Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 22 Dec 2004, 12:48 (Ref:1185848)   #1
Toth
Racer

Toth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Really big GPL problem.

I've got a serious problem with GPL. When I start the game, I immediatly get an error message, sometimes a windows message stating there's some kind of exception, sometimes a blue screen stating the same. Then the computer crashes.

So I reboot, and try again. The second time I try to start gpl the comuter crashes immediatly. I reboot again, but halfway through the reboot I get a nice black screen with the message that there is a "security exception" and windows won't be started.

And that is the end. Nothing I've tried could get my computer working again. All I can do is reboot to a dos-prompt, format my c-drive and re-install windows.

This pattern is always the same.

Scandisk shows no problems, I've got no virusses or add/spy-ware.

When I completely remove gpl and re-install: same problem. Re-install gpl, then add v1.2 patch and d3d patch: same problem.

I'm doing this in windows 98, and other games have no problems. My games are on my "d:\"-partition, with windows on the "c:\"-partition but that never caused any trouble.

I've never heard of this problem, wish I could search the racesimcentral forums but they've dissappeared. Anything I've ever wanted to know I have found on ten-tenths (well, car-related) so I really hope someone has an idea. Now that I've finally got internet at home I was ready to make a fool of my self on vroc.
Old 22 Dec 2004, 13:37 (Ref:1185908)   #2
spanner
Veteran

United Kingdom
Mid Beds, "The UK's rubbish dump"
spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Few Questions..
I would suspect its something to do with the D3d patch or memory related. Have you changed drivers recently? Have you changed ANYTHING recently? Does it work in normal software mode?

Have you done a thourough scandisk?
Old 22 Dec 2004, 13:59 (Ref:1185934)   #3
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I had this back in september...

I just reformatted in the end. I was trying to figure out what on earht the problem could have been, but I couldn't find it.
FWIW, I'd had XP SP2 on my machine for about a month before hand, I don't know if it was related, but if you're on XP and have SP2 you might try uninstalling it.

If it is indeed the same problem, it won't work in D3D, OpenGL, or software mode, it just won't work at all with anything, and I can't remember changing anything before it happened. It was wierd because it was working at midnight on wednesday, and it wasn't at 5pm on Thursday, and the computer had been switched off in the intervening period.

Last edited by pirenzo; 22 Dec 2004 at 14:01.
Old 22 Dec 2004, 13:59 (Ref:1185935)   #4
Toth
Racer

I haven't changed anything before this problem started, I got internet and a different videocard recently, but I had the problem before that.

Even without the d3d patch I get the same problem. I've tried a fresh install of gpl with no mod or patch...same problem. When I tried to start gpl without d3d patch it was in software mode.

A thorough scandisk may reveal the problem, but since my pc is rather slow that would take a lot of time. I did a thorough scandisk scan overnight but it locked up after it had about 2/3 done. No problems till then. But I should try it again indeed.

The only thing I can think of is that indeed a section of my harddisk is damaged, physically. But when I remove gpl and re-install isn't the game put in a different part of the disk, randomly? I've got a few Gb of space left.

What I also find odd is that I get the error message immediatly after clicking the gpl.exe. It's like clicking on a shortcut of the error message.

And these error messages are great too, is there anybody that can use "exception at #3272x-9587" or something like that?
Old 22 Dec 2004, 16:03 (Ref:1185995)   #5
Chris Y
Nature's servant
Veteran

United Kingdom
Over there, over here
Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!
It's probably memory related. See if you can get hold of a memory scanner (mem x86 or goldmem perhaps) and see if there's a problem there.
Old 22 Dec 2004, 19:48 (Ref:1186157)   #6
Toth
Racer

I've done a thorough scandisk-scan, didn't show any problems.

Then I did a memory scan with goldmemory. I think the test went fine, it took 2 hours though... The report file seems te be from a completely different scan...odd since I never did one... Well, as far as I could see there were no problems but I'll have to try again later.

Thanks anyway, at least I learned something new today!
Old 31 Dec 2004, 20:57 (Ref:1190753)   #7
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Toth,

Two questions:

1.) You are running Windows 98, right?
2.) Does GPL crash when you play it online, offline or both?

Regards,

Muzza
Old 4 Jan 2005, 11:08 (Ref:1192737)   #8
Toth
Racer

First question: yep, windows 98.

Second question: It crashes when I start the game offline, I only got internet at home recently and was about to get some practice before starting online...

Sorry I didn't respond sooner, I was away from home and didn't think about gpl for a while (I guess the withdrawal symptoms are gone, I've stopped practicing throttle and brake under my desk during "work"....)
Old 4 Jan 2005, 15:22 (Ref:1192915)   #9
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Hello, Toth,

No problem. Since I believe that the percentage of users able to successfully run GPL under Windows 98 is higher than those with XP SP2, you are in better luck than me - so no need for despair (I am to the point pf reaching that...).

Ok, are you sure you are running all patches? It seems me that you have collected yours from a variety of sources (my apologies if I am wrong). Why don't you try the all-in-ones available at Thomas Magnus' website? (http://trackdb.d2g.com/all-in-one.asp). See if this works.

Regards,

Muzza
Old 5 Jan 2005, 10:24 (Ref:1193495)   #10
Toth
Racer

You're right, I've got my patches from all over the net, I'll get the all-in-one patch and try that. I don't have much hope though, I've got the exact same problem with a completely "clean" GPL as with various patches. But it's certainly worth a try, maybe it'll fix something I don't know about yet.

Thanks for your help, it's much appreciated.
Old 6 Jan 2005, 19:44 (Ref:1194678)   #11
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
My pleasure, Toth. I am just a novice, but if you pop a question here some of our experts will surely give you a hand.
Old 6 Jan 2005, 23:02 (Ref:1194831)   #12
Toth
Racer

I've just re-installed GPL, then applied the all-in-one patch. But unfortunately I've got the exact same problem. If I try running gpl.exe again I'll have to format my c-drive again so I'm not gonna do that tonight.

Oh well, thanks for you advice. One day I'll get gpl going again. I'll probably have to buy a new computer, but at least I know it's worth it.

Last edited by Toth; 6 Jan 2005 at 23:03.
Old 6 Jan 2005, 23:07 (Ref:1194837)   #13
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Toth,

Where did you install GPL? You mentioned drives C:\ and D:\. Sometimes this does make a difference. Try uninstalling everything and re-installing GPL (and patches) under C:\program files\sierra\.

Good luck,

Muzza
Old 6 Jan 2005, 23:36 (Ref:1194855)   #14
Toth
Racer

I've installed it on the d: drive. I've always had it on the d: drive and that never was a problem for years. Then again, i'ts another thing I haven't tried yet...
Old 8 Jan 2005, 16:59 (Ref:1195953)   #15
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
'C' is always the default drive - for most software.
Old 8 Jan 2005, 22:53 (Ref:1196138)   #16
carsreunited
Racer

England
Kettering
carsreunited should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Xp

Probably of no use whatsoever but I have a cheapo Dell sith SP2 preloaded, purchased GPL last week after reading many of these threads. It kept crashing (the computer and me) at completely random moments. Downloaded the all in one patch and hey ho, haven't had a single problem since.

Bear in mind that the cheapo DELL base unit (Dimension 2400) can be brought for £200 at the moment which might save a few headaches in the long run. Hope you get it sorted Toth.

PS. Its my first post in this area of the forum so Hi to everyone. I might try one of these online races if I can string more than three laps together without crashing!

Scott
Old 8 Jan 2005, 23:04 (Ref:1196145)   #17
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, it would be better to exhaust all options on his current machine first, before looking at a new one, which however cheap, is pretty drastic just for a sim!
Muzza seems to have finally got somewhere with his problem, and that took a long while, so I wouldn't give up on Toth's current PC yet

Anyway...

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...89#post1182689

Might wanna look there Scott
We post in there whenever we're gonna be online. Which sadly isn't as often as it used to be... Still, looking out for it near the top.

When you feel a bit more confident with driving online, also check out the ten-tenths online league thread at the top of this forum (the 'hot topic')

Same goes for you Toth when you get everything sorted out

Last edited by pirenzo; 8 Jan 2005 at 23:06.
Old 8 Jan 2005, 23:38 (Ref:1196167)   #18
carsreunited
Racer

England
Kettering
carsreunited should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok

Thanks for that. I'll keep a look out for it. Is there anywhere I can go for car set up advice. I bought the 'Sold Out' version which comes with no manual whatsoever.

Thanks.

Scott
Old 9 Jan 2005, 00:10 (Ref:1196192)   #19
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
There were/are a few, but with so many GPL sites down with problems right now, they're very hard to find...

Here's one > http://www.bhmotorsports.com/guide/44

That one I like because it recognises everyone is different. Most others try to prescribe a 'correct' method. Which is wrong, because there isn't one.
Bear in mind though, the sort of quick fix guide at the end has got a lot wrong in it. (to do with the effect of stiffening the springs IIRC, it says that stiffening rears = more understeer when in fact it = more oversteer.)

Last edited by pirenzo; 9 Jan 2005 at 00:12.
Old 9 Jan 2005, 12:53 (Ref:1196467)   #20
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by carsreunited
Probably of no use whatsoever but I have a cheapo Dell sith SP2 preloaded, purchased GPL last week after reading many of these threads. It kept crashing (the computer and me) at completely random moments. Downloaded the all in one patch and hey ho, haven't had a single problem since.

Bear in mind that the cheapo DELL base unit (Dimension 2400) can be brought for £200 at the moment which might save a few headaches in the long run. Hope you get it sorted Toth.

PS. Its my first post in this area of the forum so Hi to everyone. I might try one of these online races if I can string more than three laps together without crashing!

Scott
Big welcome to you Scott. We'll be pleased to see you on line, perhaps in the TTFRL soon!
Old 9 Jan 2005, 12:54 (Ref:1196468)   #21
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
By the way, on finding GPL, I spotted a copy of the Sold Out version in a second-hand shop in Southampton last week. No copies of F1C available though.....
Old 9 Jan 2005, 14:25 (Ref:1196523)   #22
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
the sold out version has a manual . but it's in digital format . pdf files ..

Ciao Marco
Old 9 Jan 2005, 14:47 (Ref:1196536)   #23
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
But it doesn't have 'four wheel drift'
What a great little book that is. It came with the original game, and basically teaches you how to get started driving and making setups.
I actually keep it on my bookshelf rather than in the box!
Old 9 Jan 2005, 18:40 (Ref:1196660)   #24
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I have two copies of both manual and Four Wheel Drift as I picked up an older copy of GPL about 2 years ago second because it had both books.
Old 9 Jan 2005, 21:04 (Ref:1196764)   #25
Toth
Racer

I only got four wheel drift and the manual as pdf's. Four wheel drift really is essential for a beginner. Especially when you don't have internet.

New hardware might be the only thing that helps but not untill I have tried everything else. The stupid thing is that I have to re-install windows after every second attempt to start gpl...that doesn't motivate you a lot to keep trying.

As I'm even more broke than usual there's no other option.