Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 23 Jan 2016, 18:50 (Ref:3607391)   #1
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Pau Historic GP

Includes FJ Lurani Trophy & Iberian Historic Endurance
Old 12 Apr 2016, 20:04 (Ref:3632173)   #2
rbm
Racer

rbm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pau Historic

I could do with some Pau advice, from the old hands at this being street circuit what is the paddock like?

or

basically is one we can we sleep in the back of the van or do I need to find accomodation?

cheers Richard
Old 12 Apr 2016, 20:30 (Ref:3632177)   #3
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Richard, I've only 'done' Pau once, but am going again next month. Although we had a budget hotel last time, and have accommodation again this year, it appeared before that the 'truck park' had porta-loos and water laid on. May have been electric in some places as well, but can't be sure. No idea if will be same this time!

If in your van, you wouldn't be in the paddock, that's inside the track for most grids, but outside in an industrial area near the railway station. Seasoned paddock types such as our Delta stay in hotels, so perhaps that suggests the preferable option?

I only booked recently using a booking site and there was still a choice of accommodation available. If you're prepared to cycle / walk / taxi a bit, there are several budget hotels outside the centre that are good value.

See you there! Mike
Old 12 Apr 2016, 22:48 (Ref:3632204)   #4
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Richard,

I was there with Iain a few years back. At that meeting we stayed in the truck.

The paddock is compact and tented. No support vehicles.

The truck and "camping" park are (or certainly were then) on the other side of the start/finish straight.There's a bridge to connect them once the track is closed.

This area is alongside the rail station. The station bistro is not at all bad for food but the main area of the town is up a load of steps the other side of the paddock.

That particular year there were several portaloo installations in place but they were "secured" until the meeting's official start day. Iirc it was a 3 day meeting but only 2 days were racing and they only opened the loos for the racing days. So we had 2 or 3 days (arrival, set up and practice day) with rather limited camping facilities.

I seem to recall that showers involved some free standing standpipes.

Back then the "Historique" meeting preceded the "Moderne" event by a week but with a clash of dates in "Monaco Historique" years they swapped the weekends. That may still be the case - I have not checked.

Whether being the second weekend means things are "different" I have no idea. Also, iirc, the race organisers changed (Peter Auto when I was there, locals now I think) and that may also have had some effect.

Probably best to get some feedback from someone who was there last year.

The track and camping area would be OK with a camper. Or a large truck like Iain's. Not so much fun, perhaps, with a van in which one can "overnight". Especially if it's wet.

Great place though.
Old 13 Apr 2016, 05:35 (Ref:3632239)   #5
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Richard,

I was there with Iain a few years back. At that meeting we stayed in the truck.

The paddock is compact and tented. No support vehicles.

The truck and "camping" park are (or certainly were then) on the other side of the start/finish straight.There's a bridge to connect them once the track is closed.

This area is alongside the rail station. The station bistro is not at all bad for food but the main area of the town is up a load of steps the other side of the paddock.

Great place though.
In summary- logistically more like Goody Revival than a race meeting!

Yes, no longer a Peter Auto event.

Think I was there year after your visit, Grant, and Delta decided not to repeat the 'truck hotel' experience due to poor facilities.

The bridge is pedestrian only, from memory, and vehicles / heavy equipment can only cross track at certain times between races.

Never found the station bistro! Do remember a 'homeless' presence in the station area, however. Believe there were security patrols, though.

Good eating in town, and great event.
Old 13 Apr 2016, 07:45 (Ref:3632253)   #6
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Inner paddock is liable to surface water flooding as it is in a hollow, if there is a choice, opt for a spot that is not the lowest ground! The centre of the inner paddock is particularly vulnerable.
When it rains at Pau, it really rains!
Old 13 Apr 2016, 11:28 (Ref:3632295)   #7
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
When I was there with Iain, the subject of which car would I like to race at the meeting came up. 'Certainly not my Morgan' was the immediate response. 'With all those camber changes and bumps, it would be hideous'.

Months later I was looking through my archive pics of the +4 in previous owners hands- and there it was, racing at Pau! And one of the pics showed the car in a monsoon, struggling through a flood at some point of the circuit......
Old 13 Apr 2016, 17:30 (Ref:3632378)   #8
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
We are all booked in the town square hotel somewhere . It's got to be one of my favorate places .
Old 2 May 2016, 09:34 (Ref:3637777)   #9
rbm
Racer

gents, is fuel available at Pau (or am I going to have to take fuel for both Monaco and Pau)?
Old 2 May 2016, 10:40 (Ref:3637785)   #10
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I normally stop just out of town and fill up the cans Richard . There is no fuel at Pau
Old 2 May 2016, 17:20 (Ref:3637899)   #11
rbm
Racer

cheers Iain.
Old 20 May 2016, 05:07 (Ref:3643112)   #12
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Although I'm regretting the clash with HSCC Silverstone this weekend, climbing the steps up to the town centre yesterday eve, and turning to see the Pyrenees back dropping the whole scene, somehow made up for not being there!

Dry and sunny today, but looks like late sat and all sun could be showers. I've bought wellies.....

Old 20 May 2016, 11:34 (Ref:3643204)   #13
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Although I'm regretting the clash with HSCC Silverstone this weekend, climbing the steps up to the town centre yesterday eve, and turning to see the Pyrenees back dropping the whole scene, somehow made up for not being there!

Dry and sunny today, but looks like late sat and all sun could be showers. I've bought wellies.....

Certainly a challenge Mike.

Pau or Silverstone ..... Pau or Silverstone ....

A tricky decision.
Old 20 May 2016, 19:50 (Ref:3643312)   #14
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Certainly a challenge Mike.

Pau or Silverstone ..... Pau or Silverstone ....

A tricky decision.
Yes but no..... Here's the view looking over the paddock this morning-
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg  
Old 20 May 2016, 21:54 (Ref:3643341)   #15
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Yes but no..... Here's the view looking over the paddock this morning-
So, you're regretting not being at Silverstone then?

If it is still there the eatery at the station is in the building that is at 90 degrees to the station building at the extreme right of your photo.

Good luck to all who are there.
Old 21 May 2016, 07:31 (Ref:3643381)   #16
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Been tree car pile up already . F3 cars . And that was just practice
Old 21 May 2016, 09:02 (Ref:3643390)   #17
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Tree?
Old 21 May 2016, 13:08 (Ref:3643426)   #18
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
Tree?
Unlikely but not impossible at Pau.

Reminds me of the old joke about "Tree fellers wanted".

Obviously the phone spell checker was unable to correctly compute the intended message.

Not warm here in Donington. cloudy, damp threatening and rather windy.

I presume Silverstone is much the same.

How about Pau?
Old 21 May 2016, 13:30 (Ref:3643430)   #19
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Sorry Three . Baking hot . Qualy delayed untill 17.00 hours I've just had a little nap . Time for a cuppa now . 🤐
Old 21 May 2016, 20:48 (Ref:3643506)   #20
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
It was well and truly scorchio today, hard work on the pit wall!

Great day for delta team though, all Juniors going well, with Iain P5 in the Lola. The E Type got quicker and quicker as the drivers dialled themselves into the circuit, and they finished 18th in the grid of 45+ cars.

Latest forecast for tomorrow is rain arriving in the morning, then turning to sunshine and showers later. That's better than has been suggested over last two days! Definitely something happening, though, as wind changed direction and increased in strength this evening......

Early start in the morning as the Patisserie close to hotel is not open on Sunday, so we need to search out some quassons elsewhere!
Old 21 May 2016, 21:47 (Ref:3643511)   #21
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

I've just seen a Pau GP related page with a weather link suggesting 31 C at Pau on Saturday!

If that was real time - around 23:30 local - truly a tad warm.

Meanwhile this link seems to offer Live timing and results.

http://gp-pau.motorstools.com/results
Old 22 May 2016, 05:59 (Ref:3643561)   #22
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
I've just seen a Pau GP related page with a weather link suggesting 31 C at Pau on Saturday!

If that was real time - around 23:30 local - truly a tad warm.
Yes, it was that hot. However....... Thunderstorm during night, and started more thunder and raining this morn just as we were walking to the circuit. Now parked in a lake!

Old 22 May 2016, 11:18 (Ref:3643590)   #23
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Should cool the tyres nicely Mike.
Old 22 May 2016, 12:16 (Ref:3643602)   #24
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Yes, it was that hot. However....... Thunderstorm during night, and started more thunder and raining this morn just as we were walking to the circuit. Now parked in a lake!

I see the lap times are still somewhat off yesterday's qualifying so presumably it's more like boating than driving?

Neil Fowler seemed to have a good race in the FF1600s.

Lap times before the red flag seem to suggest he would not have caught the leader unless something adverse happened or there was a safety car?
Old 22 May 2016, 14:43 (Ref:3643620)   #25
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Guess what- we've finished racing and the sun's come out!