Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Closed Thread

Old 3 Nov 2009, 09:16 (Ref:2574757)   #276
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Reid is well known but if he had sponsership would have been back years ago, even drivers like James Thompson and Giovanardi have little sponsership to secure a drive, they rely on being paid by the team or a free ride.

Our of the 9 races Reid did he was below par, I like Anthony and cheered him on in the MG days but I saw none of that spark this time.
Old 3 Nov 2009, 21:10 (Ref:2575169)   #277
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Gio testing for Aon would increase the chance of them having factory backing, especially as Aon now have their eyes elsewhere for the really big investment.

I'd love to see the likes of Glew and Freke stepping up. Fingers crossed that RML will be back.
Old 12 Nov 2009, 12:20 (Ref:2580725)   #278
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Autosport are reporting that the BTCC regs are to be modified to reduce the startline advantage, by running a spec, taller first gear. Interesting idea, better than a rolling start to my mind. Unsurprisingly, BMW teams not happy while Steve Neal reckons it's "too little too late"....
Old 12 Nov 2009, 13:13 (Ref:2580754)   #279
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm disappointed at this. Following on from the fwd only NGT rules, it really feels like Alan Gow's doing his best to rid the championship of BMWs. RWD and FWD have different characteristics, with advantages and disadvantages. RWD has an advantage off the line, but has a clear disadvantage in the wet and when tapped on the inside rear corner. The difference in characteristics between formats, makes, models etc... is the beauty of touring car racing and why we enjoy it so much.
Old 12 Nov 2009, 13:44 (Ref:2580776)   #280
Jon411
Racer

Guernsey
Jon411 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As far as Steve Neal is concerned even if every car that was not run by Team Dynamics could only race with 3 wheels it still wouldn't be enough - he'd want them to only be allowed 1 wheel.

I agree with Davyboy, I think its a shame.
Old 12 Nov 2009, 14:16 (Ref:2580790)   #281
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
I'm disappointed at this. Following on from the fwd only NGT rules, it really feels like Alan Gow's doing his best to rid the championship of BMWs. RWD and FWD have different characteristics, with advantages and disadvantages. RWD has an advantage off the line, but has a clear disadvantage in the wet and when tapped on the inside rear corner. The difference in characteristics between formats, makes, models etc... is the beauty of touring car racing and why we enjoy it so much.
OTOH: Could this be a test to equalize RWD and FWD with the specific goal of allowing it in NGTC?
Old 12 Nov 2009, 18:13 (Ref:2580922)   #282
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would Gow just be happy if we had a single make series with no chances for advantages and weaknesses to be found?

Don't get me wrong, I think Gow has done wonders for the BTCC. But lately I've been left wondering what planet he's on. i mean, RWD, it's another factor to the racing. Off the start the RWDs are better, but they struggle to get heat into their tyres, so FWD is stronger. Then RWD gets temperature up and FWD tyres start to go off. It's more magic for the BTCC. So why ban it with this in mind?

Oh well, I suppose that since F1 has banned KERS, BTCC needs to respond and ban RWD! Or at least make them really uncompetitive.
Old 12 Nov 2009, 20:29 (Ref:2581005)   #283
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I guess all the moaning Jason Plato did then paid off.
Old 12 Nov 2009, 20:30 (Ref:2581006)   #284
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Maybe the longer 1st will come in handy at places like the Croft hairpin, possibly hairpin at Knockhill too??

I assume it is not possible to limit revs by means of the ECU for the start of a race, or am I missing some big technical issue that would cause?
Old 12 Nov 2009, 22:17 (Ref:2581072)   #285
Aunt Sally
Veteran

Aunt Sally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I guess all the moaning Jason Plato did then paid off.
I think you will find it was Whinger Steve Neal!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregc View Post
Steve Neal reckons it's "too little too late"....
"Too Little Too Late"? After Dynamics dominating the championship for so long??

As soon as BMW win a championship out come the tears and his mate Alan Gow has to comfort him!
Old 12 Nov 2009, 22:27 (Ref:2581081)   #286
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Dynamics used a car that wasn't even on sale in the UK when they won the titles, IIRC the rules were changed to exclude that happening again.
Old 13 Nov 2009, 09:39 (Ref:2581267)   #287
Thorney
Racer

Thorney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Longer first gear will prove expensive for the season.
Old 13 Nov 2009, 10:50 (Ref:2581295)   #288
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorney View Post
Longer first gear will prove expensive for the season.
Yep it will... whoever makes the clutches for the bimmers [AP/Sachs ?] will be rubbing their hands with glee.
Old 15 Nov 2009, 21:32 (Ref:2582462)   #289
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesy-18 View Post

Oh well, I suppose that since F1 has banned KERS, BTCC needs to respond and ban RWD! Or at least make them really uncompetitive.
F1 hasn't banned KERS. The teams have voluntarily agreed not to use it for the 2010 season.
Old 16 Nov 2009, 17:17 (Ref:2582960)   #290
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Forster Motorsport have their first BMW on track now:

http://www.crash.net/btcc/news/15468...w_testing.html

It says that its one of Mat Jackson's, so presumably they are buying the second car from them too?
Old 16 Nov 2009, 18:28 (Ref:2583013)   #291
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
I'm assuming they wait till they have all the funding in place before they buy two cars.
Old 17 Nov 2009, 09:03 (Ref:2583377)   #292
d.rocky
Racer

England
Lola country.
d.rocky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RWD's will still get the edge off the line in the wet?
will the longer first gear create a much bigger cost compared to before?
i wouldnt want the btcc to adopt rolling starts to please everyone.
Old 17 Nov 2009, 09:26 (Ref:2583388)   #293
davyboy
Veteran

Liam McMillan's Toledos are up for sale. A real pity they never managed to recover from that engine debacle earlier this year to get back out again. By the sounds of the ad, they appear to be reverting to the Eurocopa... an understandable option given the costs etc... of the BTCC but I would have loved to have seen Liam get the chance at the top flight in a half decent car. I think he would have sprung some surprises.

Liam McMillan's Toledos
Old 17 Nov 2009, 09:29 (Ref:2583391)   #294
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.rocky View Post
RWD's will still get the edge off the line in the wet?
will the longer first gear create a much bigger cost compared to before?
i wouldnt want the btcc to adopt rolling starts to please everyone.
In terms of your first question, it very much depends on how long the gear is. If its 'equal' in the dry, then in the wet, RWD will have an advantage. The long first gear will necessitate far more clutch slipping/riding to optimize the start. This will lunch the clutches faster and increase the costs.

I'd quite like rolling starts to be honest... well as a karter what else would you expect me to say.
Old 17 Nov 2009, 15:45 (Ref:2583575)   #295
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
Liam McMillan's Toledos are up for sale. A real pity they never managed to recover from that engine debacle earlier this year to get back out again. By the sounds of the ad, they appear to be reverting to the Eurocopa... an understandable option given the costs etc... of the BTCC but I would have loved to have seen Liam get the chance at the top flight in a half decent car. I think he would have sprung some surprises.

Liam McMillan's Toledos
Thats a massive shame, price for the cars is too high IMO and the hassle he has had with parts and engine re-builds do not help the cause in finding a buyer, I do wish him well tho.
Old 17 Nov 2009, 15:54 (Ref:2583579)   #296
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
From Liam's own website

'It looks more than likely that Liam will return back to either the Spanish Supercopa or the SEAT Eurocup for 2010....'

In addition to Maxtreme getting the contract to build 20 Chevrolet Cruze Cup cars, it looks like the BTCC journey is at an end.
Old 17 Nov 2009, 16:47 (Ref:2583608)   #297
Paul Mac
Rookie

Paul Mac should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The BTCC journey has been delayed!
We have decided to give it a miss next year due to the changes in engines and cars best we sit it out till its sorted we do not have the money available to be the BTCC ginepigs so will leave it to the blessed ones.
Tough decision but will look to go back to Eurocup or Supercopa in Spain get paid to go and can win some cash!!
Icebaby so you think the price is to high? compared to what?give me a ring sure to sort you a deal out,but as it said open to offers.

We will be back Liam is only 19 there is a long way to go and with working with Chevrolet over the next twelve months who knows what doors that may open!
Old 17 Nov 2009, 16:59 (Ref:2583611)   #298
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Paul, glad to hear that you hope to be back in the BTCC one day...

Hadn't meant to assume the worst or criticise, apolgies if it came across that way.

The news item on Liam's website does read (in my mind at least) as if the BTCC days were over.

Whatever happens, all the very best for your efforts, I wish you all success, and hope to see you back with an NGTC winner soon.
Old 17 Nov 2009, 17:18 (Ref:2583619)   #299
Paul Mac
Rookie

Paul Mac should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No problem mate. Sadly Liam does not rate the BTCC and i have to agree to some of his reasons but not all but thats another story.
Old 17 Nov 2009, 17:22 (Ref:2583625)   #300
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
would say that 90k for 2 cars both fully rebuilt and a truckload of spares is good value for a squad looking to join the btcc. going by the listing there is enough spares there to keep both cars going for a season. compared to what is on the market atm it will put you well in the midfield. also there isnt exactly a lot of btcc cars lying around, WSR have a MG ZS, techspeed/arkas have astra sport hatches and there is probably astra coupe's lying around, most of these cars need overhaul. Liams are ready to race.

sorry paul i am skint and just hoping to have budget to marshal in 2010