Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 28 Feb 2013, 12:19 (Ref:3212234)   #1
just85
Rookie

just85 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TT twin gsx1300r awd mini....

Hi all, as the title states I'm posting about a twin Turbo, duel gsx1300 powered awd mini ....

After almost completing my first major car build with the old man (who is an engineer, metal fab) I've been compiling all these crazy ideas for my next project and somehow I have come up with this!... It's just an idea, I'm not dead set on it. I started learning how to use Autocad a few days ago and it kind of snowballed. I don't understand a whole bunch about the performance stuff, yet. What I want to do mainly is teach myself how to use a bunch of tools for building cars, shaping tools, tube/pipe bender, software such as autocad and compile it all into one different/crazy/cool build.

The idea is to get a mini shell. Put it on a table, cut the entire floor out, slice the shell in half from front to back, widen it a few inches, lay everything out, make a tube chassis etc etc. Basically build a car from scratch using a small light weight shell.

The main questions I have for the people who know is, can the concept "work"?

After screwing around in AutoCad for a few hours this is what I have.

It's all roughly to scale. The body has been widened 4" and the track a fair bit also.. I haven't thought of a decent way to run the front wheels other than use chains. From sprocket to sprocket it was going to be almost 5ft which is way too long, so I've added a few slaves. And there would be a couple of gears to reverse the drive on the forward motor.

Not running though a common gear box is this going to create a push effect on a potentially weaker engine and basically render the whole concept useless?.. Obviously I will never get the engines to run exactly the same but most awd cars run different power to each end anyway, right?

Old 28 Feb 2013, 14:55 (Ref:3212302)   #2
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Are you going to reverse the direction of rotation of one of the engines?
Maybe one front/one rear engine would be easier to fit with the available space.

Might be better starting with a space frame & attaching the Mini body parts to it rather than starting with the bodyshell.

Have look here:

http://www.zcars.org.uk/index.php

for a little bit of inspiration.
Old 28 Feb 2013, 15:07 (Ref:3212308)   #3
just85
Rookie

just85 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey Dave, yep, I will be changing directions

I did look at mounting one up each end but the front motor would have to sit up too high messing with my cog or too far forward which messes with weight dist. And it would definitely all be mounted in and around a space frame.. I have seen the z cars stuff, not too sure about their suspension set ups. Have you driven one?

And I also like the idea of the motors being mounted opposite each other because they produce a fairly good amount of torque, I don't want to have to fight the thing every time I get off the gas. I'm assuming the would kind of cancel each other out in this configuration.
Old 28 Feb 2013, 16:12 (Ref:3212322)   #4
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
reminds me of this crazy car:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLtMh20qIp8