Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 13 Sep 2005, 08:45 (Ref:1406447)   #1
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Le Mans Classic 2006 (merged)

Just had details through with date confirmed as July 7/8/9 & final class extended to 1979
Old 17 Feb 2006, 13:36 (Ref:1525042)   #2
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That'll teach me to leave booking things until a mere five months in advance!!

I've just managed to secure hotel accommodation in Alencon, there being nothing in the budget range closer to Le Mans than that for the Classic weekend.

Be warned, folks - this one is starting to catch on.
Old 17 Feb 2006, 14:57 (Ref:1525107)   #3
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Now then Tim, the more budget range of Accor hotels (such as the new Etap in LM centre) don't start to take bookings until 100 days before the day you want to stay. So there is still time (hopefully) to get a cheap bed.
Old 17 Feb 2006, 20:11 (Ref:1525301)   #4
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
One day I will get to the Le Mans Classic, sadly I can only afford one trip to France this year and thats for the main event in June.
Old 17 Feb 2006, 21:21 (Ref:1525349)   #5
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Happy Snapper and I will both be there - blooming good deal - camping tickets 70 Euros a pop and 57 euros total for GA, Paddock and FREE grandstand place alongside the start/finish line!
Old 19 Feb 2006, 17:27 (Ref:1526318)   #6
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's definitely worth moving heaven and earth to see, for sure.

Truckosaurus, be warned that the online booking facility for Accor and Formule 1 doesn't allow booking more than 100 days ahead of time, but they still take bookings for sure. I was on the phone to Formule 1 in Arnage (my first choice of accommodation) and they were sorry but they'd been booking for July for weeks and "je regrette monsieur, l'hotel est complet"...
Old 20 Feb 2006, 08:49 (Ref:1526751)   #7
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
To be honest, with a little preparation ( and assuming you have a group to share the load) camping is preferable to me in the middle of summer

We do take kitchen sinks, showers etc, not just sleeping on a bed of empty 1664 bottles !
Old 24 Feb 2006, 09:29 (Ref:1530516)   #8
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Preliminary entry list now available via Classic Driver magazine :

http://www.classicdriver.com/uk/maga...0.asp?id=12857
Old 24 Feb 2006, 13:27 (Ref:1530684)   #9
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
what a great line up

good to see a few 'normal' cars in there Peerless GT, MGA, TR3 etc
Old 2 Mar 2006, 08:10 (Ref:1534425)   #10
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
not one I have any great desire to compete in - the accidents and general driving standards especially during the night terrified those I know who did it and in one case led to a leading driver to retire and hang up his helmit. His Lister is now back out with its new owner.
Old 2 Mar 2006, 09:45 (Ref:1534508)   #11
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
The idea of flat out with 6 volt candles on the front of a fragile car being driven by an OAP in the dark doesn't give the impression of ultimate safety, but I'm sure its not that bad !

The Historic support races at the Main 24 hours race have always appeared to be well driven, albeit in broad daylight.
Old 2 Mar 2006, 09:48 (Ref:1534514)   #12
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
very different race and yes i agree
Old 3 Mar 2006, 12:25 (Ref:1535382)   #13
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Simon-same races,same drivers
Old 3 Mar 2006, 12:29 (Ref:1535387)   #14
simon drabble
Veteran

hmm good luck to those in it then! Are you taking any of your equipe to it?
Old 4 Mar 2006, 06:31 (Ref:1535915)   #15
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Cars will at both the 24 hrs and Classic.The Classic is in my view the best of the major historic races and a must do.Presumably you are refering to Nicks Lister.
Old 4 Mar 2006, 21:27 (Ref:1536337)   #16
simon drabble
Veteran

yup, he was pretty horrified by the driving standards from the non British drivers. Its always the risk of driving in "one offs" as opposed to regular championships where you learn who the loons are!
Old 24 Jun 2006, 23:09 (Ref:1640580)   #17
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Le Mans Classic 2006

I don't believe there is yet a thread about the 2006 running of the Le Mans Classic (7th - 9th July) in the Sportscar and GT forum (there is one in the Classic/Historical forum).

Anyone else attending?

I'm going as a passenger in my mate's new Roush Mustang and we're camping up in the Karting Nord site.

I went to the first Classic event (4 years ago?), so it will be interesting to see how things have changed for the 3rd running of the event. I expect it will be a lot busier, and sunnier now it's in the height of summer not in September.

What cars or drivers are people looking forward to seeing?
Old 25 Jun 2006, 10:12 (Ref:1640738)   #18
WouterM
Racer

Netherlands
WouterM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We will be there again for Ultimatecarpage.com. In fact I have not missed a single running of this event. The Howmet should be an interesting sight and sound.
Old 25 Jun 2006, 20:26 (Ref:1641072)   #19
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thread merged with that in historic. Redirect left. It is still 10-10ths, don't worry.

It is a wonderful event, unfortunately I won't be attending. It is bad enough that I am having to cope with the FOS and Flying Legends being on the same weekend.
Old 30 Jun 2006, 11:29 (Ref:1644814)   #20
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Anyone know how strict the ACO will be on policing the dress code for entry into the paddock? I attended the first Classic and they didn't seem to be stopping anyone on the gate (although there might have been differing standards applied to locals and rosbifs ).
Old 30 Jun 2006, 17:26 (Ref:1645081)   #21
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
They haven't been particularly strict before now, I found. They were hoping to do something like the Goodwood Revival, but the more sultry climate seems to have dashed that.

I have to admit I've even taken my tie off in the Plateau 5 paddock - and I didn't get thrown out!

One tradition I do hope they maintain is the delightful grey "belle epoque" uniform that some of the ACO's ladies were wearing. If one squinted, one could almost be transported back to 1890s Paris as they greeted you from underneath their parasols.
Old 30 Jun 2006, 19:24 (Ref:1645167)   #22
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimD
One tradition I do hope they maintain is the delightful grey "belle epoque" uniform that some of the ACO's ladies were wearing. If one squinted, one could almost be transported back to 1890s Paris as they greeted you from underneath their parasols.
You can remember that far back then, Tim?
Old 1 Jul 2006, 01:23 (Ref:1645426)   #23
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
I have enough trouble remembering last week, youngtimer!
Old 2 Jul 2006, 19:05 (Ref:1646622)   #24
Matthew Sturmer
Rookie

Matthew Sturmer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If anyone is going down, come over for a chat as I am driving the Invicata no 63 in the early class. All support will be most welcome.

Matthew
Old 10 Jul 2006, 09:28 (Ref:1652045)   #25
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Got back home at midnight last night, a little tired this morning

What a fantasic event though.

I'll put a link up to my photos once I upload them....