Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 10 Apr 2017, 18:15 (Ref:3725355)   #1
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
IMSA: USCR 2018

I thought I should get this thread going since the 2016/2017's title looking forward is about to go out of date.

It looks like WTR is looking to further expand into both Lamborghini ST and GTD

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/wt...ansion-to-gtd/

Other Rumors / Stories for 2018
- Penske DPi (Honda-Oreca)
- Joest DPi (Hyundai, Audi-Dallara)
- Lexus to GTLM
- PC on the way out
- Volvo to either DPi or Monster Truck Racing according to Fox over the weekend which was almost as bad as Jack Warner citing The Onion

Last edited by Dyson Mazda; 10 Apr 2017 at 18:23.
Old 10 Apr 2017, 18:57 (Ref:3725357)   #2
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
-If both Honda and Audi came into DPI then you will be back to or exceed ALMS 2008 levels of depth in the prototype class.

-Still awaiting what BMW's new GTLM/GTE model will be. I hope they do what Porsche and Ford do which is run both series (WEC) where the cars have the same paint scheme and same car number. I like the continuity.
(side note: Imsa Porsches say 912 and 911, but to me its essentially 91 and 92 since nobody else runs them)

-Class color codes should change since LMPC is going away. I suggest: DPI = red, GTLM = green, GTD = blue

-Long Beach should go back to Proto/GTLM only

-Would love to see more all GT races. Maybe even one GTD only race.

-Lexus to GTLM would be awesome!

-WTR Lambo in GTD would be awesome!

-Would not surprise me to see Nissan in GTD in 2018
Old 10 Apr 2017, 19:06 (Ref:3725362)   #3
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Here's what I see happening-

One more dpi team, probably the Honda/Acura whatever they badge it. And maybe one more Cadillac. +2, 3 cars

One more lmp2 and possibly another team full time. +1, 2 cars

No Lexus GTLM, but at least one in GTD, same thing for the NSX. -1, 2 cars

Two new BMW GTLM's. +2 cars
Old 10 Apr 2017, 19:57 (Ref:3725378)   #4
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Two new BMW GTLM's. +2 cars
BMW would run four cars in GTLM?

Chris
Old 10 Apr 2017, 20:26 (Ref:3725382)   #5
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
-If both Honda and Audi came into DPI then you will be back to or exceed ALMS 2008 levels of depth in the prototype class.

-Still awaiting what BMW's new GTLM/GTE model will be. I hope they do what Porsche and Ford do which is run both series (WEC) where the cars have the same paint scheme and same car number. I like the continuity.
(side note: Imsa Porsches say 912 and 911, but to me its essentially 91 and 92 since nobody else runs them)

-Class color codes should change since LMPC is going away. I suggest: DPI = red, GTLM = green, GTD = blue

-Long Beach should go back to Proto/GTLM only

-Would love to see more all GT races. Maybe even one GTD only race.

-Lexus to GTLM would be awesome!

-WTR Lambo in GTD would be awesome!

-Would not surprise me to see Nissan in GTD in 2018
I think the numbers plates should just be (matching the Weathertech Colors)

P: Black number, white background
GTLM: Red number, white background
GTD: White number, red background
Old 10 Apr 2017, 20:31 (Ref:3725383)   #6
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson Mazda View Post
I think the numbers plates should just be (matching the Weathertech Colors)

P: Black number, white background
GTLM: Red number, white background
GTD: White number, red background
What the blazes? That's a horrible idea.
Old 10 Apr 2017, 20:41 (Ref:3725384)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Can they just have different color wing mirrors?
Old 11 Apr 2017, 03:57 (Ref:3725427)   #8
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonerz View Post
BMW would run four cars in GTLM?

Chris
No but I think there's a possibility of another Porsche and a Ferrari.
Old 11 Apr 2017, 09:19 (Ref:3725458)   #9
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
I doubt all the current P class cars come back next season considering how horrendously uncompetitive some (most) of them are. If there's a fourth Cadillac it will be a current team but I don't see why GM would bother. Really nothing but the Cadillacs and the #90 seem certain. Not to say they won't be replaced but I don't see a lot of stability with how much trouble teams are having running those cars.
Old 11 Apr 2017, 09:30 (Ref:3725465)   #10
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
I doubt all the current P class cars come back next season considering how horrendously uncompetitive some (most) of them are. If there's a fourth Cadillac it will be a current team but I don't see why GM would bother. Really nothing but the Cadillacs and the #90 seem certain. Not to say they won't be replaced but I don't see a lot of stability with how much trouble teams are having running those cars.

Agree, gibson lmp2 cars simply don't stand a chance against cadillacs.
Considering that there are at lest 6 cadillac chassis (4 fox AXR and 2 for WTR) very likely spirit of daytona will get one of them next year.
ESM and speedsource surely will keep on with their package, but is very unlikely that oreca/ligier teams will stay next year.

Penske dpi program can be real only with HPD involvment = HPD pays for everything.
Audi/Joest/Bentley/whatever is just fan fiction so far
Old 11 Apr 2017, 14:49 (Ref:3725531)   #11
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Can they just have different color wing mirrors?
I'd prefer mirrrors and wing sideplates to have different colors for each team entry.
Old 11 Apr 2017, 15:32 (Ref:3725543)   #12
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
No thillieth...

Pathtel colorth on the thidewallth for eacth clath....

jimclark
Old 11 Apr 2017, 15:39 (Ref:3725545)   #13
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
Agree, gibson lmp2 cars simply don't stand a chance against cadillacs.
Considering that there are at lest 6 cadillac chassis (4 fox AXR and 2 for WTR) very likely spirit of daytona will get one of them next year.
ESM and speedsource surely will keep on with their package, but is very unlikely that oreca/ligier teams will stay next year.

Penske dpi program can be real only with HPD involvment = HPD pays for everything.
Audi/Joest/Bentley/whatever is just fan fiction so far
Rebellion was on pole for Sebring, and the 85 JDC/Miller car was in contention for hours at Sebring. That car was also quite good at Long Beach. If a team at or near Rebellion's level was to run a Oreca/Gibson for the whole year, they would be in contention for wins straight away, especially at fast and flowing circuits, which make a good portion of the schedule. Sufficed to say, I really don't think we lose every LMP2 entry; especially not if IMSA allows teams to change gearbox suppliers, or make other changes that make the cars more American-circuit-friendly.

VFR will very likely run a DPi next year, but I don't think it is a certainty that it will be Cadillac.

The Penske/Honda connection would be a serious threat to Cadillac, and seriously amp up the level of competition in the prototype class, no doubt.

Joest and Audi have each been quoted on their genuine interest in the DPi/IMSA Prototype category. Do I think either program will show up in 2018? I doubt both will - unless Audi tasks Joest with their DPi program, but if Audi doesn't show in '18, I think they are likely in '19, and Joest may be a great candidate for a TPNAEC entry, given a sponsor or manufacturer willing to pay the bills.

Perhaps I err too far on the side of DPi/LMP2 being a success, but I really think you are being far too cynical about its chances.

Chris
Old 11 Apr 2017, 16:16 (Ref:3725552)   #14
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
I think it's more likely we gain more p2s than lose some. I could see teams from pc like starworks joining, especially with a pay driver of two. Its also more likely some of these teams will be kept around by adding an am category to allow a few cars to compete for their own class while also in the overall race. Maybe someone like shank coming in with 2 cars, one in the pro class and one in the am class. Same cars, all eligible overall, but kind of an extra reward for the gentleman drivers kinda thing.

Plus, why would any p2 runners be worried about competing in a bop class? Isn't that the whole point of bop?
Old 11 Apr 2017, 16:36 (Ref:3725557)   #15
JLGarcia
Racer

JLGarcia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJLGarcia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Rebellion was on pole for Sebring, and the 85 JDC/Miller car was in contention for hours at Sebring. That car was also quite good at Long Beach. If a team at or near Rebellion's level was to run a Oreca/Gibson for the whole year, they would be in contention for wins straight away, especially at fast and flowing circuits, which make a good portion of the schedule. Sufficed to say, I really don't think we lose every LMP2 entry; especially not if IMSA allows teams to change gearbox suppliers, or make other changes that make the cars more American-circuit-friendly.
A lot of the DPi vs P2 issue is the same as DP vs P2 in the past: who's running the cars. 2/3 of the full-time P2s are teams who are brand new to the P class and have pro-am driver lineups. It's not realistic that they'd be fighting for wins right out of the box, regardless of package. And Visit Florida- a better driver lineup in theory, but it's still all-new equipment for them. And let's be honest- they didn't exactly set the world on fire last year with *the* dominant package.

Quote:
VFR will very likely run a DPi next year, but I don't think it is a certainty that it will be Cadillac.
There was talk their Riley could become a Mazda DPi, possibly even before the season ends. Might not be a competition improvement for them, though.
Old 11 Apr 2017, 16:41 (Ref:3725559)   #16
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
WolfsburgRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLGarcia View Post
A lot of the DPi vs P2 issue is the same as DP vs P2 in the past: who's running the cars. 2/3 of the full-time P2s are teams who are brand new to the P class and have pro-am driver lineups. It's not realistic that they'd be fighting for wins right out of the box, regardless of package. And Visit Florida- a better driver lineup in theory, but it's still all-new equipment for them. And let's be honest- they didn't exactly set the world on fire last year with *the* dominant package.

There was talk their Riley could become a Mazda DPi, possibly even before the season ends. Might not be a competition improvement for them, though.
If they did convert to a Mazda DPI it would perhaps give us some additional insight into the package or Speed Source being the problem.
Old 11 Apr 2017, 16:46 (Ref:3725563)   #17
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

The Penske/Honda connection would be a serious threat to Cadillac, and seriously amp up the level of competition in the prototype class, no doubt.

Joest and Audi have each been quoted on their genuine interest in the DPi/IMSA Prototype category. Do I think either program will show up in 2018? I doubt both will - unless Audi tasks Joest with their DPi program, but if Audi doesn't show in '18, I think they are likely in '19, and Joest may be a great candidate for a TPNAEC entry, given a sponsor or manufacturer willing to pay the bills.

Perhaps I err too far on the side of DPi/LMP2 being a success, but I really think you are being far too cynical about its chances.

Chris
No way it'll be a Cadillac. They'd be silly to buy Rileys for one year then dump them all for Dallaras. If they had a bog-standard Dallara for this year it;d be a different story.
Old 11 Apr 2017, 17:18 (Ref:3725567)   #18
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Do DPi manufacturers HAVE to provide cars to customers? Or can Mazda say "No, that's for Speedsource only" ?

I agree with Matt - I don't see VFR moving to a DPi. I think the P2s will only get better, and I think they'll eventually want to take that car to Le Mans.
Old 11 Apr 2017, 18:03 (Ref:3725586)   #19
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Do DPi manufacturers HAVE to provide cars to customers? Or can Mazda say "No, that's for Speedsource only" ?

I agree with Matt - I don't see VFR moving to a DPi. I think the P2s will only get better, and I think they'll eventually want to take that car to Le Mans.
Mazda has said they are not ready to sell the car yet. Ultimately, IMSA want DPi to be something akin to GT3, where the homologation is set before the season, and teams can go out and buy equal equipment. However, the homologation for DPi cars are not set yet, as Marshall Pruett's recent article reported. I bet Mazda will want to settle the spec of the car before selling it. I wonder if they would be open to a different set of engineering eyes in helping determine the best package. Whether it be in addition to Speedsource, or has been called for here - in replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLGarcia
I thought the 55 car looked quite racey at Long Beach, where that little motor was probably out of its element. The global spec Riley could be the preferred package on short tracks over the swoopier Mazda-Riley. Of course, we have to wait for Detroit to see if that plays out.

Chris
Old 11 Apr 2017, 19:22 (Ref:3725606)   #20
TF110
Veteran

United States
Read the racer.com article, it explains how the dpi manufacturers can use a joker to improve their performance/package. So basically the cars are in 'limbo' spec and can possibly be rehomologated. I can see that happening with a team or two for next year.
Old 11 Apr 2017, 21:09 (Ref:3725636)   #21
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I want to see more races in the future.

Add Mid-Ohio, Barber and Portland!
Old 11 Apr 2017, 21:23 (Ref:3725638)   #22
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcz View Post
I want to see more races in the future.

Add Mid-Ohio, Barber and Portland!
It's a bit of a puzzler that IMSA, America's premier sports car series, isn't at the Mid-Ohio SPORTS CAR Course. I imagine Honda's (likely) increased presence in the championship will put pressure on the series to get back to Mid-O.

But I'd like to see both Mid-O and Barber added; and has a PNW native, Portland would be a great add, but I'd be interested to see what the crowd turnout would be.

If it means losing a round, I'd not mind seeing Detroit and Long Beach go. But if the manufacturers want those markets, those races will remain.

Chris
Old 11 Apr 2017, 21:24 (Ref:3725639)   #23
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgRS View Post
If they did convert to a Mazda DPI it would perhaps give us some additional insight into the package or Speed Source being the problem.
or they might find a whole new collection of ways not to succeed .....
Old 11 Apr 2017, 21:26 (Ref:3725640)   #24
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
No way it'll be a Cadillac. They'd be silly to buy Rileys for one year then dump them all for Dallaras. If they had a bog-standard Dallara for this year it;d be a different story.
Unless they figured that even a partially sorted Caddy could outrun a partially sorted Mazda.

Given what we have seen so far, I'd jump at the chance to get a Cadillac .... not so much a Mazda.
Old 11 Apr 2017, 22:22 (Ref:3725641)   #25
Aces
Rookie

United States
Aces should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can see PR1 and JDC moving up to Dpi, maybe even getting the Cadi package as well. Both Bobby Oergel and John Church have said that the goal is to be a part of a Dpi program. What better way to do that than with the Cadi Dpi. Of course, they could remain with the global spec p2 next year too because I can't see them making a move that early. We'll see.