Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 20 Jan 2002, 00:31 (Ref:201512)   #1
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Unsung heroes

Who are the unsung heroes of Le Mans and Sportscar racing, past and present.
Old 20 Jan 2002, 01:04 (Ref:201527)   #2
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Dr. Austin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don panoz for one.

And , of course, Brian Redman. Brian was almost always as fast and someimes faster than his more fancied teammates (Jo siffert, Mario Andretti) but he is a very modest man and was overlooked by the media. Never the flashy type, Brian just went fast and won races.

And later, in the formula 5000 years, he consistantly beat Mario Andretti head to head in nearly equal equipment. Three championships in a row. And Jody Schecter.

So there were guys who grabbed the headlines, but Brian Redman was the quiet professional and consumate gentleman.

And the perfect hero.
Old 20 Jan 2002, 01:39 (Ref:201535)   #3
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
That depends...

,,,on what ya' mean by 'unsung heroes". Here in the States, only a few have ever heard of any of them. Heck, even I have never given a thought to that one.....
Right off the top of my head, Ken Miles, cause he wanted leMans pretty much, so I recollect. And, if I recollect correctly, his MkII crossed the line first ('66) but the win was given to the Mclaren/Amon car 'cause it "covered a greater distance"?
Sound right? I definitely remember reading something to that effect. (A shame...I also remember a disappointed look on his face on the podium...he won but he didn't...) :confused:
Of course he didn't have another chance as he was lost testing the "J" version of the GT40 prior to the next leMans.
Old 20 Jan 2002, 13:53 (Ref:201673)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not "unsung" I know, he was highly respected as a sports car driver, but as the man who should have won Le Mans, it has to be Bob Wollek for me.
Old 20 Jan 2002, 15:29 (Ref:201694)   #5
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unsung heroes - there are many, aren't there? The mechanics who work their ***es off in the pits to keep the car going, the marshals who often put their own lives at risk to keep the race safe - they rarely ever get any credit for what they do.
Old 20 Jan 2002, 15:55 (Ref:201703)   #6
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Cyber - And most "unsung" of all, if taken to the extreme, is US. We the "paying" fans, who foot the bill at the gate, and in the marketplace. Without US, there would be no need for the entertainment called "Auto Racing".
, all of us; for providing the NEED for our great sport!!!
Old 20 Jan 2002, 16:02 (Ref:201706)   #7
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by jimclark
Without US, there would be no need for the entertainment called "Auto Racing".
...could somebody please tell Bernie Ecclestone that
Old 20 Jan 2002, 17:41 (Ref:201744)   #8
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by cybersdorf
The mechanics who work their ***es off in the pits to keep the car going,
Ah yes, 1990 i think, the mechanics worked their ars*s off on one of Team Daveys cars, money was short, so the mechanics held up signs begging for food. It was worth it in the end as both cars scraped home and were both classified, a tremendous achievement for the team and my Dads most satisfying moment as teams faltered with all their millions of dollars!!
Old 20 Jan 2002, 19:21 (Ref:201793)   #9
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by cybersdorf
Unsung heroes - there are many, aren't there?...the marshals who often put their own lives at risk to keep the race safe - they rarely ever get any credit for what they do.
Thanks for the mention Cybers, I would add to that ALL Vouluteer Officials. And while on that note, it was with shock that I read of the passing of Laurence Willis, the British GT Eligibility Scrutineer who died of a heart attack on the 19th.

Laurence, like the majority of officials had a day job and put in a lot of time at circuits. I for one will miss him in the PitLane this year.

Old 20 Jan 2002, 19:26 (Ref:201799)   #10
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Having just spent a most enjoyable afternoon in the company of one of them, can I put in a small word for the Radio Le Mans commentators as well?
Old 20 Jan 2002, 20:49 (Ref:201836)   #11
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A few hero's.

First of all Jean Rondau, built his own car on a very small budget, get one fairly lucky win. Sadly to die in a tragic road accident.

Secondly the Pescarolo outfit that keeps plugging away, so close several times if only IF's counted. It is an amature outfit and always very willing to let you see the cars on the Friday walkabout.

A BIG plug as well for the small Porsche outfits that let you walkabout their pits, especialy the one that let the two of us onto the pitlane during practice without any passes whatsoever, "just no flash photo's OK !!!!" It is these people that are willing to let you poke the car, kick the tyres and sit in the seat, so long as you ask first !! that make Le Mans what it is.

SL
Old 20 Jan 2002, 21:53 (Ref:201863)   #12
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
David Terrien - you all know the reason.

I managed to get on Radio Le Mans last year. I'll try again this year. I was also mentioned during the Petit Le Mans radio coverage.
Old 20 Jan 2002, 23:01 (Ref:201913)   #13
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Quote:
Originally posted by jasongore
And while on that note, it was with shock that I read of the passing of Laurence Willis, the British GT Eligibility Scrutineer who died of a heart attack on the 19th.

Laurence, like the majority of officials had a day job and put in a lot of time at circuits. I for one will miss him in the PitLane this year.

It fits in here, doesn't it - if for a very sad reason.
http://www.dailysportscar.com/race/H...?ArticleID=195

My condolences to his family.
Old 22 Jan 2002, 12:44 (Ref:202654)   #14
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The pay drivers, without who the pros would have nothing to do.

The small teams, normally with 911's who give the pros something to winge about other than how unfair every thing is.

Radio Le Mans, not unsung as they sing pretty loudly themselves, but very worthwhile, I can't imagine LM without them, but I can remember...... waiting for Mr Monotone's hourly reports.

The sweet french ladies who clean the bogs at the LM campsites, demanding nothing but a cheery smile.
Old 22 Jan 2002, 13:33 (Ref:202680)   #15
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I agree the unsung hero's of Le Mans for use Brits are the Radio Le Mans team, I am looking forward to June already for anther 5 Day brillent radio, I will be tuning in both from home and at the track, I can not wait.