Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 12 May 2005, 14:46 (Ref:1299219)   #1
B Friendly
Racer

United Kingdom
East Yorkshire
B Friendly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rallycross Circuits

Since Chunder in another thread on this forum called Pembrey and Blyton circuits 'bleak', I thought I would start a thread to get views on what you all think are the best circuits in GB and Ireland, to marshal or race at.

To marshal at the three I like the most are.............drum roll..................
1) Blyton, excellent view of the whole circuit, regardless of which post you are on.
2) Lydden, same reason as Blyton but with hills (makes racing more exciting, but only a little!)
3) Croft, Quite good view of the circuit, decent facilities.

Now what are your's?
Old 12 May 2005, 16:28 (Ref:1299291)   #2
sihorton
Racer

England
up north, aka lancashire
sihorton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

My personal favourite to race at are:-

1: Anglesey (yet to race in rallycross there, but the track is a beauty, just a shame there changing it later this year)
2: Lydden hill (love the ampitheatre style layout)
3: Croft (fast flowing circuit with good spectator facilities and also it's the nearest to home which is good for friends and family to come and support the team)

Least favourite is blyton because it's too dusty, lack of spectator / driver facilities and also i don't have a good history there

si
Old 12 May 2005, 17:44 (Ref:1299360)   #3
Upside Down Bug
Veteran

England
Kent
Upside Down Bug should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1. Lydden - coz its so close to home and the reason why I'm so much of a petrol head.
2. Mondello - coz the people there are so friendly and always up for the crac.
3. Joint - Anglesey, Knockhill and Croft - coz I really enjoy visiting the places.

But......I don't think you can ever have a bad rallycross track, they are all unique, and offer something different in driver challenge, officiating and spectating.
Old 13 May 2005, 08:19 (Ref:1299696)   #4
silver bullet
Race Official
RallyCross Legend and Scourge of Top Gear Presenters
Veteran

United Kingdom
silver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My favourites would be

1. Lydden Hill - It's such a great track to race at. Flat out down hairy hill, box down, turn right onto the loose at paddock, WOW
2. Brands Hatch - Once again a great track. The blind right hander into tumbledown, and also off the knife edge over Hoppys drop, again I say WOW
3. Anglesey - Another challenging circuit, great to drive and a nice view.
4. Pembrey - A cracking track to race at even in the WET

To spectate at , I would probably have the same top three, at Lydden & Anglesey you can almost see the whole circuit from just about anywhere, this was also true at Brands until they built the new pit complex, but I would bring Mondello in a number 4. for the craik
Old 13 May 2005, 10:32 (Ref:1299780)   #5
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Lydden for me it's a great setting for racing - you can see the whole circuit and provides fantastic racing.

Brands is pretty good too but I loathe that debris fencing.

Mondello is good apart from the weather

I know what chunder means about Pembrey and Blyton being bleak - I'm not saying they're bad circuits (far from it) but the very nature of their location and the fact that they're old airfields means they're exposed to the best and worst mother nature has to offer. I'd imagine Pembrey can be a very cold place at times Without the airfield circuits there would be a distinct lack of circuits (Pembrey, Blyton, Croft, Snetterton, Silverstone, Thruxton, Castle Combe - anywhere else?) so we shouldn't complain.
Old 13 May 2005, 11:01 (Ref:1299805)   #6
Cryos
Veteran

MagnetON
Cryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mondello !!! The weather is great BertMk2 !

To keep the national IQ higher, we prevent links in the signatures. Its clearly in the notice, but that doesn't stop some people moaning about it..
Old 13 May 2005, 12:10 (Ref:1299841)   #7
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxie
Mondello !!! The weather is great BertMk2 !
Maybe if you're a duck!

I seem to remember rain, rain and rain. Followed by some rain. There was a brief bright spell (just long enough to get your coat off) before some more rain arrived. That was of course followed by some more rain.

It did make the racing interesting though there was plenty of sideways action at the first corner!
Old 13 May 2005, 12:34 (Ref:1299857)   #8
B Friendly
Racer

United Kingdom
East Yorkshire
B Friendly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2
Maybe if you're a duck!

I seem to remember rain, rain and rain. Followed by some rain. There was a brief bright spell (just long enough to get your coat off) before some more rain arrived. That was of course followed by some more rain.
When myself and five other marshal's ventured over there for the second round of the BRXC, we brought over some sunshine in thanks of the hospitality, only to find it backfire when I get covered head to toe in dust! . I did however take my goggles with me and was given a dust mask, together with my silly (but highly conventional) hat, and yes I did have my photo taken of a marshal who shall remain nameless (you know who you are)

Sort of off topic but what the hey!!
Old 13 May 2005, 12:42 (Ref:1299861)   #9
Rookie

England
Near France
206180 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1 Lydden The home of Rallycross, nostalgia and Paddock Bend.
2 Pembrey Location maybe bleak but track is fast and flowing.
3 Brands just because its Brands
Old 13 May 2005, 13:24 (Ref:1299901)   #10
bigted
Veteran

bigted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have the picture right here!
Old 13 May 2005, 17:36 (Ref:1300103)   #11
MiniMadness
Veteran

Canada
Glen Allen VA/Kent UK
MiniMadness should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lydden - Although I've had my big crashes there it's a great place to drive and to spectate.
Brands Hatch - Lots of history but shame they changed the track as I quite fancied racing through the pits !!
Anglesey - Definately a leveller especially when it rains. Thats most days !! Plus I won my first Rallycross there. I'm a bit sentimental.
Old 13 May 2005, 18:44 (Ref:1300164)   #12
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Seeing as though I am implicated in the starting thread I will put forward my 4 penneth.
Current tracks, only Lydden and Croft stand out, and mainly coz you can see most of the track at each.
Pembrey is a decent track just in the middle of nowhere and as for Blyton, well it is nothing more than an oval with a chicane, more challenging than it looks i imagine but after spending wat seemed like half of my life there a couple of years ago my view is tainted somewhat.
Fave tracks are every track in Scandinavia! Cadwell (awful forsafety but great fun) the old Croft, Gollop and Schanche sidweways on full lock at 120mph. Also enjoyed the old Knockhill, dont know if the new one is any good
Old 14 May 2005, 19:40 (Ref:1300941)   #13
ebby
Racer

United Kingdom
near Lydden, Kent
ebby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To spectate:

1. Lydden Hill
2. Lydden Hill
3. Lydden Hill

The Home of Rallycross

and only 7miles from my house
Old 15 May 2005, 10:07 (Ref:1301194)   #14
grasser26
Rookie

Wales
West Wales
grasser26 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Pembrey is a decent track just in the middle of nowhere
Chunder, you might think its in the middle of nowhere but its on my doorstep its also close to Ireland so perhaps they might like to run around of the Irish championship here and also Anglesey is close to them as well, just a thought!!
And when you are in the bar at Pembrey in the wet (clubmans Oct.04)you can see 50% (approx) of the circuit
Back to the thread:- Lydden-viewing of couse
Mondello-Fantastic atsmosphere
Knockhill -once you are over the bridge good veiwing of
the loose section.
Must go and book hotel for Knockhill now
Old 15 May 2005, 13:28 (Ref:1301435)   #15
peespeed
Racer

Ireland
Carlow, Ireland
peespeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
grasser, Pembrey and Anglesey have both been used in the past as venues for rounds of the Irish Championship
Old 15 May 2005, 22:47 (Ref:1301824)   #16
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
flagwaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why was Cadwell "Awfull for safety" ?
Old 16 May 2005, 00:21 (Ref:1301851)   #17
Cryos
Veteran

MagnetON
Cryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peespeed
grasser, Pembrey and Anglesey have both been used in the past as venues for rounds of the Irish Championship
And should be used again IMO when anglesey is back open for business

To keep the national IQ higher, we prevent links in the signatures. Its clearly in the notice, but that doesn't stop some people moaning about it..
Old 16 May 2005, 19:02 (Ref:1302476)   #18
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Cadwell was awful for safet becase you sped along the bottom of charlies corer on the race track alon a bit of shale/mac then dropped down a hill over the rise and there was a hard right turn on the brow as he track turned on to te back straight. I remember in its heyda a lot of drivers saying the wouldnt race there again coz the track was like an ice rink, off camber, clay to tarmac, bit like the exit of chessons but blind and with the wall even closer.
I seem to remember a few years later there were a lod of accidents near the finish line at Lydden, Gollop, Te Pas and the horrid Golf/Metro one on the video, but nothin seems to have been done about that.
Old 16 May 2005, 20:26 (Ref:1302545)   #19
DCS
Racer

DCS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a European I really would like to see a European round in Lydden Hill as soon as possible! Why Lydden?

It is a very fast circuit!
It is very close for all Europeans especially from Holland, Belgium and France!
I could littery walk to the train, take the train and walk on the ferry and take a cab to the circuit!
You can see a lot of the track!
It is the best to spectate!

I have been there in 1990 (when Alamaki was missing due to his crash) and in 1996 (when the cars were extremely quick)...
Old 16 May 2005, 21:40 (Ref:1302605)   #20
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxie
And should be used again IMO when anglesey is back open for business
As long as they keep the "jump" in the middle of the rough, it was rather "interesting" to be at the flag post with Dermot and the other supercars coming over the crest sideways with all four wheels off the ground!
Old 16 May 2005, 21:46 (Ref:1302607)   #21
Cryos
Veteran

MagnetON
ah im jealous you see, cos theve driven there and i havnt ! sure next time theres a round there ill come over the crest on the roof! mid air!!

Old 16 May 2005, 21:53 (Ref:1302613)   #22
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
My favourite part of that round was when Dermot's bonnet pins gave way on the first lap, just off the start line and the flipped up bonnet didn't actually slow him down much and the only reason he failed to finish the heat was that he was tapped off.
Old 16 May 2005, 22:21 (Ref:1302623)   #23
ebby
Racer

United Kingdom
near Lydden, Kent
ebby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chunder- there is a tyre wall almost around the entire perimeter of Lydden now, I remember Binks' smash in his BMW mini last year i think it was.
Old 16 May 2005, 22:38 (Ref:1302630)   #24
Pug620
Racer

United Kingdom
UK
Pug620 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best curcuit has to be Anglesey cos its the only place i have won an A Final!!!

Croft for the first corner
Blyton for the coner after the back straight
Lydden for the down hill section (and the following bend)
Brands cos it just feels special racing their
Anglesey for the above reason

I think all tracks have their own special reasons so i am looking forward to Knockhill at the end of the month

Marty
Old 17 May 2005, 16:44 (Ref:1303064)   #25
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
flagwaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chunder, can't say I can remember any serious accidents at cadwell, a few Spectacular ones maybe. So maybe it was more of a perception than an actual safety issue. Or was it that the top guys had to cut a few more groves in their tyres?