Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 4 Feb 2004, 13:57 (Ref:862700)   #1
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Teams And Drivers To Watch In 04

Well, the first tests are over in Homestead, and while it maybe early, I was wondering which drivers and teams we should be looking to, to come out on top?

The Red Bull team did very well, in Homestead, with top speed going to Alex Barron, and third to teamate Carpenter. Will they be a force in the regular season?

Bryan Herta, was a surprise coming in second. He's driving the fourth AGR car, which is supposed to be a developmental car, hence my surprise.

The other top guys came out well, Hornish, Castroneves, and Kannan.

Any thoughts?

PS- By the way, its only 24 days/23 hours/4 min's/ and 23 sec, until race day!(The clock is on there web site)
Old 4 Feb 2004, 14:48 (Ref:862767)   #2
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that when you pronounce names like Andretti, Penske, Ganassi you gonna have few doubts about seeing them among the favourites.
I'm happy to add Cheever to that list, without forgetting Panther, whose setup skills are very well known, and Morris Nunn, who seem, with a switch to a fulltime Dallara chassis, to have progressed meaningfully.
Many names?
Yes, I put among the fav most of current drivers, but that's what makes me hope for a very spectacular season.
Old 4 Feb 2004, 19:35 (Ref:863060)   #3
jenna
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
jenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kanaan. he was my pick last year, it didn't quite work out but i think he proved he has what it takes. keep your eyes on him this year...
Old 4 Feb 2004, 19:58 (Ref:863082)   #4
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
and the whole AGR team. I'm hoping that Dan Wheldon will take a win this year
Old 4 Feb 2004, 23:27 (Ref:863371)   #5
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Trying to predict who will do good in this years championship is like trying to predict what the next winning number on the PowerBall lottery will be - can't wait for the season to get started!
Old 5 Feb 2004, 00:52 (Ref:863474)   #6
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with you guys, there are alot of drivers and teams, that should really be getting after it this season.

Dixon should have quite a fight on his hands.

Danica Patrick
Old 5 Feb 2004, 02:03 (Ref:863525)   #7
MLM
Veteran

MLM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK, some people may think I'm smoking crack (LOL) but I think Schekter might make some waves this season.
He kept it ptetty much off the wall last year (MUCH MORE than he did in 2002! ). If anything, TS might have been TOO cautious/careful last year.
However, if he can find the balance between agressiveness and using his head, then we might be hearing quite a bit from Mr. Shcekter.

Last edited by MLM; 5 Feb 2004 at 02:04.
Old 5 Feb 2004, 02:34 (Ref:863541)   #8
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Quote:
Originally posted by MLM
OK, some people may think I'm smoking crack (LOL) but I think Schekter might make some waves this season.
He kept it ptetty much off the wall last year (MUCH MORE than he did in 2002! ). If anything, TS might have been TOO cautious/careful last year.
However, if he can find the balance between agressiveness and using his head, then we might be hearing quite a bit from Mr. Shcekter.
So thats why your so happy all the time!

Well, Tomas made Autosports Top 50 Drivers List this year, so somebody else thinks he's pretty good to!
Old 5 Feb 2004, 09:04 (Ref:863723)   #9
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One important factor to consider is that, from what we can see, Honda and "Chevy" engine will expectably be a stronger challenge for Toyota.
Thus, teams like Cheever or Panther will be able to speak loud since the very beginning of the season.
Old 5 Feb 2004, 11:52 (Ref:863890)   #10
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Herta's development car will probably tend to have newer, faster but less proven components, so I wouldn't be surprised if he has more reliability defects than most.

I think the top 10 will probably consist of both Penkses, both Ganassis, 3 AGRs, Scheckter, Takagi and Barron. ALl this depends on injruies of course.
Old 5 Feb 2004, 13:39 (Ref:864036)   #11
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
Herta's development car will probably tend to have newer, faster but less proven components, so I wouldn't be surprised if he has more reliability defects than most.

I think the top 10 will probably consist of both Penkses, both Ganassis, 3 AGRs, Scheckter, Takagi and Barron. ALl this depends on injruies of course.
First, for the drivers sake, lets hope for an injury free season, and second, who wants to give the IRL haters out there, more ammunition to discount the series?

I have high hopes for Herta also, but you are probably right, he will have more DNF's, because it is a developmental car.
Old 5 Feb 2004, 14:07 (Ref:864077)   #12
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would be surprised if we were to have an injury free season (just being realistic), but hopefully it will be limited to not-so-serious ones.

Speaking of injuries, I recently compiled a list of Champ Car injuries between 1996 and 2003, and while the numbers obviously doesn't come close to the ones in the IRL, it's still a rather grim read.

And before some diehard Champ Car fan comes in swinging, the reason I compiled the list was that I wanted to learn what sort of injuries there have been in Champ Cars - the whole safety debate over the past couple of months have been real good at listing all the injuries suffered by IRL drivers, but I haven't seen any listings of injuries suffered in Champ Car races (hence me looking into it).
Old 6 Feb 2004, 12:01 (Ref:865337)   #13
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
All I meant by that was that in 2003 Giaffone and Franchitti were expected to finish top 10, but ended up missing too many races. Of course no one wants to see injuries, but they are more common in this form of racing,a dn will affect the standings.
Old 6 Feb 2004, 12:05 (Ref:865343)   #14
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
All I meant by that was that in 2003 Giaffone and Franchitti were expected to finish top 10, but ended up missing too many races. Of course no one wants to see injuries, but they are more common in this form of racing,a dn will affect the standings.
Can't blame Franchitti's injuries on the racing though.
Old 6 Feb 2004, 13:42 (Ref:865423)   #15
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Quote:
Originally posted by rustyfan
I would be surprised if we were to have an injury free season (just being realistic), but hopefully it will be limited to not-so-serious ones.

Speaking of injuries, I recently compiled a list of Champ Car injuries between 1996 and 2003, and while the numbers obviously doesn't come close to the ones in the IRL, it's still a rather grim read.

And before some diehard Champ Car fan comes in swinging, the reason I compiled the list was that I wanted to learn what sort of injuries there have been in Champ Cars - the whole safety debate over the past couple of months have been real good at listing all the injuries suffered by IRL drivers, but I haven't seen any listings of injuries suffered in Champ Car races (hence me looking into it).
I don't blame you for compiling a list, rusty. It gets old listening to everyone bash the IRL on safety.

Renna's tragic accident, and Bracks awful one to, would not have turned out differently, if they had been driving Champ Cars. Mario's high-flying Indy Car, would have been a high-flying Champ Car, had he been driving one.

High-speed oval racing is just inherently dangerous, no matter which open wheel car is driving it. And like Boots said, injuries are more common.
Old 6 Feb 2004, 22:30 (Ref:865854)   #16
jenna
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by Down F0rce
and the whole AGR team. I'm hoping that Dan Wheldon will take a win this year
yeah me too, Wheldon was looking great by the end of last season, he could well do it this year..
i think it will be interesting at the top though, i would say it will be a bit of a battle between Dixon Kanaan and Hornish for the championship. am i missing anyone?

Last edited by jenna; 6 Feb 2004 at 22:30.
Old 7 Feb 2004, 02:25 (Ref:866029)   #17
MLM
Veteran

MLM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer
I don't blame you for compiling a list, rusty. It gets old listening to everyone bash the IRL on safety.

Renna's tragic accident, and Bracks awful one to, would not have turned out differently, if they had been driving Champ Cars. Mario's high-flying Indy Car, would have been a high-flying Champ Car, had he been driving one.

High-speed oval racing is just inherently dangerous, no matter which open wheel car is driving it. And like Boots said, injuries are more common.
Unfortunately, there is no such thing as a %100 safe race car.
Fortunately, there have been great strides in safety the last few decades.
I wish the IRL will make their cars a little more stable.
But I'm not going to say to or about a driver "you're gonna die if you get into one" or "better take flying lessons"

THAT,IMO, would be incredibly tasteless, given the high risk of the sport.
I just hope it's a safe season for ALL racing competitors! (I'll drink a chardonnay to that )

Last edited by MLM; 7 Feb 2004 at 02:27.
Old 7 Feb 2004, 02:25 (Ref:866031)   #18
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
tanalised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Congratulations jenna on becoming a Racer!
Maybe Castroneves too?
Old 7 Feb 2004, 11:37 (Ref:866280)   #19
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I think Dixon will shine through yet again , he has the speed and the team behind him and experience now (not that you would have noticed that last year?) so i think if ganassi can provide a good car and im sure he will then Dixon will be the man way out in front of everybody , there just isnt anyone else in the running in my mind.
Old 7 Feb 2004, 15:01 (Ref:866381)   #20
oily oaf
Racer

oily oaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sam's the man.
Old 7 Feb 2004, 21:31 (Ref:866616)   #21
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Well, it looks like we all have the favorites covered, but what do you think of the rest? Any of these guys ready to step out and make a move?

1-Buhl
2-AJ Foyt
3-Matsuura
4-Rice
5-Sharp
6-Wheldon
7-Greg Ray

I've got hopes for Sharp. He's been as close as third in the championship, and been with Kelley Racing for some time now. At 35 years old its time to make a move. He was born and raised near me, so he's a sentimental favorite.

Last edited by GP Racer; 7 Feb 2004 at 21:32.

Danica Patrick
Old 7 Feb 2004, 23:10 (Ref:866702)   #22
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Greg Ray , if his team can raise good money and provide good equipment , he should be the best of the rest.
Old 8 Feb 2004, 20:56 (Ref:867403)   #23
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Greg Ray has to be the worst driver ever to win a major racing series.

The number of embarrassing performances that man's produced over the years and he still comes back for more.

Got to admire his resilience - but really!!
Old 9 Feb 2004, 03:09 (Ref:867739)   #24
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
I thought 2003 was a very good year for Greg , he stayed out of trouble and produced some decent drives , you never know what can happen in 2004.
Old 9 Feb 2004, 06:47 (Ref:867812)   #25
jenna
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by tanalised
Congratulations jenna on becoming a Racer!
Maybe Castroneves too?
god, it's only like the third time i've become one! it used to be 10 posts i think and then they changed it to 50 and i was a rookie again, then they changed it to 100... now i'm here for the third time, they'd better not change it again!

i don't know about Castroneves, he was so hot and cold last season, and especially cold at the end of the year. he's good but i don't think good enough to challenge Dixon or Hornish. he'll prob end up in about the same position as last year.
I'm SO not a fan of AJ Foyt, i try not to judge anyone in a bad way but it really seems like he's only there because of who he his, not how good he is.

Last edited by jenna; 9 Feb 2004 at 06:48.