Old 20 Dec 2002, 13:31 (Ref:454201)   #1
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Suzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will Hoy - sad news

Dear all

Just received this message from Doug Nye (courtesy of AtlasF1):

"It's so sad - especially at this time of year - Will Hoy passed away last night, having developed an inoperable brain tumour whose symptoms first manifested themselves seriously during the Goodwood Revival meeting in September. In many ways you couldn't have wished to meet a nicer guy..."

Last edited by Suzy; 20 Dec 2002 at 13:31.
Old 20 Dec 2002, 13:40 (Ref:454205)   #2
Gonfra
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Racer

United Nations
International Man of Mystery
Gonfra should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This extremely sad news, Will was a true gent and a bloody good racer to boot,British Motorsport has lost one of it's greatest supporters
Old 20 Dec 2002, 13:42 (Ref:454206)   #3
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Vitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridVitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will Hoy

Suzy has already posted this on the BTCC forum: a message via Doug Nye, originally posted at Atlas.

"It's so sad - especially at this time of year - Will Hoy passed away last night, having developed an inoperable brain tumour whose symptoms first manifested themselves seriously during the Goodwood Revival meeting in September. In many ways you couldn't have wished to meet a nicer guy..."

RIP

Bob Marley
Old 20 Dec 2002, 13:42 (Ref:454207)   #4
Teletubby
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Teletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTeletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm stunned by the news, a true gentleman! My condolences to his family and friends.
Old 20 Dec 2002, 13:42 (Ref:454208)   #5
Gonfra
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Racer

United Nations
International Man of Mystery
Gonfra should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very sad news
Old 20 Dec 2002, 13:44 (Ref:454209)   #6
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Unbelievably sad news - Rest in Peace Will

Gone but never forgotten.
Old 20 Dec 2002, 13:46 (Ref:454210)   #7
Teletubby
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Teletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTeletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My conolences to his family and friends
Old 20 Dec 2002, 13:49 (Ref:454212)   #8
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very sad to hear this.
Will should not just be remembered for his Touring car races but also his many sportscar and most recent historic outings.
Old 20 Dec 2002, 13:51 (Ref:454214)   #9
Erdosfreak
Rookie

Erdosfreak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't believe it, I really can't. My sympathies to all in his family.
Old 20 Dec 2002, 13:52 (Ref:454215)   #10
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thanks for letting us know, not a nice thing to find out. My condolances go out to his family and friends, who I hope will keep his memory alive.
Old 20 Dec 2002, 13:55 (Ref:454219)   #11
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Total shock.

Will Hoy was always quite tongue in cheek humour which I liked. Fair and top racer too.

Top man.
Old 20 Dec 2002, 14:00 (Ref:454221)   #12
davemorganfan
Racer

davemorganfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Terrible news. I heard some time ago that he was ill, but I hoped it wouldn't come to this. A cracking good driver and a lovely bloke too by all accounts. Another good guy no longer with us.
Old 20 Dec 2002, 14:03 (Ref:454222)   #13
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Terrible news - my condolences to his family and close friends. He will be sadly missed by many people.
Old 20 Dec 2002, 14:06 (Ref:454224)   #14
Sim_Da_BTCC_Man
Veteran

Sim_Da_BTCC_Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Blimey thats a shock. deepest sympathys to his family. Such a great bloke and a great loss to everyone. Not only is he such a great guy but he has been such a great driver.

Last edited by Sim_Da_BTCC_Man; 20 Dec 2002 at 14:07.
Old 20 Dec 2002, 14:24 (Ref:454238)   #15
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sympathy to Will's family and friends, he was always a driver to watch, and brings back memories from well before BTTC.
rest in Peace Will, you always put on a show
Old 20 Dec 2002, 14:31 (Ref:454250)   #16
Invincible
Racer

New Zealand-Maori
Warrington
Invincible should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very Sad news, Will was one of the finest drivers in British Motorsport, he was a generous person.

British motorsport has lost one of its finest drivers

My condolences to his family and friends
Old 20 Dec 2002, 14:51 (Ref:454263)   #17
RollingThunder
Rookie

RollingThunder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When I started Super Touring Magazine Will Hoy was one of my first major interview subjects, though by then I already knew him quite well both through three years covering Touring Cars for other titles and my involvement in some of the other things he got up to outside the BTCC.

He loved to drive cars of any sort and I particularly remember a feature we did on Fast Car magazine in I think 1992, when Will drove and gave his opinions on a number of road saloon racers at Goodwood - we all had a lot of fun that day.

Will was always the perfect gentleman and made my life as a Touring Car journalist a great deal easier. Even when things weren't going well, and let's face it he had some pretty dire years especially the later ones with Toyota, he was always willing to give me full answers to my questions without any bull - unlike some of his colleagues.

His one BTCC title stands as testament to Will's talent, and we should remember that it could so easily have been two back-to-back successes. While everyone remembers John Cleland being punted out of the title finale in 1992, they forget the unreliability that suddenly blighted Will's Toyota, while his team-mate and team boss won the race.

Now that I spend some time on a Classic magazine, I was privileged to watch some of Will's historic racing, and it was a pleasure to see him clearly enjoying himself a lot.

Touring Car racing, and the sport as a whole is a lot poorer for Will's passing - my sympathies to Will's family, former team-mates and many friends.

Andrew Charman
Old 20 Dec 2002, 14:56 (Ref:454268)   #18
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh dear, oh dear , oh dear... so very sad. Especially for his family at this time of year. Lifes very hard sometimes.
What a great racer, and man we have lost.
Old 20 Dec 2002, 15:04 (Ref:454272)   #19
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am so very sad, I meet him once and he was a true gentleman who always had time to talk to the "ordinary people" regardless of his other commitments. A devastating loss to his family and friends and to the world of motorsport. My sincerest condolences.
Old 20 Dec 2002, 15:12 (Ref:454276)   #20
E46
Veteran

Spain
Zaragoza, Reino de Aragón
E46 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My condolences for his family from Spain
Old 20 Dec 2002, 15:32 (Ref:454283)   #21
Jellybabe
Racer

Jellybabe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's very sad news, especially, as ghinzani says, at Christmas. I remember asking him to sign a recipe book for me once (it was a charity book called Racy Recipes with drivers contributing their favourite recipes) and we ended up having a conversation about the merits of stew and dumplings over mince and tatties!
Old 20 Dec 2002, 15:41 (Ref:454289)   #22
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Jeez I feel terrible at this news. He was such a nice bloke.
Old 20 Dec 2002, 15:43 (Ref:454292)   #23
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is awful news and a terrible shock He will be greatly missed amongst the whole motorsport community. Rest in peace, Will.
Old 20 Dec 2002, 15:45 (Ref:454293)   #24
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I really can't believe how sad I am to hear this news. He was such a lovely bloke and always good value for money. Never ever saw him miserable. My condolences to Will's friends and family. I will miss him.
Old 20 Dec 2002, 16:28 (Ref:454311)   #25
stickycompound
Rookie

stickycompound should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To all of Will's admirers & colleagues.
I was with Will when he passed away in hospital last night. And I'm sure you'll take some comfort from knowing that he went with no pain or discomfort. In fact he had 5 darned good looking women (including his wife and three nurses) telling him he was the sexiest guy in the hospital - and he just passed peacefully away. In the circumstances, it was a fine moment. Will was a fine guy and he will be remembered for all the right reasons. I would ask that you say a prayer for his wife and children who face a Christmas that none of us can contemplate. There will be a family private service in the next few days and we are planning a wider Celebration of Will Hoy for sometime soon in the New Year. His website will give all the details (and I apologise for it not being up to date as I write this, but it's been a long night & day). Make a note of www.willhoyracing.com. And many, many thanks for all your kind thoughts and words.

MIKE SMITH.