Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 26 Mar 2024, 19:09 (Ref:4202910)   #26
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonidas View Post
Is there a case for phasing in a change to make the Modified 4X4 class the premier category in British rallycross so that the national championship can go everywhere?
I'd personally rather see Super National elevated to the premier class. Any sort of "open" modified 4x4 class would surely end up in Supercar territory for anyone with a big enough budget and the idea of having the premier class as something closer to production 4x4 is a hugely underwhelming prospect in my mind.

Looking at the entry list for the opening weekend...

...and Supercar is actually the healthiest entry of the lot (with some fairly modern Supercars in the mix there).

Super Retro looks good and I'd expect that Junior field to give us some decent racing as well. Good thing that RX150 was opened up to Crosscar or that would surely have got canned with two entries?

In my opinion All4 desperately needs the boost in entries it promised at its inception.
Old 27 Mar 2024, 13:22 (Ref:4202985)   #27
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
That's not a bad entry - obvious ommisions are Woloch with the BMW and no Bellerbys. No 4wd cars in the retros either - thought we might have seen Andy Grant and maybe a couple of others in there.
Old 27 Mar 2024, 14:01 (Ref:4202991)   #28
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
That's not a bad entry - obvious ommisions are Woloch with the BMW and no Bellerbys. No 4wd cars in the retros either - thought we might have seen Andy Grant and maybe a couple of others in there.
Guess the 4WD retros are all saving themselves for Lydden Legend?
Old 27 Mar 2024, 16:12 (Ref:4203018)   #29
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonidas View Post
I've been living outside the UK for a while so I've rather lost touch with British rallycross but... how has it got as bad as this?

The "main" GB championship seems to be a Lydden track championship. The BTRDA is barely getting about 40 entries. Entry fees are up to around £500 a round for Minis. Wow.

This looks like a sport that seriously needs a sustainability plan with a single championship and event structure. Having so many events in a small corner of the south east is just going turn off the rest of the country.

Is there a case for phasing in a change to make the Modified 4X4 class the premier category in British rallycross so that the national championship can go everywhere? Very few UK drivers seem to have serious European campaigns and I suspect very few existing drivers can afford to step up to a full spec Supercar. Existing Supercars could eventually go into an outlaw / Retro class to be run at the few venues that allow them.

At the other end of the scale, what about engaging with the large Autograss community and having a rallycross class to cater for class 1 and 2 production cars? There is a desperate need to get more into the sport and appealing to those who already have competition cars in their garage may be one way to do it.
It's been pretty bad for a long time.

There used to be highlights on terrestrial TV and there were lots of different classes, each with a only handful of old out of date cars in them. Often all you had to do to get on the podium was still be running at the end of the day. It was almost embarrassing to watch.

I don't think it has improved significantly since then, but I am perhaps being too critical? I always thought that it needs just two main classes, plus 1 junior championship and maybe 1 retro - otherwise it is too diluted. The supercars are fun to see, but too unreliable, too expensive and too rare.
Old 27 Mar 2024, 17:50 (Ref:4203032)   #30
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post

Looking at the entry list for the opening weekend...

I was half considering biting the bullet and making the trek. However, my company has decided to sell my company car (it was getting old to be fair) and dumped a former Directors EV on me for the next few months until they source me something else. Lovely car way, way above my pay grade, but total pain in the a**e running it. Would need to charge twice en route to get there and back and at over an hour per charge on my journey time, it is somewhat off putting! Entry at British GT at Oulton looks a lot less hassle, just one charge needed!
Old 27 Mar 2024, 18:21 (Ref:4203039)   #31
flatlandsman
Racer

Ireland
Daventry
flatlandsman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When you look at that and remember the old says of Formula's A, B, C and maybe Minicross, it makes you weep.

This series and BTRDA will run a grid for anyone and anything if they can scrape 5 or more cars together.

To me it is a little embarrassing how far this series has fallen, the show is still OK and the drivers work very hard at it, but it has needed root and branch overhaul for about 20 years not just going through the motions. That is no fault of the drivers, it needs better management.
Old 2 Apr 2024, 17:32 (Ref:4203619)   #32
CS1
Racer

CS1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pretty good meeting.
Having not attended a BRX event I was pleased to see the championship has some great potential now. Shame about Ian Barrett and Oli Bennet - anyone know what happened ?

Such a shame it doesnt have any rounds closer north or they would have another competitor
Old 2 Apr 2024, 18:02 (Ref:4203622)   #33
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
From what was said on Sunday, Barrett had engine problems and decided to not risk it and Bennet had accident damage from Saturday.

For me personally, it was an average days racing. The Retro (Super and Normal) were great to watch, tho were have the 4WD cars gone? The super Cars were great fun as always and the biggest surprise was the Cross Cars being added to the RX150's, they were equally matched and looked great fun.

The biggest disappointment was the BMW Minis and Swifts, even after all these years of running, they still were more than a few mechanical issues. I would have thought they be bomb proof by now! Those issues together with small entries that after the first lap were spread out made them rather boring to watch and just uninspiring unfortunate.

Here's my Trackside vid for anyone who interested:

https://youtu.be/UBDUo6_3npI?si=r-4O346uTTwKj-oN
https://youtu.be/UBDUo6_3npI?si=r-4O346uTTwKj-oN
Old 2 Apr 2024, 18:46 (Ref:4203628)   #34
Barrie
Veteran

England
Colchester Essex
Barrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oliver Bennett for me got taken out by POD, POD not reprimanded as usual. Bennett nearly got car repaired for the next race but organisers didn’t allow him any more time. Heard he decided to pack up and go.
Old 2 Apr 2024, 19:01 (Ref:4203630)   #35
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by CS1 View Post
Shame about Ian Barrett and Oli Bennet - anyone know what happened ?
Barrett dropped a valve (or two) during Q1 on Saturday, think he was packed up by lunchtime. Real shame as I thought he could be a bit of a dark horse. Hopefully he can get the engine sorted.

Seemed to be a couple of different stories doing the rounds about Bennett (as is the case in the paddock! ). An issue with the car which prevented it from making the semi-final seems to be the story that has made it to the press release.

As said above, it was a bit of a mixed bag of racing. Some of the single make classes ended up pretty strung out on both days which wasn't great to watch. Really enjoyed Super Retro, some lovely cars out there and some good action.

Supercars were definitely the highlight, though I was a little irked by the final on Saturday; real shame that Godfrey jumped the start and had to double joker as he had fantastic pace throughout the day and I think he could have challenged for second or even first. However it was the position swapping that really miffed me. I can understand why RX Racing wouldn't want to squabble for positions, but I don't like seeing team mates surrendering positions in any motorsport discipline: it annoyed me at the November meeting and it annoyed me again here.

The Supercar final on Monday was definitely a good one though. Massive shame for Michael Leonard (the pole spot seemed cursed in the Supercar finals this weekend!), but a fantastic charge from Patrick to recover from a stall to take the win. I was surprised that Patrick didn't better his fastest lap from Saturday in the Monday final as he was absolutely on it.

It was a shame that McCluskey couldn't hang on for the win, but still a well deserved second. Love those Murray Motorsport Fiestas, fantastic addition to the Championship. Pity that Donoghue didn't last the weekend in his Fiesta. Encouraging start for Sellar in his new Polo as well. He looked quicker than Harris in the semi-final, but he couldn't find a way around him to make it to the final.

Looking at the Supercar championship though you have Ollie O'Donovan, Godfrey, Leonard, McCluskey and Ovenden all trading times. If Patrick isn't going to run the full season then it could be a really interesting fight between those guys.

Agreed about the crosscars as well. An RX150 looks like a ton of fun, but the crosscars look a little more dynamic to me. Just good to see that class with numbers again. Sounds like there are a lot more crosscars expected this year, so that class has real promise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geordiecriag101
tho were have the 4WD cars gone?
Being kept for Lydden Legend I think.
Old 2 Apr 2024, 20:08 (Ref:4203642)   #36
CS1
Racer

CS1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard Bennet had a water pump issue on Saturday but you cant tell me they dont carry enough spares to be able to fix that car for Monday. Real shame as he was superb to watch.

It should be a great weekend at the Legend event if they are all out.

Are there an roumours of any more supercars for this year?

Any rumours for the Legends? Wonder if Martin has been asked by Charlie French......?
Old 2 Apr 2024, 20:57 (Ref:4203650)   #37
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie View Post
Oliver Bennett for me got taken out by POD, POD not reprimanded as usual. Bennett nearly got car repaired for the next race but organisers didn’t allow him any more time. Heard he decided to pack up and go.
Yeah, him leaving after the spin was the other story that seemed to be doing the rounds. As frustrating as it must be to get spun out, I real hope that isn't the truth.

Also, I think Godfrey was the one to blame for that spin: he cut across from the outside and set off a chain reaction.

Quote:
Are there an roumours of any more supercars for this year?
Not rumours as such as they are already confirmed, but Flitney should be out when he has an engine in the car and Priddy will be driving once the car is back together.

Quote:
Any rumours for the Legends? Wonder if Martin has been asked by Charlie French......?
Dan (Wright) actually mentioned this on the commentary; apparently Schanche was asked about driving the car (not sure if it was for Lydden Legend or just in general), but he said no.
Old 3 Apr 2024, 07:40 (Ref:4203684)   #38
flatlandsman
Racer

Ireland
Daventry
flatlandsman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For goodness sake Martin is well over 70!

The guy i would like to see is Matti, if they get those French 205s over again especially the one like his. But again he is a working man heavily involved in Finnish youth racing, so I doubt he has time.
Old 16 Apr 2024, 08:19 (Ref:4205114)   #39
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Few pictures from Lydden...

...and a few more here:

Flickr - 5 Nations Rallycross Championship 2024 - Rounds 1 & 2

For anyone who is interested!