Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Oct 2010, 17:51 (Ref:2770446)   #1
frostie
Ten-Tenths Photo Of The Year Winner 2013
Racer

Ireland
Dundalk
frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!
Round 16: Japanese Grand Prix

There are now only four(or is it three, who knows?) races remaining to settle the battle to be crowned world champion. Suzuka plays host to the Japanese Grand Prix in the early hours of Sunday morning and by the time the chequered flag falls we could be a long way to deciding who will be champion!

My preview is now online

BBC Schedule
Friday 8 October
Practice one: 0155-0335, BBC Red Button
Practice two: 0555-0735, BBC Red Button
Saturday 9 October
Practice three: 0255-0405, BBC Red Button
Qualifying: 0500-0730, BBC One
Qualifying re-run: 1300-1415, BBC One
Sunday 10 October
Race: 0600-0915, BBC One
Race re-run: 1400-1600, BBC One
YearDriverTeam
2009Sebastian VettelRed Bull
2006Fernando AlonsoRenault
2005Kimi RaikkonenMcLaren
2004Michael SchumacherFerrari
2003Rubbens BarrichelloFerrari
2002Michael SchumacherFerrari
2001Michael SchumacherFerrari
2000Michael SchumacherFerrari
1999Mika HakkinenMcLaren
1998Mika HakkinenMcLaren
1997Michael SchumacherFerrari
1996Damon HillWilliams
1995Michael SchumacherBenetton
1994Damon HillWilliams
1993Ayrton SennaMcLaren
1992Ricardo PatreseWilliams
1991Gerhard BergerMcLaren
1990Nelson Piquet Benetton
1989Alesandro NanniniBenetton
1988Ayrton SennaMcLaren
1987Gerhard BergerFerrari
Old 6 Oct 2010, 19:50 (Ref:2770507)   #2
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great round up. Suzuka is a great circuit. I accept it is difficult to overtake there, but it is a real circuit. It looks like rain will only effect qualifying, so that might place the front running cars down the field - if they miscalculate the qualifying. It might spice the race up.
Old 7 Oct 2010, 00:45 (Ref:2770606)   #3
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Wow ! Here it comes the Japanese GP. Fortunately (or not) is not the title decider anymore... but hey, I love this track !
Old 7 Oct 2010, 02:26 (Ref:2770632)   #4
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The forecasts as usual vary, but most say it will be moist on Friday, wet on Saturday and cloudy Sunday..... some forecasts have a wet Sunday as well.

A good detailed circuit forecast
(complete with expected track temps and lots of pretty illustrations by clicking on some of the buttons in the menu.)
Old 7 Oct 2010, 07:56 (Ref:2770710)   #5
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
This is a great track. F1 cars more able to overtake would make it better or at least as good as it once was. The prospect of a wet qualifying seems very much odds on!
Old 7 Oct 2010, 08:19 (Ref:2770720)   #6
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Great intro as ever, frostie. Liked the history on Degner. Did a bit of research in to the old Suzuka track. Never realised that the Degners used to be one flowing flat-out right, and there also never used to be the final chicane there.

Selby
Old 7 Oct 2010, 22:14 (Ref:2771093)   #7
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thanks, but I would like a little bit different.
Old 7 Oct 2010, 23:23 (Ref:2771124)   #8
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
practice 1 will be on in a matter of an hour and a half, here's hoping that McLaren can close the gap to the bulls and ferrari's. I'd like to see a close(r) result/race/championship again. not much seperates Vettel Hamilton and Button. -20 for Hammy, -21 for Vettel, and -25 for button. With good results for them and locking out the top spots if they do, they could potentially improve their hopes of the title, with 3 or maybe 2 races left after this.
Old 8 Oct 2010, 01:27 (Ref:2771175)   #9
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
P1 has started and the weather is good, but forecast for tomorrow is pretty poor.

Anthony Davidson has been explaining the start procedure that the F1 drivers have to go through and it is insanely complicated!
Old 8 Oct 2010, 01:47 (Ref:2771184)   #10
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Halfway through P1 and Lewis has gone off at Degner 2, quite badly damaging the nearside front suspension. Just what he didn't want.
Old 8 Oct 2010, 03:56 (Ref:2771216)   #11
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
P2 very soon. Hamilton's car is going to be up by then, not too much damage that can't be fixed.
Old 8 Oct 2010, 06:19 (Ref:2771249)   #12
rpolinski
Racer

Australia
rpolinski should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whatever happened to the old McLaren? The McLaren that rebuilt Senna's car in '93 in half the time.
Old 8 Oct 2010, 06:45 (Ref:2771259)   #13
porscherules
Rookie

porscherules should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
very sad for hamilton, thats the diference between having a good car and driving at 80 % and make a good time and mac claren hamilton going 110% to try to catch the redbull , overpassing the limits always makes you crash...is like gravity you cant fight with it.
Old 8 Oct 2010, 07:22 (Ref:2771279)   #14
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
I don't think that he's trying to beat anyone in FP1. Just another driver error.
Old 8 Oct 2010, 08:03 (Ref:2771295)   #15
Grandpa_Rob
Racer

Australia
Oz
Grandpa_Rob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Love this race even if it does clash with Bathurst and MotoGP.....in for a great weekend of racing.
Old 8 Oct 2010, 08:21 (Ref:2771307)   #16
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I just forget when it's on the TV and miss it - and I'm away from home right now so can't record it either......
Old 8 Oct 2010, 09:03 (Ref:2771336)   #17
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So, both RBR drivers were slapped on the wrists...."recpect one another children" ... but this weekend is going to end in tears for RBR.

It seems clear already, this early in the weekend that they are racing themselves. RBR dont chace the timesheets on Fridays, my memory tells me every time they have been comfortably quicker in FP1 then they only ended up going quicker and gapping the other teams

So, this weekend seems to be Turkey Rd2....Vettel wants points, is desperate for points and Webber will need this win with his team mate behing him to give him a gap to Alonso, and put Vettel out of the running. Assuming Webber, Vettel Alsonso (Maybe Kuz can sneak into 3rd???) then it means Webber will have 21 points on Alonso and 28 on Vettel....

IF, we reverse it and Vettel bags 1st with Webber behind him it means Webber only has 14 points to both Alonso and Vettel....surely this is far too tight for RBR going into the final 3 races. Dont think RBR or Webber want the win given to him....but Webber really needs to show the pace he has shown in past years at Suzuka this weekend as he has a quick team mate and its critical he beats him this weekend.

Playing with the numbers, if Weber bags a win in the next 4 races it really only means he needs 3 3rds to sew it up provided Sebv doesnt win the other 3.

So, if there are any side by side action, is it going to be another bash-clash lottery dip to see who still has a drivable car? I suspect Vettel will ptu Webber to the sword thinking Webber will protect his points lead and take 18 points...will Mark let him push him around?????
Old 8 Oct 2010, 14:10 (Ref:2771454)   #18
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Always assuming that they both make it through turn one. It wouldn't be the first time that two championship protaganists went off there together.
Old 8 Oct 2010, 14:19 (Ref:2771457)   #19
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpolinski View Post
Whatever happened to the old McLaren? The McLaren that rebuilt Senna's car in '93 in half the time.
That was 17 years ago. The cars are very much more complex nowadays.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
I don't think that he's trying to beat anyone in FP1. Just another driver error.
He'd just set the fastest time in sector 1 and in his own words it was probably a question of going too fast too early.

I'm very disappointed, because it has set back his weekend by a big chunk.
Old 8 Oct 2010, 14:53 (Ref:2771472)   #20
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post

I'm very disappointed, because it has set back his weekend by a big chunk.
He never really got going in FP2. FP3 could be wet and thereafter it would be a case of 'run what yer brung'.

Tyres could be an interesting topic this weekend....
Old 8 Oct 2010, 15:12 (Ref:2771482)   #21
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
He never really got going in FP2. FP3 could be wet and thereafter it would be a case of 'run what yer brung'.

Tyres could be an interesting topic this weekend....
Yeah because Suzuka has high braking in some of the hairpins is quite tough on tyres. We could see three stops possibly.

As for McLaren I think they just don't have the car for the coming races. The only race I think they could be strong at will be Brazil.

I think on Sunday it will be a three way fight with Alosno, Vettel, and Webber.
Old 8 Oct 2010, 18:30 (Ref:2771569)   #22
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rain is expected for both qualifying and race. For tomorrow heavy rain is expected!
Old 8 Oct 2010, 18:36 (Ref:2771572)   #23
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
It doesn't seem to matter whose forecast you're looking at, FP3 and qualifying look likely to be a complete washout.

http://live.autosport.com/commentary.php/id/277
Old 8 Oct 2010, 19:56 (Ref:2771616)   #24
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

That's just great ! Some rain is always exciting for racing.
Old 8 Oct 2010, 20:30 (Ref:2771637)   #25
TF110
Veteran

United States
So with qualifying wet, will they still run the dry set up and compromise starting position compared a wet set up, but a dry race? I think they'd do so. Go for the dry set up thinking it won't rain during race day and take your chances in qualifying seeing how far up you can make it for a dry set-up in wet qualifying. Also, the fact Lewis was only 13th in FP2 was because the rear wing he was using was one of the older ones combined with newer parts on the car in other places. It was said that a team member has to fly in from Britain to Japan with parts for the new rear wing. Button was just testing all the components to see how they played out. It wasn't like he was going for super times trying to dominate. Red Bull might look like they're in the lead now, but I think McLaren and Ferrari have a thing or two for them. Let's see how FP3 and Qualifying go.