Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 27 Aug 2012, 10:11 (Ref:3125723)   #1
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Top 20 Greatest F1 drivers

The BBC are currently going through their list of the top 20 F1 drivers of all time. They reveal one before each race and currently have got to number 10 with the top 9 to go.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/17299158

As the list stands at the moment
10. Alonso
11. Ascari
12. Gilles Villenuve
13. Mansell
14. Hakkinen
15. Hamilton
16. Nelson Piquet
17. Emerson Fittipaldi
18. Jack Brabham
19. Graham Hill
20. Rindt

Four of the current six world champions are on the list with Alonso 10 and Hamilton 15. That leaves Schumacher (almost certain) Vettel, Button & Raikkonen of those currently racing so who will be the fourth one. I think it will be either Vettel or Button but...

Of the rest of the top ten I suspect the following should be on the list in no particular order

Fangio,
Prost,
Senna,
Clark,
Stewart,
Schumacher,
Lauda &
Moss.

I would put Fangio at the top with Prost 2 and Clark 3.

Has anybody got other opinions?
Old 27 Aug 2012, 10:44 (Ref:3125737)   #2
frostie
Ten-Tenths Photo Of The Year Winner 2013
Racer

Ireland
Dundalk
frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!
Can I make a recommendation that we all submit our top ten drivers of all time and create our own list? Basically enter everything into a spreadsheet and give 10 points for the number 1 to 1 point for the 10 and create a list for everyone from the forum. Have it as a top 30 or 40(or however many drivers we end up with on the list?

I dont mind looking after it and giving a career overview for the drivers etc. Might be something worthwhile to keep us all occupied when the season finishes or something
Old 27 Aug 2012, 14:32 (Ref:3125838)   #3
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostie View Post
Can I make a recommendation that we all submit our top ten drivers of all time and create our own list? Basically enter everything into a spreadsheet and give 10 points for the number 1 to 1 point for the 10 and create a list for everyone from the forum. Have it as a top 30 or 40(or however many drivers we end up with on the list?

I dont mind looking after it and giving a career overview for the drivers etc. Might be something worthwhile to keep us all occupied when the season finishes or something
It seems people missed this post which would make the thread different from the others I've seen here on this topic. To get it started here's my Top 10 :

1. Senna
2. Clark
3. Stewart
4. Schumacher
5. Moss
6. Prost
7. Ascari
8. Lauda
9. Peterson
10. G. Villenueve

So to clarify: if you object to my list, make your own and then frostie (if I understood correctly) will make a Ten-Tenths top 20-30 list.
Old 27 Aug 2012, 10:47 (Ref:3125741)   #4
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That sounds like a great idea Frostie. I also like your intros for each GP as well.
Old 27 Aug 2012, 11:03 (Ref:3125748)   #5
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post

Has anybody got other opinions?
Ayrton Senna x 100
Old 27 Aug 2012, 11:11 (Ref:3125753)   #6
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Clark at the top. We can debate the rest.
Old 27 Aug 2012, 12:17 (Ref:3125780)   #7
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Old 27 Aug 2012, 13:00 (Ref:3125800)   #8
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Bernd Schneider no9?
Old 28 Aug 2012, 15:30 (Ref:3126378)   #9
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Fangio still has chances?
Old 28 Aug 2012, 16:02 (Ref:3126394)   #10
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekola View Post
Fangio still has chances?
He was regarded in awe by his peers.If he was on the entry list in a competitive car, the others used to discuss who would come second.

You've only got to read the biographies of them, like Moss or Brooks, to get the picture. It was all so easy for him - the only time he acknowledged he was on his limit was the famous 1957 GermanGP.

And to cap it all, he was modest, and a complete gentleman. Some people have it all.
Old 31 Aug 2012, 23:54 (Ref:3128078)   #11
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Absolutely!

- Hamilton ahead of Brabham ... major joke
- Villeneuve ahead of any world champion ... major joke (couldnt even beat his teammates)
- If Moss or Mansell are in the Top 10, you can simply put it down to "but they're British"
- We all know they are going to have Senna at No 1
Old 1 Sep 2012, 00:07 (Ref:3128081)   #12
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This is my list; if you don't like it, c'est la vie.

1. A.Senna
2. Fangio
2. Clark
4. Schumacher
5. Ascari
6. Lauda
7. Stewart
8. Prost
9. Moss
10. Brabham

11. G.Hill
12. E.Fittipaldi
13. N.Piquet
14. G.Villeneuve
15. Vettel
16. Alonso
17. Peterson
18. Hakkinen
19. Rindt
20. M.Andretti
Old 1 Sep 2012, 06:01 (Ref:3128129)   #13
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeks6 View Post
Absolutely!

- If Moss or Mansell are in the Top 10, you can simply put it down to "but they're British"
Hardly.
Old 27 Aug 2012, 11:48 (Ref:3125769)   #14
osrg
Racer

osrg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridosrg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hamilton in front of Sir Jack Brabham? Laughable.
Old 27 Aug 2012, 12:54 (Ref:3125794)   #15
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Ahh, I see they haven't included me yet! Lemme guess, Ayrton Senna is No1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by osrg View Post
In all the years I've had an interest in motorsport, I rarely hear/read about what kind of a driver Sir Jack was. They talk about his engineering prowess, how he was an Aussie battler, the race at Sebring, but nothing about how good he was. Any insight from anyone? Maybe who, in the last 20 years, that he may've been closest to, as a driver and competitor?
Old 27 Aug 2012, 13:18 (Ref:3125813)   #16
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerf1champ View Post
Ahh, I see they haven't included me yet! Lemme guess, Ayrton Senna is No1?

In all the years I've had an interest in motorsport, I rarely hear/read about what kind of a driver Sir Jack was. They talk about his engineering prowess, how he was an Aussie battler, the race at Sebring, but nothing about how good he was. Any insight from anyone? Maybe who, in the last 20 years, that he may've been closest to, as a driver and competitor?
He was good, but like many champions he just happened to have the right car at the right time. Rear engine was the way to go, and the Lotus 18 was too late to the party. Some people think Roy Salvadori may have been champ in '59 if he hadn't been honourable towards Aston Martin.

A real fighter, though. Good old Aussie grit. I don't think anyone begrudged him his wins, although IMHO he didn't have the real flair of the greats.
Old 27 Aug 2012, 13:41 (Ref:3125821)   #17
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
the Greatest F1 drivers

1. Fangio
2. Clark
2. Ascari
4. Moss
5. Senna
6. Stewart
7. Peterson
8. Schumacher
9. Prost
10. Alonso
11. Rindt
12. Lauda
13. G.Villeneuve
14. Hunt
15. Fittipaldi
16. Raikkonen
17. Hakkinen
18. Gurney
19. Brabham
20. Scheckter
Old 27 Aug 2012, 14:06 (Ref:3125828)   #18
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
Hmm... I don't normally get involved with these "Top 20s", but I have to say - some of those were better than Mario?

And where do you place Tony Brooks? How on earth do you rate him, when by his own admission he "raced" only when the circumstances were right?

These votes never work. Even Fangio used to wait till the last moment to sign a contract, just to make sure he was getting the best car in the field. Back to the old "right car at the right time" syndrome - viz Jenson Button, Phil Hill, Nigel Mansell... etc etc.
Old 27 Aug 2012, 14:38 (Ref:3125841)   #19
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
the Greatest F1 drivers

1. Fangio
2. Clark
2. Ascari
4. Moss
5. Senna
6. Stewart
7. Peterson
8. Schumacher
9. Prost
10. Alonso
11. Rindt
12. Lauda
13. G.Villeneuve
14. Hunt
15. Fittipaldi
16. Raikkonen
17. Hakkinen
18. Gurney
19. Brabham
20. Scheckter
No Nuvolari?
No Rudolf Caracciola?
No Achille Varzi?
No Bernd Rosmeyer?
No Nigel Mansell?

And as a left-field choice, Chris Amon.
Old 30 Aug 2012, 12:53 (Ref:3127371)   #20
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicanary View Post
He was good, but like many champions he just happened to have the right car at the right time. Rear engine was the way to go, and the Lotus 18 was too late to the party. Some people think Roy Salvadori may have been champ in '59 if he hadn't been honourable towards Aston Martin.

A real fighter, though. Good old Aussie grit. I don't think anyone begrudged him his wins, although IMHO he didn't have the real flair of the greats.
Yes, I've had this impression. Denny Hulme similar?
Old 30 Aug 2012, 13:36 (Ref:3127387)   #21
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerf1champ View Post
Yes, I've had this impression. Denny Hulme similar?
Agreed, with reservations. Denny could be really up for it some days, and on others he seemed to hold back somehow.

My reference to Roy Salvadori regards the fact that in 1957 and 58 he had actually out-performed Black Jack in WC events, even though Jack was part of the furniture at Coopers. So anoraks will say it was likely that HE would have been champ for Cooper in 59. All supposition.

Jack was a fighter, but although some reminiscences will say he indulged in "speedway" behaviour on corners, he was in no way a "dirty" driver. He was completely fair, but just used his extensive knowledge of dirttrack racing to extend his repertoire. Nobody ever put in a complaint, to my knowledge.
Old 29 Aug 2012, 13:54 (Ref:3126920)   #22
IceMan_PJN
Racer

United States
Ohio
IceMan_PJN has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by osrg View Post
More laughable would be having Jenson or Kimi above Alonso and Hamilton. If either make the top ten, the list is a joke.
Old 27 Aug 2012, 12:27 (Ref:3125785)   #23
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I have a suspicion we've done all this before.........
Old 27 Aug 2012, 13:17 (Ref:3125811)   #24
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I have a suspicion we've done all this before.........
A zillion times...
Old 27 Aug 2012, 13:36 (Ref:3125818)   #25
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Michael Schumacher is number 1 in every measure except for people's personal opinion... so maybe it should be phrased as 'your favourite Formula One driver' or something along those lines.
Closed Thread