Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 6 Feb 2013, 02:59 (Ref:3199967)   #1
Nero
Racer

Nero should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Waldock EB Supercar

Was the Waldock EB the only V8 supercar to be made offshore in New Zealand? Does anyone have any insight as to why it was made offshore? It seems an odd thing to do. Obviously there may be some savings with currency changes, but there was travel and shipping to get it here.
Old 6 Feb 2013, 04:23 (Ref:3199979)   #2
Swedish Brick
Racer

Swedish Brick has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Wasn't there recently a V8 Saturday Sleuthing article on that car answering a few of those questions?

I guess it was made here becuase back then they were still modified road cars (well, started from a road car shell) unlike todays scratch built specialties.
As such it wouldn't have been that hard for a race builder to do one.
Old 6 Feb 2013, 04:38 (Ref:3199982)   #3
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
Bevan-L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Brick View Post
Wasn't there recently a V8 Saturday Sleuthing article on that car answering a few of those questions?

I guess it was made here becuase back then they were still modified road cars (well, started from a road car shell) unlike todays scratch built specialties.
As such it wouldn't have been that hard for a race builder to do one.
http://www.v8supercars.com.au/news/s...i-built-falcon

Quote:
TODAY’S Saturday Sleuthing story is the final one for 2012 and indeed the final one for the immediate future as the V8 Sleuth takes a well-deserved break over Christmas and the New Year period.

We’ve celebrated the end of the current five-litre/V8 Supercar technical regulations with the close of the 2012 V8 Supercars Championship, so it’s certainly appropriate to look back to the start of the era for this week’s column.

Back in 1993 there was a shortage of Ford teams in the grid. Beyond Glenn Seton’s Peter Jackson squad and Dick Johnson’s Shell team, privateer Falcon pilots were thin on the ground.

Many teams didn’t get themselves sorted until Bathurst with Allan Moffat’s Cenovis EB and Garry Willmington’s lime green privateer version finally appearing.

Another EB Falcon also appeared – Kevin Waldock’s Playscape Racing Falcon – but unlike it’s fellow Fords it was actually constructed overseas in New Zealand.

Now, we’ve tracked down the car to its current home in Melbourne and can bring you the story of one of the original cars of the five-litre/V8 Supercar era.

It was originally built ‘over the ditch’ under the direction of Barry Lock with Mark Jones and Craig Pullman working on the build in Auckland and Brett Bull flying backwards and forwards to oversee the construction of it.

It made its racing debut as the #28 Komatsu Falcon of Kevin Waldock and Brett Peters at the 1993 Sandown 500 and became the first privateer Falcon to hit the track under the new rules of the time.

Waldock was forced to have heart surgery in the lead up to Bathurst so former co-driver Mike Preston (who had been part of HRT’s line-up at Sandown) was drafted in to share it with Peters.

The car was updated to EB II spec for 1994 (with the addition of front winglets) and again driven by Waldock in a range of Australian Touring Car Championship events, including the non-title Gold Coast Indy events where he was shoved into the pit straight wall by Neil Crompton.

Preston co-drove with Waldock at Bathurst that year though the car crashed out early in the wet conditions before Waldock again drove it in 1995 prior to the debut of a new EF model – which we’ve previously featured here on Saturday Sleuthing.

Parts from this car were used to complete the build of the new EF, so this car sat around as a shell before it was purchased by John Briggs who built it back up and it appeared as a plain white #70 EF in the final round of the 1997 ATCC at Oran Park.

It was updated to EL specification for 1998 and Briggs ran it in Supercheap Auto livery, so therefore this car was Supercheap Auto’s first in V8 Supercar racing.

Briggs finished eighth in that year’s Privateers Cup after winning three of the Privateer’s Dashes during that season.

The car remained in Supercheap Auto colours in 1999 and was initially driven by Briggs again – including a run-in with Wayne Gardner at that year’s inaugural Sensational Adelaide 500 – before the team built a new AU model and this car reverted to becoming the #80 entry of Bob Thorn.

He ran at Bathurst with Todd Wanless as co-driver before crashing out early in the race and the car was placed up for sale in 2000 by John Briggs Motor Sport.

The car didn’t initially sell so Briggs’ team wheeled it back out for the Gold Coast Indy support event that year and it was used by John Bowe as the #600 CAT Falcon, thus protecting his regular AU to be prepared and ready for the Bathurst race.

It was eventually sold to Todd Wanless, who raced it in Sports Sedans to increase his V8 experience given he was driving an ex-Ambrose AU Falcon for Paul Cruickshank’s team in the development series.

After being sold to Rod Dawson the car then found its way into the hands of Victorian racer Keith Linnell, who retains the car in Melbourne and has been getting back into racing it lately after some quiet time.

“It’s in the Supercheap colours that it ran at Bathurst in 1999,” Linnell told our V8 Sleuth this week.

“I’ve had the car for about seven years now. I ran it a few times in the early days but I’m just sort of getting back into it a bit.

“I ran it in the mid to late 2000s in the Touring Car Challenge series that used to run as part of the AMRS with Super Tourers and V8s and touring cars all running together.

“It’s one of the first cars of the V8 era. It hasn’t been molestered and still has got all the original bits. It’s survived and it’s been kept original.”

Linnell says he intends to hang onto the car and is keen to run in the V8 Touring Car Heritage Event next October at Wakefield Park where a range of ex-V8 Supercars in their liveries of the day will appear.

He ran the car in this year’s Australian Hillclimb Championship at Bathurst, proving that you can take cars away from Mount Panorama over time – but they just keep on finding ways to get back to that magical piece of bitumen!
Old 6 Feb 2013, 09:35 (Ref:3200059)   #4
Nero
Racer

Thank you for the post. I had most of that information as well as some more in a slightly different area.
I'm curious as to whether the stone brothers had any involvement in ProAction, who are supposedly the NZ constructors of the EB. It seems to have followed GpC construction methodology (somewhat limited cage stiffening tot he shell) on what looks like a fairly production shell. Later privateer cars look more advanced.
Old 6 Feb 2013, 09:54 (Ref:3200068)   #5
brown dog
Racer

brown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbrown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero View Post
Thank you for the post. I had most of that information as well as some more in a slightly different area.
I'm curious as to whether the stone brothers had any involvement in ProAction, who are supposedly the NZ constructors of the EB. It seems to have followed GpC construction methodology (somewhat limited cage stiffening tot he shell) on what looks like a fairly production shell. Later privateer cars look more advanced.
Why would you need the Stone brothers when you have the silver tongued Craig Pulman on your side? I can only imagine the promises that must have been made I do remember this car being built in CP's workshop.
Old 6 Feb 2013, 11:59 (Ref:3200139)   #6
Nero
Racer

Actually it was the current owner, Keith Linnell wondering about the potential of a Stone Brothers connection. I can understand why, since they are currently in the news.
Does CP still have a workshop?
Old 6 Feb 2013, 12:39 (Ref:3200153)   #7
JT.
Rookie

Australia
melbourne
JT. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought the Stone brothers were at DJR when this car was built
Old 6 Feb 2013, 22:23 (Ref:3200400)   #8
Nero
Racer

well if they were then it would put an end to the owners query in this area.
Old 7 Feb 2013, 05:35 (Ref:3200498)   #9
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Stone Bros joined DJR in 1992.
Old 7 Feb 2013, 09:27 (Ref:3200563)   #10
Nero
Racer

Thank you. Was no involvement then.
Old 7 Feb 2013, 19:50 (Ref:3200862)   #11
brown dog
Racer

brown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbrown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero View Post
Actually it was the current owner, Keith Linnell wondering about the potential of a Stone Brothers connection. I can understand why, since they are currently in the news.
Does CP still have a workshop?

CP does not have a workshop, nor is involved in cars in any way that I know of? Most, if not all of the companies he has owned (and there have been many) have been struck off the companies register. I wonder what he is up to now?
Old 7 Feb 2013, 20:45 (Ref:3200877)   #12
raymond
Racer

New Zealand
Palmerston North
raymond should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown dog View Post
CP does not have a workshop, nor is involved in cars in any way that I know of? Most, if not all of the companies he has owned (and there have been many) have been struck off the companies register. I wonder what he is up to now?
One of the guys who built this car at Pro Action left not long afterwards and then went to work at DJR, maybe that might be the confusion? His name was Craig Milne
Old 8 Feb 2013, 02:49 (Ref:3200995)   #13
Nero
Racer

Could be, thank you for that, I'll pass it on to Keith.
Old 28 May 2016, 09:07 (Ref:3645023)   #14
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
For Sale Here
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 29 May 2016, 19:00 (Ref:3645604)   #15
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is actually the successor, the Queensland built EF that debuted at the 1995 Sandown 500.
Old 30 May 2016, 07:56 (Ref:3645732)   #16
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yep. The EB is still in Supercheap colours.