Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 3 May 2008, 22:19 (Ref:2193433)   #1
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Dale jr. offered $100,000 to race at Texas

http://www.paddocktalk.com/news/html...icle&sid=83090

Will never, ever happen. If he is gonna race in and IndyCar it'll be at Indy, and even that will probably never happen.
Old 3 May 2008, 22:32 (Ref:2193437)   #2
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Junior is probably raking in about $50 million in contracts, prize money, and endorsements. $100,000 is chump change to him.

That's Eddie Gossage for you, though: always a fantastic promoter.
Old 4 May 2008, 01:09 (Ref:2193478)   #3
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I could see him more likely at a road course in an Indy car. That and isnt Texas the track where the drivers almost didnt race one year due to the insane speeds they were maintaining around the track and the g loads? Not exactly where I'd want to debut
Old 4 May 2008, 02:56 (Ref:2193509)   #4
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Not sure if that was Texas but that was Champcar not Indycar several years ago.

I'd love to see it just for the novelty factor but aain doubt it will happen .... but you never know
Old 4 May 2008, 03:13 (Ref:2193511)   #5
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
$100k is chicken feed for Dale.

That would not be a motivating factor to compete.
Old 4 May 2008, 03:16 (Ref:2193512)   #6
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96
I could see him more likely at a road course in an Indy car. That and isnt Texas the track where the drivers almost didnt race one year due to the insane speeds they were maintaining around the track and the g loads? Not exactly where I'd want to debut
That was Texas 2001 with CART. The race was canceled due to high g loading on the drivers. Essentially with that exercise we found the limits humans could withstand in regards to motor racing. Dr. Steve Olvey's book has a chapter regarding this race and the effects on the drivers.
Old 4 May 2008, 08:05 (Ref:2193597)   #7
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
$100,000 cash or a cheque for his favourite charity? I don't know much about Dale Jr. but why would you pass up an opporunity to give money to a worthy cause and race at the same time?
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 4 May 2008, 09:51 (Ref:2193649)   #8
OpenWheel4ever
Racer

European Union
OpenWheel4ever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
$100k is chicken feed for Dale.

That would not be a motivating factor to compete.
But if I were Junior, I would not care about the money. I would try it if I can adapt my racing schedule to this event. It can be a great experience. I would not care if the cheque is 100K or 1 million...

If he really wants to try, he sould not care about the amount on the cheque...he's already full of money.
Old 4 May 2008, 10:36 (Ref:2193683)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters
$100,000 cash or a cheque for his favourite charity? I don't know much about Dale Jr. but why would you pass up an opporunity to give money to a worthy cause and race at the same time?
Because somebody is blackmailing you by playing the charity card. Playing the charity card in the media too. The race would get more than $100,000 from it, and yet that is all being offerred. Charity for who, Texas or Indycar?! IMHO it is not fair and far from dignified to do that publically. It is no one else's business other than Dale's which charity, whether he makes it public, and if at all, he gives money to.

Last edited by Adam43; 4 May 2008 at 10:38.
Old 4 May 2008, 12:30 (Ref:2193748)   #10
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
This will never happen.

One, drivers today just are not that anxious to try their hand in another series like they used to.

Two, playing the charity card is, as Adam states above, blackmail.

Three, just because there may not be a NASCAR race that weekend there may be things he is committed to (otherwise how do you keep the mega bucks rolling in for the assorted sponsorship deals) that would keep him from doing a one-off.

Personally, I would love to see Jeff Gordon or Tony Stewart do a one-off as I rate them higher as drivers than I do Dale Jr.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 4 May 2008, 18:01 (Ref:2193887)   #11
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
About the charity topic - if you were a driver, would you risk your life and career in a medium which you are unfimilar with? What if something catastrophic happened to Dale Jr.? NASCAR and Hendrick would have multiple heart attacks, and to top it off Dale doesn't get paid.

Remember 2 or 3 years ago when Dale raced at Infineon raceway? He was driving the Corvette ALMS car when it caught fire. He was burned pretty badly on the hands and legs. I think after that, NASCAR was very weary of letting him race in non-NASCAR events.

Dale Jr. would need at least $1 million to race, and even then it's not going to happen.

Now, Tony Stewart racing at Texas would make more sense!

*BTW - Texas is on June 7, the next day on June 8 is Pocono for NASCAR.*

Last edited by Amar7605; 4 May 2008 at 18:06.
Old 4 May 2008, 18:49 (Ref:2193920)   #12
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
I think you'd see Dale in a V8 supercar one off before racing in the irl.
Old 4 May 2008, 19:33 (Ref:2193936)   #13
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
There's been mumblings about a V8 outing, but this jsut may be rampant speculation from a totally untrustable source (it is just floating about in my mind).
Old 4 May 2008, 19:36 (Ref:2193940)   #14
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amar7605
Could Tony fit into an IRL car now? (Thats a serious question btw, though you can interpret it as humourous if you want).
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 4 May 2008, 21:28 (Ref:2194008)   #15
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Probably not!

This is a thoroughly pointless (and undignified whilst we're at it) proposal. Quite apart from the fact it would be a total waste of a weekend for Dale. If he isn't already committed to some other work, he will want a rare weekend off I would guess rather than tootle round Texas in an ultimately wasteful and irrelevant guest appearance that would be of no benefit to him.
Old 4 May 2008, 22:55 (Ref:2194054)   #16
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Well, it wouldn't be a waste if he wanted to do it (for fun). Why is it undignified?

That said, I don't think he would have any interest in doing it.
Old 5 May 2008, 00:23 (Ref:2194082)   #17
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amar7605
About the charity topic - if you were a driver, would you risk your life and career in a medium which you are unfimilar with? What if something catastrophic happened to Dale Jr.? NASCAR and Hendrick would have multiple heart attacks, and to top it off Dale doesn't get paid.

Remember 2 or 3 years ago when Dale raced at Infineon raceway? He was driving the Corvette ALMS car when it caught fire. He was burned pretty badly on the hands and legs. I think after that, NASCAR was very weary of letting him race in non-NASCAR events.

Dale Jr. would need at least $1 million to race, and even then it's not going to happen.

*BTW - Texas is on June 7, the next day on June 8 is Pocono for NASCAR.*

Well at the risk of taking this off-topic, it is not our fault that Dale Jr is as goofy as his dad was about safety equipment and not using it. Jr hops into a 'Vette without the proper layers of nomex and when it hits the fan he almost buys the farm. Maybe next time he will wear the underwear AND the overalls.

His dad said: "I ain't puttin my head in a god-d***** noose," (referring to HANS device advice) ignored Bill Simpson's advice about mounting his belts and insisted on wearing an open-face helmet. The results speak for themselves.

Personally, I don't think he has the talent to drive an open wheel car...so he is going to "protect the franchise" by staying out of one.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 5 May 2008, 05:24 (Ref:2194159)   #18
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
Well at the risk of taking this off-topic, it is not our fault that Dale Jr is as goofy as his dad was about safety equipment and not using it. Jr hops into a 'Vette without the proper layers of nomex and when it hits the fan he almost buys the farm. Maybe next time he will wear the underwear AND the overalls.

His dad said: "I ain't puttin my head in a god-d***** noose," (referring to HANS device advice) ignored Bill Simpson's advice about mounting his belts and insisted on wearing an open-face helmet. The results speak for themselves.

Personally, I don't think he has the talent to drive an open wheel car...so he is going to "protect the franchise" by staying out of one.
The lackadaisical approach to safety by some drivers is mind numbing.
Old 5 May 2008, 08:58 (Ref:2194241)   #19
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As it has always been. When crash helmets were introduced to replace the cloth cap of the early 50s, it was the drivers who objected...
Old 5 May 2008, 09:57 (Ref:2194279)   #20
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Magnusson
As it has always been. When crash helmets were introduced to replace the cloth cap of the early 50s, it was the drivers who objected...

Nomex underwear has been part and parcel of the safety requirements for drivers since the '70's (I can personally vouch for that!). What you describe above, Jimmy is the reaction to what was literally a revolution in driver safety. Mounting seatbelts properly and wearing the required safety gear is just common sense, but I digress...

mountainstar, mind numbing doesn't even begin to describe the "approach" by some drivers regarding basic safety!!
Old 6 May 2008, 02:52 (Ref:2194838)   #21
rush1
Veteran

rush1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jr. has never been in an open wheel car has he?

I would think he needs to prove he could get up to speed and show some consistent lap times - i.e. pass the IRL rookie test. I am sure the IRL drivers would want a competitor to have some time behind the wheel before racing against him at a place like Texas.

Jr., no dummy, seems to understand this.

If I had the opportunity, if I was there testing my car and somebody had their car there, I’d like to jump in it and run a couple of laps," Earnhardt Jr. said, "but that would be the extent of the adventure.”
http://www.scenedaily.com/news/artic...yCar_race.html

Maybe offer him a test, do some laps and maybe he could compete in the future.
Old 6 May 2008, 06:19 (Ref:2194910)   #22
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think dale will hardly accept, for a similar reason, rush1

Facts have shown that dropping in a different series and figure out decently (let alone win) is very hard nowadays: cars are different, and require a long work to fit a newcomer.
Just look at the problems ex-CC drivers are facing on ovals; A Nascar superstar faces the high risk to be a backmarker in Indycar (and vice versa, like Hornish and Franchitti are showing), which is, I reckon, unbearable for anyone of them.