Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 10 Feb 2013, 11:31 (Ref:3202355)   #1
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Rally marshals - yellow flags

I was surpised to find no thread about this on 10/10ths, so I started one in the Rally forum, so if rally marshals wish to comment?
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...29#post3202329

John
Old 10 Feb 2013, 18:05 (Ref:3202473)   #2
deley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bramley, Guildford
deley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not sure what you expected or why you were suprised there was no thread discussing the regulation change that removes the red flag and introduces a yellow flag in rallying.

As you can see from the responses in the other thread the meaning and use of the yellow in rallying is completely different and bears no relation to the yellow in circuit racing.

Dave
Old 11 Feb 2013, 08:38 (Ref:3202777)   #3
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At the Wyedean Rally on Saturday we were given a yellow flag (but no instruction about it's use) so when we had a car attack a log pile and rip off a rear door & bumper we (well the spectators actually) used the usual hand signals to warn the following cars.

Last edited by The Fat Clerk; 11 Feb 2013 at 08:43.
Old 11 Feb 2013, 10:29 (Ref:3202849)   #4
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

That's interesting. Were you at a radio point? They should have had the flag and the instructions in the safety manual governing its display. Bit of a briefing failure sounds like.

Still it seems to have worked out correctly.

Regards

Jim
Old 11 Feb 2013, 10:46 (Ref:3202854)   #5
nate93
Racer

United Kingdom
Tattershall, Lincolnshire
nate93 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Yellow flag is to be used at or after a midpoint rescue/recovery location to warn competitors that there is an emergency vehicle on the stage that competitors are likely to catch - don't think any ended up being used at the Wyedean??

It was done to bring it inline with FIA regs - out with red and in with yellow.
I may be wrong - but I think its not also compulsory for those radio marshals with yellow flags to wear a tabard with with the radio symbol on it??
Old 11 Feb 2013, 10:51 (Ref:3202856)   #6
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post
That's interesting. Were you at a radio point? They should have had the flag and the instructions in the safety manual governing its display. Bit of a briefing failure sounds like.

Still it seems to have worked out correctly.

Regards

Jim
Yes we were, maybe Mike in the Radio Car knew what to do.
Old 11 Feb 2013, 23:35 (Ref:3203163)   #7
Ian Briggs
Veteran

Ian Briggs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
At the Wyedean Rally on Saturday we were given a yellow flag (but no instruction about it's use) so when we had a car attack a log pile and rip off a rear door & bumper we (well the spectators actually) used the usual hand signals to warn the following cars.
Perhaps they thought someone of your, erm, gravity would know the regs

As mentioned the yellow in a rally stage has the sort of same effect as a red in racing, apart from it also having the same effect as the white flag in racing, definatly not the same as a yellow, so thats clear

Its also in the regs that if a competitor sees a crashed car, but no OK board they must stop and offer assistance, the next car along to tell the next radio point, which is why the mandatory radio points have radio boards, thus it is possible for a competitor to ask for a yellow flag!

The only time I have had to display a yellow I nearly got wiped out by a scooby that then came within an ace of ploughing into the back of the rescue unit that was on stage in front of him. He claimed he didnt see the 18 stone 6 foot all in orange marshal wearing a dayglo FLAG MARSHAL tabard, waving an FIA regulation sized yellow flag. We got asked to go to see the stewards, who were very nice and asked if I had any experience in displaying flags. I mumbled something about the british grand prix thinking I was good enough and they were happy with that

Anyone wanting to be on a rally flag point, I have 3 up for grabs in Grizedale on the 2nd March!
Old 12 Feb 2013, 10:05 (Ref:3203388)   #8
deley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bramley, Guildford
deley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Briggs View Post

The only time I have had to display a yellow I nearly got wiped out by a scooby that then came within an ace of ploughing into the back of the rescue unit that was on stage in front of him. He claimed he didnt see the 18 stone 6 foot all in orange marshal wearing a dayglo FLAG MARSHAL tabard, waving an FIA regulation sized yellow flag. We got asked to go to see the stewards, who were very nice and asked if I had any experience in displaying flags. I mumbled something about the british grand prix thinking I was good enough and they were happy with that
I thought it was supposed to be a stationary yellow rather than waved?

Dave
Old 13 Feb 2013, 09:02 (Ref:3203951)   #9
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate93 View Post
to warn competitors that there is an emergency vehicle on the stage that competitors are likely to catch
Not the way some drive FIV's in Stages
Old 13 Feb 2013, 10:13 (Ref:3203995)   #10
Ian Briggs
Veteran

Ian Briggs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deley View Post
I thought it was supposed to be a stationary yellow rather than waved?

Dave
It is