Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 13 Jun 2006, 07:48 (Ref:1633187)   #1
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
greenamex2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dry sump installation

Do you need an oil catch tank on a dry sump installation?

I am coming more from the scrutineering side of things than any functional requirement?

Thanks.
Old 13 Jun 2006, 07:52 (Ref:1633194)   #2
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
from a scruitineering point of view i think you do

its not speed thats dangerous, just the sudden lack of it!
Old 13 Jun 2006, 10:07 (Ref:1633294)   #3
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Where else would you run your breather to?
Old 13 Jun 2006, 10:17 (Ref:1633308)   #4
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
Whoever is trying to overtake me?
Old 13 Jun 2006, 11:34 (Ref:1633378)   #5
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Best to position the catch tank in the boot area and run a breather from main tank to this. I have a full manual on Weaver pumps and installation tips if you want to photocopy.
Old 13 Jun 2006, 12:56 (Ref:1633467)   #6
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Al, you posted that picture somewhere on here. I'll have to dig back through old TRC or similar threads.

Denis, simple plumbing:

Oil in (pressure)
Run from oil tank to pump then out of pump through filter to block.

Oil out (return)
From sump scavenge (x2 or more) (and block/head etc.. (to pull vacuum! makes rings seal better not too much or the flames get pulled past the rings and.... booooom!)) to pump. From pump via cooler(s) to tank.

On the tank there are generally two breather ports. One is into the top section of the tank, this goes to the rocker/cam cover. The other goes into the lower chamber, which goes to your catch tank. If you over-fill with oil, it'll act like an aerosol and fill your catch tank pronto!.

Try to keep the run from the tank to the pump as short as possible (feed/pressure side), though there's nothing stopping you from running the tank in the boot, other than the cost of miles and miles of aeroquip.

IF you decided that the place for the tank is in the passenger footwell, make sure it's in sealed off from the passenger compartment (I found out about this at Brands this year, even though it's been like it since..... and I've seen Sunbeam Tigers with the tank behind the passenger seat, and Al's IROC Camaro, but they are "period" cars - so's my ruddy Thundersaloon!)

I assume that this is the, or one of the, proposed rule change(s) to ModProds??

I would have thought that you could use the "external" pump rule on your car Denis, have a "big" sump made, and run it that way....

Rob.
Old 13 Jun 2006, 13:07 (Ref:1633479)   #7
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I found the thread;
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...0&page=5&pp=15

It shows the V8 installation, though I, and others like Ric Wood, advocate fitting the cooler in the low pressure return to the tank - it reduces their tendency to burst!!

Hope this shows you what you need (ish!)

Rob.
Old 13 Jun 2006, 13:55 (Ref:1633519)   #8
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
Thanks guys, I think I have got it.

My big problem is my car doesn't have a boot so I am going to make some cardboard tanks and see where I can stick them.

This is in preparation for me going out to play with the CT's in October (after the Mod Prods season has ended) but as everything will probably have to be custom made (bloody car) I am getting in early.
Old 13 Jun 2006, 14:08 (Ref:1633530)   #9
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Bassom
Thanks guys, I think I have got it.

My big problem is my car doesn't have a boot so I am going to make some cardboard tanks and see where I can stick them.
The scrutineers won't like them, as soon as any oil gets in a cardboard tank it will disintegrate fairly quickly.
Old 13 Jun 2006, 14:11 (Ref:1633535)   #10
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
What I meant was, oh never mind.

Besides, they would probably leak less than my engine has so far this year!
Old 13 Jun 2006, 14:31 (Ref:1633556)   #11
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Have a word with those nice helpful people down at Think Automotive before you start spending and fabricating Dennis, you never know.

Look forward to going head to head with you in CT, the Donnington meeting sounds real good, another with Dunlop I believe and they have a nice buzz about them.

Last edited by Al Weyman; 13 Jun 2006 at 14:33.
Old 13 Jun 2006, 14:35 (Ref:1633558)   #12
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
I use a 1 gallon thinners tin, My team mate uses a 1 gallon plastic oil can placed near the exhaust, it makes some very interesting shapes after a race.
Old 13 Jun 2006, 14:38 (Ref:1633562)   #13
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
It's OK, PACE are sorting me out. I just need to try and fit a 5 litre tank somewhere. Fortunately they do some very thin tall tanks.
Old 13 Jun 2006, 14:43 (Ref:1633566)   #14
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob
I use a 1 gallon thinners tin
I hope you give it a good airing first!

Are you using that as the dry sump tank? I thought a one gallon dry sump tank was about two gallons in capacity to allow for the oil running back down.

Or have missed I the joke (other the plastic can, I had a bumper like that once).
Old 13 Jun 2006, 14:45 (Ref:1633568)   #15
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
I think we may have our wires crossed here Dennis, we are using them as oil catch tanks, are you talking dry sump tanks or catch tanks?
I need at least a 3L catch tank on my engine and a 1 gallon tin was the easiest option.
Old 13 Jun 2006, 15:08 (Ref:1633592)   #16
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
I was talking dry sump tanks, hence the confusion.

Fortunately my engines a tiddler (1.6) so I just have a 2 litre catch tank.

My kit has a big engine and I'll was wondering where I was going to get a 3 litre catch tank from.

How big are share size coke bottles?
Old 13 Jun 2006, 15:42 (Ref:1633612)   #17
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
To give an example the Dry Sump Oil Tank on my late 70's Formula Ford holds about 4 litres, but if we fill it too full, it puts the excess it in the catch tank. The dry sump tank is obviously fixed to the chassis but we attach a plastic catch tank wedged between the engine and chassis, although some people make a little ally holder for it. We use a plastic bottle. The type you get screen wash in (about 1 1/2 litres) and leave the cap off. Use the hole at the top of the bottle for the breather pipe from the rocker cover but make another hole for the breather pipe from the Dry Sump Tank.
Using a bottle with a handle at the top also makes it easier to get in and out.

Not sure if that's any help.
Old 13 Jun 2006, 16:31 (Ref:1633654)   #18
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Plastic bottles, old thinners cans, what are you lot like, get a nice bit of aluminuim fabricated bling from DT's, only cost you about fifty quid
Old 13 Jun 2006, 16:46 (Ref:1633665)   #19
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
Plastic bottles, old thinners cans, what are you lot like, get a nice bit of aluminuim fabricated bling from DT's, only cost you about fifty quid
But the plastic bottles come free with screen wash and orange juice. If you are really good you can have a new one every race!
Old 13 Jun 2006, 16:51 (Ref:1633667)   #20
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I know, I have a bling one on my black car but thought sod it for the old tub, she makes do with an old plastic antifreeze can.
Old 14 Jun 2006, 06:30 (Ref:1634018)   #21
Eric Falce
Veteran

United Kingdom
Orpington Kent
Eric Falce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Progress and how time flies, 1965 I spun my E type all the way from Druids down to what was bottom bend ,found out we needed a catch tank, used a 1 GALLON Castrol R can as a tempory measure,Tim now uses a Duckhams 5 litre can on his D!
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 14 Jun 2006, 06:51 (Ref:1634031)   #22
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
1965! Blimey Eric no wonder you can peddle a bit.
Old 14 Jun 2006, 11:54 (Ref:1634235)   #23
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
1965! Blimey Eric no wonder you can peddle a bit.
1965! He can go further back than that, right back to when everything was black and white.

Sorry for the hi-jack
Old 14 Jun 2006, 18:30 (Ref:1634516)   #24
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Respect!
Old 15 Jun 2006, 20:15 (Ref:1635452)   #25
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
Denis,

You should have called, I could have done you a deal on my old oil tank. It was too small for my Chevy, but was OK with a Manta 400 engine, and with a Cossie YB, so it'd do for you. It would have saved me getting it ready to go on eBay.

Rob.