't got a photo of that, no-one will!!

Sounds like two expensive write offs.. and one very cheap one...

Are the drivers ok??
Old 30 Sep 2002, 18:43 (Ref:392460)   #3
Kelvin
Veteran

AFAIK, they are all ok..
Andy Campbell lost it on Paddock Hill, Nick Golhar moved to avoid hitting Andy, then the following MGF hit the Maestro then second MGF rear ended first MGF...
Well thats the story I had...

Kelvin
Old 30 Sep 2002, 19:01 (Ref:392467)   #4
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
This happened in front of us but no photos, I'm afraid, was off duty!

All drivers were fine when we spoke to them in the paddock and none of the cars were write offs. All looked a lot worse than it actually was thankfully!

The Maestro will need some work to the front nearside and needs thoroughly checking over to ensure nothing is twisted. The F's hit each other head on and whilst neither looked pretty the driver of one of them assured us it is merely a case of replacing some body panels. Not cheap body panels, admittedly...!

Wonder if Barry Ambrose got any photos of the incident ? We saw him surveying the damage immediately after the chequered flag - not sure he was in the vicinity at the start though.
Old 30 Sep 2002, 20:26 (Ref:392507)   #5
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kelvin,

As soon as I have a spare £100 or so to get the 10 films I have from various recent weekends developed, I'll see. I think I started snapping as Andy spun, but not sure how much I got of the incident. I certainly got some pics of the aftermath. The F's, as Craig said, should be OK with a bit of panelwork. I thought Andy's 1600 would be very badly mangled from the force of the impact, but it looked, from what I could see, as though he might get off quite lightly. He's split his gearbox as most of the force was taken by the front wheel, and the bulkhead may have been pushed back, but it needs further investigation. Paul Roberts, Martin Gilchrist and one of the Perry's will also need some panelwork thanks to later incidents.

What amazed me was that hardly anyone slowed down for the black and yellow flag. The leader kept going at pretty much race pace (scary when you have 3 cars parked in the middle of the road up towards Druids) and of course no one was inclined to slow and let him get away. I was worried about the marshals, with MGs hurtling past about 1ft away...
Old 30 Sep 2002, 20:53 (Ref:392526)   #6
Kelvin
Veteran

Thnx for info...
Missed a cracking race :-(
Old 30 Sep 2002, 21:41 (Ref:392567)   #7
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hi gang, I got some sort of sequence but it wasn't too spectacular (the incident)so I'll see what developes (like it?)Watch out in Ingear Motorsport! The white MGF was the guys second only race-he needed a signature from this race to lose his novice cross...as he didn't complete it he starts next year as a novice still! It was actually worse than it looked. the front end was pretty well mullered and the rear end took a big knock as well...so much so that the door wouldn't shut properly...I'd say it was very close to a write off...the driver was well cheesed off!! On a sad note, one time Dunlop Miglia racer and laterly sprint & hillclimb driver Tony Higgins passed away at Croix over the weekend. Apparently his Mini slowly veered off the circuit to a stop. When circuit staff arrived at the car it seems that Tony may have already died. Air ambulance took him away but nothing could be done. A lovely man who lived to drive Mini's fast...He will be missed.
Old 30 Sep 2002, 22:02 (Ref:392583)   #8
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
PS: It struck me as well...how many drivers know what the yelow and black quartered flag means? As Maisie says many didn't slow...one guy (wont mention his name)in a grey Maestro actually overtook at the top of Paddock under waved yellows and the quarted flag and then lost it sideways before getting it back together again (just)with marshals on the circuit at the foot of the hill. Overtaking took place again under the quartered flag in othe races! If drivers don't understand what the flags mean then they shouldn't be behind the wheel or are these the one's that couldn't be bothered with driver briefings beforehand?
Old 1 Oct 2002, 10:01 (Ref:392891)   #9
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Some good points there Barry! One of the problems is that some organising clubs use the black and yellow, others don't. If it were used by EVERY club then the drivers would be better informed in my opinion. Obviously the flag isn't used for international meetings as they don't recognise it at all.

Normally the marshals on post report any driver who fails to slow down or overtakes while the flag is being shown. In most cases the driver has to see the C of the C for a severe dressing down and often financial relief. Licence endorsements can also be given as well as disallowed times. Generally the powres that be take transgression of the black and yellow very seriously as they are aware there are often marshals working trackside.

I was the Observer at Post 3 for the first MG crash and the driver was fine. We asked for a doctor and rescue unit because the driver did complain of leg pains initially. As most of you are aware, we work on the side of caution, just in case!
Old 1 Oct 2002, 10:38 (Ref:392912)   #10
Maisie
Veteran

Awww, missed you again Stephen Was looking around for the red boots but obviously didn't look hard enough
Old 1 Oct 2002, 10:58 (Ref:392926)   #11
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
They made several ventures onto the track to chat to the Clerk of the Course as he passed in the rather fetching MG Course Car. Maybe if you are at the FF Festival?
Old 1 Oct 2002, 11:51 (Ref:392964)   #12
Maisie
Veteran

Sorry, but the thought of a whole day of spindles makes me shudder
Old 1 Oct 2002, 11:52 (Ref:392967)   #13
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Shame on you Maisie. Oh well, no need to put the extra coat of polish on the red trainers then *sighs*
Old 1 Oct 2002, 16:40 (Ref:393212)   #14
rick vaux
Racer

rick vaux should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh go on , go on, not your tax return, your trainers....
Old 1 Oct 2002, 20:14 (Ref:393403)   #15
Richy_Rich
Racer

France
France
Richy_Rich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Going back a bit Baz, surely if it was the guys second only race he needs to do another 8 or so to loose his novice cross?
Old 2 Oct 2002, 22:09 (Ref:394433)   #16
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Must admit Rich I thought that-it did look like a pretty new car so perhaps he meant it was only his second ever race with the MGF? looking at my pictures his car hit the wayward Maestro of Campbell with the front end while the rear is being "jacked up" (banger racing term!) by the yellow MGF.