Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 9 Apr 2016, 10:35 (Ref:3631439)   #401
DeezPutz
Racer

DeezPutz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDeezPutz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Instead of complaining about the name of the class now we're complaining about the looks, and no one has seen them yet.

That's progress!

The new cars will look fine. As just a fan who attends races, it will be nice to have something to look forward to seeing in person next year. They can't possibly be any uglier than 1/3 of the LMP1 class.
Old 9 Apr 2016, 10:36 (Ref:3631440)   #402
DeezPutz
Racer

DeezPutz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDeezPutz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Yeah, the Corvette DP looks incredible.
In comparison to what they replaced. It was a low bar.
Old 9 Apr 2016, 11:27 (Ref:3631450)   #403
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Yeah, the Corvette DP looks incredible.
I know right, now they look like a 5/10 instead of 0,5/10.
Old 9 Apr 2016, 11:48 (Ref:3631456)   #404
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
As soon as GM/P&M got involved, the Gen3 Corvette DP, the car looked great. So that dog don't hunt! The DPis should look just fine since the OEMs are directly involved.
The Gen3s do look like real cars designed by actual designers and all ... I grant you that.

(After some thought (something I like to do at least once a week) it occurs to me that even the non-factory (?) Gen3s were better ... because Grand Am allowed narrower cockpits. The Rileys look about as good as the "Corvettes" IMO.)

I could even find some angles from which to view the Gen2 cars whence they didn’t look terrible ... mostly with my back turned. But I mentioned “previous generations” ... Please don’t make me hurt us all by posting a pic of the Picchio (http://www.racingsportscars.com/phot...-10-09-040.jpg)

But as DeezPutz notes ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeezPutz View Post
In comparison to what they replaced. It was a low bar.
Hard to argue that the Gen3 was not worlds better than the Gen2 (in looks ... thought the aero was worse so the car was slower )

Quote:
Instead of complaining about the name of the class now we're complaining about the looks, and no one has seen them yet. That's progress!
Here at Ten-Tenths, we are all about progress ... and personal growth.

Quote:
They can't possibly be any uglier than 1/3 of the LMP1 class.
The P1s are designed to go fast. The Gen3s are designed to look good (straight-up truth ... unless someone wants to argue that GM told the designers, “Make this car look vaguely like some Corvette, ... but make it really ugly, to help sales.”)

If P1 designers cared what the cars looked like, they might look a lot better.

When DP1s start beating LMP1s we can discuss the relative appearances.

I hope the DPis look decent. Doesn't Really matter ... I watch racing to see racing. If I wanted to go to auto shows and see pretty cars sitting still, I would do that.

(I have Steve McQueen's Le Mans on my DVR as a constant reminder that breathtakingly beautiful cars can be breathtakingly fast ... just to remind myself that devolution is real.)

Last edited by Maelochs; 9 Apr 2016 at 12:06.
Old 9 Apr 2016, 17:26 (Ref:3631503)   #405
YZFrider
Racer

YZFrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridYZFrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm of the opinon of form follows function. I don't care if they look ugly so long as they're fast. Something to excite the senses. Would it help if they looked great? Absolutley. Why it took so long for Gen 3 DP's beats me. DPs historically were ugly and SLOOOOWWW.
Old 9 Apr 2016, 20:44 (Ref:3631583)   #406
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah those GT1 wannabes Corvettes look great. Wish they were a real street car right. The should just bring 90' GT1 back.

However I think it's written the new DPi are designed not to look like GT cars.
They will probably look like P2 cars with some things added to them.
Old 9 Apr 2016, 21:01 (Ref:3631585)   #407
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
But ESM does plan on running the HPD in the IWSC.
No they don't. That relationship is dead.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 9 Apr 2016, 21:35 (Ref:3631588)   #408
DeezPutz
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
(I have Steve McQueen's Le Mans on my DVR as a constant reminder that breathtakingly beautiful cars can be breathtakingly fast ... just to remind myself that devolution is real.)
You sit around watching a subpar movie. This explains so much.
Old 9 Apr 2016, 21:51 (Ref:3631591)   #409
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Cool story bro!

Who needs Saturday Night Live when you can get comedy right here. Though I always preferred MAD TV over SNL =)
Old 10 Apr 2016, 01:28 (Ref:3631611)   #410
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
No they don't. That relationship is dead.
Really?

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/es...der-of-tpnaec/
Old 10 Apr 2016, 13:23 (Ref:3631706)   #411
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I strongly suggest you stop watching movies and learn to read.

I like the movie Le Mans because I like the cars.

Steve McQueen originally intended it to be a documentary, but the studio realized it needed a plot to earn back even a fraction of its enormous cost, so they stuck one in there ... happily it does not interfere with teh racign scenes.

If you don't like watching Porsche 917s, Ferrari 512Ss, Lola T70s and (I think) Matra 630s at speed, on track, and not just any track, but at Le mans ... well, that's fine. We have different tastes.
Old 10 Apr 2016, 13:47 (Ref:3631712)   #412
Deleted
Veteran

I think it still has more meaningful story and character arc than the conveyor belt comic book movies today. Which in a way, have the same structure, you know light story stuffed around two hour effect storm... but instead of real things on screen like McQueen had, it's fake nauseating CGI crap all around now.
Old 10 Apr 2016, 15:23 (Ref:3631719)   #413
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
In terms of running the Honda P2 car yes. Using the HPD engine is going to continue as Nissan cannot build more engines as it currently stands.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 10 Apr 2016, 16:02 (Ref:3631727)   #414
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
In terms of running the Honda P2 car yes. Using the HPD engine is going to continue as Nissan cannot build more engines as it currently stands.
The conversation was about the engine that would be used, not the ARX-04b, RIF.

L.P.
Old 10 Apr 2016, 16:29 (Ref:3631732)   #415
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
Quote:
The conversation was about the engine that would be used, not the ARX-04b, RIF.
When you said "running the HPD" I assumed you meant the 04. Not just the engine.

And what is RIF?
Old 10 Apr 2016, 17:05 (Ref:3631736)   #416
Deleted
Veteran

IMSA propaganda has probably just worked through.

Onroak-Ligier-JSP2-Honda LMP2 = Honda Prototype
SMP-BR01-Nissan LMP2 = Nissan Prototype
Oreca-05-Nissan LMP2 = Nissan Prototype
Lola-B12/80-Multimatic-Mazda LMP2 = Mazda Prototype
Dallara-Corvette DP = Chevrolet Corvette DP
Coyote-Corvette DP = Chevrolet Corvette DP
Riley-MKXXVI-Ford DP = Ford Ecoboost DP

Last edited by Deleted; 10 Apr 2016 at 17:10.
Old 10 Apr 2016, 17:40 (Ref:3631742)   #417
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
When you said "running the HPD" I assumed you meant the 04. Not just the engine.

And what is RIF?
Reading Is Fundamental as McGruff would say.

L.P.
Old 10 Apr 2016, 20:48 (Ref:3631761)   #418
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
IMSA propaganda has probably just worked through.

Onroak-Ligier-JSP2-Honda LMP2 = Honda Prototype
SMP-BR01-Nissan LMP2 = Nissan Prototype
Oreca-05-Nissan LMP2 = Nissan Prototype
Lola-B12/80-Multimatic-Mazda LMP2 = Mazda Prototype
Dallara-Corvette DP = Chevrolet Corvette DP
Coyote-Corvette DP = Chevrolet Corvette DP
Riley-MKXXVI-Ford DP = Ford Ecoboost DP
Quite true.
Old 14 Apr 2016, 16:33 (Ref:3632682)   #419
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Moving towards managing a DPi project?.....

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2016/0...udi-sport.html

L.P.
Old 14 Apr 2016, 18:33 (Ref:3632716)   #420
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
What is this I can't even

Yes, that's it. There's literally no other explanation other than moving to DP.

picardfacepalm.jpeg.
Old 14 Apr 2016, 20:39 (Ref:3632769)   #421
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
What is this I can't even

Yes, that's it. There's literally no other explanation other than moving to DP.

picardfacepalm.jpeg.
There are many explanations for this, but her recent experience is in the prototype realm and the only whispers of Bentley and prototype has been their interest in DPi. So it is certainly not out of the question for her to be spearheading a Bentley DPi project among the other motorsport managerial duties she will have within Bentley.

L.P.
Old 14 Apr 2016, 20:53 (Ref:3632773)   #422
Deleted
Veteran

Why would you need prototype experience, and certainly her line of expertise in race engineering, in environment of performance balanced bodyworks glued on top of some spec cars made by other manufacturers, and races where FCYs and pit rules make strategy secondary matter? Seems like wasted talent.

I really think it's just some general Bentley management background role, giving higher end orders to people.
Old 14 Apr 2016, 22:16 (Ref:3632791)   #423
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
There are many explanations for this, but her recent experience is in the prototype realm and the only whispers of Bentley and prototype has been their interest in DPi. So it is certainly not out of the question for her to be spearheading a Bentley DPi project among the other motorsport managerial duties she will have within Bentley.
Bentley DPi is not happening anytime soon. The way things are going IMSA is going to have to drop the custom bodywork for 2017 just to keep all three current manufacturers involved.
Old 14 Apr 2016, 22:31 (Ref:3632794)   #424
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
There's various points where LMP1 and DPI, and being a customer sport manager vs race engineer differ, and Leena's job at Bentley, quoting DSC's article, doesn't involve "future" program, which I'm betting that a DPI program would be a "future program" if it happens.
Old 15 Apr 2016, 00:58 (Ref:3632800)   #425
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
There's various points where LMP1 and DPI, and being a customer sport manager vs race engineer differ, and Leena's job at Bentley, quoting DSC's article, doesn't involve "future" program, which I'm betting that a DPI program would be a "future program" if it happens.
It also states it's not for Msport (GT), so what other Motorsport effort is Bentley involved in? None! So......

L.P.