Old 11 Sep 2004, 17:18 (Ref:1093093)   #1
Mr Horsepower
Rookie

England
Derby
Mr Horsepower should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How Do I Volunteer for F1 GP's Abroad?

Hi,

Could someone please tell me how I go about volunteering to marshal at one of the European F1 Grand Prix's in 2005???

Thanks

Last edited by Mr Horsepower; 11 Sep 2004 at 17:19.
Old 11 Sep 2004, 19:34 (Ref:1093161)   #2
John Newman
Subscriber
Racer

England
Near, (but not quite) Towcester
John Newman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't speak to Peter Todd at the MSA as you are supposed to do.
Waste of time.
Old 11 Sep 2004, 22:50 (Ref:1093323)   #3
SJC-214
Racer

SJC-214 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have marshalled at the Canadian GP for the last three years and I know several people who have marshalled in Australia.

The easiest way is to contact the organising clubs direct for example the ACIND in Canada and CAMS in Australia.

Which European GP was you interested in doing?
Old 11 Sep 2004, 22:59 (Ref:1093329)   #4
SJC-214
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by John Newman
Waste of time.
I'm afraid this is bad advice as you need a form "Request to Marshal Overseas" from Peter Todd at the MSA.

Once you have obtained an invitation from the Organising Club the MSA will inform them and will recommend that you assist at that event. You will also receive a letter from Peter Todd that you have to show when you sign on.

If I can be of any further help please PM me. Good luck
Old 12 Sep 2004, 18:51 (Ref:1094319)   #5
andrew_powell98
Racer

andrew_powell98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ste For the US and Australia I never informed the MSA , but for Australia I did fill in a green insurance form, I never recieved a letter from the MSA.
The only bit of work I had to do was get the BMMC to back up my credentials for CAMS, USAC just got me to fill out a form. I have heard mixed reports about the way to go through volunteering abroad, so I guess the correct way is to go throught the MSA, but you can do it by contacting the foregin club and provide them with credentials.
Old 12 Sep 2004, 20:01 (Ref:1094382)   #6
G Tanner
Racer

England
Weston-super-Mare
G Tanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1. First step is to contact the organising club and arrange to be invited.
2. Once you have an invite, ask the MSA for a Overseas Marshalling Form.
3. You should fill this out and return it to them. Peter Todd will then send you a letter of authorisation which I believe is also copied to the relevant ASN / Club.
4. You do not need to do this if you wish to marshal in Ireland as both countries have reciprocal arrangements.
5. I know others have done it differently, but this is the correct way.
Old 13 Sep 2004, 12:54 (Ref:1095122)   #7
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by SJC-214
I'm afraid this is bad advice as you need a form "Request to Marshal Overseas" from Peter Todd at the MSA.
Right there Steve!

Once you have marshalled abroad the MSA will normally send you a couple of "Request to Marshal Overseas" forms as a matter of course each year!

In my experience, the MSA have sent approval back to me within a week of applying!

The FIA Website have a list of ASN's along with contact details - which should be your starting point to get an invite!
Old 13 Sep 2004, 13:07 (Ref:1095136)   #8
aprescott
Racer

United Kingdom
At a computer in Hampsire!!
aprescott has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by John Newman
Waste of time.
Well I emailed him my details and within 2 days had the required forms. The MSA get a lot of stick I know but hold on a bit if it wasn't for them there would not be any organised racing in the UK.

I shall now set down from my soap box!!

Old 13 Sep 2004, 22:57 (Ref:1095767)   #9
SJC-214
Racer

I see several of you agree with me on this, so thanks for that.

Andy I'm not saying your right or wrong on this but I know a marshal who persistently turned up at the Canadian GP without the proper authorisation from the MSA and eventually enough was enough and they refused to let him marshal.

Its up to the individual in question whether you want to take the chance or not personally I would rather do it the correct way and go through the MSA.

I have always found Peter Todd and the MSA very helpful on this matter.
Old 13 Sep 2004, 23:04 (Ref:1095774)   #10
spottymarshal
Rookie

England
Chatham,Kent
spottymarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with that. I also marshalled the Canadian GP in 2003 and even though i had only just upgraded from a Trainee I was made welcome by everyone and thoroughly enjoyed my time in Canada.

I also gained some invaluable experience over the whole weekend.

My thanks also goes to Dave Hammond who helped me with the process at a local level.
Old 13 Sep 2004, 23:20 (Ref:1095779)   #11
Vandas
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Vandas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CAMS LAUNCHES NEW WEBSITE FOR AUSTRALIAN GRAND PRIX OFFICIALS

The Confederation of Australian Motor Sport today launched a new website for Australian Grand Prix (AGP) officials. As joint event organiser with the Australian Grand Prix Corporation, CAMS expects the website to encourage new officials to join the team and also keep existing AGP officials informed of developments throughout the year.

The website contains the following:
* Information and application forms on how to become a volunteer official at the AGP
* Details on the sporting structure and roles of different officials at the AGP
* Frequently asked questions
* AGP Officials’ Newsletters

"The period leading up to this magnificent event each year is an extremely busy time for CAMS and its massive army of volunteer officials. I am confident that this initiative will go a long way towards recruiting and maintaining the number of officials required to successfully run an FIA Formula 1 World Championship event," said CAMS Chief Executive Officer, Dr Rob Nethercote.

AGP Organising Committee Chairman, Tim Schenken, also praised the initiative.

"The Australian Grand Prix is regarded as the most well organised and executed Formula 1 event anywhere in the world and this is due, in no small part, to the efforts and commitment of the 1,000 plus volunteer officials who keep flocking back to the Albert Park street circuit each year. The task of living up to this international standing year after year is certainly a challenging one and this new website will assist greatly in that pursuit," said Schenken.

The Australian Grand Prix officials’ website is located at Australian Grand Prix Officials' Website