Old 17 Jul 2018, 23:23 (Ref:3837207)   #1226
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Nononsensecapeesh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
You have only been here a few days and you are already telling regulars how to post! You will fit right in!

Seriously... Just look back a page and you will see how discussion on the current McLaren situation morphed into a discussion about Brawn. You will see that this happens from time to time but we eventually get back on topic.

And lastly... Welcome to 10/10ths and the F1 forum!

Richard
I may be new to this forum but I have followed Motorsport since the age of 3, I am aware of going off subject, I'm also not surprised that McLaren have discovered their problems lie deeper than just the trials of their 2nd stint with Honda engines.
Old 18 Jul 2018, 02:55 (Ref:3837219)   #1227
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Going off track is completely in keeping with discussing McLaren. It's someone's fault and we're down a rabbit hole with bad endings and hurt feelings. And still haven't addressed the root problem, and occasionally have to change the engine (thread merge/closure but close enough) to blame others for it not working.

Yup sounds EXACTLY like McLaren.
Old 18 Jul 2018, 08:43 (Ref:3837249)   #1228
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Going off track is completely in keeping with discussing McLaren. It's someone's fault and we're down a rabbit hole with bad endings and hurt feelings. And still haven't addressed the root problem, and occasionally have to change the engine (thread merge/closure but close enough) to blame others for it not working.

Yup sounds EXACTLY like McLaren.

Old 18 Jul 2018, 10:17 (Ref:3837264)   #1229
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
This link came up with Casper's link above:

Dennis Ron 2017 MasterEdit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh2iQSU9DJE

It provides interesting insights into Ron's departure from McLaren.

Ron disagreed with his fellow shareholders over the fact that he was not prepared to place the "Technology Company" he had created at risk pursuing success in F1.

Ron wanted out of the company by the time he was 70 in order that he could pursue other interests.

He considers his exit negotiation his most successful ever, and is very satisfied with the settlement he received.

I am really interested to see what the rest of the members make of this video.
Old 18 Jul 2018, 12:34 (Ref:3837304)   #1230
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
More insight into how management can affect a team and specifically McLaren by John Barnard. Terrible audio for part of it by the interviewer's microphone issues but a very interesting interview. Whether his POV on management is valid these days is I guess open to debate and not knowing how a F1 team is managed I will leave it to others to comment on that. I read an interview once that revolved around how big a company can get with one single person managing it and having good control and I recall the magic number was around a hundred people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UjeUo24E0g
Old 18 Jul 2018, 12:40 (Ref:3837306)   #1231
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
Very funny. Then, how about A1GP, my friend?
Is any chances the series could be reborn?
You know there are.
Old 18 Jul 2018, 13:17 (Ref:3837315)   #1232
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekola View Post
You know there are.
Now there's a series I miss
Old 18 Jul 2018, 14:00 (Ref:3837329)   #1233
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nononsensecapeesh View Post
Now there's a series I miss
I call A1GP the Dino series.
And have a strong reason to call it this way.
Old 18 Jul 2018, 18:57 (Ref:3837376)   #1234
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Quote:
I call A1GP the Dino series.
And have a strong reason to call it this way.
Interesting...
Old 19 Jul 2018, 09:02 (Ref:3837453)   #1235
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
You know there are.
??

About time I added you as well...

Old 19 Jul 2018, 12:39 (Ref:3837491)   #1236
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Wonder if McLaren-Renault will improve next year as Renault will have one-less team to worry about with Red Bull switching to Honda?
Old 19 Jul 2018, 13:35 (Ref:3837506)   #1237
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
??

Old 19 Jul 2018, 13:39 (Ref:3837509)   #1238
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Roll on 2019!
Old 19 Jul 2018, 14:26 (Ref:3837521)   #1239
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I choose to believe that he added Mekola to his "Friends List".

Mekola's posts are quite... out there and unique to say the least, but they provide a break from the generally predictable post content on the forum! Keep posting Mekola!

Richard
Old 19 Jul 2018, 14:34 (Ref:3837525)   #1240
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I choose to believe that he added Mekola to his "Friends List".
I was thinking that too - PDA's are not required around here though....

(although if that is the case, picking 'banana waving goodbye' is a bit weird - can't be any more random than a 'rotate' on every post though?)
Old 19 Jul 2018, 23:24 (Ref:3837613)   #1241
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Mekola is my spirit animal.
Old 20 Jul 2018, 13:48 (Ref:3837689)   #1242
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mekola always makes me scratch my head, but at least it's interesting, unlike some.
Old 21 Jul 2018, 06:45 (Ref:3837784)   #1243
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Quote:
??

You have nothing to do here.
Stop smashing with your mallet.
Old 21 Jul 2018, 14:51 (Ref:3837832)   #1244
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Alonso qualified 11th today.
Old 21 Jul 2018, 16:07 (Ref:3837840)   #1245
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
McLaren would be in worse shape without Fred
Old 21 Jul 2018, 16:19 (Ref:3837843)   #1246
cds70uk
Rookie

United Kingdom
cds70uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Agreed, he is still absolutely at the top of his game.
Old 21 Jul 2018, 18:18 (Ref:3837851)   #1247
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Now if he could just keep his thumb away from the “transmit” button on the radio...
Old 21 Jul 2018, 18:26 (Ref:3837852)   #1248
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Now if he could just keep his thumb away from the “transmit” button on the radio...
I wouldn't blame the drivers for the decisions made by the TV director in an attempt to build a narrative.
Old 21 Jul 2018, 18:48 (Ref:3837853)   #1249
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I would. Alonso, like any other driver, knows the TV people are listening in and will broadcast anything juicy. Totally calculated.
Old 21 Jul 2018, 18:59 (Ref:3837856)   #1250
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't agree. The primary use for the radio is for the teams and drivers to communicate. Alonso (and any other driver) should use the radio for whatever they feel is necessary at the time. The TV director manipulating certain clips to build a narrative, rather than provide what is most useful or interesting to the fans should not be considered by the driver.

Funny how the TV director never chooses any happy messages from Vettel. Or messages from Stroll that are more flattering. When you really pay attention to what the TV director is doing, you realise he's building his own story out of selected clips. It's pretty obvious when they use clips that are bleeped out. Would be easier just to not play the offensive content, but they want to use it for their story.

TV director is just using the radio clips to build whatever story he wants. Don't make the mistake of thinking Fred is the only driver making comments. It's Reality TV editing style, in a sport.