Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 13 Nov 2012, 19:59 (Ref:3165989)   #301
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Strange things happen in that Island...
Old 13 Nov 2012, 21:13 (Ref:3166010)   #302
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicanary View Post
The stupid thing is, they say in the blurb that he is considered by many as the greatest racing driver of all time, but of course being the Beeb he's not as far as they're concerned.

When it comes to Senna, there are a lot of brown tongues out there. Must have been chewing licquorice.
The one thing you need to remember is that, in a similar way to the DOTR threads, I won't necessarily agree with you and you won't necessarily agree with him or her and they won't agree with them next door and so on and so on because it all depends on your interpretation of the word 'great' or 'greatest'. I love licorice, by the way, but it has absolutely nothing to do with my choice.
Old 13 Nov 2012, 21:40 (Ref:3166029)   #303
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
The stupid thing is, they say in the blurb that he is considered by many as the greatest racing driver of all time, but of course being the Beeb he's not as far as they're concerned.

When it comes to Senna, there are a lot of brown tongues out there. Must have been chewing licquorice.
People swoon over Senna the way they do over a pop star... so I can understand why their opinion would part company from fact. But I guess given recent events we also shouldn't be surprised if the Beeb has similar confusion in differentiating fantasy from reality
Old 13 Nov 2012, 21:59 (Ref:3166037)   #304
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
People swoon over Senna the way they do over a pop star... so I can understand why their opinion would part company from fact. But I guess given recent events we also shouldn't be surprised if the Beeb has similar confusion in differentiating fantasy from reality
Don't get me wrong, I'd never cast aspersions on Senna's brilliance - he's one of the greatest without a doubt. And the wonderful Sid Watkins rated him as a person, so maybe there was more to him "behind the scenes". I just can't forgive him for some of the "stuff", if you know what I mean.

He made Schumi look saintly at times. There was no need - he was good enough to win without doing that; Fangio would have shaken his head in disbelief and sadness.
Old 13 Nov 2012, 22:54 (Ref:3166066)   #305
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I'd never cast aspersions on Senna's brilliance - he's one of the greatest without a doubt. And the wonderful Sid Watkins rated him as a person, so maybe there was more to him "behind the scenes". I just can't forgive him for some of the "stuff", if you know what I mean.

He made Schumi look saintly at times. There was no need - he was good enough to win without doing that; Fangio would have shaken his head in disbelief and sadness.
Senna was a man of honour, and once his code was violated, the gloves were off. The FIA was a nasty organisation subject to hideous political manipulations, which often targetted Senna, and he responded! The pole in Japan being the most obvious.

As for Schu, I always felt that Senna was responsible for "bringing him up" and it was a hard school!

These individuals are winners and can not be expected to accept injustices gracefully!
Old 13 Nov 2012, 23:02 (Ref:3166069)   #306
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

I agree with you mostly, I never liked him, his attitude, until the day he died and later that night I started to know things about him "behind the scenes" and a new "Senna" grew on me...

I'm still not his fan, but I do respect to him now. And believe me, I know what I'm talking about.

And regarding his racing skills, there are still many things that is amazing about him. Problably, IMHO, he's the greatest driver in F1 history so far... "greatest" meaning the whole racer/man persona in a single racer.

(It's pretty much like Elvis Presley and Michael Jackson in music)
Old 13 Nov 2012, 23:10 (Ref:3166073)   #307
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Oh, and Fangio never shaked his head to Senna's actions...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQITOb3vLB0
Old 14 Nov 2012, 11:16 (Ref:3166219)   #308
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
But I guess given recent events we also shouldn't be surprised if the Beeb has similar confusion in differentiating fantasy from reality
Just what I was thinking.
Old 14 Nov 2012, 15:32 (Ref:3166290)   #309
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Senna was a man of honour, and once his code was violated, the gloves were off. The FIA was a nasty organisation subject to hideous political manipulations, which often targetted Senna, and he responded! The pole in Japan being the most obvious.

As for Schu, I always felt that Senna was responsible for "bringing him up" and it was a hard school!

These individuals are winners and can not be expected to accept injustices gracefully!
But to retaliate is to me a sign of immaturity, and the racetrack is too dangerous a place for that.

I really can't imagine Fangio behaving like that. or Moss, or Clark, or Stewart...........
Old 14 Nov 2012, 16:10 (Ref:3166299)   #310
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
This will surely mean Ayrton Senna at no. 1
Dirtiest F1 driver of all time maybe, rivalled only by TGF. It's a shame that he did not compete in the era of greats such as Alan Jones and Mario Andretti, who wouldn't have taken that sort of **** from anyone. They might have taught him basic track manners.
Old 14 Nov 2012, 19:37 (Ref:3166364)   #311
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive Brown View Post
Dirtiest F1 driver of all time maybe, rivalled only by TGF. It's a shame that he did not compete in the era of greats such as Alan Jones and Mario Andretti, who wouldn't have taken that sort of **** from anyone. They might have taught him basic track manners.
Yes sure, if they had gotten anywhere near him on track in the first place. For that to happen they would likely have had to pull dirty tricks too, as great drivers as they both were in F1, they simply wouldn't have been able to challenge him on pace.
Old 14 Nov 2012, 22:43 (Ref:3166436)   #312
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

It's always about love and passion... I love F1 !
Old 14 Nov 2012, 23:34 (Ref:3166454)   #313
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
I agree with you mostly, I never liked him, his attitude, until the day he died and later that night I started to know things about him "behind the scenes" and a new "Senna" grew on me...

I'm still not his fan, but I do respect to him now. And believe me, I know what I'm talking about.

And regarding his racing skills, there are still many things that is amazing about him. Problably, IMHO, he's the greatest driver in F1 history so far... "greatest" meaning the whole racer/man persona in a single racer.

This is a great post, that says it all for me.......
Old 15 Nov 2012, 02:17 (Ref:3166493)   #314
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Well, that's also debatable.

Popular, they may have been. Not so sure about their musicianship. Each to his own, and all that.
Old 15 Nov 2012, 13:33 (Ref:3166647)   #315
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Well, that's also debatable.

Popular, they may have been. Not so sure about their musicianship. Each to his own, and all that.
That's it ! Exactly the point !
Old 15 Nov 2012, 16:40 (Ref:3166722)   #316
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Senna was a man of honour, and once his code was violated, the gloves were off.
That's not how "honour" works.
Old 15 Nov 2012, 16:46 (Ref:3166726)   #317
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That presupposes that 'honour' (however you interpret the word) is a prerequisite for the 'greatest' F1 driver....
Old 15 Nov 2012, 17:00 (Ref:3166730)   #318
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've always been a great fan of Senna's but I wouldn't put him top of a list of the greatest of all time because there were better and more successful drivers... it's as simple as that.
Old 15 Nov 2012, 18:31 (Ref:3166754)   #319
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
People are mesmerised by Senna's Latin mystique and he got away with much more. It's hard for an efficient German ace to be on par with that.

I rate Senna though and if he isn't the best, he's up there. The top aces of 50's and 60's rate higher than both Schumacher and Senna. The mortality rate was phenomenal, the cars were treacherous and to dance with death like that takes another level of courage whilst demanding a high standard of on-track etiquette. That's a real metric for talent above the technical accomplishment of simply ratcheting up a bunch of stats or the acquisition of wealth.
Old 15 Nov 2012, 19:10 (Ref:3166767)   #320
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
People are mesmerised by Senna's Latin mystique and he got away with much more. It's hard for an efficient German ace to be on par with that.

I rate Senna though and if he isn't the best, he's up there. The top aces of 50's and 60's rate higher than both Schumacher and Senna. The mortality rate was phenomenal, the cars were treacherous and to dance with death like that takes another level of courage whilst demanding a high standard of on-track etiquette. That's a real metric for talent above the technical accomplishment of simply ratcheting up a bunch of stats or the acquisition of wealth.
Latin mystique... I have yet to find what it means.
Old 15 Nov 2012, 19:19 (Ref:3166770)   #321
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Latin mystique
Isn't that a perfume of some sort?
Old 15 Nov 2012, 19:53 (Ref:3166785)   #322
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post

I don't think I would class either Senna's or Schumacher's accomplishments as 'simple' technical ones.....
Old 15 Nov 2012, 21:35 (Ref:3166826)   #323
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I don't think I would class either Senna's or Schumacher's accomplishments as 'simple' technical ones.....
Agreed... and furthermore, 'ratcheting up a bunch of stats' is what happens when you win races - lots of them - and as we've been told many times by drivers down through the years, winning isn't everything, it's the only thing... so much so that many lost their lives in it's quest.
Old 15 Nov 2012, 22:28 (Ref:3166851)   #324
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Maybe for the ones who never watched them happening...
Old 16 Nov 2012, 00:49 (Ref:3166897)   #325
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I didn't say that though.