Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 26 Apr 2005, 07:46 (Ref:1287647)   #1
Roundy Mooney
Veteran

Ireland
Roundy Mooney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mc Hale Retiring- Confirmed!

In an interview with John Kenny on RTE, Austin confirmed that 2005 will be his last year in rallying. Due to work commitments he said that he will going Rallycrossing in 2006, possibly in a Xsara WRC.
Old 26 Apr 2005, 09:08 (Ref:1287692)   #2
Horsebox
Rookie

Horsebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess the legend can't go on forever! Probably the most determined driver ever seen on the stages. Actually had the experience of sitting with him at the leinster trophy in Mondello in 1998 when Carlos was over. What a spin! I would be very surprised if he gave up if he didn't clinch the British championship this year, although he's made a damm good start!
Old 26 Apr 2005, 10:44 (Ref:1287761)   #3
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
THis all bodes well for rallycross though doesnt it, yet another driver coming over!
Think the days of a largely Irish based championship are not too far away as the guys over there seem to have money to burn and the guys over here cant compete with the money or the ability to come up with a championship worth its salt!!
Mondello really needs a ERC round now I feel
Old 26 Apr 2005, 19:33 (Ref:1288066)   #4
silver bullet
Race Official
RallyCross Legend and Scourge of Top Gear Presenters
Veteran

United Kingdom
silver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder
THis all bodes well for rallycross though doesnt it, yet another driver coming over!
Think the days of a largely Irish based championship are not too far away as the guys over there seem to have money to burn and the guys over here cant compete with the money or the ability to come up with a championship worth its salt!!
Mondello really needs a ERC round now I feel
There is a largely Irish based Championship its called the Irish Rallycross Championship.

It's great news for rallycross the amount of rally drivers turing to rallycross especially ones like Austin McHale. Also Steve Hill make his Rallycross debut at Croft next Monday.
I can see a lot more of the top UK & Irish rallycross drivers doing more European Championship events.

Last edited by silver bullet; 26 Apr 2005 at 19:39.
Old 26 Apr 2005, 20:56 (Ref:1288103)   #5
Steve Gibson
Racer

Steve Gibson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The gospel according to "Chunder"
It seems the "MSA British Rallycross Championship" is not worth it's salt
Last time you were having a go at the Rallycross Super series!
He does not realise that the Irish rallycross Championship is largely based in Ireland
Am I missing the point or does he actually not like Rallycross and /or anyone who is involved in it?

Last edited by Steve Gibson; 26 Apr 2005 at 20:57.
Old 26 Apr 2005, 22:01 (Ref:1288142)   #6
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
HAHAHAH, bless yer Steve.
What I am saying is that I imagine in a few years that the British championship will be based in Ireland as they dont seem to have the same problems as the two series do over here, For example they have a rally class which encourages rally drievrs to get involved with whatever car they want. And the tracks are good, the meetings well run (not an attack on the UK running BTW) and there are only a couple of them so trnsport is not such a problem. Back to basics sems the best way forward with the English scene in the state its in.
As for your jibes mate (!) I am a fan, have been involved on all sides, promotion,media,competing so I have a certain knowledge. And all I see is negative publicity, thats all. Please prove me wrong!!
Old 27 Apr 2005, 10:51 (Ref:1288417)   #7
silver bullet
Race Official
RallyCross Legend and Scourge of Top Gear Presenters
Veteran

United Kingdom
silver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Chunder at the moment the only negative voice I seem to be hearing is yours.
Ireland currently only have one rallycross circuit, if you see the future of rallycross in Britain as only one track which one would you have.
Old 27 Apr 2005, 13:32 (Ref:1288548)   #8
Cryos
Veteran

MagnetON
Cryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
HAHAHAH, bless yer Steve.
What I am saying is that I imagine in a few years that the British championship will be based in Ireland as they dont seem to have the same problems as the two series do over here, For example they have a rally class which encourages rally drievrs to get involved with whatever car they want. And the tracks are good, the meetings well run (not an attack on the UK running BTW) and there are only a couple of them so trnsport is not such a problem. Back to basics sems the best way forward with the English scene in the state its in.
As for your jibes mate (!) I am a fan, have been involved on all sides, promotion,media,competing so I have a certain knowledge. And all I see is negative publicity, thats all. Please prove me wrong!!
A British Championship Based in ireland think about what you have just said and bow your head in shame!! its obviously not a british championship in ireland is it!

It A.) Wouldnt be a way forward for the british championship becaues of the extra expences of crossing the water.

B.) It would be another irish championship

C.) Your off topic Get back on !!!

I will welcome austin into the irish championship with open arms and an autograph book of course

Ah sure he can relax now seing as gareth is defending the Prestigious name!

To keep the national IQ higher, we prevent links in the signatures. Its clearly in the notice, but that doesn't stop some people moaning about it..
Old 27 Apr 2005, 14:04 (Ref:1288563)   #9
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
If Austin does move to Rallycross it should give the sports profile a hefty boost which can only be a good thing.
Old 27 Apr 2005, 17:28 (Ref:1288714)   #10
M.Lowe
Veteran

M.Lowe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A few of the Irish boys said when they finish their careers they would like to take up Rallycross

This is the best news since Big Pat Doran retired from the stages and came into Rallycross

Last edited by M.Lowe; 27 Apr 2005 at 17:28.
Old 27 Apr 2005, 18:50 (Ref:1288783)   #11
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Oh dear, so i am only allowed to say anthing off topic if it doesnt happen to meld with the majority view.
Is easy to pick faults when you look through rose tinted glasses!! I was expanding on the topic and if that is a sin then woe betide three quarters of the posters in here!!
I mean the various championships (!) in britain would cease to be and would go over the Ireland, its the same as world series baseball mate. The mainland drivers would still go over, just compete in ireland. Makes sense actually, P and O tend to do good deals for the transporters and stuff and the crack is better over there anyway, gotta be better than Pembre or Blyton! Two more bleak places I have yet to go to, and I have been to a few!
Old 27 Apr 2005, 19:31 (Ref:1288829)   #12
grasser26
Rookie

Wales
West Wales
grasser26 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Oh dear, so i am only allowed to say anthing off topic if it doesnt happen to meld with the majority view.
Is easy to pick faults when you look through rose tinted glasses!! I was expanding on the topic and if that is a sin then woe betide three quarters of the posters in here!!
I mean the various championships (!) in britain would cease to be and would go over the Ireland, its the same as world series baseball mate. The mainland drivers would still go over, just compete in ireland. Makes sense actually, P and O tend to do good deals for the transporters and stuff and the crack is better over there anyway, gotta be better than Pembre or Blyton! Two more bleak places I have yet to go to, and I have been to a few!
Just a quick question whats wrong with Pembrey? Take note of country flag and location before answering
Old 12 May 2005, 07:13 (Ref:1298918)   #13
P.Cummins
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
P.Cummins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm delighted to see that Austin is still planning on being involved in motorsports. Its quite a good thing to leave rallying at this point. He is still a top driver on the stages but he doesn't have it easy so it is sensible to retire when you're at the top rather than when you are way behind the field. I'm not saying that would happen to Austin but we all know about how drivers pass their prime.
I'm not a rallycross fan for the simple reason that I've never been to a rallycross. The videos I have watched with clips of rallycross were amazing. Will Gollop in a little Metro and Ford RS200's. But, I don't know enough to labeled a "fan". Nevertheless, I'm hoping that Austin can once again be top of the league in 2006.
Old 12 May 2005, 09:43 (Ref:1299017)   #14
Horsebox
Rookie

Horsebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's great to see Austin heading to rallycross, i haven't been to the rallycross in a while but the sight of Mchale behind the wheel of a 500 bhp Xsara would have me queing at the gate the night before! Xsara would be the likely option, he probably has close links with McCloskey as John bought McHales Celica ST165 from him. It would be a massive coup for rallycross and bound to help the crowds return. If we could get McKinstry back out there to it'd be some job! Rallycross would suit McHale down to the ground aswell, max attack from the word go, no quarter asked for and by god no quarter given!
Old 12 May 2005, 13:01 (Ref:1299156)   #15
Cryos
Veteran

MagnetON
Cryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
And what run a supream irish championship spread over 10 rounds at mondello? are you mad or something ? theres 3 rallycross tracks in the entireity of ireland 1 in the south and 2 in the north.

Chunder you obviously dont understand the transportation logistics of having a championship that is not in your own country, sure at first people will travel over but they will start to get sick of the traveling expenses. At the moment there are lads out there that can just about afford to race in rallycross. You have not weighed up good thought with viability.

back on topic

It most definatly would raise the profile of the irish championship big time if most of our drivers who have been roumered to join the championship do, perhaps all the rally nuts will follow them and come to rallycross events!

To keep the national IQ higher, we prevent links in the signatures. Its clearly in the notice, but that doesn't stop some people moaning about it..
Old 12 May 2005, 19:27 (Ref:1299405)   #16
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Oh dear some people do et rather uppity dont they.
All I am saying is that in the main class the only people seemingly able to compete are Irish, the likes of Evans, McKluskey, Carnegie, Gibson and also maybe Holfeld Nesbitt and McHale. Onl reall Gollop and Doran in with a sou of winning from UK.
Whatever you think of m posts on here you have to agree the Irish seem more interested in investing in top notch cars than the English. So why not cut the costs for those guys, but then again they don seem to fussed about cost anyway!
Maybe you could set up an Irish Rallycross SS!!
Old 12 May 2005, 19:45 (Ref:1299418)   #17
peespeed
Racer

Ireland
Carlow, Ireland
peespeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think what chunder is trying to say is that the Irish RallyX Championship may get bigger and better than the BRxC or the RSS due to the fact we seem to have more competitive cars in the Supercar class.
RallyX in the UK has been in a topsy turvy position for the last few years and the Irish c/ship has stabalised a little bit, I know there have been problems but with On the Limit covering the Irish series I feel that it can only get better.
With the difference between the €uro and sterling at the moment it may actually be more cost efficient for competitors to come over here, just a pity that more of them dont live close to the ferry ports
Old 12 May 2005, 22:14 (Ref:1299502)   #18
golfvanman
Racer

golfvanman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sorry to prove you wrong again chunder but its stenna line that provides the deals to travel to ireland not p&o .

as for your point of the bleakness of pembrey and blyton how can you make comment when you have never even attended ?

"it seems the irish are more interested in investing in top notch cars than the english "
remind me how many irish cars in supermodified class ......... are you trying to say that the supermodified cars are not top notch ............what about a certain 2WD yes 2WD lotus exige parked on the front row of the superfinal at mondello .......is that not top notch............£80K for a certain RWD peugeot 206........is that not top notch............400bhp mid engined renault clio.......is that not top notch.............ex Kriss Meeke ford puma super 1600..........is that not top notch...........£75K BMW mini fully spaceframed with 280bhp dunnell motor......is that not top notch..........Rover metro fitted with a Judd MG touring car motor........is that not top notch.....2.4 millington diamond powered rear wheel drive fiesta...........do i need to carry on or do you get the point
Old 13 May 2005, 07:41 (Ref:1299674)   #19
Roundy Mooney
Veteran

Ireland
Chunder not the only one who could be proved wrong on a couple of things.

"it seems the irish are more interested in investing in top notch cars than the english "
remind me how many irish cars in supermodified class ......... are you trying to say that the supermodified cars are not top notch ............what about a certain 2WD yes 2WD lotus exige parked on the front row of the superfinal at mondello .(and the certain Nova that Finished ahead of it and now leads the championship!!)......is that not top notch............£80K for a certain RWD peugeot 206...(which had a slower time in the final than the leading stock hatch, seem to remember a the same sort of money being spent on a little yellow micra).....is that not top notch............400bhp mid engined renault clio...(Quick car, Driver?)....is that not top notch.............ex Kriss Meeke ford puma super 1600....(Presume this is Johnathan Greer from N.Ireland)......is that not top notch......I could carry on but you get the point !!.....£75K BMW mini fully spaceframed with 280bhp dunnell motor......is that not top notch..........Rover metro fitted with a Judd MG touring car motor........is that not top notch.....2.4 millington diamond powered rear wheel drive fiesta...........do i need to carry on or do you get the point.

All tongue in cheek of course
Old 13 May 2005, 07:59 (Ref:1299688)   #20
golfvanman
Racer

golfvanman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if you read my point properly i was trying to point out that i dont agree that its only the irish supercars that are 'top notch cars' but if want to use this site to diss other driver well that your oppinion. yes a certain nova finished ahead of the lotus ( a car formerly owned by Mr Bellerby) he also finished ahead of me in the B final and which part of the british championship is he now leading ??????????????
Old 13 May 2005, 08:32 (Ref:1299705)   #21
Roundy Mooney
Veteran

Ireland
1 1 Dermot Carnegie 25 30 55 55
2 2 Lawrence Gibson 27 25 52 52
3 46 Pat Doran 21 27 48 48
4 16 George Tracey 23 18 41 41
5 9 Steve Mundy 16 23 39 39
6 85 Michael Coyne 13 21 34 34
7 3 John McCluskey 18 13 31 31
8 28 Will Gollop 30 0 30 30
9 26 Mike Sellar 15 12 27 27
10 13 Kevin Procter 0 19 19 19

MSA British Championship Table Coyne is top supermodified ? Presume I'm looking at it right.

I don't see where anyone was saying that the supermodified class in the BRDA rounds isn't top notch. But the facts are that the majority of the top Supercar drivers are from Ireland and it looks like there are one or two more on the way. As much as it pains me to say it thought I think Gollop is the one to beat at the moment when he is out and the car holds together. But as you say thats only an opnion.
Old 13 May 2005, 10:51 (Ref:1299794)   #22
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxie
A British Championship Based in ireland think about what you have just said and bow your head in shame!! its obviously not a british championship in ireland is it!
Er. Actually it would. It works because all of the islands make up "The British Isles". But "politically" speaking you make a good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxie

C.) Your off topic Get back on !!!
Another good point.
Old 13 May 2005, 11:00 (Ref:1299803)   #23
Cryos
Veteran

MagnetON
Quote:
Oh dear some people do et rather uppity dont they.
All I am saying is that in the main class the only people seemingly able to compete are Irish, the likes of Evans, McKluskey, Carnegie, Gibson and also maybe Holfeld Nesbitt and McHale. Onl reall Gollop and Doran in with a sou of winning from UK.
Whatever you think of m posts on here you have to agree the Irish seem more interested in investing in top notch cars than the English. So why not cut the costs for those guys, but then again they don seem to fussed about cost anyway!
Maybe you could set up an Irish Rallycross SS!!
Ill step in here again as regards Irish Rallycross Super Series.

We looked at running a championship, financilly viable and we had a strong list of drivers however there are no more rallycross dates allocated. Carlow and Kildare clubs both apply for more events than they get however this year they got 6 between them, and 4 allocated for other championships.

As regards pricing of cars, in another thread there was some comment made about factory super 16 cars being 60k Sterling which is true, however these are proven cars which have been developed to the fullest, would you rather buy a Super 1600 class winning car for €25,000 off Peugeot Sport or Citroen Sport or would you rather spend an overwhelming £90,000 pounds on building an amature built team car ?

I think Michael's Audi TT is the best example of how things should be done! A number of reasons!

Basically michael has a very competitive car that in relitive terms must be one of the most efficent use of Modern Technology around. Instead of going out and building a Normally Aspirated Engine and tuning the nuts off it and not getting very much BHP out of it not to mention putting a bomb under your bank manager, he has gone for a Turbo Based engine.

Easy Powergain + cost effective build = a formula for sucsess

Who needs touring car based nissan engines in their modified cars to be fast, just stick a Lancer Evo engine or some form of turbocharged standard production engine in and there ya go your on the pace!

We have been able to drastically cut costs with our Polo because its A Diesel so you dont need any form of rocket fuel! (altho we do use a hybrid commercial diesel) and there is no major costs in tuning the engine we litterally can go to the most powerfull Audi/volkswagen diesel engine rob the turbo from it and there we go. atm were looking at getting between 250-320 bhp and 500-650 Ftlb torque.

The irish rallycross and rallying scene always seemed to me to have a higher profile than the british, when push comes to shove the irish will stick with it and come out on top.

Warning, what follows is a rant and does not necessarily represent the opinions of Ten-Tenths.
(To be honest, it probably doesn't even represent the opinions of the poster when they aren't ranting.)

Ireland at the moment is very away of its motorsport and Motorsport Heritage, altho not entirely recgonised for any perticular form of motorsport (with the exeption of our vast selection of Rally Machinery), the gov has seen what a lucrative market motorsport is and have committed to try get WRC in ireland! Unlike the UK where it just seems that its going mad with WRC with speeding fines, penaltys and stuff.

We now return you to our normal ramblings.

Thats all i have to say

Old 13 May 2005, 11:06 (Ref:1299808)   #24
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As we are off topic for a bit. The Irish heritage also stretches back to the early days of motorsport when (and I know we are talking NI) Dundrod ran the TT plus another circuit that escapes me at the moment.

But road races were the bread and butter for the country so rallying is a natural progression.

Yes the UK does seem to be applying the wrong rules to rallying at the moment but then again that isn't the point of this thread and Mr McHale might be annoyed if we don't get back to discussing him.
Old 13 May 2005, 14:17 (Ref:1299951)   #25
Stevie A
Racer

United Kingdom
Leicestershire
Stevie A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If McHale comes into rallycross, the best answer from the British is to persuade Jonny Milner back into the sport..........he'd take the fight to the Irish rally drivers!!