Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 28 Jan 2013, 07:48 (Ref:3195168)   #76
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thought the McRae one was the best of the 3. Not really a rally fan but thoroughly enjoyed it last night.
Old 28 Jan 2013, 10:18 (Ref:3195226)   #77
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quite agree Dave,best of the three.
Old 28 Jan 2013, 12:33 (Ref:3195272)   #78
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I really enjoyed it and I think it will be staying on the Sky+ box for a while to come.
Old 28 Jan 2013, 15:07 (Ref:3195322)   #79
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Agree it was the best. I thought Hoy was a very good presenter who didn't impose his own sporting success and, although I never really understood McRae's 'win it or bin it' approach, I found the programme very engaging.
Old 28 Jan 2013, 15:21 (Ref:3195326)   #80
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I add my own five-pennyworth to this and say that I too thought it was an excellent programme that (unlike the other two) seemed to concentrate on the subject, not the presenter of the show.
Obviously Colin couldn't be involved in the show personally, but the input from his Dad Jimmy was very interesting. (And he too kept himself in the background).
Old 28 Jan 2013, 15:36 (Ref:3195334)   #81
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It was good to see the programme didn't shy away from Colin's fatal flaw. It was part of what made the man. It's just tragic that it ultimately took the lives of three others too.
Old 28 Jan 2013, 19:25 (Ref:3195406)   #82
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It wouldn't have been right to have ignored something that was, quite simply, his character.

Just watched it. Ah man. I feel very sad. I rarely get tearful but there were a lot of happy memories there. Colin is one of my heroes and not even that stupid accident he caused can change that entirely.
Old 28 Jan 2013, 20:53 (Ref:3195445)   #83
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, I thought it was a good show. It just gave the factual reports about the accident and left it at that. Sensible in the circumstances.

If anything I think they played down his achievements - okay Tommy won a few championships but McRae took the record for most WRC wins. This wasn't mentioned. I also thought they could have covered his comeback with Skoda. Okay so he didn't win anything but to come back and be on the pace immediately with a second rate car demonstrated total class - and that he could still do the business.
Old 29 Jan 2013, 10:32 (Ref:3195659)   #84
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yep, I agree, best of the 3, even though I, too, am not as into rallying as track racing.
Old 29 Jan 2013, 23:31 (Ref:3195991)   #85
btcckid
Racer

United Kingdom
england
btcckid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonidas View Post
Yes, I thought it was a good show. It just gave the factual reports about the accident and left it at that. Sensible in the circumstances.

If anything I think they played down his achievements - okay Tommy won a few championships but McRae took the record for most WRC wins. This wasn't mentioned. I also thought they could have covered his comeback with Skoda. Okay so he didn't win anything but to come back and be on the pace immediately with a second rate car demonstrated total class - and that he could still do the business.
dont forget Xsara in 2006 too......see i get fed up that nobody ever remembers that this was the last WRC car he raced ........its the forgotten rounds he entered
Old 30 Jan 2013, 13:31 (Ref:3196171)   #86
cg7aa
Veteran

cg7aa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There were some omissions as some have already mentioned but it was to be expected. I wanted more about his relationships with his co-drivers though especially Grist and how this may or may not have broken down at certain times because in my view, he expected them (maybe without realising it) to accept the very high levels of risks he was prepared to take on.

Nicky's facial expression after the costly 2001 crash was indeed very telling. I remember being so so disappointed back then when I heard the news of the crash.

He could have achieved so much more if only...I mean that Dakar crash for instance. It was very frustrating being a fan sometimes.

Perhaps I'm the only one who thinks this but I think the whole 'if in doubt' thing was perhaps a little bravado/psychological thing, a part of me doubts if it was really carried out to the letter every time and all the time.

To this day, I still get goosebumps watching some of the onboard footage of his driving, almost invariably at the end of watching such clips, I can't help feeling a little sad that he is no longer with us.

Overall, a watchable program even if some of us have seen Block's antics enough times for the awe to wear of a little. Minor moan though.
Old 30 Jan 2013, 15:25 (Ref:3196211)   #87
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I got the impression that later on he became more interested in winning rallies than winning championships - especially after signing for Ford when the car wasn't at its most reliable and it wasn't great on tarmac. That just made logical sense in the circumstances.

I think Colin certainly played up his recklessness for effect. You can't win that number of rallies by being reckless. There may have been a slight issue of concentration or focus at times when the red mist descended. Jim Clark used to say that to go faster he didn't actually drive any faster he just concentrated more. That's even more the case in rallying when you are dealing with pace notes and hundreds of corners. But when it mattered - when Carlos was trying to wind him up - Colin got on with it and won the championship.
Old 30 Jan 2013, 17:49 (Ref:3196261)   #88
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
It was good to see the programme didn't shy away from Colin's fatal flaw. It was part of what made the man. It's just tragic that it ultimately took the lives of three others too.
Agreed. Was expecting them to skirt round the circumstances of the crash. Kudus to the programme makers for stating the facts and leaving it at that.

I'm a bigger fan of rally than circuit, so perhaps I'm biased, but I thought the McRae episode was the best of the series. Hoy made a better presenter than I was expecting and, despite the omissions, I thought it was a pretty good whistlestop tour of his career highlights.
Old 30 Jan 2013, 19:05 (Ref:3196296)   #89
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Was simply a great tv show, along the lines of the TT film, just very well done.

I thought Sir Chris was humble, respectful and pretty damn handy, Jimmy was also so welcoming and proud, was quite moving really.

And all the other peopel involved, they should all be very proud of what they did, this was a truly superb piece of tv, so much better than all the other shows and I am glad we were able to see it.
Old 1 Feb 2013, 06:43 (Ref:3196914)   #90
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I second and third all that after catching up last night!

During the years Colin was climbing to the top with Subaru I was working for one of the opposition in WRC so the program bought a lot of memories back. Sir Chris was perfect choice and obviously got on well with Jimmy from the banter. Yes, perhaps a bit less of KB in the Fiesta and a bit more of Colin would have suited me, but on the whole the best of the three programs by far. Glad I saved it so can watch again......

Old 2 Feb 2013, 11:43 (Ref:3198070)   #91
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I had actually forgotten that McRae led the Dakar. I was actually really quite angry upon rediscovering this!

Dunno how I forgot tbh.
Old 2 Feb 2013, 11:45 (Ref:3198072)   #92
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonidas View Post
I got the impression that later on he became more interested in winning rallies than winning championships - especially after signing for Ford when the car wasn't at its most reliable and it wasn't great on tarmac. That just made logical sense in the circumstances.

I think Colin certainly played up his recklessness for effect. You can't win that number of rallies by being reckless. There may have been a slight issue of concentration or focus at times when the red mist descended. Jim Clark used to say that to go faster he didn't actually drive any faster he just concentrated more. That's even more the case in rallying when you are dealing with pace notes and hundreds of corners. But when it mattered - when Carlos was trying to wind him up - Colin got on with it and won the championship.
He could be reckless, but he won the Safari multiple times. There was an intelligent, percentage driver in there as well. He wouldn't have been on top of the world if not.
Old 4 Feb 2013, 12:34 (Ref:3199033)   #93
cg7aa
Veteran

cg7aa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg7aa View Post
There were some omissions as some have already mentioned but it was to be expected...

It just occured to me, there wasn't a mention of the nasty Corsica (I think it was Corsica, may have been another tarmac rally) accident either when the car went down the ravine.
Old 4 Feb 2013, 13:14 (Ref:3199051)   #94
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg7aa View Post
It just occured to me, there wasn't a mention of the nasty Corsica (I think it was Corsica, may have been another tarmac rally) accident either when the car went down the ravine.
Yeah Corsica. By far his worst accident in a rally.
Old 4 Feb 2013, 15:42 (Ref:3199105)   #95
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Indeed, I think he was stuck in the car for a while, and he hurt his hand.

It was about this time I think that Nicky started getting fed up I reckon, must be hard sitting in a McRae car in that era!
Old 4 Feb 2013, 17:24 (Ref:3199148)   #96
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Second half of 1999 and a lot of 2000 he was just crazy really, seemingly out of frustration at the reliability issues. The Focus was atrocious after he got the two early wins in '99.

2001 was much better though. Had he perhaps been sensible at Rally GB things would probably have been fine. But that must have destroyed Grist, it was his title too.
Old 5 Feb 2013, 16:33 (Ref:3199651)   #97
ArnageWRC
Racer

UK-ROI
Nord Ouest Ingleterre
ArnageWRC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
He could be reckless, but he won the Safari multiple times. There was an intelligent, percentage driver in there as well. He wouldn't have been on top of the world if not.
Exactly, it's too easy to say he was reckless without actually looking at his record, and the evidence.
3 Safari wins, 5 Acropolis wins, the two toughest events on the WRC calendar. I still maintain that 1997/98 WRC Titles were lost by car problems, including the recurring engines issues. In 1998, he lead the last 2 events, when the engine failed on both events.

The majority of drivers have at least one major off in a season, and in 2001, Colin hadn't had one when they arrived for RallyGB. I just knew what would happen - especially after being at Tyle, and seeing him fly through....A few of us looked at each other and knowingly waited for the inevitable. However, it needn't have been like that; he didn't score a single point on Tarmac that year - a nose heavy car, and poor Pirelli Tarmac tyres saw to that.
Old 5 Feb 2013, 22:03 (Ref:3199827)   #98
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
When you consder he only won one championship it is a rather poor return considering he was at elast the match of Makinen and often quicker.

Burns was at a good level for 4 or do years and managed to win the championship too, as did Solberg and neither you would consider to be way above the rest in terms of speed.

The WRC is a battle of wit, pacing yourself and luck. Colin had luck and enough wit, what he seemed to find hard was pacing himself, he hated being beaten, in the early pre WRC days in the Impreza I think he had this nailed and would nearly always win a last stage battle.

But he only won the war once, and this says it all.
Old 5 Feb 2013, 22:15 (Ref:3199847)   #99
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

As Arnage says though, you can attribute a couple of titles, at least, to reliability.

'97 and '98 he was outstanding and missed out by the slenderest of margins against the bulletproof Mitsubishi of Makinen.

At the end of the day, he won tons of rallies to go with that world title and that's good enough. He brought drama and excitement and interest to the WRC in this country and all that means we can be immensely proud of him I think.
Old 5 Feb 2013, 23:19 (Ref:3199896)   #100
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I'm fairly sure that cars of his team mates wre unreliable? Eriksson, Sainz, Liatti all won rallies too in Subaru, but admittedly noone really got close with the Focus, only Carlos, until the Martin/Duval came out.

For me he was out engineered and just now and then out thought by Tommi, the two are both legends, and both pushed each other about as far as anyone else has been pushed since Group B and Alen, Juha, Timo etc