Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 17 Jun 2010, 20:57 (Ref:2713964)   #1
silente
Racer

silente should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wheel hub bearings

Hi,

i was looking to a Formula 3 hub assembly and i noticed that they use an SKF angular contact ball bearing with double row.

Is this a common scheme for single seater cars? Do other cars (like formula ford, formula master, formula 2000 etc) use the same scheme or they use two separate single row angular contact ball bearings mounted on the opposide sides of a single piece hub?

Thanks
Old 30 Jul 2010, 20:35 (Ref:2736047)   #2
Belatti
Racer

Argentina
Argentina
Belatti should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For light sport car application I use, as you mentiones, two separate single row angular contact ball bearings mounted in the "O" (not "X" nor tandem) disposition.
Old 10 Aug 2010, 20:28 (Ref:2742673)   #3
.konen
Rookie

.konen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
bearings mounted in the "O" (not "X" nor tandem) disposition.
Could you please explain what is the theory behind this?
Old 12 Aug 2010, 15:32 (Ref:2743592)   #4
Belatti
Racer

Argentina
Argentina
Belatti should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.skf.com/portal/skf/home/p...&newlink=1_3_1

From the SKF webpage you can read:

Quote:
Single row angular contact ball bearings can accommodate axial loads acting in one direction only. Under radial loads a force acting in the axial direction is produced in the bearing, and this force must be counteracted. Consequently the bearing is normally adjusted against a second bearing.When two single row angular contact ball bearings are used, they must be adjusted against each other until the requisite preload or clearance is obtained.

A tandem disposition would only stand loads in one direction.

An "X" (face to face) disposition would absorb less bending moment loads, as the pressure centers of both bearings are closer to each other.

(The center of pressure is the intersection between 2 imaginary lines -axle centerline and the angle in the pic above)
Old 13 Aug 2010, 19:44 (Ref:2744303)   #5
.konen
Rookie

.konen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok. Thanks for good response.
I've heard that especially in single-seaters some of the gurus have shimmed the bearings in order to reduce friction and therefor make the wheel roll more freely. And another thing I've heard is that a few balls have been removed from the bearing for the same reason. Are these methods common? And how would they affect on the durability of the bearing?
Old 16 Aug 2010, 17:06 (Ref:2745340)   #6
Russ-Turner
Racer

England
Motorsport Valley.
Russ-Turner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by .konen View Post
freely. And another thing I've heard is that a few balls have been removed from the bearing for the same reason. Are these methods common? And how would they affect on the durability of the bearing?
Personally I find this very difficult to believe.
Old 18 Aug 2010, 11:55 (Ref:2746522)   #7
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In back to back testing I have been involved in we found a proper Timken taper bearing performed far better during cornering. The tapered bearing gave far better steering response and better exit speeds. I have a theory that ACB's were developed in response to a call for lower bearing friction in a straight line for fuel economy purposes and going around corners efficiently got binned as a primary objective. Ask any Subaru WRX owner how long they last in track competition, not long is the answer. It has never ceased to amaze me as to why they are used in competition at all. Mind you I am not a bearing engineer only passing on what I have found in our racing environment. I would be interested to see if anyone has back to back tested the two types and their findings.
Old 24 Aug 2010, 14:58 (Ref:2749497)   #8
atte
Rookie

atte should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wheel hub bearings

During post-scrutineering the German Formula 3 (TT Circuit of Assen, begin of August) they checked the balls in the front bearings with a magnet. Seems that ceramic balls are used (less heat, less resistance).
Old 6 Sep 2010, 21:19 (Ref:2755410)   #9
THR
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton, England
THR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
they cant really specify that they must be metal balls can they??
quite extreme that tho, they would have to dismantle the bearings and covers and grease and messy! to find out
Old 2 Oct 2010, 17:58 (Ref:2768282)   #10
Russ-Turner
Racer

England
Motorsport Valley.
Russ-Turner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've seen scrutineers mate someone strip a wheel bearing in F.Renault so I have no doubt that this would happen in F3!
Old 14 Oct 2010, 12:07 (Ref:2774823)   #11
RPD Motorsport
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
RPD Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRPD Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
so far in this seasons BARC Formula Renault we have been asked for:

Wheel Bearings
Flywheel
Gear Ratios
Diff eliments
Fuel
Brake pistons
drop all floors to expose bottom of tub etc...

All in parc Ferme aera.

If it holds an advantage, and wheel bearings do, then they will check it!
A good team would be able to get the bearings out and clean within 10mins of being told anyway so it is not as bad as it seems!
Old 11 Nov 2010, 10:19 (Ref:2788470)   #12
silente
Racer

Another question about double row bearings.

Why to use two pieces inner rings? What are the main differences in term of performance, loads, reliability etc from a single piece inner ring?

Do the two pieces bearings normally resist to higher loads? I din't find many informantions on SKF site.

Thanks
Old 13 Nov 2010, 12:04 (Ref:2789605)   #13
RPD Motorsport
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
RPD Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRPD Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2 part inner rings are the only way you can disassemble a back to back (see above) bearing. Otherwise it wont ever be taken apart.

Top teams have all the wheel bearings apart every meeting or every 2/3 days of testing so ease of disassembily is important.

Also wehen the 2 halfs of the hub are fitted the 2 parts are locked together so they do no rotate in relation to each other.
Old 13 Nov 2010, 19:34 (Ref:2789768)   #14
silente
Racer

Thank you RPD.

I have been looking on SKF catalogue to find a bearing similar to that of cars i have worked on, but i have seen that it is very hard to find similar bearings on normal catalogues. Normally they have different product codes too, so it's also hard to find a place where to buy them. Not to say to find tech infos about them to have some basic calculations to choose the right bearing.

Does anybody know where to find informations on the kind of bearing we are talking about?
Old 18 Nov 2010, 21:13 (Ref:2792842)   #15
Erictharg
Racer

United Kingdom
Oundle
Erictharg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bearings...

It wouldn't make the difference between a good driver and a not so good driver. Pit lore. Miniscule impact, plus you run onto having too much play and the bearing failing. Stick with stuff that makes a real difference.
Old 1 Oct 2015, 21:51 (Ref:3578714)   #16
Rina
Rookie

Rina should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What kind of bearing are we talking about, I recently bought a wheel hub bearing, browning, https://www.mrosupply.com/speed-redu..._browning-ept/