Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 11 Aug 2010, 16:24 (Ref:2743105)   #1
Rory
Rookie

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Rory has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Spa - Advice Required

Not sure if this is in the right section of the forum, but here goes

Anyone got any advice on where to camp at Spa? Official circuit wants €160 off me for a 40m2 pitch (I only have a two man tent ).

Thinking of driving up so I need something cheap, seeing as I already spent a fortune at Monaco and have tickets for Monza.

Additionally, what's the craic with general admission and where's the best place to view? In short, how do I get the biggest bang for mu buck?

I'm tempted by the fact McLaren should be hot on the heels of Red Bull and their flexi wings here - haha!!!

Suggestions appreciated.

Cheers.
Old 15 Aug 2010, 23:14 (Ref:2744981)   #2
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory View Post
Not sure if this is in the right section of the forum, but here goes

Anyone got any advice on where to camp at Spa? Official circuit wants €160 off me for a 40m2 pitch (I only have a two man tent ).

Thinking of driving up so I need something cheap, seeing as I already spent a fortune at Monaco and have tickets for Monza.

Additionally, what's the craic with general admission and where's the best place to view? In short, how do I get the biggest bang for mu buck?

I'm tempted by the fact McLaren should be hot on the heels of Red Bull and their flexi wings here - haha!!!

Suggestions appreciated.

Cheers.
I need help to! Ferry or Eurostar and the best way to camp get tickets......
Old 16 Aug 2010, 10:26 (Ref:2745120)   #3
JackN
Racer

United Kingdom
Norrrrrfolk
JackN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unfortunatley, the campsite I used appears to be sold out for the F1

http://en.eaurouge.nl/campsite/circu...horchamps.html

As for general admission there are literally LOADS of places to watch from! There is a massive bank at Pouhon which gives great views of that corner. Another good place is the busstop chicane if you want to see some overtaking. I watched the race on the outside of Rivage because you are nice and close to the action and there is a big screen there too.

But literally, you cant get to La Source, Les Combes and...er....thats it. There is viewing at every other corner on the track basically. It's amazing!

Edit: of course on raceday you will need to be up fairly early to get a good spot. Nothing disgusting, but you'll need to be there in time for the first support race.
Old 16 Aug 2010, 12:46 (Ref:2745194)   #4
Rory
Rookie

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Yeah, I saw Eau Rouge was sold out as well.... trying to barter with another camp site but they are saying minimum stay of 4 nights. Sack that!

Where does Steel tickets get you in to? I presume for all the GA access you refer to, you need Bronze... would that be right?

Also, is it safe enough to get GA tickets at the track or would it be better to get them sent through from a ticketing agency before? Only issue with that is you pay through the nose for the mark up and shipping.

Any other ideas on campsites?
Old 16 Aug 2010, 13:18 (Ref:2745208)   #5
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
if you can, try and collect them from the circuit ticket offices rather than buy them there. at least then you have the peace of mind of having a ticket reserved for you when you get there. i've done that with magny cours before and only paid the ticket price itself.

with regards to camping, i've personally only ever slept in the car park at spa. the one reason i will not go to the race is the camping issue - long walks and me do not go well, and that seems to be an unavoidable factor with spa no matter where you end up. there are plenty of small scale local sites in francourchamps, one in particular i can think of just off to the left at the tjunction before the roundabout before la source (...!).

to be honest, i'd suggest sleeping in the car in a car park and having a tramp wash in the mornings but it's not exactly a great solution :/
Old 16 Aug 2010, 14:38 (Ref:2745242)   #6
Rory
Rookie

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Haha, I like your style Bella.

If it's cheap enough, I'd easy camp the couple of nights in a tent. Was actually wondering about the walking... I know it's a mightly long circuit. I wonder if taking a moutainbike into the circuit is permitted? Bit easier to get around that way... as I'm driving, I could easy take that as well.

The daunting 8 hour drive there and back again from Italy doesn't fill me with much cheer it must be said
Old 16 Aug 2010, 15:01 (Ref:2745254)   #7
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
some of the hills are very seriously steep - a mountainbike would be handy for pedalling around on the flat bits and as far as i'm aware there's no restrictions on bringing one into the circuit but you definitely would spend a lot of time pushing it - specifically up the hill to get to pouhon, the one at pouhon to les combes (nearly had heart attacks trying to walk up there), etc etc. the spectating hill at pouhon is bloody steep as well, so you'd probably want to take a really long chain so you can attach it to a tree! bin bags are a must - sit on, wear, use for normal purpose etc because it'll rain at some point!!

it's not so much walking around the circuit as it is walking *to* the circuit, it's not quite like silverstone or somewhere where you park reasonably close!

edit: 8 hours? easy. i did the hungaroring and back for a weekend for the world series by renault at the start of july if you're going from monza do the gotthard tunnel and drive through switzerland - you'll need a yearly swiss motorway tax disc (you can order online), but the views are amazing and it really wakes you up mid journey. you can get to belgium without touching france and hitting the peages but it takes a little longer!

edit AGAIN: thundersports - hit the ferry not eurostar, go for norfolkline cause you can get a booking either side of your original one free of charge (not possible on seafrance any more), and travel back overnight. between 2-6am on a monday morning is usually ok cost-wise. they may have ramped up the costs already tho.

Last edited by bella; 16 Aug 2010 at 15:08.
Old 17 Aug 2010, 15:58 (Ref:2746034)   #8
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
I was at Spa for the 24 Hours 2 weeks back, and lapped the place at least twice...
THE killer on the legs is the climb up from Eau Rouge!

It may well be different for Bernie's Lot, but for the 24Hours you camp in the woods behind the old Startline Grandstand for 10 Euro? Plenty of room in there, if a little steep in places! Lots of tents to be seen INSIDE the circuit, too. Again, F1 may frown on such behaviour...
Old 17 Aug 2010, 16:02 (Ref:2746037)   #9
Rory
Rookie

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Official camping at the circuit is €160, for which I told them to Foxtrot Oscar.

Has anyone used a Kangaroo TV at Spa? I wondered if it streamed ok at all locations, even remote ones round the back of the circuit. Not sure how they set these things up.... presumably with WiFi routers every 100 meters or so?
Old 18 Aug 2010, 09:51 (Ref:2746474)   #10
pauln
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
pauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory View Post
Has anyone used a Kangaroo TV at Spa? I wondered if it streamed ok at all locations, even remote ones round the back of the circuit. Not sure how they set these things up.... presumably with WiFi routers every 100 meters or so?
They have a transmitter aerial somewhere relatively central which has a range to a couple of kilometres outside the circuit. I had one at Spa in 2008 and had no problems, though we didn't walk the entire circuit. Picked up a signal well before the entry gate at La Source and spent our time between there and Eau Rouge.