Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 28 Nov 2016, 02:09 (Ref:3691612)   #26
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
It's really helped moving all those Altimas I see out on the road. Why would Kia think they know how to do it so right when Nissan seemed to have got it fairly wrong?
Depends on the range of sales and marketing strategies that each takes I guess - including price point and the quality of the car relative to the opposition etc.

It's of course not all about racing but if the Kia is rear wheel drive and using a similar engine configuration to the race car, that provides a stronger link from an image point of view.
Old 28 Nov 2016, 05:53 (Ref:3691637)   #27
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
They already do build a full-size car. It's called the K9/K900/Quoris. V8 powered, rear drive, and everything.

Saw one of those in Bruges (Belgium) a couple of months back.
Parked among the Bimmers, Audis and Mercs it didn't look out of place so I wondered what it was.
Absolutely no Kia identification that I could see, just the Quoris.
Guess they are marketed like Infinity or Lexus in Europe as a separate upmarket brand.
Old 28 Nov 2016, 20:46 (Ref:3691870)   #28
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So it's pretty much just one of these but the Kia version:
Old 29 Nov 2016, 06:03 (Ref:3691962)   #29
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Hyundai vs Kia.

You can just imagine the anticipation from top of the mountain for such a great Australian rivalry
The punters on the hill won't have a choice, they'll have to like it or leave it
Old 29 Nov 2016, 07:56 (Ref:3691978)   #30
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
It's really helped moving all those Altimas I see out on the road. Why would Kia think they know how to do it so right when Nissan seemed to have got it fairly wrong?
To be honest the Altima is an ungainly sack of crap, and the current Pulsar is an uninspiring drive - Nissan is in nowhereland with passenger cars at the moment - styling that is anonymous but at the same time ugly, bad engineering choices (CVT in a performance car?), and a lack of visibility to the car range from where I sit.

Whereas Kia's styling is getting very interesting since Peter Schreyer joined. I've also driven a couple of cars that were not base trolleys, and they are good cars outright, but exceptional value for money.

Hyundai has some very nice technology coming along and Kia has it too. the little turbo 1.6 with 265nm is outstanding for $30k. Hyundai is launching its "N" performance brand with what would seem to be a pretty brutal Golf GTI rival which will apparently have a 2L engine pumping 200kw, and you'd bet Kia will have a version of it. They do also have the Genesis twin turbo V6 elsewhere in the world.

There's no doubt Kia have the funds to do it, and the desire to market themselves and improve the public perception of their cars. In the negative side, they have spent an awful lot of money on Tennis.

No powder room here, but imagine if Hyundai and Kia homologated an engine that is common, did their own bodywork with common parts underneath, and had a 4 car team, or two separate teams!
Old 29 Nov 2016, 09:04 (Ref:3691992)   #31
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Hyundai and Kia are owned by the same company.
Same same for GM, Ford and Lincoln etc, VW etc , they build for different markets and demographics, Toyota , Honda all the same .

One side aims for the young city dwellers, one side aims for family's in the suburbs, SUV's etc

Good business practice
Old 29 Nov 2016, 09:18 (Ref:3691996)   #32
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
The punters on the hill won't have a choice, they'll have to like it or leave it
Unlike 1997 of course.

Interesting to wonder what the lie of the land would have been like nowadays if the "V8 Bathurst" hadn't have been established a few weeks later in 1997, and just the original race for Super Tourers held...
Old 29 Nov 2016, 09:37 (Ref:3692001)   #33
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
Unlike 1997 of course.

Interesting to wonder what the lie of the land would have been like nowadays if the "V8 Bathurst" hadn't have been established a few weeks later in 1997, and just the original race for Super Tourers held...
Indeed.

I've also wondered if ST would've seen greater sustainability if they hadn't taken up the ARDC's offer.

Many catagories in Australian motorsport are hinged around a Bathurst event of some sort. Hard to imagine what the domestic scene would be like without the place.
Old 29 Nov 2016, 13:25 (Ref:3692069)   #34
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco View Post
Same same for GM, Ford and Lincoln etc, VW etc , they build for different markets and demographics, Toyota , Honda all the same .

One side aims for the young city dwellers, one side aims for family's in the suburbs, SUV's etc

Good business practice
No, as in Hyundai and Kia are owned by the same company like Chevrolet and Holden are GM. You wouldn't see both as factory teams or represented by both manufactures. It would be either or, not both.
Old 29 Nov 2016, 22:46 (Ref:3692232)   #35
A-A
Rookie

A-A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about this New Kia GT via wheelsmag.com.au https://www.wheelsmag.com.au/news/16...-global-reveal

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 30 Nov 2016, 01:28 (Ref:3692252)   #36
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
To be honest the Altima is an ungainly sack of crap, and the current Pulsar is an uninspiring drive - Nissan is in nowhereland with passenger cars at the moment - styling that is anonymous but at the same time ugly, bad engineering choices (CVT in a performance car?), and a lack of visibility to the car range from where I sit.

Whereas Kia's styling is getting very interesting since Peter Schreyer joined. I've also driven a couple of cars that were not base trolleys, and they are good cars outright, but exceptional value for money.

Hyundai has some very nice technology coming along and Kia has it too. the little turbo 1.6 with 265nm is outstanding for $30k. Hyundai is launching its "N" performance brand with what would seem to be a pretty brutal Golf GTI rival which will apparently have a 2L engine pumping 200kw, and you'd bet Kia will have a version of it. They do also have the Genesis twin turbo V6 elsewhere in the world.

There's no doubt Kia have the funds to do it, and the desire to market themselves and improve the public perception of their cars. In the negative side, they have spent an awful lot of money on Tennis.
Agree with every bit of that, not only are Kia producing some decent looking vehicles, their 7 year warranty and fixed price servicing is remarkable value. But reading through the original article, I would suggest the chances of Kia entering V8s is marginal at best, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong.
Old 30 Nov 2016, 01:53 (Ref:3692255)   #37
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Kia Sponsors Australian Tennis Open Til 2018

If you think about the timing of this, the Aus Open tennis concludes at the end of January 2018.. and Supercar may commence in March 2018 in Adelaide...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 30 Nov 2016, 02:23 (Ref:3692261)   #38
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
If you think about the timing of this, the Aus Open tennis concludes at the end of January 2018.. and Supercar may commence in March 2018 in Adelaide...
Hmm, you'd ask the question of when the marketing budgets are divvied up, but it is absolute proof they have the cash if they decide to do it... That is real money.
Old 2 Dec 2016, 13:02 (Ref:3692968)   #39
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
It's really helped moving all those Altimas I see out on the road.
Don't see a whole lot of Audi R18s or Mercedes F1 W07 Hybrids out on the road either. But people do buy other types of Audi, Merc or Nissan so the manufacturers presumably find the racing platform favourable. Or in the case of Nissan, don't.
Old 2 Dec 2016, 22:31 (Ref:3693209)   #40
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
I'd suggest to you that Mercedes and Audi gain as much through technology development as well as worldwide brand leverage in those two categories, so your point isn't very well made when you compare it to Kia entering a domestic Touring Car series in a smallish market when compared globally.
Old 3 Dec 2016, 18:12 (Ref:3693363)   #41
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
99% of racing is advertisement for the brand as a whole, not for the specific model. Yes, they can try to push a specific model with the car they're racing, but it's more aligned for everything in their lineup.

For example, you've got a Holden supporter who's out looking for their first new car, and while a Commodore might be out of their budget, they'll still go down to the Holden dealer and pick up say, a Cruze, Astra, or Spark because they support the brand.
Old 4 Dec 2016, 01:03 (Ref:3693436)   #42
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
99% of racing is advertisement for the brand as a whole, not for the specific model. Yes, they can try to push a specific model with the car they're racing, but it's more aligned for everything in their lineup.

For example, you've got a Holden supporter who's out looking for their first new car, and while a Commodore might be out of their budget, they'll still go down to the Holden dealer and pick up say, a Cruze, Astra, or Spark because they support the brand.
Hasn't the point of saloon/touring car racing always been about promoting the model primarily?

People *****ed about Sierra's because you couldn't buy one here.... but judging by the comments above that shouldn't have mattered, as the "Ford brand" was getting promoted?
Old 4 Dec 2016, 02:48 (Ref:3693457)   #43
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Depends on the marketing department.

Some want to increase brand awareness as a whole, while others want to focus on a model. I don't think Ford Australia had a whole lot to do with the Sierra.
Old 4 Dec 2016, 07:58 (Ref:3693494)   #44
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Hasn't the point of saloon/touring car racing always been about promoting the model primarily?

People *****ed about Sierra's because you couldn't buy one here.... but judging by the comments above that shouldn't have mattered, as the "Ford brand" was getting promoted?
It's a good point but it may have also been the time. At the time there was only Ford vs Holden and if I remember correctly at the time those cars were leading the sales for each marque. Mind you Australian fans have always cheered V8s and bought 6 cylinder versions of those cars.

I get the feeling with the huge number of marques and models available in Australia the fan base has moved on from the pure Ford vs Holden tribalism and now follow teams and drivers more than brands.
Old 4 Dec 2016, 15:59 (Ref:3693588)   #45
RedZedMikey
Racer

Australia
Victoria, Australia
RedZedMikey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Were the people whingeing about the Sierras Ford fans complaining that you couldn't buy one here, and they wanted to - or Holden/other fans complaining that the Sierra shouldn't be in the ATCC because it wasn't sold locally?

I thought it was the latter. And during the Mustang/Sierra Group A era, there was no V8 Falcon available for a significant period of time, rendering that option impossible.
Old 5 Dec 2016, 14:42 (Ref:3693899)   #46
Mixer
Veteran

Kia GT without camo:
http://jalopnik.com/the-2017-kia-gt-...get-1789602108

Real nice looking bit of kit - could easily see that racing against the current cars.

Twin turbo 3.3l V6 might get some interest too...
Old 5 Dec 2016, 20:50 (Ref:3693983)   #47
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Kia GT without camo:
http://jalopnik.com/the-2017-kia-gt-...get-1789602108

Real nice looking bit of kit - could easily see that racing against the current cars.

Twin turbo 3.3l V6 might get some interest too...
I like that,nice Rig.

I also like that hyundai and kia are being discussed in same sentence with BMW and Audi

The cheap koreans have come a long way
Old 6 Dec 2016, 01:50 (Ref:3694037)   #48
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
I like that,nice Rig.

I also like that hyundai and kia are being discussed in same sentence with BMW and Audi

The cheap koreans have come a long way
Yup. They learnt the most valuable lesson - people don't want cheap, they want value. And looks.
Old 6 Dec 2016, 01:56 (Ref:3694038)   #49
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABWOA View Post
Yup. They learnt the most valuable lesson - people don't want cheap, they want value. And looks.
Actually... Globalisation has taught us that cheap can get you started but you need to invest in technology and styling if you want to move up in the world, and be ready when the next cheap labour market joins the fray.

Hyundai made old Mitsubishis under license, and they were cheap, so plenty of people bought them. Kia got their current start making the Ford Festiva.

Plenty of people like cheap and it is a profitable way to get off the ground.
Old 8 Dec 2016, 05:47 (Ref:3694676)   #50
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
AA this week suggests that both WP & prodrive have approached Kia for discussions, however only one of these two were engaged in discussions..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House