Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 14 Jan 2014, 11:52 (Ref:3353787)   #1
AntA35
Rookie

United Kingdom
The Midlands
AntA35 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HANS device and helmet compatability

I made a promise to myself last year that I would kit myself out with a HANS device this year and so I am now looking to go ahead and find something.

I have a couple of questions, which I'm hoping someone will have an answer to:

My current helmet is an Arai GP5K to Snell SA2005 which has the two little predrilled holes for the HANS tether posts, but no posts attached. I would like to continue to use this helmet as it was new only in 2009 and I believe SA2005 still has several years (Oct 2017?) left to run.

First, do I need to purchase a HANS whose Snell standard is compatible with the SA2005 helmet standard, or are HANS devices free of being compatible with the helmet standard?

Second, I believe the tether posts on the helmet are also Snell certified and equally do these need to be certified to conform with the standard on the helmet, or with the HANS device, or possibly both?

Third, I have also read somewhere that the tether posts on the helmet have to be fitted by the manufacturer. Is this the case?

In terms of my application, it is for touring cars so a 20 degree HANS would seem to be the correct one. Any debate to be had on whether it should have the little wings that some of them have to stop the belts slipping off the sides of the HANS?
Old 14 Jan 2014, 13:24 (Ref:3353837)   #2
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I can't be very helpful on this but I have a few pointers.

Yes the HANS posts did change and the compatibility between the two types is poor. IIRC the two can't be used together under the regulations even if you can make them fit. I don't know if the 2010 posts fit the 2005 helmet. If they don't, you will be unlikely to find an old style HANS on sale these days, you will have to search the small ads for a second hand one. I can only get the latest spec for instance.

If you can get the right posts, they are a DIY fit as long as your helmet has the threads in place already.

You could try ringing Stand 21 at Brands, they know an awful lot more than me about HANS devices. For instance the told me that the latest devices with the flip ups are perfect for standard 3" belts, no need for the HANS specific shoulder straps. They were quite derisory about them in fact!

Oh and one good bit of news. There is no date for the expiry of Snell 2005 yet, in fact Snell 2000 has had a stay of execution to 31-12-14 and is still only labelled "may be" withdrawn!
Old 14 Jan 2014, 22:46 (Ref:3354065)   #3
AntA35
Rookie

United Kingdom
The Midlands
AntA35 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank you for helping clear up a few issues. I guess provided we can put the latest spec posts on a Snell SA2005 helmet then the latest Hans with latest tethers will be fine. I'll have a chat with Stand21 and report back.