Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 15 Jun 2003, 14:21 (Ref:631959)   #1
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
James Hunt, 10 Years Ago Today

1976 World Champion turned controversial outspoken (and not just on motor racing) commentator James Hunt died suddenly of a heart attack 10 years ago today, aged just 46. His showings in the private Hesketh team rattled the top teams and earnt him a McLaren drive, which he used to take the title after Lauda's Nurburgring crash. He retired in 1979 after a poor move to Wolf,then became Murray Walker's BBC colleague. Initially, the pair ahted each other, but eventually they gelled into a rgeat team. By his latte ryears Hunt toned down his excessive playboy lifestylre, but it was all too late.
Old 15 Jun 2003, 19:08 (Ref:632154)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Boots.

You don't always inspire me to comment with what you right but you hit the nail with this one.

Like the loss of a good friend I miss James and some, but not all, of the others in this particular forum. And yes I have got damp eyes as I write this.
Old 15 Jun 2003, 19:42 (Ref:632190)   #3
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agreed - you may not have agreed with him always (his admittedly coloured view of Patrese most notably) but he always had an entertaining opinion. A top bloke, what a shame he never lived to see his best years as a person.
Anyone know if his estranged wife let their kids kart or anything similar? I always wondered what happened toJames's house in wimbledon, and in particular did his big alsatian outlive him? and who got his budgie collection?

Him and Barry Sheene were mid 70s Racing for Britain, probably the first two I was ever aware of.

Does'nt 10 years go quickly..
Old 17 Jun 2003, 19:36 (Ref:634758)   #4
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
10 YEARS!?! Christ almighty!

RIP James
Old 17 Jun 2003, 20:00 (Ref:634807)   #5
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Still miss his commentary - he was great. So sad that he died just as he was getting everything sorted out.
Old 16 Jul 2003, 07:57 (Ref:662552)   #6
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
His house was on Bathgate Rd I believe. No plaque or anything, I think. Used to see him on Wimbledon High St in his A35 van. Fantastic commentator (even tho' he was WRONG on Patrese) especially whenever Jarier was being lapped!
Old 18 Jul 2003, 18:33 (Ref:665154)   #7
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rest well my friend
Old 28 Jul 2003, 10:30 (Ref:673129)   #8
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He was a truly outrageous man and anecdotal stories about him from those who knew him never fail to crack me up. He clearly was a great bon viveur as well as a talented and ballsy driver. I loved his commentary - its a pity there isn't anyone like him in the current F1 circus either on or off the track.
Old 29 Jul 2003, 21:05 (Ref:674697)   #9
D-Type
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coulsdon, Surrey
D-Type should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
James was definitely his own man.
And the world was a better place as a result.

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.