Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 17 Feb 2012, 19:17 (Ref:3027232)   #226
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
he's been running the renaultf1/lotus/whatevertheyare demo f1 car at the wsr events at least once a year for a couple of years now. last year at ricard it was alongside his old man in the car he won there in 20 years (or so) previously.

frankly, there are many many more talents who deserve the right to be close to a f1 team.
Old 17 Feb 2012, 19:59 (Ref:3027260)   #227
ASRoma
Rookie

ASRoma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm pretty sur he also ran in the young driver days in secret.

He is pretty good, and he is doing very well in lmp1. I would definitely rate him higher than D'Ambrosio for example. In the LMP1 he has been quicker than guys like Fässler, Jani, Boullion...

He has had a weird career as he studied before racing, but in my opinion he is very underrated.

Gravity has been completely remanaged and the 4 young drivers they have and with grosjean+prost as older drivers, I think the recruiting over the last 2 years has been pretty strong
Old 17 Feb 2012, 20:01 (Ref:3027263)   #228
ASRoma
Rookie

My point is that they are indeed many many good drivers that deserve a chance, and that Prost Jr has roved that he deserves his chance.
Old 17 Feb 2012, 20:49 (Ref:3027289)   #229
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
wait he's 30? well he SHOULD be good by the age of 30, frankly. particularly with the amount and variety of racing he's got behind him now..
Old 17 Feb 2012, 21:41 (Ref:3027311)   #230
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
i'm just trolling now. off season boredom ftw.

but seriously, back to fr3.5. i suppose a "who's earnt the right to be a f1 driver" thread would be pages and pages long. it'd be easier and more peaceful to say who *doesn't* deserve a f1 drive
Old 17 Feb 2012, 21:45 (Ref:3027316)   #231
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASRoma View Post
I'm pretty sur he also ran in the young driver days in secret.

He is pretty good, and he is doing very well in lmp1. I would definitely rate him higher than D'Ambrosio for example. In the LMP1 he has been quicker than guys like Fässler, Jani, Boullion...
I seriously doubt Nicolas would outpace any of those guys over a proper single seater campaign.

Jani is a massive lost talent, and Jerome has already proved his worth in both GP2 and F1.

I appreciate you fullsome support of him though.
Old 18 Feb 2012, 08:00 (Ref:3027464)   #232
ASRoma
Rookie

As it was said before this is not the topic of this thread.

I just wanted to explain the gravity situation as what was said before was uncorrect.

Anyone who has seen Prost run in the lmp1 knows that he deserves an evaluation. I agree with you Jani is a massive lost talent, but I have no doubt Prost is better than D'Ambrosio.

Change of subject. Does anyone know what Draco will do with their second driver?

It was the place to go at the end o 09 but does not seem so fancy anymore
Old 18 Feb 2012, 11:22 (Ref:3027526)   #233
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
perhaps in part to the fact the drivers they've had have either lost their own way or not been quite good enough to beat everyone else? i mean, berthon was the last really strong talent, and he seemed to only be competitive when he was uber-motivated.

i guess it remains to be seen how their new daddy-investor feels about signing someone who could own his son comprehensively in every race. you've got to wonder how the departure of the morinis over the past few years will affect them.

i'm also interested to see what isr do. you get the feeling their true potential didn't show last year much of the time.
Old 18 Feb 2012, 12:19 (Ref:3027553)   #234
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess ISR flourished with the two superstar drivers they've had recently: Guerrieri (particularly) and Ricciardo.

I wonder if Salaquarda will make it back to ISR now Superleague has folded
Old 20 Feb 2012, 14:52 (Ref:3028391)   #235
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
nick yelloly at comtec too, so we're down to 6 seats left?
Old 20 Feb 2012, 22:06 (Ref:3028599)   #236
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Good glad Nick's back. Really hope he can follow through on the immense promise he showed last year.

Will the team stifle that though?
Old 20 Feb 2012, 22:26 (Ref:3028616)   #237
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Cammish View Post
I wish I had been more succesful and my son would now be in 3.5 Litre, good luck to those that were, I just wish the drivers didnt say daft things
Peter, you shouldn't be thinking like that. There is more to life than motorsport and the fact that you have supported your son to the best of your ability will be rewarded.

I'm sure he will do well, forget the rich dads / poor dads scenario, give me a dad that actually cares and gives a s**t any day.
Old 21 Feb 2012, 06:56 (Ref:3028712)   #238
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Alex K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
@bella I believe I was wrong on Martsenko (BVM Target). Aleshin is back again, this time with KMP, and that's a good line up of him and Nebylitskiy.
Old 21 Feb 2012, 09:24 (Ref:3028757)   #239
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
i think nebylitskiy is a lost cause and a waste of a seat. one of not too many on the grid this year so far. not entirely convinced about aleshin returning either, presumably he's bringing a sum total of naff all for a budget otherwise it's a waste of his reputation of 2010 champion surely?
Old 21 Feb 2012, 10:59 (Ref:3028804)   #240
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about Canamasas? What's he doing? He was somewhat of a surprise last year.
Old 21 Feb 2012, 12:44 (Ref:3028860)   #241
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
i think nebylitskiy is a lost cause and a waste of a seat. one of not too many on the grid this year so far. not entirely convinced about aleshin returning either, presumably he's bringing a sum total of naff all for a budget otherwise it's a waste of his reputation of 2010 champion surely?
Agreed, two seats that could've been used more wisely.

If seats are starting to be 'given' to a driver for his experience rather than his money (if that is the case with Aleshin) i'd put someone like Van der Drift or in there straight away.
Old 21 Feb 2012, 12:54 (Ref:3028872)   #242
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
the problem with the daddy's son teams is that without their presence the series loses what, 4 teams and 4 fully funded regular drivers immediately. their presence reduces the market of available seats and as such means that there's less likely to be cut price fill-the-seat-at-all-costs gp3 style drives around. all round in a very indirect way it keeps the series afloat and the reputation intact, particularly since none of the sons-of are woefully slow. just not very good

that said, a returning champion is great news for the competitiveness of the series - it's easy to spin from a pr point of view and you can argue it makes sure everyone brings their a-game in a similar way to having current and past world champions in f1 does, albeit on a smaller scale. after all, aleshin beat ricciardo. and going by racing driver (and dad) logic, if you can beat the man that beat ricciardo, you must be a god, right?

(however, on the aleshin front, the fact that he wasn't on it straight away in hungary last year did really demonstrate for me the importance of the engineer/driver thing in fr3.5 - as per alex's point about a driver coughing up to bring his own)
Old 21 Feb 2012, 12:57 (Ref:3028874)   #243
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
after all, aleshin beat ricciardo. and going by racing driver (and dad) logic, if you can beat the man that beat ricciardo, you must be a god, right?

(however, on the aleshin front, the fact that he wasn't on it straight away in hungary last year did really demonstrate for me the importance of the engineer/driver thing in fr3.5 - as per alex's point about a driver coughing up to bring his own)
Yes i've always wondered how he managed to pull off that 2010 title.
Old 21 Feb 2012, 13:04 (Ref:3028880)   #244
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
he drove a very competitive season and some races he was quite clearly the best car/driver/team combo out there. his barcelona races were a good example - he did exactly what he needed to and kept ricciardo at bay. but imo if guerrieri hadn't had that motorland fail and missed hungary because of the whole cracked tub drama then he'd have been champion.

aleshin certainly wasn't an undeserving champion, but perhaps not the one you'd have expected to come out of that season! for me wickens was the same in 2011 - call me a fangirl but i really thought vergne was going to take it. but wickens produced the goods when required, and that's what a champion does.
Old 21 Feb 2012, 14:21 (Ref:3028915)   #245
WSR Fan
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
WSR Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
i'm also interested to see what isr do. you get the feeling their true potential didn't show last year much of the time.
Well until recently you'd have said Stoneman and Vanthoor were likely, but it's looking more and more that Dean is heading over to the US and I've just read that Vanthoor is switching to GT's with Audi.

Apart from those two, ISR tested Frijns, Yelloly, Alex Fontana and Fabio Gamberini last winter. The first two have already got FR3.5 seats and the other two seem to be leaning more towards F2/GP3. As p-matt pointed out, Salaquarda could well be an option for them, and if Berthon doesn't get a GP2 seat I could potentially see him staying with them too.
Old 21 Feb 2012, 14:41 (Ref:3028932)   #246
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

It's good for Dean to follow whatever path gives him them best option to be able to race competitively for whatever budget he can afford, but it will be a real shame that he doesn't do FR3.5, he would've been a real asset to the series and another front running driver i'm sure.
Old 22 Feb 2012, 01:22 (Ref:3029224)   #247
kerrmanningjarv
Veteran

England
London
kerrmanningjarv should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I didn't watch much GP2 last year, only really read reports/looked at results - what do people reckon the reason(s) were for Aleshin making practically no impression at all? I know he didn't do very many rounds due to budget etc. but he was with a team that he'd known for years, and I don't think a GP2 car is much of a step-up from a FR3.5 car so I was surprised at how anonymous his results were in the races he did do.
Old 22 Feb 2012, 06:28 (Ref:3029278)   #248
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Alex K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
No money, no honey. I read interviews with insiders who say that in order to make an impression and get results in GP2 you have to do at least couple of years in GP2, It's because a GP2 car bacame hard in understanding and tough and set up correctly for a newbie. Apparently its opposite to first generation of GP2 cars which were driver/engineer friendly. It may be one of the reasons for lack of results of Aleshin. But, I believe the main factor was lack of sufficient backing behind him. He knew he wasn't going to last long.
Old 22 Feb 2012, 11:02 (Ref:3029363)   #249
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
therein lies another problem with gp2. winning the fr3.5 title might not get you far in terms of being snapped up by f1 teams, but at least you can have a fair stab at it in one year. particularly recently where the top 10 has been really quite competitive.

i'm not entirely sure what's in it for aleshin apart from using the moscow round to try and raise some serious cash to buy into f1 in time for the russian gp. in terms of long term success at this point surely he'd have been better off trying to establish his name in sportscars?

albert costa signed with oregon in the megane trophy last night which is just the perfect combination if ever there was one. it's sad in a way to see a really good young talent in the meganes, but if anyone can use it to their advantage it's costa.
Old 24 Feb 2012, 11:26 (Ref:3030324)   #250
cappra250
Rookie

cappra250 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bird and Rosenzweig to ISR