Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 9 Nov 2010, 23:03 (Ref:2787826)   #1
RF_Racer
Veteran

RF_Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Which simulation software is used by teams and simulator companies?

Im sure they are not developing their own sim software? Just curious what they are using? Any ideas?
Old 10 Nov 2010, 03:26 (Ref:2787887)   #2
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe the teams are using versions of either NetKarPro or Rfactor Pro.
Old 14 Nov 2010, 23:09 (Ref:2790686)   #3
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Red Bull use rFactor Pro and Ferrari is believed to be using a version of NetKar Pro.
Old 15 Nov 2010, 19:29 (Ref:2791241)   #4
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
dyewat808 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I always like pointing out this to people whenever they mock rFactor as being "unrealistic":

"Er, real F1 teams use this 'game' as part of their simulation software".
Old 15 Nov 2010, 19:43 (Ref:2791248)   #5
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
R Factor Pro and R Factor don't provide the same driving experience though.
Old 15 Nov 2010, 20:12 (Ref:2791262)   #6
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Red Bull seem to be doing well with it.. And any team that uses it will have their own software team that can model their car to a very accurate level, PLUS the teams will have a motion base, a full cockpit... etc...

Here is a video of the Red Bull simulator.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGzvq4WvZAc

If thats not a full driving experience... what is?
Old 16 Nov 2010, 00:43 (Ref:2791395)   #7
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember the Willliams simulator from the mid 90's that was an enclosed capsule that could go up and down and round (and invetered) so as to give the driver close to real G-forces. (It came out to Australian to support the launch of the Melbourne Grand Prix.)
Old 16 Nov 2010, 06:35 (Ref:2791435)   #8
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyewat808 View Post
I always like pointing out this to people whenever they mock rFactor as being "unrealistic":

"Er, real F1 teams use this 'game' as part of their simulation software".
Except half the modern era F1 mods are done by people who have no expertise in physics and race car dynamics, whereas the F1 teams have dozens who are among the best in the world in those areas of expertise.
Old 16 Nov 2010, 07:53 (Ref:2791450)   #9
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yeah but that is the mod, not the sim. huge difference.
Old 16 Nov 2010, 12:42 (Ref:2791559)   #10
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
tristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
rFactor is almost completely unrelated to rFactor Pro.

rFactor Pro is (and must be) as realistic as it gets given the right data (and no, the F1 teams don't have all the right data, especially when it comes to tyres).

rFactor is flawed, in as much that no matter how good the various data you put in, the simulation is completely unrealistic. Not once single mod (or default car) handles like a real car, let alone the car it's meant to be of.
Old 16 Nov 2010, 17:59 (Ref:2791736)   #11
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristancliffe View Post

rFactor Pro is (and must be) as realistic as it gets given the right data (and no, the F1 teams don't have all the right data, especially when it comes to tyres).

rFactor is flawed, in as much that no matter how good the various data you put in, the simulation is completely unrealistic. Not once single mod (or default car) handles like a real car, let alone the car it's meant to be of.
That's either quite comforting, or quite distressing.
Old 16 Nov 2010, 18:41 (Ref:2791751)   #12
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristancliffe View Post

does'nt that also have something to do with the power of the computers the teams are running compared to what most people have at home??
Old 17 Nov 2010, 09:41 (Ref:2792010)   #13
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
tristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure it does. But if you take the 'current' sims (iRacing, LFS, netKar Pro, rFactor etc), then rFactor, GTR, GTR2 and all the games that use the same physics engine are EASILY the worst.

Some say iRacing is the best, but I can't afford/justify it.
LFS is pretty good, but is awaiting a patch to improve aspects of the sim (including but not limited to tyres)
netKar Pro is undergoing a bit of a revelation, with several single seaters and possibly the best public tyre model going.

Of them, only iRacing has any quantity of real tracks and cars (though several cars in LFS are real, and most of the rest and in nKP are heavily based on real cars). nKP has various fan-made real tracks for download, but they're all awful and are no more useful than looking at an ordinance survey map for teaching track layouts.

I play LFS and nKP. They can be stunningly useful for a novice driver.
Old 17 Nov 2010, 14:31 (Ref:2792127)   #14
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The thing is the F1 teams employ very brainy people who know cars and physics and stuff so if they're using Rfactor Pro then it has to be good enough for them. The physics must be far more refined than anything the normal sim racing community get to experience.

At the end of the day there are millions of <insert currency here> involved so if it wasn't fit for purpose they wouldn't use it.
Old 17 Nov 2010, 15:14 (Ref:2792140)   #15
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
Exactly. rFactor Pro = good. rFactor normal = very poor indeed.
Old 23 Nov 2010, 17:31 (Ref:2794792)   #16
Litchfield
Rookie

United States
Jacksonville
Litchfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To be 100% honest, watching that video of the Red Bull simulator at Interlagos, the track they are using looks very similar to the implementation used by the league and mod I race with.

http://rfactorcentral.com/detail.cfm...terlagos%20GP4

Why do your own track modeling, when the community has done it for you
Old 25 Nov 2010, 01:46 (Ref:2795461)   #17
Andy Roberts
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Andy Roberts should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litchfield View Post
To be 100% honest, watching that video of the Red Bull simulator at Interlagos, the track they are using looks very similar to the implementation used by the league and mod I race with.

Theres a big difference though between community made fan tracks and proper laser scanned tracks.

As an example, Sebring. I've drove there in Barber Dodge Pro Series and Star Mazda so remember it well. Tried several version on rFactor and it was just a piece of junk, totally unrealistic, but the laser scanned version on iRacing is pretty much spot on as I remember it.
Old 29 Nov 2010, 15:35 (Ref:2797210)   #18
Stahler
Rookie

Stahler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litchfield View Post

I think you are right, RBR uses exactly the same track which is available publicly. I am puzzled by this - how can they have exact data then? Maybe they have some private laser scanned version which they don't want to show but I quite doubt this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Roberts View Post
Theres a big difference though between community made fan tracks and proper laser scanned tracks.

As an example, Sebring. I've drove there in Barber Dodge Pro Series and Star Mazda so remember it well. Tried several version on rFactor and it was just a piece of junk, totally unrealistic, but the laser scanned version on iRacing is pretty much spot on as I remember it.
Of course, nothing can match a proper laser scanned track. There is no accurate version of Sebring in rFactor right now but there is one in production. It's being made by Virtua LM and it should be as good as a non-laser scanned track can be.