Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > 10 Tenths Motorsport > Announcements and Feedback

Old 11 Mar 2003, 00:24 (Ref:532240)   #1
Heebeegeetee
Veteran

Heebeegeetee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Barry Sheene

I've noticed that all the Sheene threads have been moved to one board. This is a shame, because previously the respect and popularity of the great man was reflected in how many and diverse were the threads and posts coming in. Now it appears as though only the bikers are interested.

I'd posted on the historic racing board because we'd seen him at the Goodwood Revival, an event surely at the heart of the historic scene, irrespective of whether we're talking two or four wheels.

You should allow us car fans to pay our respects to a man whose appeal stretched way beyond his own sport.

Heebee
Old 11 Mar 2003, 00:34 (Ref:532245)   #2
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Heebeegeetee, they have'nt been removed, they have been merged into one topic in the bike forum.

After dicussion in the staff forum, we felt the best way to pay respect to this great man was to have his thread where his history was.

A very sad day for motorsport fans.
Old 11 Mar 2003, 07:20 (Ref:532426)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Heebeegeetee,

I must admit that I actually suggested this move. You canb still pick the merged thread up from the various fora so whilst one may be posting in the Bike Forum the route to it may have been from the Historic.

I am very sad at this news because my favourite thoughts of Barry were his days in the Toyota Supra in the BTCC.
Old 11 Mar 2003, 13:33 (Ref:532640)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm not a bike fan, but I had huge respect for Barry Sheene, as a sportsman and a person. If I was looking for a place to post my respects, I would immediately head for the Bike Forum - that's totally logical, isn't it?
Old 11 Mar 2003, 14:49 (Ref:532719)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I am sorry you feel this way Heebee.

I also asked for this to be done. Whether these threads should be kept spread out had crossed my mind, but if you are looking for posting about Barry then surely the obvious place to look is in the Bike forum.

Re-directs were left in the other forums (although these do slip to the bottom).

And while this is not really a topic that should be used for ulterior motives it's good to get people visiting forums they don't normally go to. I think it is particularly suitable because Barry turned a lot of people towards bike racing.

As it stands now the combined thread is a great indication that Barry touched so many of us.
Old 11 Mar 2003, 20:28 (Ref:533150)   #6
Heebeegeetee
Veteran

Heebeegeetee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Evenin' All

Ok. It's just that, on the day he died, I logged on, and on the home page you could see all these threads on the 'current topics' bit, even from such as the European touring car board, which I thought was really nice, and reflected vividly the level of the mans popularity. There are few people who could appeal across so many genres, never mind the two/four wheel divide.

I particularly wanted to post my respects on the Historic racing board, 'cos a) that's very much my scene at the moment, b) the Goodwood Revival was where he raced last, and c) to allow us historic fans to register our sympathy as a collective body. Otherwise, we all appear as bikers, (not saying there's anything wrong with that! LOL) and it may look as though no-one else really cares. I know that wasn't the intention.

I have to smile when I think of where Barry Sheene came from, and to compare that background with what the historic car racing scene represents today. They're probably two worlds as far apart as you could get, yet Sheene could transcend all of that.

It's a difficult situation, and I'm aware that we've all tried to do the right thing. It's also possibly a unique situation. Right now I'd struggle to think of some one else who could command the same respect from all around the world, from so many sports and backgrounds.

Cheers, guys,

Heebee
Old 12 Mar 2003, 09:01 (Ref:533594)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Cheers for your thoughts Heebee and for expressing them so well.