Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 21 Sep 2015, 11:40 (Ref:3575684)   #1
bardy66
Rookie

England
Suffolk
bardy66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Traveling to the Daytona 500

I am thinking of going over to see the Daytona 500, I have looked at a few tour packages has anyone got any advise or tips?
Old 21 Sep 2015, 12:11 (Ref:3575694)   #2
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've been to Daytona once but it was for the 24 hour race. There should be options galore right now. Camping in the infield, making a beach trip outta it while hanging out for speed weeks etc.

Maybe some others here will have some better advice, but you may find better info in a more nascar / stockcar driven medium.

Good luck and have fun if it works out.
Old 25 Sep 2015, 22:59 (Ref:3577102)   #3
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well I've never traveled out of my country, but Daytona seems like a particularly easy trip to me. I've only been to the 24. Just book a flight, room of your choice (pay a little extra in Daytona, it will go a long way.) and a rental car. Buy seats as high as you can get and park as far away as you can walk. You can go to the beach, I've heard there are some nice ones south of Daytona.

If I'm totally honest, I am not a fan of Florida so my real advice would be to get out as quickly as possible.
Old 26 Sep 2015, 11:31 (Ref:3577164)   #4
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I found that staying one exit north of the Speedway exit
works out better than staying on the main drag where
the speedway is. I think its called Ormond Beach exit.
Plenty of places right at the exit. Gets you away from the
constant gridlock of the speedway.

Small rental car - good - easier to park. If possible ,
drive over to the speedway the day before you go and just
scout around and familiarize yourself with where the
parking lots are , how the streets are laid out , which lots
are closer to the highway ramps. I would try and park in a
lot close to Nascar Turn 1 and close to the street so to exit
in the right direction toward the highway and easy to get to
traffic lights. Avoid trying to navigate across several lanes
of traffic with out the the use of a traffic light or police direction.

The Daytona 500 is really a fabulous special experience.
It is the #1 race that all drivers want to win and you will
feel the excitement when you are there. The new remodel
will be an extra fun thing to see. Good luck !
Old 27 Sep 2015, 16:33 (Ref:3577485)   #5
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Get there real early because the traffic will be horrible, and hang out for a couple hours after the race because the traffic will be even worse when you leave.
Old 27 Sep 2015, 17:21 (Ref:3577501)   #6
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
BudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanky Turtle View Post
Get there real early because the traffic will be horrible, and hang out for a couple hours after the race because the traffic will be even worse when you leave.
This wasn't a problem during the Rolex24 when it was Grand-Am only. I was there in 2013 and never had any problems with the traffic, especially at the wee-wee hours.

Last edited by BudLightJaguar; 27 Sep 2015 at 17:28.
Old 27 Sep 2015, 18:53 (Ref:3577540)   #7
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudLightJaguar View Post
This wasn't a problem during the Rolex24 when it was Grand-Am only. I was there in 2013 and never had any problems with the traffic, especially at the wee-wee hours.
This is talking about the Daytona 500. Although I still get there early and leave late at the 24 just because I like to spend more time at the track.
Old 12 Oct 2015, 10:16 (Ref:3582111)   #8
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The parking lots are a couple of miles away from the circuit and shuttle buses are used to get to and from the track. The system works well. Horrendous traffic within 5/10 miles of Daytona on race morning so get there early - plenty of places around for breakfast. Traffic 'management' system in place after the race so a bit chaotic.