Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 14 Feb 2012, 18:50 (Ref:3025840)   #26
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, but posts 2 and 6 of this thread also talk about the extension of the run off at druids, which I assumed is what the poster was asking about.

Mark - its one of the paralympic events and for a motorsport connection Alex Zinardi is due to be competing.
Old 14 Feb 2012, 20:00 (Ref:3025868)   #27
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
ascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mark it is the one of the disciplines in the Paralympic Road Cycling which will be held at Brands and the surrounding roads in September.

As far as the Graham Hill bend alterations are concerned the main reason that the work wasn't done was because planning permissions hadn't been granted by Sevenoaks District Council which has not yet been approved. I do see on the application a letter from English Heritage saying that they are considering an application for Listed Status for Brands Hatch
Old 14 Feb 2012, 20:31 (Ref:3025886)   #28
Matthews Dad
Veteran

England
Northwich
Matthews Dad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Moran View Post

Styles are going in at Oulton too,

i thought we all had style already, i mean we all turn up looking ike Tango man ( and other colours)

I hope Justin means Stiles to help us over the fences
Old 14 Feb 2012, 21:33 (Ref:3025909)   #29
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthews Dad View Post
i thought we all had style already, i mean we all turn up looking ike Tango man ( and other colours)

I hope Justin means Stiles to help us over the fences
Styles, stiles, potato, potato. Who cares? Is still not a gate is it?
Old 14 Feb 2012, 21:56 (Ref:3025914)   #30
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Justin, hope you get to be in charge of a post I'm on this year! Still not worked together since you got signed off as a trainee.
Old 15 Feb 2012, 10:43 (Ref:3026080)   #31
Ian Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford
Ian Lewis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell View Post
Justin, hope you get to be in charge of a post I'm on this year! Still not worked together since you got signed off as a trainee.
Best not be with Justin or Paul Bosman or you may be in for your first award
Old 15 Feb 2012, 10:57 (Ref:3026086)   #32
kimbo
Rookie

England
West Sussex
kimbo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarmarshal View Post
I do see on the application a letter from English Heritage saying that they are considering an application for Listed Status for Brands Hatch
Its a shame that this mob didn't put their heads above the parapet when Brooklands was demol............sorry redeveloped.
As much as I dont like the look of the 'new' Graham Hill bend, I dont see how any track could continue to function under a listed status - what about safety improvements and / or new MSA requirements?
Last one out turn off the lights!!
Kim
Old 15 Feb 2012, 17:08 (Ref:3026218)   #33
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Justin, hope you get to be in charge of a post I'm on this year!
That'll be confusing for the rest of the team because you two look very similar.
Old 15 Feb 2012, 17:13 (Ref:3026223)   #34
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayBee View Post
That'll be confusing for the rest of the team because you two look very similar.
Im much younger!!!
Old 15 Feb 2012, 18:13 (Ref:3026245)   #35
Gas bag
Rookie

England
San Miguel De Abona
Gas bag should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelly 1 View Post
The spectator crossing point at Oulton park has been moved from Lodge to the pit straight. The spectator area on the outside of the deer leap has had a lot of the hill removed and some trees removed.
Er, so isn't that where the old 'eagle star' bridge used to be twenty five years ago??

They should have moved the marshals box at 'Knicker In' as its 100yds upstream of where it should be!!!
Can't see any contact as they are 100yds passed you and any straight on's at the Knickerbrook chicane and you can't get the numbers

Last edited by Gas bag; 15 Feb 2012 at 18:19.
Old 15 Feb 2012, 18:16 (Ref:3026247)   #36
Gas bag
Rookie

England
San Miguel De Abona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Moran View Post
Styles are going in at Oulton too, to assist us to get over fences to post. Better than ripping your overalls/waterproofs on the fence as you climbed through/over it I suppose.
About time, poor old Dave Brand's legs don't work anymore,it'll be easier for the 'Old uns' now
Old 15 Feb 2012, 19:38 (Ref:3026288)   #37
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas bag View Post
About time, poor old Dave Brand's legs don't work anymore,it'll be easier for the 'Old uns' now
Old 18 Feb 2012, 15:40 (Ref:3027620)   #38
GoGoGadget
Rookie

United Kingdom
At Home !
GoGoGadget should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANGRUMPY View Post
Gurston Down

Marshals suite will have a patio laid before the season starts.
Does that include the one at Karousel for the rescue crew and should we bring the patio set, parasol and sun loungers for test day

Max
Old 18 Feb 2012, 17:32 (Ref:3027657)   #39
Gordon Knight
Racer

England
Monton, Eccles, Manchester
Gordon Knight should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Er, so isn't that where the old 'eagle star' bridge used to be twenty five years ago??

They should have moved the marshals box at 'Knicker In' as its 100yds upstream of where it should be!!!
Can't see any contact as they are 100yds passed you and any straight on's at the Knickerbrook chicane and you can't get the numbers
This is a fair comment but Oulton Park cannot move the marshal's post because its position was decided by the MSA not OP., and it is designated on the circuit licence.

If enough Post Chief's raise the issue with our circuit rep Ray Sumner it could be
referred back to the MSA by OP.
Regards
Gordon
Old 19 Feb 2012, 14:27 (Ref:3027963)   #40
Gas bag
Rookie

England
San Miguel De Abona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Knight View Post
This is a fair comment but Oulton Park cannot move the marshal's post because its position was decided by the MSA not OP., and it is designated on the circuit licence.

If enough Post Chief's raise the issue with our circuit rep Ray Sumner it could be
referred back to the MSA by OP.
Regards
Gordon
Will do Gordon,never spoken to a P/C yet who thinks it was moved to the correct position,and its in the firing line if you use Fosters circuit,you only need to remember the BMW last year on Fosters that nearly cleared the barrier at that location. Thanks
Old 19 Feb 2012, 19:20 (Ref:3028043)   #41
Matthews Dad
Veteran

England
Northwich
Matthews Dad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Will do Gordon,never spoken to a P/C yet who thinks it was moved to the correct position,and its in the firing line if you use Fosters circuit,you only need to remember the BMW last year on Fosters that nearly cleared the barrier at that location. Thanks
This is a point that the Fosters box is in the right place, as it wasn't in the line of fire of the BMW's

I was in the Box as IO and watched the two coming down the hill with the feeling that it wasnt going to end well, but felt quite safe in the box, as it was the "Knickerbrook in" flag point that they assulted with full speed and nearly got through the Armco,

From a personal point of view it is when the other circuits are in use that the box is to far up hill towards Hill top
Old 22 Feb 2012, 13:42 (Ref:3029426)   #42
Gas bag
Rookie

England
San Miguel De Abona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthews Dad View Post
This is a point that the Fosters box is in the right place, as it wasn't in the line of fire of the BMW's

I was in the Box as IO and watched the two coming down the hill with the feeling that it wasnt going to end well, but felt quite safe in the box, as it was the "Knickerbrook in" flag point that they assulted with full speed and nearly got through the Armco,

From a personal point of view it is when the other circuits are in use that the box is to far up hill towards Hill top
Yes that's a fair point,i was on Knicker 'out' that day,however when it was approx 100yds downstream of its present location IMHO it wasn't in the firing line when it was Fosters circuit and it was in any more of a firing line where it was when we were on full circuit.
We tend to use full circuit more nowadays and if you have been in the box and there are perhaps multiple contacts coming in to the chicane they usually happen passed you and it's very hard to get numbers etc (unless of course they stop!!) and if they carry straight on at the chicane you have to rely on Knicker 'out' to call in numbers,it's just in the wrong spot IMHO.

Anyway,don't think we should debate as I'll get my legs smacked for discussing on this forum
Old 10 Jan 2016, 16:21 (Ref:3603502)   #43
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
*BUMP*
Any improvements or changes to our circuits for 2016?
Old 13 Jan 2016, 14:44 (Ref:3604384)   #44
Gordon Knight
Racer

England
Monton, Eccles, Manchester
Gordon Knight should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
*BUMP*
Any improvements or changes to our circuits for 2016?
Hi Mark...quite a bit of change at Oulton Park. The "spine " between Shell and Fulstons is no more. All the earth banking and truck tyres are going, to be replaced by armco.
Gravel traps at Island Bend are being extended to slow the cars before they get to
the new armco.
Not sure yet what the set up will be for marshals at Island/Fulstons
and Island out flags. I will find out more when I return to mid week duty at the end of this month.
Given that most of the time lost from incidents in this part of the circuit
has been due to tyre wall rebuilds, these changes should be good news for the organising clubs.
Regards
Gordon
Old 13 Jan 2016, 17:49 (Ref:3604437)   #45
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Knight View Post
Hi Mark...quite a bit of change at Oulton Park. The "spine " between Shell and Fulstons is no more. All the earth banking and truck tyres are going, to be replaced by armco.
Gravel traps at Island Bend are being extended to slow the cars before they get to
the new armco.
Not sure yet what the set up will be for marshals at Island/Fulstons
and Island out flags. I will find out more when I return to mid week duty at the end of this month.
Given that most of the time lost from incidents in this part of the circuit
has been due to tyre wall rebuilds, these changes should be good news for the organising clubs.
Regards
Gordon
There's an aerial photo showing the changes on the MSV website.
I think it's probably the area that was most in need of improvement, and the drainage works too will be a big help (from experience of the colour of some riders after they'd fallen off!!) so definitively positive from my perspective.
I too will be interested to see what the set up is for marshals previously based on the spine, especially flag points - the aerial photo looks to have two sides up to a point which will mean access is still maintained but it's certainly not clear at the minute.
Old 14 Jan 2016, 16:16 (Ref:3604760)   #46
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asp View Post
There's an aerial photo showing the changes on the MSV website.
It'll be a lot easier to get to incidents through the gaps in the Armco than it was climbing off the tyre walls & back on again!

The wider run-off going into Shell will help immensely & better drainage should help eliminate the quagmire on the Island side, which will mean than a lot of the cars which would have got bogged down will now just be able to drive off.

The circuit guys have shifted a fair bit of muck (technical farmers' term!) over the winter!

Last edited by Dave Brand; 14 Jan 2016 at 16:21.
Old 15 Jan 2016, 13:03 (Ref:3605047)   #47
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
The circuit guys have shifted a fair bit of muck (technical farmers' term!) over the winter!
Where's Blaster Bates when you need him?
Old 15 Jan 2016, 15:23 (Ref:3605087)   #48
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Out of curiosity I was just wondering whether or not there are lap position boards at Oulton these days. I haven't been there for 10 years and being an MSV circuit I assume that the like other circuits, B/Hatch for instance where I have been a season ticket holder for years and Cadwell which I visited last year, the lap position boards have completely disappeared. It's been a bone of contention of mine for ages and I have taken it up with B/Hatch but I'm informed that it's too expensive to consider installing something up to date to inform the spectator of race positions. There is I understand an "app" should you be in possession of suitable mobile device but unfortunately my funding does not run to such luxuries!
Old 15 Jan 2016, 16:54 (Ref:3605112)   #49
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
Where's Blaster Bates when you need him?
On standby at Knickerbrook!
Old 16 Jan 2016, 10:19 (Ref:3605312)   #50
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Gordon, thanks for the update ����